The old men say: “Living life is not a field to cross.” Each of us had, and more than once, had to face various (emotional or physical) stresses. Someone had to suffer from the loss of love, someone was disappointed in the best friend, someone lost his favorite job, someone suffered a great threat to life and health. There are a lot of such situations. In some cases, having gone through something like this, we temper our character, become wiser, and with some we cannot fight, and then we find ourselves at the mercy of depression.
Most often, depression is in the nature of a reactive or situational disorder. It takes time to disappear, supporting understanding and love. In the event that negative emotions, depressed mood, apathy, a sense of worthlessness, a decrease in sexual activity, headaches, loss of appetite and insomnia do not disappear for more than two weeks, then the help of a friendly and qualified doctor is indispensable.
However, before the need for medical care arises, you have time to cope with depression yourself (of course, if the depression is not provoked by a mental illness).
Preventing adverse outcomes and the development of depression can be achieved through proper nutrition, consuming foods containing vitamins C, E, H, vitamins of group B, folic acid, and other vital elements.
The most powerful vitamins in the fight against depression are considered to be vitamins of group B.
They have a beneficial effect on nerve cells, strengthen the immune system, restore the health of the cardiovascular system, help in the absorption of nutrients, and take part in the synthesis of vital compounds.
This group consists of 8 elements that complement each other. That is why vitamin complexes for depression contain all 8 components of this group:
- B1 or thiamine
- AT 2
- B3 or niacin
- B5 or pantothenic acid
- B6 or pyridoxine
- Vitamin B7 (in some sources Vitamin H), known as biotin
- B9 or folic acid
- B12 or cyanocobalamin.
Their body receives only from the outside; they are not synthesized by themselves inside the body.
Vitamins of this group in large quantities are found in pig liver (liver and kidney), chicken meat, flounder and eggs, nuts, potatoes, bananas, legumes, fish, bread, greens, pepper, squid, dairy products, beef liver, mackerel, codfish, swordfish, sunflower seeds, brown rice.
By consuming these products, you can prevent the appearance of chronic fatigue.
To fill the lack of vitamin B12 can be taken under the tongue 500 mg of the substance weekly. Take 4-6 weeks. If the mood improves, then continue to take this dose, but once a month. To increase efficiency, treatment should be supplemented with a complex of vitamins of group B, since their action is more effective when they are combined.
Vitamin C, regulating the function of the adrenal glands, is involved in the production of cortisol. This element strengthens the nails, hair, restores the skin, thereby improving the appearance of a person. In addition, he takes part in the formation of bone tissue.
Vitamin C exhibits its greatest activity when flavonoids, carotenoids and vitamin E are present in sufficient quantity.
The body also does not synthesize this vitamin. This vitamin is contained in:
- Red pepper
- Black currant.
Vitamin A, known as growth vitamin, also has antioxidant properties. It helps strengthen the immune system and preserve the health of the eyes, mucous membranes, prostate gland, uterus, lungs, protects against respiratory diseases.
Helps to overcome emotional instability and chronic fatigue.
Natural sources of vitamin are:
- Red pepper
- Apples (red)
Vitamin E (tocopherol) supports the normal functioning of the internal organs. Responsible for the immune system and the production of sex hormones. People call it “female” vitamin and beauty vitamin.
- Lettuce leaves
- Pork fat
Vitamin D3 strengthens the nervous and skeletal systems, affects the state of the heart muscle, boosts immunity, helps maintain a normal emotional state. In addition, he is responsible for proper metabolism, quiet and prolonged sleep, emotional stability and reduced susceptibility of negative situations.
It is synthesized by the body when the sun's rays hit the skin. Contained in butter, egg yolk, fish oil.
The above vitamins work best in combination. Currently, pharmacy systems offer a lot of a wide variety of dietary supplements and balanced vitamin complexes that increase the protective mechanisms of the body.
The following vitamin preparations will help restore health and overcome depression:
- Doppelgerts asset Magnesium
- Vitrum Superstress
- Cheers up
The action of these drugs is aimed at improving overall health, appearance, removal of neuropsychiatric disorders, treatment of insomnia, increasing stress tolerance.
Biologically active substances
The human body is so complex a mechanism that in order to maintain it in a normal, healthy state, not only vitamins are necessary, but also a huge amount of various elements.
- Among them, a special place is occupied by tryptophan, which enters the body with foods rich in carbohydrates and proteins. Tryptophan is found in dates, turkey meat, cheese, bananas.
- Tryptophan is an amino acid that is a precursor of serotonin. Its deficiency causes apathy and general depression.
- No less important is dopamine. Despite the fact that it is not a neurotransmitter (special cell-guides), it facilitates the transmission of nerve impulses. It is synthesized inside the body from the amino acid tyrosine. The synthesis occurs with the participation of magnesium, vitamins B12 and B9. Tyrosine is rich in: bananas, lima beans, sesame seeds, homemade cheese, almonds, raw peanuts, avocados, dairy products.
- Responsible for the development of depression zinc deficiency. A clear example of this is postpartum depression. One day before birth from mother to child, the entire zinc supply is transferred. To compensate for its deficiency will help the use of brown rice, mushrooms, asparagus, radish, seaweed.
- Fatty acids are indispensable in the treatment of depressive disorders. They serve as material for the synthesis of prostaglandins, which contribute to the maintenance of good mood. Diet for depression should contain sea fish, beef, spinach, walnuts, shrimp, as all these products are rich in fatty acids.
- Glycine, which is familiar to many, is a building component, a neurotransmitter, regulates metabolic processes, activates processes of protective inhibition. Its deficiency leads to increased irritability, fatigue, not ability to concentrate. The substance is synthesized inside the body. Fill the deficiency of glycine by taking the drug Glycine.
Depression and unhealthy diet
Both a deficiency and an excess of vitamins and minerals can provoke depression. So a high level of magnesium contributes to the development of persistent depressive disorder. To detect the level of magnesium can be using a special blood test.
Zinc deficiency can be detected using the following test:
- Do you have white spots on your nails?
- Do you rarely suffer from hunger?
- Do you often notice the pallor of your skin, or do others talk about it?
- Do you have stretch marks on your belly and back?
- Do you have problem skin (acne and oily)?
- Do you often have colds?
In the event that there are two or more “yes” answers, this indicates a zinc deficiency.
Contributes to the development of depression and the emergence of suicidal thoughts, the use of large amounts of fat. A large amount of fat found in fatty meats. For this reason, food for depression should be balanced, fatty meat is replaced with lean proteins contained in fermented milk products, poultry meat, fish.
An excessively large amount of glucose contributes to the development of gloom and apathy. During depression, it is worthwhile to limit the intake of sweets.
Depression and food allergies
Often, when you go to the clinic in cases of depressive disorder, it turns out that the cause of the disease is hidden in intolerance or the presence of food depression. Symptoms of this disorder are manifested in the form of:
- Skin diseases
- Dark circles under the lazy
- Feelings of anxiety
“Guilty” products are identified with a blood test or a special test. Based on the test results, the allergen should be removed from the diet. Usually such a measure is enough to return the normal mood.
According to medical research data, the most common allergens in this regard are dairy products, wheat, citrus fruits, and corn.
Recommendations for catering
- Poor circulation or poor blood circulation can help reduce the level of oxygen in the blood needed by the brain. Solve the problem of a five minute charge.
- Improve blood circulation nutrition containing antioxidants (zinc, selenium, vitamins A, E, C). These substances are contained in fish, vegetables, fruits, and cereals. It will not be superfluous to supplement the diet with foods rich in iron, necessary for the synthesis of red blood cells.
- Contribute to the occurrence of depression jumps in blood sugar, which can be avoided by eating food, allowing you to evenly release carbohydrates.
- Herbs steamed with one liter of boiling water and allowed to infuse. At this time, crushed hips and pour boiling water (half a cup) for 10 minutes.
- Cranberries are ground with sugar. Mixed with dogrose and pour 1 ½ tbsp. boiling water. Insist in a dark place for two hours.
- Mix everything, filter. The resulting infusion is boiled. Cool. Drink one glass at mealtime.
Proper and balanced diet will help save not only physical but also mental health.
Vitamins from stress and nerves
Experiences cause different sensations: headache, digestive disorders, fainting, weight jumps. All this in aggregate greatly damages the nervous system. When a person is agitated, the stress hormone cortisol and free radicals are released in the body. It injures healthy cells, suppresses immunity. Antioxidants - vitamins from stress and fatigue can reduce the negative impact on the body.
Ascorbic acid for immunity
Vitamin C will help prevent stress, depression. It participates in the functioning of the adrenal glands, in which cortisol is produced. If you get enough ascorbic acid, you will notice that you have a better look. Your nails will become stronger, hair and skin - more beautiful. The element contributes to the rapid healing of wounds, the proper formation of the skeletal system.
The active action of ascorbic acid against stress is manifested when it interacts with flavonoids and carotenoids. The body itself does not produce this substance. You can get a useful acid by taking dietary supplements or by adding to your diet:
- red pepper, broccoli, tomatoes, cauliflower,
- watermelons, melons,
- currants, strawberries,
- dog rose
Vitamins for group B depression
These nutrients have a good effect on nerve cells, strengthen the immune, cardiovascular systems. It is advisable to use all the B vitamins in a complex way to overcome depression, fatigue. They are rich in bananas, nuts, legumes, peppers, potatoes, fish. Each vitamin from the group is responsible for certain functions in the body:
- IN 1. Beneficial effect on the central nervous system. With a deficiency of B1, a person becomes irritable, quickly gets tired.
- AT 2. It is responsible for the normal functioning of nerve and muscle cells, metabolic processes. If B2 is not enough in the body, severe depression can begin.
- IN 3. Regulates the processes of blood circulation, fat metabolism. Deficiency leads to sleep disorders, arrhythmias, heart disease.
- AT 5. Promotes rapid healing of wounds, suppresses inflammation and infections that can occur on the background of stress.
- AT 6. Deficiency causes irritability.
- AT 12. Restores nerve cells, is responsible for the onset of periods of activity and sleep.
Vitamins for depression in women
The fair sex is more likely to be stressed than men. This is due to the fact that their body is very dependent on changes in hormonal levels. Stress vitamins for women are very important, they help stabilize the condition. Thanks to them, depression will quickly pass, will have a minimal negative impact on the body. There are some vitamins that will be especially useful for women with depression.
So called vitamin A, the lack of which in the body can lead any person to depression, and in women also causes a violation of sexual function. This antioxidant is especially important to receive in sufficient quantity to adolescent girls who have just formed the reproductive system. It is contained in:
- red pepper
- sour cream
- cottage cheese,
- sea kale,
What vitamins to drink during stress
All the necessary components and trace elements in sufficient quantities to obtain only from food is difficult. To fill their deficiency, you can take the following drugs:
- Neuromultivitis. Vitamins for depression and stress pills. Well absorbed by the body, improve mood. Help in the treatment of the nervous system.
- Doppelgerts asset Magnesium. Vitamins with prolonged depression and stress, which normalize the work of the heart, brain, nervous system. Reduce anxiety. The drug contains vitamins of group B, ascorbic acid, tocopherol, magnesium.
- Vitrum Super Stress. Effective vitamins with prolonged depression and stress. The tablets contain iron, ascorbic acid. The drug fights not only with stress, but also with infections, chronic insomnia.
- Cheers up Excellent anti-stress, tones, gives the body energy. Increases resistance to stress and performance.
- Stress Aid. The complex contains many vitamins. The tablets have folic acid, choline, inositol, and many plant extracts. They will help neutralize stress.
What vitamins are not enough for depression
If you are constantly in strong feelings, the body is missing something. Some vitamins for depression and stress are especially needed. Their deficiency provokes a nervous overstrain, aggravated by certain external factors. If you feel a permanent depressive state, change your diet or take vitamin complexes that contain tryptophan, dopamine, magnesium and zinc.
With nervous psychological stress, vitamins are needed as medicines that can eliminate radicals, and bring the body to a normal state.
- Vitamins of group B. The strongest vitamins, without which treatment of depressive disorders is not cost, are considered to be group B vitamins. Vitamins of this group clean up the vegetative system and strengthen the immune system. Thanks to them, the necessary substances are better absorbed in the body. They also participate in the process of very important compounds.
- It is possible to eliminate the deficiency in the body of B vitamins with the help of pharmaceutical preparations. Reception is necessary to continue for 1.5 months. If the negative signs of depression are reduced, and the mood becomes more positive, then the vitamins continue to be taken once a month.
- B vitamins are eight types that complement each other. For this reason, when depression is recommended to take a complex of eight types of vitamins in this group. These vitamins the body does not produce, so they must come from food or as additives. Group B vitamins are rich in fish, cheese, vegetables, herbs, oranges, bread, squid, dairy products, seeds and brown rice. If you eat foods that contain vitamins of group B, then you can get rid of the constant breakdown.
- Vitamin C is considered the best antioxidant. It is important in dealing with stress, depressive disorder and loss of strength. Vitamin C also helps produce cortisol. Thanks to this element, hair, nails and skin are restored, and a person begins to look more attractive. Bone tissue also cannot do without this vitamin.
- Vitamin C enters the body along with watermelons, strawberries, tomatoes, broccoli, onions, red pepper, black currants and cauliflower.
- Vitamin A positive effect on vision, strengthens the immune system, protects against certain diseases. Vitamin A successfully fights with a permanent breakdown, as well as mood swings.In the body comes along with grapes, melon, peas, sea buckthorn, spinach and green onions.
- Vitamin E contributes to the optimal functioning of the internal organs. It has a beneficial effect on the production of sex hormones, so it is considered a vitamin for depression for women. Vitamin E is rich in lettuce, asparagus, tomatoes, nuts, eggs, turnips and spinach.
- Vitamin D3 It has a positive effect on the nervous system, increases the body's immune defense, supports a healthy emotional background. This vitamin can be obtained by walking on a sunny day, as well as from products such as butter, fish oil and eggs.
St. John's wort has a positive effect on the human nervous system. Hypericum preparations for depression - recommendations on the use you can find on our website.
How to recognize hidden depression and how to treat it, you will learn by reading this material.
What is the danger of deep depression and how to cope with it yourself, we will tell in this article.
How to cope with stress?
When stress, chronic fatigue and depression in the human body are produced in a large number of free radicals that damage healthy cells. It is possible to neutralize the effect of this process with the help of antioxidants. The most powerful group of these elements are vitamins:
This group of nutrients has beneficial effects on nerve cells and strengthens the immune system. Vitamins B restore the cardiovascular system, help to absorb nutrients, take an active part in metabolic processes and the synthesis of vital compounds, as well as prevent the development of depression.
The group of vitamins B consists of 8 elements that help each other work, therefore their complex use is welcomed. They should be received from the outside, as they are not produced in the human body. By consuming these elements with food or in the form of vitamin complexes, it is possible not only to overcome stress, but also to prevent the onset of chronic fatigue, which is so characteristic of emotional stress.
B vitamins are found in large quantities in bananas, nuts, legumes, peppers, potatoes, green leafy vegetables and fish.
Vitamin C is a simulator of the immune system and is a powerful antioxidant that helps not only get rid of stress, but also prevent the occurrence of fatigue and depression. Ascorbic acid is actively involved in regulating the functions of the adrenal glands that produce cortisol. This nutrient improves the appearance of a person, strengthening hair, nails and regenerates the skin, and also participates in the formation of the skeletal system and helps wounds heal faster.
This antioxidant is most active in the presence of a sufficient amount of other antioxidants in the body: vitamin E, flavonoids and carotenoids. Ascorbic acid is not produced in the body; therefore, food rich in it or biologically active supplements should be eaten daily. Nutrients not only help to cope with stressful situations, but also prevent the development of chronic fatigue, especially in the spring.
Vitamin C is found in red pepper, broccoli, tomatoes, cauliflower, all citrus fruits, strawberries, greens, watermelon, melon and onions.
Retinol is also a potent antioxidant that supports the immune system and helps maintain healthy mucous membranes. In the fight against stress, this substance is far from the last place, as it protects the body from respiratory diseases. The value of this substance is also in the fact that it preserves the health of the eyes and the prostate gland, positively affecting the condition of the cervix, heart and lungs.
Thanks to vitamin A, one can overcome not only emotional instability, but also leave no trace of chronic fatigue. Among the natural sources of retinol are fruits and vegetables painted in bright red and yellow colors: carrots, apricots, cantaloupe, pumpkin, and red pepper.
An extremely powerful antioxidant that helps fight emotional instability and prevent depression is tocopherol. This element supports the functioning of many internal organs and is responsible for the normal state of the human immune system.
Vitamin E is contained in nuts, lettuce, sunflower oil, spinach, turnips, beets, tomatoes and asparagus.
Considering vitamins, fighting stress, it is impossible to bypass this element, since due to its participation the condition of the heart muscle improves and the nervous system is strengthened. Enhancing immunity and strengthening the skeletal system are the main achievements of vitamin D3, without which it is impossible to achieve a person’s normal emotional state.
This element is responsible for the normalization of sleep, proper metabolism and is indispensable for maintaining a good mood. Due to its presence in the required amount in the body, the susceptibility of negative situations decreases and the emotional resistance to the onset of depression increases.
This vitamin is synthesized when sunlight hits the skin, and its amount can be replenished by eating butter and egg chicken yolk.
Treatment of depression medication
A common mental disorder characterized by a decrease in mood, impaired thinking and motor retardation is called depression. Treatment of this condition begins with the establishment of the cause and involves an integrated approach. Drug treatment of depression is carried out in parallel with psychotherapy and social therapy.
Drug treatment of depression is prescribed along with other methods.
Features of pharmacotherapy
The drug is selected by the doctor on the basis of symptoms and stage of the disorder. The patient is prescribed antidepressants with a stimulating, sedative effect. Drugs for which the patient tends to sleep are prescribed for the night. Stimulating drugs are recommended to be taken in the morning.
Indications for drug therapy
Treatment of depression is prescribed by a doctor when:
- Bright severity of symptoms.
- Highly suicidal risk.
- Social disadaptation on the background of the disorder.
- Endogenous depression.
Drug therapy is carried out under the strict supervision of a psychiatrist. The effect of some medications appears in 14-20 days. If the depression is severe, the treatment is carried out in a hospital.
High suicidal risk is one of the main indications for drug therapy.
Types of pharmacotherapy
Modern antidepressants are divided into 3 groups:
- Monoamine oxidase inhibitors,
The first group includes Amitriptyline, Aphazen, Imipramine. Amitriptyline has a sedative effect, calms the central nervous system. Its use contributes to the removal of anxiety, inhibition, reduction of motor arousal.
In the second group are Pamat and Nardil. They are taken for all types of mental disorders, high anxiety, uncontrolled appetite, drowsiness.
The third group includes drugs such as Luvox, Prozac, Celexa, Paxil, Zoloft. Drugs in this group are prescribed more often because they rarely cause side effects. Medications are prescribed for patients with depression, bulimia nervosa, social phobia, panic attacks, manic-depressive psychosis.
Prozac - an effective drug for depression and mental disorders
Coaxil is prescribed for patients suffering from high blood pressure or poorly tolerating antidepressants. Mild depression is treated with herbal medicine.
Medicines are taken 6 months. This period is sufficient to normalize the metabolism of neurotransmitters. After completion of the therapeutic course, the dosage of the drug is gradually reduced to the complete cessation of its use.
Acceleration of recovery processes contributes to the intake of vitamins for depression. When the body receives food containing carbohydrates and sugar, tryptophan is produced. This amino acid is involved in the formation of melatonin and serotonin, improves mood. Being a natural antidepressant, tryptophan suppresses manifestations of stress, reactive depression. The daily need for this amino acid is 0.25 grams. When a person is in a stressful situation, the need for tryptophan reaches 1 oz.
Tryptophan is found in:
Vitamin therapy is important for the treatment and prevention of depression.
The development of depression contributes to a deficiency of biotin. This vitamin is found in pork liver, chicken meat, kidneys, eggs, flounder.
Worth seeing: Books for Depression
The use of vitamin complexes
Knowing what vitamins for depression should be taken, a person will protect themselves from the painful symptoms. The doctor who prescribed the treatment recommends taking it:
- Vitrum Super Stress,
- Doppelgerz asset Magnesium.
The use of these tools helps to improve overall well-being. The nervous tension is removed, appearance improves, symptoms of insomnia disappear.
What vitamins to drink for women
Young ladies suffer from depression 2-3 times more often than men. They are usually diagnosed with postpartum or menopausal disorder. This is due to hormonal disorders.
Nursing mothers are assigned vitamin complexes containing zinc, vitamins A, B, and omega-3 fatty acids. The normalization of the functioning of the nervous system contributes to the consumption of vitamins B9. Zinc and vitamin D reduce aggressiveness.
Brain performance improves with regular use of vitamin B6. Women suffering from increased nervous irritability, it is recommended to take "MagneV6." This drug helps to relax muscles, relieve stress symptoms.
B6 vitamins improve brain function
Taking vitamins for depression in women should be combined with a change in diet. After giving birth, a young mother should regularly eat fish, walnuts, pumpkin, spinach. Vitamin C is found in vegetables, fruits, rosehips, cabbage, dill, pepper.
During menopause, women are advised to take the Osteo-Vit and Osteome vitamin complexes. Osteo-Vita contains vitamins B6 and D, which support the body during hormonal adjustment. Osteomed contains calcium citrate.
The development of drug depression
A disorder that develops in the presence of certain medications is called drug depression. The main provocateurs of this pathology include:
- Heart, antihypertensive drugs.
- Cardiac glycosides, antiarrhythmic drugs.
- Antibacterial drugs.
- Hormonal drugs.
- Chemotherapeutic drugs.
- Psychotropic drugs.
Worth seeing: Endogenous depression
For cardiac and antihypertensive drugs should include Verapamil, Obdizan, Dopegit, Clofelin, Reserpine, Raunatin. By antiarrhythmic drugs include Digoxin, Novocainamide. Isoniazid, ethionamide can provoke affective disorder. Depressive hormonal agents include hydrocortisone, prednisone.
Some drugs can cause medical depression, in which case they should be abandoned.
The development of a mental disorder is facilitated by the administration of Methotrexate, Vinbalstine, Vincristine, and other drugs prescribed for the treatment of cancer. Symptoms of depression appear while taking Aminazina, Diazepam.
After diagnosing drug depression, the doctor discontinues taking the drug that provoked it. If this is not possible, the depressogen dosage is reduced. Then the patient is prescribed antidepressants. The remedy is selected based on the presence of comorbidities and the severity of symptoms of drug depression.
Features of non-drug treatment
The main method of non-pharmacological treatment of depression is psychotherapy. If the disorder is severe, it is combined with the use of psychotropic drugs. More often, patients are prescribed passage:
- Cognitive behavioral psychotherapy,
- Body-oriented therapy,
- Art therapy.
Psychoanalysis has a remarkable effect. With the help of the doctor, the patient examines the experiences that have arisen in childhood, and analyzes the psychological traumas obtained then.
During the passage of existential-humanitarian psychotherapy, a person learns to properly build relationships with others. Classes are held both individually and in groups. People in similar situations can give wise advice. Art therapy should be referred to group activities. Visualizing the problem through drawing or modeling helps get rid of the painful symptoms. More complex cases involve the passage of gestalt therapy, NLP.
Often the treatment of a mental disorder involves physical exertion. Showing aerobic exercises, dancing, riding and cycling, swimming, jogging. When panic attacks and neurosis, it is recommended to do breathing exercises. Seasonal depression is treated by light therapy.
It is important to radically reconsider your diet. People prone to neurosis, stress, should abandon alcohol and food rich in "harmful" cholesterol. The mode of work and rest should be normalized. A person must sleep at least 7 hours a day.
Healthy sleep is the best non-drug remedy for depression
If possible, avoid stressful situations. The emergence of negative emotions often contributes to viewing news, various TV shows. It is advisable to abandon them in favor of light films, cartoons.
Social support is very important. The main role in overcoming this mental disorder is played by relatives and friends.
It will be interesting to read:
- Amitriptyline for depression: reviews of the drug
- Deep depression
- Panic attacks before menstruation
- Depression: Symptoms in Men
- Over-the-counter depression drugs
- Paxil with neurosis: reviews
- Anxiety Neurosis
Anxious neurosis belongs to the group of reversible psychological disorders caused by exhaustion.
Symptoms of the IRR and cervical osteochondrosis
Symptoms of the IRR and osteochondrosis of the neck or chest may be different.
How to relieve tension in the head during neurosis
How to relieve tension in the head during neurosis: dizziness and.
Psycholekar.ru - psychotherapeutic project of care in Russia and CIS countries
A link to a site or articles only with an active tag for indexing. 2017
The role of vitamins in improving well-being in depression
The attitude to depression in many people is not too serious. Many do not perceive it as a condition requiring medical care. Although the depression is officially listed in the International Classification of Diseases (ICD), where its clear diagnostic criteria are spelled out. Of course, anxiety, sleep disturbance and depression can also occur during stress at work, and even with the flu. But if within a month a person feels depressed mood and fatigue, has lost interest in cases that previously brought him pleasure - these are distinct depressive symptoms. When they are supplemented by inexplicable fear, a feeling of increased anxiety and anxiety, sleep disturbances and unstable appetite, inability to concentrate and make decisions - the doctor has reason to diagnose depression.
Depression can develop in response to stressful situations, concussions, and brain inflammations. Sometimes it is caused by a genetic propensity for an overly emotional reaction to stress. The basis of the depressive state is impaired functioning of certain brain structures, which is why the nerve impulses to the endocrine organs begin to undergo poorly and the production of a number of hormones, especially norepinephrine and serotonin, is disturbed.
Therapy of depression is selected by the doctor individually. The choice of drugs depends on the symptoms of the disorder. Medicines are supplemented with vitamins and minerals that can enhance the effect of drugs, significantly improve well-being and speed up recovery. The specialist may recommend nutritional correction, taking into account which vitamins the particular patient lacks due to concomitant diseases (for example, if depression is accompanied by problems with the digestive system). Sometimes, under the supervision of a physician, fasting days are practiced to reduce the manifestations of depression.
Antidepressant vitamin D
Scientists have long noticed that depressions are exacerbated and aggravated in conditions of lack of light - seasonal cloudy days or work in dark rooms. One of the effective methods of treatment is recognized as light therapy. Modern research suggests that depressive states may develop against the background of vitamin D deficiency, which is not produced in the right amount if the body lacks sunlight and its ultraviolet rays.
Scientific studies on the effects of vitamins and other bioactive substances on depression have shown that vitamin D regulates in the body the conversion of the amino acid tryptophan to serotonin. The functions of serotonin are:
- control of mood and its impulsive changes,
- supporting decision making
- appetite control,
- normalization of sleep
- reduction of anxiety
- control of aggressive behavior and suicidal tendencies.
Vitamin D is not only necessary for the synthesis of serotonin. He is actively involved in the endocrine system and affects the production of other important hormones, which may lack in depression.
Another function of vitamin D is to increase the activity of certain omega-acids, which are necessary for the synthesis of serotonin, improving the functions of the brain and nervous system.
Omega-acids that are needed in the treatment of depression
Where are the vitamins
During stressful situations, vitamins act as medicines with antioxidant activity. They help to restore the constancy of the internal environment of the body, by neutralizing the so-called stress products. Under their influence stabilizes the work of the nervous, immune, cardiovascular systems, as well as improves the digestibility of nutrients.
Pharmaceutical vitamin complexes against depression always contain the entire group B. It is important to understand that the human body itself cannot synthesize them. A high content of these substances is noted in products such as liver, chicken, eggs, nuts, bananas, greens, dairy products. With sufficient consumption, you can effectively deal with chronic fatigue.
To replenish cyanocobalamin deficiency, you can take 500 μg of this substance once a week. Upon reaching a certain positive effect, the frequency of admission is reduced to monthly.
By its nature, it is a strong antioxidant. At the mention of the phrase "vitamins with stress and depression" - this is the first substance that comes to mind. He is also actively involved in the endocrine system, affecting the production of cortisol. Another positive effect of this vitamin is strengthening nails, hair, bone formation. The maximum activity is observed with a sufficient amount of vitamin E, flavonoids.
The human body is also unable to synthesize this substance. You can get it from tomatoes, watermelons, broccoli, citrus, currants.
When depressed, vitamin A provides invaluable assistance due to its antioxidant properties. It also strengthens the immune system, a beneficial effect on such organs as the prostate, uterus, lungs, eyes. With a sufficient amount of it decreases the manifestation of fatigue. Its main sources are carrots, red apples and peppers, tomatoes, and pumpkins.
This substance has the greatest impact on the production of sex hormones, the immune system. In the people it is called a vitamin for women or a vitamin of female beauty. Natural sources are lettuce, spinach, nuts, turnips, eggs, tomatoes.
It is important to understand that the greatest effect can be achieved only with the complex use of vitamins. Today, there are quite a few pharmaceutical products that include the full range of these beneficial substances. To combat depression, they can also be used. The most famous representatives are Bodrovit, Undevit, Vitrum. Their use allows you to improve the patient's well-being, relieve nervous tension, overcome insomnia.
Poor diet for depression
It should be noted that depression can be triggered not only by a shortage of substances necessary for the body, but also by their excessive amount. For example, with a high level of magnesium persistent depressive disorders are noted. This condition can be identified through a blood test for electrolyte composition.
Zinc deficiency is also determined by a blood test, but there may be other symptoms, such as:
- The presence of white spots on the nails,
- Decreased appetite
- Severe paleness of the skin,
- The presence of stretch marks on the skin of the abdomen or back,
- Excessive tendency to catarrhal or viral diseases,
- Problem skin.
If there are two or more of the above symptoms, we can safely talk about zinc deficiency.
Depression can develop against the background of excessive consumption of fats that are found in meat, especially in its fatty varieties. Also, when a large amount of glucose is injected, mood decline may occur, which leads to the development of depressive states. In their development, it is necessary to strictly limit foods with a high glycemic index.
All of the above factors indicate that the nutritional ration of a person should be as balanced as possible in composition of nutrients, minerals, and vitamins.