By the age of six months, the nutrition that a baby receives in the form of mother's milk or an adapted mixture becomes insufficient for all the needs of an adult toddler. It is time to get acquainted with the new food, that is, with complementary food. Let's look at what new products can be given to try a six-month baby.
What foods are already available?
Six months is the time for the first feeding of an infant who was previously exclusively breastfed. The gastrointestinal tract is already ready to taste vegetables, cereals and fruits.
What product to introduce first, parents should decide together with the pediatrician. Poorly gaining weight, babies are recommended to start with cereals, and well-fed babies with frequent constipation should start feeding with vegetable dishes. Check out the feeding chart for breastfeeding.
Consider the following features:
- Vegetables are given in the form of mashed potatoes of one type of vegetables, offering crumbs for the first time 5 grams. Then the dose is carefully increased to the age dosage - 100 grams per day. When the baby is used to one vegetable, they begin to offer the second kind of vegetables, again starting at 5 grams.
- Porridge in 6 months is prepared without milk, but can be diluted with women's milk or a mixture. The first portion of porridge will be 10 grams, after which the total amount of cereals eaten per day is adjusted to 150 grams.
- Addicted to vegetables and cereals babies begin to offer fruit. They are also given in the form of a one-component puree - first, 5 grams per first sample, and then every day more than a daily dose of 30 grams.
There are also quite a few adherents of using for the first feeding of fermented milk products. Among them is the famous pediatrician Komarovsky. A popular doctor recommends that you start giving kefir to a healthy 6-month-old baby. The product is offered in the second feeding, gradually increasing the portion to 160 ml. From the fifth day of introduction to the diet of kefir baby Komarovsky advises to start adding cottage cheese to it. Its daily portion for a 6-month-old crumb is 30 g. For more details about entering feeding, according to Komarovsky, see another article.
In situations where the mother has little breast milk, or there is no opportunity to feed the crumbs with the adapted mixture, familiarity with vegetables and cereals is transferred to an earlier period - 4-5 months (we advise to adhere to our table of input of a feeding up at artificial feeding). At an earlier age begin feeding and kiddies-artificials. Such children for 6 months have long tasted fruit puree and cereal (non-dairy), as well as vegetable puree with vegetable oil. At 6 months of age, they only increase the portions of these dishes and begin to add butter.
Complementary feeding rules
- It should start with a single product, and each new product can be entered only after getting used (on average 3-5 days) and the absence of allergic reactions.
- You cannot give two products at the same time that the child was not familiar with before, because when a reaction appears, you will not be able to understand what product provoked it.
- The volume of product for the first sample is half a teaspoon.
- A new product should be given with milk from her mother's breast or with a mixture.
- Giving a new dish is in the morning feeding, then by the end of the day it will be noticeable whether the child is normally tolerating it.
- It is recommended to keep a diary in which to mark all products eaten crumbs.
- Acquaintance with the new food should be postponed if the baby is sick, as well as for the time of vaccination (three days before the vaccination and several days after it).
- If the crumb refuses to try a new dish, do not insist.
- In a situation when the product caused an allergy or other negative reaction, new dishes do not give up to the disappearance of painful manifestations.
How much should a baby eat?
The total amount of food per day for a six-month-old baby is calculated based on the data of his body weight. Children older than 6 months should eat a day in the amount of 1/8 to 1/9 of their weight.
Recommendations for complementary foods:
Maximum consumption in 6 months