The time when a woman is expecting a child is one of the most beautiful in her life. However, pregnancy does not always proceed calmly and without complications. Often this period causes a lot of unpleasant, painful and uncomfortable sensations. In this case, the future mother has no pathology. This article will tell you about why the leg hurts during pregnancy in a particular case. You find out the main causes of discomfort. It is also worth saying why often between the legs it hurts.
Pain in the legs
Expectant mother may experience discomfort in the lower limbs. In this case, the pain can be aching, stitching, pulling, itching, and so on. Each cause of discomfort has its own symptoms.
If you suddenly realize that your leg hurts during pregnancy, you should contact a specialist with this problem. To begin, visit your gynecologist and tell him about your feelings. The doctor will examine you and determine which specialist you require. If the leg hurts during pregnancy, then a rheumatologist, traumatologist, surgeon, phlebologist or therapist can correct the situation. The choice of a specialist depends on the cause of the pathology. Find out why the feet hurt during pregnancy.
This pathology occurs in almost 40 percent of expectant mothers. Women who abuse uncomfortable shoes or high-heeled shoes are at risk. Also, varicose veins during pregnancy often develops due to hereditary predisposition. In addition, pathology may occur in women who work in the service sector and spend all day on their feet.
As the pregnancy progresses, the genital organ increases greatly in size. This leads to the fact that the large veins of the pelvic pinch. The situation is especially aggravated when the expectant mother lies on her back or right side. Sore legs during pregnancy due to blood stagnation in them. This may cause convulsions, swelling, itching and other signs. Most often, symptoms appear by the end of the day. It is worth noting that discomfort can be noted only in one or both limbs.
To correct this state is not only possible but necessary. However, only a doctor should prescribe medications. Most often these are ordinary venotonics in the form of tablets. In this case, treatment is carried out only from the middle of the term. In severe cases (in the event of a thrombosis) surgery may be selected. Thus it is necessary to take into account the risk to the fetus and compare it with the benefit for the future mother.
Urolithiasis or kidney failure
Often, calves of the feet hurt during pregnancy due to a violation of the kidneys. If there are problems associated with this body, then you are at risk. That is why it is recommended even before pregnancy to carry out treatment if necessary.
As the uterus grows, the pressure on the kidneys increases. At the same time, the right side of the body suffers more. The ureters pinch and worsens the outflow of fluid from the body. All this leads to stagnation of urine and the occurrence of the inflammatory process. Pathology of the kidneys is accompanied by increased pressure on the vessels and urinary canals. In this case, the expectant mother is experiencing pain and discomfort in the groin area. The pain may give up in the shin or even the calf.
To treat the disease, of course, need. However, this can be done only after examining a specialist and conducting additional research. Diuretics, anti-inflammatory and antibacterial agents may be prescribed for correction. It all depends on the duration of pregnancy.
Lack of vitamins
Why do the bones of the feet hurt during pregnancy? Often, the discomfort is a consequence of an insufficient amount of vitamins and trace elements in the body of the future mother. With the development and growth of the fetus, it requires more and more calcium. This substance is necessary for the proper formation of bones, teeth and ligaments. A child in the womb takes calcium from the body of the expectant mother. This may be the reason for the lack of this element.
If the bones between the legs hurt during pregnancy and the reason for this is the lack of calcium, the treatment is quite simple. In most cases, the expectant mother is prescribed a multivitamin complex and a certain diet. All this very quickly corrects the situation and eliminates pain.
Reaction of the musculoskeletal system
If your leg muscles hurt during pregnancy, this may be due to a change in load. With the growth of the fetus increases the cavity of the reproductive organ. Outwardly, this is quite noticeable: the expectant mother’s belly grows heavily. Due to this process, the center of gravity may shift. The load on the back and legs increases. Expectant mother may experience lower back pain and lower leg pain. Also often, discomfort appears in the calf area.
Treatment in this case is not assigned. A pregnant woman with such symptoms needs more rest. If you are forced to spend the whole day on your feet, then try to periodically sit down and relax. Also salvation can be a bandage. However, this device must be selected by a specialist.
The divergence of the pelvic bones
If the bones between the legs hurt during pregnancy, the reason for this may be the approach of labor. Often, the expectant mother feels similar sensations from the middle of the term. In this case, there is a feeling that you rode a horse for a long time. No worries. After a few weeks this discomfort will disappear and it will become much easier for you. However, it is worth reporting this sensation to your gynecologist.
Some women do not feel how their bones diverge. Discomfort usually appears in thin and fragile women.
Body mass increase
Often, women have sore calves during pregnancy due to an increase in body weight. While waiting for the baby, fat mass increases, mammary glands increase. Also can not be said about the strong growth of the tummy. By the end of pregnancy, the weight of the reproductive organ is approximately seven kilograms. This includes amniotic fluid and baby weight. The breast of the representative of the weaker sex increases by at least a pound each. All this does not pass without a trace. Relatively fast weight gain affects well-being.
After about thirty weeks of pregnancy (some even earlier), lower limbs begin to swell. Many believe that this is a consequence of excess fluid and stop using water. However, this action is erroneous. Due to the rejection of heavy drinking, the situation can only get worse. If your feet and calves are swollen, then you should definitely inform your doctor. If necessary, you will be assigned a series of tests.
Most often, women are recommended to follow a certain diet: to give up all salty, pepper, fat. It is worth eating boiled meat, legumes and fish. Drink more. Prefer plain water, cranberry fruit drinks and hips. Raise your legs often or take a horizontal position.
If the leg hurts during pregnancy, then the wrong footwear could be the cause. Often this causes the problem of ingrown nails. Also, a bad pedicure can serve as a reason for the distortion of the nail plate. Remember that while the baby is waiting, the foot may swell a little. That is why it is worth buying shoes one size larger. Buy only high-quality products in which it will be convenient for you. Forget about narrow shoes and high heels. You will have time to wear them after childbirth.
If one leg hurts during pregnancy, the cause may be injury. It should be noted that during this period old damages can be felt. If you tucked up your leg a few years ago and did not attach any importance to this, then it can get sick while waiting for the baby. The thing is that during pregnancy there is an increase in the load on the musculoskeletal system, in particular, the legs. This can lead to inflammation of old injuries.
If a joint or bone hurts in a certain place, and the discomfort is aggravated by movement, then it is worthwhile to turn to a traumatologist as soon as possible. Most often, if a pathology is suspected, the doctor prescribes an x-ray. However, expectant mothers such an effect is contraindicated. That is why an individual examination and treatment scheme will be selected for you.
What to do to prevent pain in the legs?
If you want to avoid such unpleasant feelings, then you should follow some recommendations. Talk to your gynecologist and find out what preventive measures exist. Most often, doctors give the following appointments:
- lift limbs more often upwards so that there is a flow of fluid and blood from them,
- move more and walk,
- do not wear tight shoes and high heels,
- use compression underwear,
- use venotonics (pills and gels) as prescribed by a doctor,
- drink more blood thinners
- discard harmful foods and fatty foods,
- do gymnastics: swimming, biking,
- when forced to stand for a long time, periodically shift from one foot to the other and rise on socks,
- watch your weight gain and spend fasting days,
- Be sure to take vitamin complexes with calcium (in the absence of contraindications).
You now know why your legs hurt during pregnancy, and what to do with it. Watch your well-being. Easy pregnancy you!
Possible causes of pain
Each phenomenon has its own cause. Unpleasant sensations in the lower extremities - is no exception. There are a lot of reasons for hurting your legs during pregnancy.
Here are the most common ones:
- Varicose veins This is a pathological condition in which the vessels are deformed, and the stagnation of blood in them causes pain in the legs. This disease affects almost 40% of pregnant women. Pathology can be recognized by vascular "asterisks" appearing on the calf or thigh. Another sign: it is the right leg that hurts during pregnancy, which is explained by the pressure of the growing uterus on the large pelvic veins. The latter are pinched and lose bandwidth. And since the main flow of blood goes through the inferior vena cava, which is located in the right limb, it is most often affected. Read more about varicose veins →
- Edema. A very common reason why your feet may hurt during pregnancy. Usually appear after 30 weeks, but may occur earlier. They are explained by the fact that the kidneys do not have time to process the liquid, which then accumulates in the soft tissues. More about edema →
- Weight gain The growth of body weight of a pregnant woman is faster than the body can adapt to this. It becomes difficult for the legs to withstand the new load, so they hurt. Read more about weight gain →
- The reaction of the musculoskeletal system. It is characteristic for relatively late periods, when the stomach is already large. The center of gravity shifts, which causes the spine and legs to “feel” unusual. In response, pain occurs.
- Wrong shoes. Women who think about why their legs hurt during pregnancy should look at their shoes. Sometimes the reason lies in it. After all, from the first months of gestation, doctors recommend expectant mothers to give up high heels and other uncomfortable foot shoes. And if this requirement is not met, the legs start to hurt.
- The divergence of the pelvic bones. This is a normal phenomenon, indicating that the body is preparing for childbirth. Usually observed in the third trimester, but may occur earlier. Not even the legs themselves whine, but the bones between them - in the crotch area.
- Cramps. Often hurt calves during pregnancy due to a sharp muscle contraction. This usually happens at night. The pain is usually very severe, but it passes quickly. Convulsions pester pregnant women whose bodies lack calcium or iron. More on convulsions during pregnancy →
- Lack of vitamins can also provoke pain in the lower limbs. The child every day takes more and more useful substances from mother, their deficiency affects a condition of the woman.
- Urolithiasis or kidney failure. Exacerbated or occur for the first time, because the enlarged uterus is pressing on the kidneys and bladder. Sometimes the cause is an infection. Kidney and bladder problems affect the right side of the body more. But the left leg during pregnancy rarely hurts in such cases.
- Flatfoot. It sometimes appears in the waiting period of the child for the first time due to the fact that during pregnancy the load on the legs increases, and the connective tissue weakens.
- Mechanical damage. This can be both recently received and old injuries of muscle tissue or bones, which are felt due to the general weakness of the body.
Of course, this is not a complete list of the reasons for which there are discomfort in the legs. Sometimes pregnant women are diagnosed with thrombophlebitis, fibromyalgia, gastrointestinal myositis, arthrosis, arthritis, osteoporosis, or rheumatism. But these and many other causes are not directly related to pregnancy, so we don’t focus on them.
Night pain in the legs
One of the most mysterious and unexplored phenomena overtaking expectant mothers is considered to be restless leg syndrome. Its causes are unknown, and usually there are no other symptoms that could speak of diseases. Experts associate the syndrome with a deficiency of vitamins or microelements, with nerve overstrains or hormonal disruptions.
The phenomenon is characterized by pain in the legs during pregnancy at night. They appear suddenly, and the woman has a burning desire to move her limbs during sleep to relieve her condition. Indeed, if you move your foot, the pain will pass.
This strange syndrome often leads to insomnia, nervous breakdowns and even depression. After all, a pregnant woman needs good rest, but she does not receive it, constantly afraid of facing pain. After childbirth, this phenomenon passes without a trace.
Peculiarities of leg pain and associated symptoms
The nature of the pain, its localization, other features and associated symptoms can talk about those or other causes of discomfort. Although it is not worthwhile to engage in self-diagnosis and self-treatment, it will not hurt pregnant women to have a general idea on this issue. This will help make the right decision in a given situation.
So, you should know that varicose veins are often characterized by pulling pain in the legs during pregnancy. It is also accompanied by a feeling of heaviness in the lower limbs, their bulging and cramps. In addition, on the skin you can see purple nets of blood vessels. Exactly the same pain signals about the pathologies of the musculoskeletal nature and diseases of the nerve endings.
Flatfoot is manifested by breaking out pain in the arch of the foot and heels. They are usually worse at the end of the day. Also almost always activated after a long walk, especially in uncomfortable shoes.
If there are swelling associated with bladder stones or kidney failure, the pain in the legs is usually throbbing. When thrombophlebitis it is accompanied by an increase in body temperature, redness and compaction at the sites of injury. In infectious arthritis, in addition to pain, a decrease in the motor activity of the limb is recorded.
If convulsions occur, the calves of the feet during pregnancy are unbearably sore.. And it usually happens at night - during sleep. Approximately the same localization is observed in cases where the pain is caused by the increase in body weight of the future mother and the displacement of the center of gravity.
To identify the true cause of discomfort, you must carefully consider the signals of the body. And then tell about them in detail to your doctor. Of course, the symptoms alone will not be enough for diagnosis. But they will allow to determine the methods of surveys that should be passed.
Ways to treat and relieve pain
In case of pain in the legs, it is important for expectant mothers to remember that this is often a symptom of some kind of pathology, and not a normal physiological phenomenon. And the tactics of treatment depends on the type of illness. It is necessary to undergo a diagnosis, find out the cause, and then be determined with the nature of the therapy. If your leg muscles hurt during pregnancy, your bones or feet ache, cool foot baths will help to alleviate your condition, quality rest in the prone position with slightly raised limbs, sleep on your left side, etc.
As for the treatment methods, there are three main directions:
- Orthopedic. This is, first of all, the wearing of microfiber underwear, which provides a compression effect and normalizes the movement of blood through the veins. It is used for varicose veins and other vascular abnormalities. Also, orthopedic methods include special shoes and insoles, which are especially recommended for pregnant women suffering from flatfoot. При болях в области промежности хорошо помогает бандаж, разгружающий и расслабляющий позвоночник.
- Gymnastics. Физические упражнения способствуют укреплению мышц, нормализации веса и разгрузке ног. A special complex for pregnant women has been developed, including a cross-step, foot rotations, backward and forward bends, etc. Also, with pain in the legs, swimming in the pool is shown. For pregnant women in late periods, fitball is considered the best gymnastics.
- Drug therapy. Synthetic drugs for women in position with pain in the legs try not to prescribe. The list of permitted funds is very small. Detraleks is considered one of the most innocuous, it is prescribed for varicose veins to improve blood circulation and anesthesia. Ferlatum will help fill iron deficiency. If there is a lack of calcium, then a great option - Calcium DZ Nikomed. With avitaminosis, however, special complexes are fighting — Teravit-pregan, Elevit, etc. Furosemide is sometimes prescribed for edema. Some ointments and gels are allowed.
And the gymnastics, and medicines, and orthopedic methods should appoint a doctor after the diagnosis. In no case can self-medicate. Especially if we are talking about pregnancy, when at stake is not only your own health, but also the condition of the baby.
Choosing a specialist
For pain in the legs, you should first visit your obstetrician-gynecologist and tell him about the problem. The doctor will conduct a visual inspection, analyze the symptoms and results of laboratory tests of urine and blood. Perhaps this will be enough for the verdict, and the recommendations will be reduced to the traditional tips: enough rest, eat right, etc.
If the situation turns out to be more serious than we would like, we will have to go to the therapist and undergo additional diagnostics. After that, it will be clear to whom of the narrow specialists to contact. Depending on the cause of the pain, this can be a phlebologist, a traumatologist, an orthopedist, a surgeon, a nephrologist, a rheumatologist, or another doctor.
Situations in which medical care is urgently needed
If you ask the already-established moms if they had any pain in their legs during pregnancy, almost everyone will say yes. But in some it is a variant of the norm, while in others it is a formidable symptom.
Urgent visits by an obstetrician-gynecologist require a situation where:
- pain is hard to endure
- severe swelling,
- the skin on the lower extremities acquired a bluish tint or was totally covered with venous nets,
- there is weakness or numbness in the legs,
- pain does not pass more than two days,
- increased body temperature
- aching joints or changing their shape.
These conditions can signal serious pathologies when action is needed quickly. Often it is necessary to do it in the conditions of a hospital. Trying to relieve pain and other symptoms with improvised means is dangerous for both mother and child.
Anyone can get sick. A pregnant woman, and even more so - because her body carries a double burden. But still, if you pay attention to prevention, the risks can be minimized.
As for leg pain, the preventive measures here are:
- support for normal weight
- moderate physical activity
- balanced diet,
- sufficient drink
- good rest,
- comfortable place to sleep
- comfortable shoes,
- light massage of the feet and calf muscles.
All this will not only avoid problems with the limbs, but also improve the physical and mental state of the pregnant woman. An important preventive measure is also considered a timely medical examination. If you go to a doctor at the first alarming signals, you will be able to prevent serious complications.
So, leg pain in pregnant women is extremely common. It can be caused by physiological or pathological reasons. To find out the provoking factor, you need to carefully analyze the symptoms and pass the diagnosis. The results of the latter will depend on whether special treatment is necessary, and which one.
Author: Alexander Indra, doctor,
specifically for Mama66.ru
Why do pregnant feet hurt?
- Woman's weight is constantly increasing.
- The center of gravity shifts and the load on the legs increases.
- Throbbing pain and swelling of the legs are usually caused by excessive accumulation of fluid in the body of a woman.
- Growing up of toenails during pregnancy can also cause discomfort. Most often this is due to the tight shoes that future mothers wear.
- Seizures can occur due to increased blood volume and high levels of progesterone in the blood during pregnancy. It is also characteristic of the lack of calcium or iron in the body, with anemia, excessive consumption of coffee. As a rule, legs brings at night. Pregnant women especially suffer from this in later periods.
- Constant aching pain in the legs, especially after prolonged standing or walking, is usually associated with varicose veins.
Varicose veins very often become a companion of pregnancy. Even if you have never suffered from a similar problem before you become pregnant, you are automatically at risk. Since you and your child now have a general circulatory system, varicose disease can lead to malnutrition of the fetus with oxygen. After all, it is from your blood that a child receives all the important substances for life. Therefore, the sooner you take the necessary measures, the better it will be for both of you. It is not difficult to recognize varicose veins during pregnancy: the legs constantly ache and ache (especially after prolonged standing or walking), there is a burning sensation, tingling, itching, fatigue and heaviness in the legs, swelling and spider veins are observed, and night muscle cramps are disturbing.
During pregnancy, many women suffer from pain in their legs. Most often it is the physiological pain associated directly with pregnancy. In some cases, such painful sensations may indicate the onset of the disease. The exact cause can only be determined by the doctor, so you should immediately inform him of the symptoms that have appeared.
Causes of leg pain during pregnancy
All reasons can be divided into two groups.:
- Physiological (i.e., normal for the period of carrying the child),
- Pathological (caused by various diseases).
For physiological reasons include:
- The pressure of the baby's head on the pelvis. The appearance of pain is characteristic in the third trimester, when the fetus is already quite large in size,
- Weight change. With a significant weight gain during pregnancy, the main load goes to the spine and lower limbs, and therefore there are frequent pains in the lower back and leg muscles.
Pathological causes of leg pain:
- The reduced content of trace elements: calcium and magnesium.,
- Dropsy pregnant
- Ingrown nails
- Flat feet,
- Infectious arthritis (inflammatory disease of the joints),
- Thrombophlebitis of superficial and deep veins (inflammation of the veins of the lower extremities).
Why hurts legs in the early stages
Pain, pain in the legs during pregnancy sometimes occur literally from the first days, continuing until the birth. In the early stages, the legs hurt because of the hormonal restructuring of the body: preparations are underway for the delivery of the fetus and childbirth. After conception, a woman's body begins to produce a large amount of the female sex hormone progesterone.
Under the action of progesterone, the following changes occur:
- fluid is retained, resulting in puffiness,
- the growth of leg muscles is suppressed and the process of destruction of muscle cells increases, which leads to thinning and weakening of the muscular-ligamentous apparatus; therefore, leg muscles in pregnancy ache and overstrain, painful sensations can appear in the groin and back,
- the absorption of glucose by the tissues is disturbed, its blood level rises, which contributes to the deposition of fat and an increase in body weight.
Increased edema, the increase in mass in combination with the weakening of the muscular-ligamentous apparatus during pregnancy leads to an increase in the load on the spine, bones and joints of the legs, which is the main cause of unpleasant sensations in the limbs, pain in the groin and back. The intensity of pain in both legs (right and left) is about the same. Many women ask why muscles hurt so much? The answer is obvious - because of the increased load.
In addition, in the early period of pregnancy, aches, severity and soreness occur due to venous insufficiency (varicose veins). Progesterone increases blood coagulation.
This is the physiological reaction of preparation for childbirth, during which abundant blood loss is possible. Increasing the content of progesterone in the blood of pregnant women contributes to the increased formation of blood clots in the small veins. Therefore, during pregnancy, some women appear sprigs of blue veins on the legs, calves begin to ache. These symptoms are especially pronounced during sleep.
If pregnant women have a hereditary predisposition to varicose veins, the symptoms become apparent during the childbearing. One of the symptoms of varicose veins is convulsions, while the leg hurts most often in the area of the calf from one side.
Another feature of progesterone is the ability to cause depression. Many women at an early stage develop a bad mood, which makes them even more sensitive to discomfort and painful sensations.
Depression is a medicine-recognized sign of pregnancy, it goes to the second trimester (the body adapts to an increased amount of progesterone). After that, the mood and general condition of the woman improves, it literally flourishes.
Why pain appears in the late stages
In the later periods (especially after 37 weeks), the legs start to hurt for the following reasons:
- Due to high blood levels of progesteronea, which continues to relax the musculo-ligamentous apparatus, which increases the load on the bones and joints of the legs. In the third trimester, the hormone relaxin begins to act in a similar way - stretching the ligaments and even partial disjunction of the bones in the pelvic area leads to pain in the perineum, in the groin area, extending to the legs.
- Body mass increase (due to fat mass and edema) and the increase in the volume of the uterus - this further increases the load on the skeleton, the woman has more and more back pain, pain in the groin.
- Squeezing the growing womb of the roots of the spinal nerves and large nerve trunks, which leads to their infringement. The dancer whines, the pain is given to the back of the thigh, shin, foot, and only the left or right limb can whine strongly.
- The increasing load on the foot leads to the development of flatfoot and the appearance of painful symptoms in the foot when walking. The development of flat-footedness also contributes to the wearing of close uncomfortable shoes and high-heeled shoes, and natoptysh appear on their feet in the area of the soles.
- Squeezing the uterus veins disrupts blood flow in the lower limbs - develops varicose veins with soreness, weakness in the legs, occasionally occurring cramps in the calves. Muscle cramps and itching are also associated with varicose veins, and it is the calves that hurt. The answer to the question of why the muscles with varicose veins hurt is obvious: they suffer from a lack of nutrients and oxygen.
- Convulsions of the gastrocnemius muscles in pregnant women are aggravated by the lack of vital minerals and vitamins. (calcium, potassium, magnesium, vitamins of group B), which go to the construction of fetal tissues. In this case, the legs hurt mostly at night, during sleep.
All of these processes can be intensified with iron deficiency anemia. In this disease, the amount of hemoglobin, a substance containing iron and delivering oxygen to tissues, sharply decreases in the erythrocytes.
Why does anemia often develop during gestation? The answer is simple: iron goes to the construction of fetal tissues. Why does anemia cause painful symptoms? Oxygen starvation of tissues leads to metabolic disorders and increased destruction of protein: the muscles, ligaments of the arms and legs weaken even more.
Pain in the extremities can be exacerbated by exacerbation of diseases that a woman had before conception: osteochondrosis, osteoarthrosis, varicose veins, flatfoot, etc. On
38 weeks of pregnancy, the stomach sinks, the fetus begins to push harder on the lower abdomen, squeezing the nerves, blood vessels, loading the lower back. Symptoms are especially pronounced at week 39, when the body of most women prepares for childbirth.
How to get rid of pain in the first weeks
In the first weeks after conception, the pain in the limbs is associated with tissue swelling. What to do, how to remove discomfort? If symptoms are expressed, it is necessary to eliminate the swelling. This can be done through proper nutrition.
Here are the basic rules:
- not eating salty foods, it’s not necessary to limit the amount of liquid to a healthy woman, this will reduce the pulling pain in the legs,
- limit sweets, baking, do not eat sugary carbonated drinks,
- limit fatty, fried, canned foods - they all contribute to weight gain, fluid retention,
- consume more dairy products (source of calcium), bananas, raisins, dried apricots (sources of potassium), wheat germ, dill, sea fish (source of magnesium),
- eat more vegetables, fruits, they all contain different vitamins of group B - an energy source that promotes metabolism (especially necessary vitamin B6 (pyridoxine), its deficiency can contribute to the occurrence of seizures in pregnant women, pyridoxine is contained in bananas, beans, cabbage, brewer's yeast , citrus),
- ascorbic acid and rutin (citrus fruits, cabbage, currants, strawberries), to strengthen the walls of blood vessels, prevent varicose veins,
- useful meat rabbit, poultry, sea fish (including fat).
Regardless of the cause of the painful symptoms, the manifestations can be reduced by proper distribution of the load.
To do this, you need to properly combine rest with motor activity, observing the following rules:
- If the joints ache during pregnancy, one cannot stand or sit in the same posture for a long time, walk for a long time. Walking is needed, but they should not be too intense and long, you need to periodically rest when walking.
- Comfortable shoes - prevention of flat feet, when the feet cause problems, use orthopedic insoles for shoes,
- If your arm joints ache, you need to limit the load on your hands and do massage with massage oil for the night, to which a few drops of pine or fir essential oil are added.
- When pain in the legs will help swimming: the load is removed from the extremities, but this increases muscle tone, also passes pain in the back and groin.
- For the prevention of venous insufficiency (especially if this disease is common in a woman’s family members), after consulting a doctor, you should wear compression underwear.
What to do when late legs hurt
In later periods, the legs hurt due to the increased load on the joints and blood stagnation in the veins. To reduce the painful manifestations, you need to follow all the same rules as in the first weeks.
Additionally you need:
- wear a bandage - this will reduce the load on the pelvic bones and hip joints, pain in the joints will decrease,
- to buy orthopedic insoles for shoes, if walking hurts the feet, for the prevention of flatfoot,
- on the recommendation of the doctor every day to do a special gymnastics (can be in the pool),
- periodically take a horizontal position with the raised lower limbs, especially at 39 - 40 weeks of pregnancy,
- prescribed by a doctor to reduce pain in the joints and spine to take: vitamin-mineral complexes for expectant mothers (mother Complivit, Elevit Pronatal, etc., drugs with magnesium and pyridoxine (Magne B6 forte), drugs with calcium and vitamin D (Calcium-D3 Nicomed, Calcium Sandoz Forte),
- for the treatment of varicose veins: drugs approved for use during childbirth (Detralex), an ointment for pain in the legs with varicose veins, for example, Troxevasin.
Important: any drugs can be taken only on doctor's prescription!
Comment from a specialist in this video:
Is it possible to relieve the pain of folk remedies
In folk medicine for this there are many tools. Reception of folk remedies must be agreed with the doctor!
Here are some effective folk remedies:
- In the morning, half an hour before breakfast, drink half a glass of apple-carrot juice (1: 1), adding a teaspoon of celery juice to it - perfectly removes edema. In early pregnancy, the legs stop nagging after 3 to 4 days.
- Wash eggshell, dry, crush in a mortar and take a quarter of a teaspoon of powder three times a day, dripping a few drops of lemon juice into it, a source of calcium - strengthens bones, muscles, and leg joints.
- A tablespoon of gelatin should be poured over the night with cooled boiled water, stirred in the morning and drunk half an hour before a meal - helps to restore the cartilage tissue of the joints and the spine.
- Salt applications, take a tablespoon of salt (even better sea) salt, dissolve in a glass of water, moisten a napkin, attach to the sore spot and hold until dry - well removes puffiness, soreness in the joints, back and groin.
- Essential oil of cloves rubbed daily in sore joints with the help of massage movements, well helps in the later stages,
- Сделать ножную ванночку с пихтовым маслом, вода должна быть комнатной температуры или слегка теплой. На 38 неделе беременности и позже ножные ванночки лучше не делать.
- Horse chestnut tincture of flowers - 1 part of the juice of flowers is diluted with 2 parts of alcohol or vodka and used as a rubbing for legs with varicose veins, if they hurt at night.
Important: hot foot baths are categorically contraindicated during pregnancy, especially in the last weeks, besides, with varicose veins, they can provoke the development of seizures,
When to urgently seek medical care
Pain in the limbs may increase during preeclampsia - toxicosis, fraught with serious complications. The disease is accompanied by edema, increased blood pressure, kidney and brain damage. In the early stages of preeclampsia, swelling and intoxication cause severe pain in the legs.
Urgent contact with a doctor should be if the pain is combined:
- with severe headaches
- with nausea, vomiting,
- with significant edema
- high blood pressure
- with impaired consciousness.
Hip pains during pregnancy can sharply intensify also with symphysitis - inflammation of the symphysis pubis, which develops when it is excessively stretched (over 0.5 cm). Symphysis is dangerous with a rupture of the pubic symphysis at week 37-39.
You should consult your doctor if the following symptoms appear:
- severe aching pain in the pubic area, which gives to the leg - the symptoms are aggravated when the limb is retracted outwards, the pain disappears at rest,
- pain when feeling the pubis, with pain in the thigh also increases, sometimes extending below the knees,
- very severe pain when walking, resulting in the development of a characteristic "duck" gait - this is the main symptom of symphysitis,
- In some cases, incontinence of feces and urine.
How to prevent pain in the legs
During pregnancy planning, a woman should undergo a full examination, identify and treat all existing diseases, fill the deficit of essential minerals, vitamins.
Of great importance is the physical hardening of the body, playing feasible sports, proper nutrition, a healthy lifestyle. Of particular importance when carrying a child has a full sleep at night. It is imperative to get rid of bad habits - drinking and smoking - and both contribute to a stable spasm of blood vessels, poor nutrition of tissues and metabolic disorders, which can not but affect the state of the osteo-articular system.
Immediately after conception you need:
- get registered in the antenatal clinic as early as possible, monitor regularly, follow all the recommendations of specialists,
- to undergo a scheduled examination - an ultrasound can determine the weight of the child: if he is significantly above the norm, the doctor will give recommendations on nutrition and regimen (this is especially important in diabetes: the risk of having a large child increases and the musculoskeletal and venous systems will suffer)
- monitor your weight: too fast weight gain indicates a metabolic disorder or the presence of hidden edema, which will later cause discomfort,
- take medication prescribed by a specialist (vitamins, minerals, etc.),
- to eat properly.
Pain in the extremities is a frequent phenomenon, but in most cases it is not dangerous. They can be eliminated or reduced to a minimum with the help of proper nutrition, a healthy lifestyle and the implementation of all the recommendations of the antenatal care doctor.
It is very important for a woman to be attentive to her health, because the baby’s health depends on it. If any new incomprehensible symptoms appear, it is better to immediately consult a doctor. After the termination of pregnancy all unpleasant feelings pass independently.
Common causes of discomfort and pain in the legs
The causes depend on the types of pain, weight of the fetus and amniotic fluid, gestational age. Discomfort occurs:
- In the early stages of pregnancy, due to changes in the weather, there is a feeling of "twisting" the legs.
- In the feet, due to wearing tight shoes, heels. The nails grow into the skin of the toe, causing discomfort. Causes of pain include standing in place, prolonged walking.
- With severe swelling, due to excessive fluid intake. The occurrence of edema and pain in the early stages, in the first trimester of pregnancy, is an indicator of renal failure or urolithiasis. Puffiness is accompanied by throbbing pain. The second trimester is characterized by an increase in fluid: the kidneys do not cope with processing volumes of waste products of the mother and fetus, edema appears.
- With flat feet. Not always signs of the disease occur before pregnancy.
- Due to the increasing body weight of a woman. If at the beginning of pregnancy the spine can withstand the load, in the later periods it cannot cope with the weight of the fetus, the legs take up part of the weight.
- Due to cramps that occur at night, during sleep. The reason - a lack of iron or calcium in the body, anemia. Seizures occur as a result of an increase in the hormone progesterone, an increase in blood volume in the legs.
If leg problems are not the result of increasing progesterone or reducing the amount of calcium in the body, then such pains require the attention of a physician.
Why there is pulling pain, leg cramps?
Stretching and aching pain in the lower limbs of pregnant women, in the absence of pathologies of the hormonal system and disorders of the mineral balance of the body - a sign of diseases of the musculoskeletal, vascular systems, diseases of nerve endings.
Symptoms are typical for:
- Varicose veins or varicose veins - inflammation of the veins. The cause of swelling of the legs and cramps during sleep. The disease is determined by venous "stars" on the legs, sore veins. Manifested in early pregnancy. The blood flow is carried along the inferior vena cava located on the right leg, the right leg is more likely to become inflamed.
- Fibromyalgia, a disease arising out of stress. Studies have shown that point pain occurs as a result of impaired thermoregulation and redistribution of blood in the vessels of the microvasculature on the legs - on the inner side of the knees. Fibromyalgia - the cause of cramps and leg cramps during sleep, fatigue, stiffness in the morning.
Characteristic pains in the legs of pregnant women appear with arthrosis, rheumatism, osteoporosis, and fasciitis. Exacerbations occur in the morning when muscle relaxation occurs. Related symptoms - swelling. Pain in the foot indicates gout (a type of arthritis) or impaired blood circulation.
In osteochondrosis of the lower lumbar vertebrae, pain is transmitted to the legs. Heel pain occurs as a result of plantar fasciitis - inflammation of the calcaneus. When the dysfunction of the nervous system may have pain below the knees (with neuralgia). Pain in the left leg is found in inflammation of the sciatic nerve.
Why does restless legs syndrome occur?
Restless legs syndrome is a pathology that occurs in pregnant women during sleep. Associated with the desire to relieve pain, moving his legs. If you move your feet - the pain passes. It often occurs in pregnant women in semesters II and III. After childbirth pathology leaves.
There are no reasons for the occurrence of the disorder - it is a sign of nervous breakdown, sleep disturbances and depression. The syndrome arises unexpectedly, spontaneously disappears. The index of inflammation of the veins, iron deficiency. The cause of the pathology is thyroid disease, anemia, and diabetes.
The peculiarity of restless legs syndrome is the absence of signs of disease. It is treated comprehensively, with drugs and not medication. Normalize the amount of glucose, iron, calcium in the blood, compensate for the lack of magnesium and minerals with vitamins. Limit the consumption of coffee, energy, create a comfortable sleep and rest. Allocate time for a walk before bedtime. It is useful to take a warm or a contrast shower, swim.
How to avoid leg pain during pregnancy?
If external signs of pain do not determine the cause, contact your doctor. Avoid abnormalities by following the rules:
- Watch for weight, do not overeat, drink a lot. Do not drink carbonated water. Include foods rich in calcium and iron (cottage cheese, cheese, greens, lean meat, apples) in your diet.
- In order not to hurt the veins, more often be in the fresh air, do not overload your legs with walking, swim more. Avoid prolonged exposure to the sun, it damages the vessels, provokes the occurrence of varicose veins.
- In order not to twist your legs at night, there was no strong edema, it is helpful to lie or sit with your legs above your head. Wear special corrective tights, make sure that your socks do not have a tight elastic band.
- Do gymnastics for pregnant women. The complex of exercises is aimed at the prevention of factors that adversely affect the body, facilitates childbirth.
- Change shoes with stiletto heels for loose, comfortable shoes with low heels, preferably orthopedic. It is not recommended to wear shoes without a heel - develops flat feet.
- Massage your calves and feet. Walk barefoot on the sea sand, morning dew.
Can cure pregnant foot pain with folk remedies?
If there are no serious diseases and pains caused by alterations in the body, the use of folk remedies will help ease the pain:
- When edema is consumed on an empty stomach, 30 minutes before a meal, freshly squeezed juices are carrot (0.5 cups once a day), birch (1 tablespoon before meals), from celery root (1 teaspoon three times a day).
- Clove oil to cope with pain in the joints, rub it during massage.
- Cayenne pepper is used for arthritis, muscle pain. Rubbed, massaging the sick areas. Sold in the pharmacy.
- Do warm mustard seed baths to improve blood circulation. The crushed seeds are poured with warm water (a handful of seeds per half a bucket of water), and the legs are lowered for 15 minutes.
Using folk remedies, take into account the condition of the body: folk remedies are used carefully.
If the use of folk remedies is not effective, consult a doctor. A full diet, the implementation of comprehensive measures for the prevention of foot diseases, treatment - will help a woman to easily carry the fetus, give birth to a healthy baby.
Leg pain during pregnancy
With complaints of pain in the legs, you can get the opposite recommendation. Some advise more rest, others - to lead an active lifestyle. It all depends on the reasons causing unpleasant sensations in the lower limbs of a woman carrying a baby. Pregnant women often complain of pain in the legs.
Causes and symptoms of pain in the legs when carrying a child
Painful sensations in the legs of future mothers cause:
- Phlebeurysm. Special valves in a healthy circulatory system allow venous blood to flow only upwards, to prevent stagnation in the legs. During pregnancy, due to an increase in the uterus, the pressure on the lower extremities increases, and the normal operation of the valves is impaired. The chaotic movement of blood begins, the veins expand, and the woman develops varicose veins. The symptom is heaviness in the legs in the evenings, and if the disease is started, then the swollen veins will become visible with the naked eye.
- Flatfoot. Even if a woman did not have flat feet before pregnancy, the increased load on the internal organs sometimes affects the feet. Connective tissues, which include ligaments, soften and no longer support the bones in the correct position. At first, the pregnant woman feels very tired after some short walks. As the degree of flat-footedness changes towards increasing, the aching pain becomes more intense.
- Cramps. With a lack of minerals involved in the transmission of nerve impulses between parts of the body, the muscles begin an involuntary contraction (convulsions). This causes severe pain in the legs, and it is felt after physical exertion and in a state of complete rest.
- Lactic acid in the muscles. Athletes consider pain in the muscles an indicator of the effectiveness of training, but pregnant women are unlikely to focus on sports success. If a woman feels a burning sensation in her legs, it means that she is still overstrained. Lactic acid, released during excessive physical effort, provokes pain that is difficult to confuse with others. The body gets it from glucose during movements. Unpleasant feelings soon pass, as a rule, during the day. If the pain after an overstrain does not subside after two days, this may be the breaks in the muscle fibers, but this is extremely rare in pregnant women.
- Irradiation. This is the case when the pain is felt far from its source. Not always pain in the legs is associated with problems in the lower limbs. The softened ligaments, gained in the process of carrying a baby, the body weight and the displacement of the center of gravity additionally load the spine, and the discomfort gives to the legs. Squeezing or inflammation of the sciatic nerve connecting the spine to the lower limbs, acute pain penetrates the leg from the hip to the fingertips on the inner or outer side (depending on the location of the compression).
- Leg edema during pregnancy. The accumulation of excess fluid in soft tissues is not uncommon in the second and third trimesters of pregnancy. Bursting pain, heaviness in the legs and the appearance of dimples when pressed with the thumb of the ankle indicate edema. Even swelling can be determined by the pronounced traces of gum from the socks on the legs at the end of the day. In the morning, most often it is unnoticed. Even with minor edema, a woman may feel constant fatigue, heaviness in the legs and mild pains of the arching nature.
- Restless legs syndrome. In one third of pregnant women, involuntary movements of the lower limbs are observed in the last two trimesters. Future mothers feel itchy, tingling of the legs at night, sometimes it creates the illusion of goosebumps. The sensations themselves are not very painful, but they cause discomfort. And physical activity successfully fights this, therefore each person individually selects movements to get rid of the problem. One is enough to bend 10 times - to straighten the legs, others can walk around the room for hours waiting for the pain to subside.
In addition, individual causes of pain in the legs during pregnancy are possible, so it’s best to consult a doctor, especially for the following symptoms:
- severe pain does not pass within three days,
- ulcers or other neoplasms appeared on the leg in which the pain was felt,
- the temperature of the sore foot is different from a healthy limb, up or down,
- the skin of the legs became bluish or turned pale,
- swelling of lower extremities appeared, accompanied by pain,
- joints or bones were deformed after injuries,
- the general state of health of the pregnant woman deteriorated, the woman feels weak, and her body temperature rises.
Treatment tips should only be obtained from a doctor and be exactly the same as what they have experienced. Before the decree, I spent most of the time in a standing position, and by the evening I just buzzed my legs. A friend told me how she dealt with this problem herself, and after work I plunged my legs into a basin of cold water. Either because the water was too cold, or because of the nature of my body, there was a spasm of blood vessels. Recommendations to put my feet in cold water again, I, naturally, brushed off and began to rub reddened limbs. Fortunately, it helped, and pretty quickly. Since then, I remember that cold and coolness are still different concepts, and there are no universal tips that are suitable for everyone.
Important! The appearance of pain in the big toes is an alarming signal. This may indicate the development of arthrosis or arthritis, especially in the last stages of pregnancy. In the future, it can lead to complications in the heart and urogenital system. If there is pain in the big toes, an urgent need to contact the therapist.
Treatment of pain caused by varicose veins
Varicose leg veins during pregnancy are dangerous because of their spread to the pelvic organs, as a result of which hemorrhoids develop, cracks of the vagina and rectum appear, accompanied by bleeding. All this adversely affects the development of the fetus and postpartum recovery of the woman. It is important to start treatment as soon as possible by contacting a phlebologist - a doctor who deals with problems of the circulatory system. He will prescribe an ultrasound examination of the veins in his legs to get complete information about the course of the disease. Usually, varicose veins during pregnancy are accompanied by swelling and a feeling of heaviness in the legs.
Moderate activity with varicose veins will be the best option for getting rid of the disease than complete rest or, conversely, too active physical exertion. If you lie down or sit all the time, the blood in the diseased veins stagnates and blood clots form, and too intense movements create additional pressure on the legs. It is better to lead a measured lifestyle, occasionally lying down and raising the legs above the level of the rest of the body.
Thin underwear during pregnancy is undesirable; it is better to purchase compression tights in specialized stores and wear them if you have to sit for a long time or are standing on your feet. Такая одежда создаёт необходимое давление на ноги, не давая венам переполняться кровью и расширяться. В зависимости от тяжести заболевания увеличивается степень компрессии.
Гели и кремы для лечения варикозного расширения вен назначает только врач. Although the instructions to Lioton, Troxevasin, Venorm and other drugs say that the active substances do not penetrate the placental barrier to the child, the decision on the use can not be taken independently.
Starting treatment with pills is also not worth it if they are not prescribed by a doctor. They are prescribed in the second and third trimesters, during the first three months of pregnancy, such treatment of varicose veins has contraindications.
In advanced cases of varicose veins, when a thromboembolism is determined (vein closure by a detached blood clot), a surgical operation is indicated. Applied in this case, the technology requires an artificial abortion. Therefore, it is important not to bring yourself to this state.
Traditional methods of treatment of varicose veins
With varicose veins use such folk remedies:
- A decoction of hop cones. This outdoor remedy helps to establish blood circulation. Pour a tablespoon of hop cones with a glass of boiling water and hold for 20-25 minutes in a water bath. Then pass through the filter and squeeze. Cut a natural cloth soak in broth and put on the affected place, like a compress, for 15–20 minutes. To do the procedure twice a day, feet should be on a small elevation.
- Extract from horse chestnut. It is used in the preparation of most drugs for the treatment of varicose veins. Well tones the skin, reduces inflammation and swelling. The decoction for the compress is prepared in the same way as from hop cones, but it can be left on the feet all night.
- Chamomile tincture. The tool relieves swelling, inflammation and cools the skin. To prepare the infusion, you need to fill the glass jar with flowers of chamomile almost to the brim and pour vegetable oil (any) so that all the raw materials are covered with it. Shake the container from time to time during the month. After 30 days, filter, carefully squeeze and rub into the skin on the affected site 2 times a day.
Important! For compresses, especially applied for a long time, you can not use food film or cellophane, as this can cause diaper rash.
Exercise for varicose veins
Feasible physical exertion with varicose veins is even beneficial. For example, Mikulin's exercises:
- in a vertical position, climb onto the toes, tearing off the heels by 1–2 cm from the floor, and descend sharply. Run 30 times, rest, repeat 3 times,
- standing, raising heels alternately from the floor at an angle of not more than 45 °, as if imitating walking in place, the toes off the floor do not come off. Perform an exercise in compression garment. Begin with 10 minutes, gradually extending the exercise time to half an hour.
How to get rid of discomfort with flat feet
There are no drugs for flat-footedness, special shoes with instep supports that help keep the foot in the correct position and do not allow it to become flat come to the rescue. Shoes with high heels during pregnancy, it is better to completely remove away, on a flat sole is also undesirable to wear. The best option is a low heel on most of the heel. During pregnancy, flat feet aggravated
You should not lie for a long time, it is better to walk in suitable shoes, but not to overstrain your legs. This will help to deal with the problem of flatfoot and relieve pain. If it is already difficult on your own, it is better to ask your loved ones to knead your feet.
Relief from cramping pain
If convulsions are found pregnant during physical activity, you must take a horizontal position until the attack has passed, or at least sit down, remaining in a state of rest. The performed laboratory blood test, prescribed by the therapist, will show which particular substances the woman’s body lacks. The doctor will advise how to fill the gap.
Be sure to take vitamins for pregnant women, containing all the necessary complex substances. Eat more dairy products, in which a sufficient amount of calcium, as well as celery. Additional reception of the tableted microelements is possible only by a doctor's prescription, if the tests show that they are insufficient in the female body.
How to eliminate muscle pain in pregnant women
Pain, caused by the release of lactic acid in the muscles, oddly enough, the easiest to remove physical activity. Excess substance should be eliminated with the help of physical exercises for intense muscle groups. The main condition for exercise for pregnant women - smooth movements, there should not be sharp jerks.
Important! In the third trimester, it is desirable to perform exercises on fitball (large ball for fitness). If you gently roll back and forth, lying back on the ball and spread his legs shoulder-width apart, you can strengthen the muscles of the legs. Occupations should be stopped immediately, feeling the symptoms of uterine tone, such as pain in the uterus and increased heart rate.
Using fitball for pregnant women can strengthen muscles well.
Improvement in spinal pains extending to the legs
Pain in the spine - this is probably the only kind of unpleasant sensations, implying a long stay in the prone position. But starting from the second trimester, it is not recommended for pregnant women to lie on their backs, as this causes overpressing of large vessels and, as a result, a decrease in blood pressure and dizziness. The surface of a lying place should be moderately firm, and the pose of a woman should be as comfortable as possible. Wearing a bandage and regular swimming helps to reduce the load on the spine.
Effectively exercise "Cat". This is a fairly common element used in many medical-gymnastic complexes, allows you to eliminate excessive tension of the spine. To do this, you need to kneel, with your palms resting on the floor, and keep your back straight. Head down, rounding the spine and back, like an angry cat. Hold this position for 10 seconds, then take the initial position. Exercise "Cat" perfectly copes with back problems, improves blood circulation, removes stiffness
Pain in swelling of the legs: danger of the condition and methods of treatment
Even if the mother feels great, you should definitely visit the doctor, finding signs of swelling. Excess fluid in soft tissues makes it difficult to deliver nutrients and oxygen to the baby. The doctor will prescribe diuretic drugs and drugs that normalize blood circulation. In addition, limiting fluid intake is recommended, but one should not go to extremes, since dehydration is no less dangerous for mother and child than edema. On the swollen leg, there are clearly visible places where the shoes are strained with shoes or with an elastic band of socks.
Many mummies are interested in whether foot pain can be a symptom of a premature termination of pregnancy. Sometimes preeclampsia, one of the signs of which is the systematic swelling of the soft tissues of the legs, causes a breakdown of pregnancy at a late period. In this disease, both the woman and her child suffer from insufficient blood supply to vital organs, and the body rejects the fetus. So in no case can I ignore the pain in the legs due to swelling.
Preventing leg pain in pregnant women
In order to reduce the risk of pain in the legs due to the natural and pathological processes in the body of a pregnant woman, you need to take preventive measures.
Recommended for all pregnant women:
- frequent walks in the fresh air, but long hikes are undesirable, as well as long standing on his feet,
- balanced diet,
- wearing compression tights and comfortable shoes,
- weight gain control
- restriction of fluid intake with a tendency to edema,
- cool foot bath of herbal infusions,
- reduction of physical activity during gestation, especially in the first and third trimesters,
- timely visits to the doctor if you detect problems in the body.
The causes of discomfort in the legs of pregnant women are many, as well as ways to get rid of unpleasant sensations. You need to carefully listen to your body, and waiting for the child will deliver more joy than pain. Each disease is easier to defeat when it only develops, which helps early seeking medical help, examination and implementation of the recommendations of the attending physician.
Symptoms and treatment of pathological conditions causing pain in the legs
With a lack of trace elements (calcium and magnesium) a woman complains of aching pain in the calf muscles, aggravated after prolonged standing or fast walking, frequent cramps (especially at night), bleeding gums. Treatment appoint on an outpatient basis:
- Reception complex multivitamins and mineralsdesigned specifically for the period of pregnancy (Elevit, Teravit-Pregna),
- Calcium intake (Calcemin),
- Normalization of power. It should be included in the daily diet foods with a high content of magnesium (buckwheat and millet cereals, legumes, nuts, spinach) and calcium (dairy products, legumes, almonds, poppy seeds, sesame).
Treatment primarily aimed at eliminating or reducing excess fluid in the body:
- Limiting fluid intake to 1.5 liters per day,
- Normalization of power. A milk-vegetable diet, the exclusion of salty, spicy and smoked food is recommended,
- Vitamin therapy,
- Diuretic drugs (Furosemide).
With varicose veins The following complaints concern a woman:
- The appearance of a pronounced vascular network, varicose nodes,
- Heaviness, tension in the legs,
- Frequent cramps in the calf muscles,
- Swelling of the legs.
If a pregnant woman has signs of varicose veins, consultation of a vascular surgeon is required. As a rule, during pregnancy do not carry out medical treatment. A woman is recommended to wear compression stockings or elastic bandages at all times.
Nail ingrowth on the toe quite often occurs during pregnancy. This is primarily due to the wearing of uncomfortable narrow shoes, swelling of the legs, as well as improper cutting of nails. With this pathology, the edge of the nail almost digs into the nail roller, causing severe pain and redness of the finger. You can try to cope with this problem at home with the following procedures:
- Footbaths. For this procedure, you can use salt, baking soda or infusions of herbs (calendula, chamomile). Baths can be done several times a day for 15-20 minutes. After softening the skin, you should get and trim the edge of the nail,
- Compresses. You can put Vishnevsky ointment or Ihtiol ointment on the wound of the nail roll, and the juice of the aloe leaf heals well.
Information In the absence of the effect of treatment, it is imperative to contact a surgeon for surgery.
Appearance of flatfoot during pregnancy is characteristic from the second trimester and is associated with an increased load on the legs. There are severe breaking out pains in the heels and arch of the foot, aggravated after a long walk in uncomfortable shoes. In this pathology, a woman needs to consult an orthopedic surgeon, who will give the necessary recommendations for reducing pain:
- Shoes should be used only on a flat sole, the heel should not be higher than 4 cm,
- Wearing special orthopedic insoles,
- Foot bath with cool water. Broths of medicinal herbs can be added to the water. This procedure helps to relieve tension, fatigue, swelling of the legs.
With the development infectious arthritis the woman complains of severe pain in the joints, difficulty moving. The area of the affected joint is swollen, hyperemic, painful to the touch. When signs of arthritis appear, hospitalization is indicated in a hospital where a woman will be treated effectively and safely for the fetus.
Thrombophlebitis of superficial and deep veins most often occurs in women with varicose veins. The main symptoms of superficial thrombophlebitis are:
- Temperature rise,
- Sealing and redness in the area of the affected vein,
- Severe pain in the leg.
Deep Thrombophlebitis practically not accompanied by pain, characterized by only slight swelling and bluish color of the legs. However, this type of thrombophlebitis is an extremely dangerous condition and, if left untreated, can be fatal.
Thrombophlebitis of the superficial and deep veins requires that a woman be admitted to the surgical department. Purpose treatment is the restoration of normal venous blood flow:
- Cold on the lower limbs within 2-3 days
- Foot bandaging elastic bandage
- Topical treatment with ointments (heparin ointment),
- Preparations for improving blood microcirculation (Troxerutin),
- Blood thinners (heparin intravenously).
Key recommendations for the prevention of physiological and pathological leg pain:
- Balanced diet,
- Fluid restriction in case of edema,
- Weight control
- Use only comfortable shoes without heels,
- Frequent unhurried walks in the fresh air
- Limitation of heavy physical exertion
- Wearing compression stockings and orthopedic insoles,
- Frequent cool foot baths with decoctions of herbs,
- Physical activity (swimming in the pool, a complex of gymnastic exercises for pregnant women).