The first year of a child’s life is characterized by a period of active development and growth (we recommend reading: the healthy and harmonious development of a child from the first days of life). For the full formation of the child requires a variety of nutrients, including vitamins. From where the crumb can get them? Should I use additional sources of vitamin substances, such as special complexes sold in pharmacies?
Vitamins for newborns
Some mothers are convinced that for active growth and good health their children need to be given vitamins for newborns. In this case, it is important to remind all mothers: although minerals and vitamins are an integral part of the successful development of the body of babies, you should not go too far. Do not rush to supply the baby with synthetic additives. Children of the first month of life, however, like all children, should receive only natural nutrients and products, and not “chemistry”.
Often, pediatricians prescribe a prophylactic intake of vitamin D, starting from one month of age and even from birth. Moreover, very often you can hear such advice: start as early as possible. It should be remembered that the appointment of any vitamin for children, and in particular vitamin D, must be due to a number of good reasons.
The uniqueness of vitamin D is that it is independently formed in the skin under the influence of sunlight. It is no secret that walking on a sunny day is the best cure for rickets. To do this, it is absolutely not necessary to expose the baby in direct sunlight. A nursing mother during walks "produces" this element itself, and then passes it to the baby through breast milk. The crumb lying in the stroller also eats sunlight and produces its own vitamin “charge”, so the prevention of rickets is already in the square.
For walking, choose the daylight hours while the sun is still in the sky. Open areas under the scorching sun - not the best option, but the light shade of the trees would be very useful. 20 minutes of such a leisurely walk, substituting pens and a face under the rays, will allow you to work out a sufficient amount of useful element.
Not enough vitamin D
Let us describe the situations when vitamin D will not be synthesized:
- when the mother is completely covered (warm jacket, hat with a visor, gloves), and the child is completely covered with a hood,
- when a child "walks" on a glassed-in balcony
- when walking in the dark,
- when the sun hid behind thick clouds - in this case, vitamin D will be produced in insufficient quantities, in this regard, doctors recommend in the autumn-winter period to fill this deficiency in children with preventive intake of vitamin D (usually prescribed oil or water-based drops).
The unanimous opinion of the doctors is that the most optimal and at the same time the safest option for obtaining a valuable item is from mother's milk. It is important for a nursing woman to monitor the quality and variety of their nutrition. It may be worth drinking the vitamin and mineral complexes recommended during lactation.
The baby gets the right amount of vitamin D from mother's milk
The absence of any deviations in the development and health of the baby does not require the appointment of additional vitamins. Having diagnosed anemia in a child, the pediatrician will prescribe iron-based supplements, and if the crumb doesn’t add weight, the doctor will prescribe vitamins E, A and ascorbic acid. Give up the idea of self-healing children. All therapeutic procedures begin only after consultation with a specialist. Excessive saturation of the child's body with vitamin-mineral substances can provoke allergies.
Vitamins in breast milk
To an inexperienced eye, it may seem that the amount of vitamins and minerals that is found in breast milk is insufficient compared with the figures presented in infant formula. In fact, the composition of mother's milk fully satisfies all the existing needs of the child's body. Due to the unique combination of all the elements of special proteins, breast milk is almost completely absorbed by the child, while the adapted mixture, and hence some of its nutrients, are absorbed in a smaller percentage ratio.
As an example, we give the absorption of iron. From mother's milk, the baby absorbs almost 70% of this substance, while the adapted mixture supplies the body only 10%.
Hence the conclusion that babies eating their mother's breasts have at their disposal a much larger volume of vitamins and minerals. At the same time, we note that the mother during lactation, on the contrary, has a lot of problems, ranging from hair and teeth, to fatigue and lethargy. That is why it is extremely important to carefully monitor the diet of a nursing woman. It should be diverse and balanced.
What are the vitamins gives mom?
Consider the vitamin composition of breast milk:
- Vitamin A. For premature babies, this element is especially important. The crumb in this case, in addition to insufficient weight, has a number of problems with the intestines. A lactating woman should eat more animal products (egg yolk, liver, butter), as well as carrots and parsley.
- Vitamin E is an essential element for newborns, as it helps the functioning of most metabolic processes (we recommend reading: Vitamin E in drops for children: the names of the drugs). The highest concentration of this element is found in colostrum.
- Vitamins of group B. This group of vitamin elements for the most part is found in animal products. A vegetarian woman should resort to the help of pharmaceuticals to compensate for the lack of this trace element.
- Vitamin C. It is also extremely necessary for newborn children. A sufficient amount in human milk needs to be fed from time to time with a new portion of vegetables.
Vitamins in the adapted mixture
The mixture, as an alternative to breast milk, should contain the following trace elements: iodine, phosphorus, sodium, calcium, chlorides, manganese, iron, zinc, magnesium, potassium, copper, phosphorus. There are also mixtures that additionally also contain fluorine, selenium, chromium and molybdenum.
A good mix should contain a set of vitamins and minerals.
In an adapted infant formula, there should be at least 15 vitamins: folic acid, choline, niacin, biotin, inositol, necessary vitamins for infants A, B, C, D, E, K. Doctors who are on an artificial type of feeding, rarely prescribe additional vitamin complexes, including vitamin D3 for newborns.
Trademarks of vitamins for children under 1 year
The above information gives us an idea that the appointment of vitamin complexes is justified in very rare cases. As a rule, it is more common to prescribe the course of individual vitamins or their combinations in the event that any disease or pathology has been identified. This decision is connected with the fact that all the necessary elements of the children are obtained from the mother's milk or adapted mixture. Find today in pharmacies, vitamins for a child up to a year is not so easy, but still they are. We list them below.
Vitamin D solution. Dosed for reception 1-2 drops. If the child is born prematurely, a single dose may be increased according to the recommendation of the doctor and will be 2-10 drops. The doctor will evaluate the condition of the infant and determine the exact dosage. For prophylactic administration in the summer, the dose of the drug can be reduced to 1 drop. Disruption of the dosage is not allowed.
Vitamins for children up to a year can be found in this complex. Here you will find vitamins A, D and C. Dosage is measured in drops. 1 ml of solution contains the necessary rate to meet the needs of the baby's body in these substances. Often appointed by doctors for the prevention of rickets, as well as to enhance the body's defenses against viruses and infections.
The tool is a solution. It contains vitamins A, C, PP, D, E, group B, which are necessary for children under one year old. Not bad proved this drug as a prophylactic against hypovitaminosis, as well as an assistant to eliminate it. Reception of solution can be carried out together with feeding. It is allowed to mix it with food or drink.
Kinder biovital gel
Appointed to children older than 1 month with a dosage of 0.5 tsp (2.5 ml), 2 times a day. Vitamin and mineral composition of the drug: vitamins A, B1, B2, PP, B6, B12, C, D3, E, lecithin, sodium, manganese, calcium. The instructions for use spelled out that the drug will be effective in growth retardation, unbalanced nutrition, exhaustion, in the recovery period, and also as prevention of rickets (we recommend reading: recommended prevention of rickets in children under one year old). Vitamin-mineral complex can be called a stretch, since the amount of minerals in it is extremely small. The name "multivitamin" is more appropriate for this tool.
Of the products we consider for children in the first year of life, Biovital gel is the richest in composition. Its reception is allowed for children of other age categories, but with a change in dosage.
- Reception of vitamins and complexes for children up to 1 year should be started only after consulting with a pediatrician. The doctor based on the available data will be able to give an adequate assessment of the state of health of the baby and choose the most suitable option for the product and its dosage.
- When buying a drug, do not forget to double-check whether it can be given to children under 1 year old. An improperly chosen remedy can cause intoxication of the child’s body.
- Buy products in proven pharmacies, choosing responsible and reputable manufacturers to buy.
- Remember that most of the vitamin D enters the body from the sun's rays, synthesized in our skin. Do not forget about the benefits of walking in the winter and springtime when the sun is shining.
- When making a choice, pay attention to the vitamin-mineral complexes, as for the children of the first year the important substances will be iron, iodine and calcium.
- The best time to take vitamin means is morning. Reception is desirable to carry out before meals or during it.
- Up to 6 months, the baby has enough vitamins from breast milk or formula, and after this age it comes from supplemental feeding.
Beloved moms, Dr. Komarovsky does not deny the great benefits of vitamins for the growth and development of the child, but at the same time, he does not recommend taking them without special need, but only if there is hypovitaminosis. As for vitamin D, Komarovsky advises not to avoid taking it by children until one year in the autumn-winter period for the prevention of rickets, because the sun at this time is not enough. For more information, see the video from the transfer of the doctor.
Four-year-olds do not get vitamins if they have:
- Hypervitaminosis was diagnosed.
- There is intolerance to the components of the drug.
- There are severe kidney diseases.
Should I use to strengthen the immune system?
The load on the immunity of a 4-year-old child is quite high, since such children usually attend kindergarten or developmental activities, communicate with other children a lot and always risk catching the virus.
Preventing acute respiratory viral infections and colds with vitamins includes the use of complexes rich in ascorbic acid, vitamins E, A and D. These vitamins are especially important for the child's immunity and must be taken into his body in the right amount. If it is impossible to fill the needs of nutrition, complex vitamins will come to the rescue.
Among the most popular drugs designed specifically to support children's immunity are Pikovit Prebiotic, VitaMishki Immuno + and Multi-tabs Immuno Kids.
Forms of release
Children's vitamins are produced in the form of:
- Sweet syrup.
- A delicious gel for spreading on cookies.
- Powder mixed with food.
- Chewable solid tablets.
- Chewy marmalade lozenges.
At 4 years of age, children especially like vitamins in the form of animal figures that need to be chewed. They are cute and tasty.
What vitamins are better to give: a review of popular
Vitamins for children which company to choose
Children's vitamin-mineral complexes are represented in a huge assortment, which makes the choice of the drug much more difficult. What is guided when choosing vitamins? First of all, you need to choose drugs that match your child's age. This is due to the fact that the need for certain vitamins in children gradually changes. You must also take into account the individual characteristics of the baby.
The drug may contain substances that are allergens for the child, so you should always pay attention to the composition. And the next important factor is the producer of vitamins. It depends on the quality, effectiveness and safety of the product.
We have prepared a ranking of the best manufacturers of children's vitamins:
1. Rainbow Light
These companies select only high-quality fresh products that are tested for the absence of herbicides, pesticides and other harmful substances.
Active Health Teen from the manufacturer Rainbow Light
These vitamins are designed for adolescent children who are subject to significant mental and physical stress, have a deficiency of minerals and vitamins, problem skin, weak immunity. Vitamins are an additive with a natural composition. Derma complex, which is contained in the product, helps to reduce acne and improve skin condition. A pack of 90 tablets. It is necessary to take up to 3 tablets per day.
- The drug improves the health and condition of the skin,
- easily and quickly absorbed by the body thanks to enzymes and probiotics,
- allowed on an empty stomach,
- increases the energy potential of the body,
- helps bone growth
- increases stress resistance, immunity.
- large pill size
- contraindication: hypersensitivity to the components of the additive,
- high price.
Kid's One Daily by MegaFood
Vitamins are recommended for children from 5 years. Suitable for boys and girls. The drug supports the normal healthy growth and development of the child. Vitamins are made from plant ingredients that are grown on land that has not been treated with pesticides.
To obtain 1 g of biologically active material, manufacturers process up to 10 kg of first-class natural raw materials, so the cost of vitamins is quite high. The tablet form is oblong, with rounded edges, thanks to which it is convenient and easy to take. Daily rate - 1 pc. In the package of 30 or 60 tablets.
- there are no artificial colors, flavors and other harmful additives in the composition, so vitamins do not cause undesirable reactions after ingestion,
- pleasant vegetative taste
- vitamins have a powerful antioxidant and immunomodulatory effects,
- do not cause irritation of the stomach, so fasting is allowed,
- improve the child's appetite, mood and sleep,
- supplement is absolutely safe for the child's body.
- high price,
- with hypersensitivity to the ingredients of the drug, from the reception should be abandoned.
Baby Plex Animal Parade from Nature's Plus
These vitamins are designed for toddlers and babies. Do not contain sugar, artificial colors, preservatives, flavors and common allergens. The basis of vitamins: A, C, D3, E. The concentration of vitamins corresponds to the physiological needs of a young child.
It is recommended to use with artificial feeding, for the prevention of rickets and other diseases. Daily intake - 1 ml. For convenience, the reception can be mixed with juice or water. Volume 60 ml.
- the drug contributes to the normal development and growth of the baby,
- pleasant orange aroma,
- supports intestinal microflora
- ensures the health of nails, hair, skin, eyes,
- prevents the decline of immunity and the occurrence of colds, rickets,
- strengthens dental and bone tissue
- for ease of use in the package embedded dropper dispenser.
- high price,
- contraindication: a tendency to allergies.
Multivitamin for Kids from the manufacturer Garden of Life
Vitamins are designed for children over 4 years old. They are gummy candies in the form of a bear with a pleasant cherry flavor. The preparation contains vitamins A, D and C. In addition, there are 24 types of organic vegetables and fruits in the composition, which compensate the child’s daily need for minerals and vitamins, and also have an antioxidant effect. Plant material is not subjected to heat treatment, therefore, retains all the useful substances. There are no artificial colors, preservatives and flavors. A pack of 60 or 30 chewable bears. Daily rate - 2 pcs.
- The drug strengthens the baby’s immune system,
- supports the health of the eyes, digestive system,
- provides physical and mental energy
- promotes normal bone growth,
- improves the digestibility of food.
- as part of brewer's yeast,
- It is forbidden to exceed the daily rate.
Smart omega baby from manufacturer Schonen
Vitamins are designed for children from 6 months. If the child has intense workloads associated with learning, then taking the drug will be especially relevant, since Vitamins help improve performance, memory, mental clarity and reduce fatigue. The basis of the drug is fish oil, vitamins A, D, E. It is produced in the form of oil with a volume of 100 ml. It is recommended to take during the month 5 ml per day for children up to 3 years, 10 ml for children up to 7 years old, for adults and children over 7 years old - as prescribed by a doctor.
- vitamins improve mood, intellectual abilities, memory of the child,
- vitamin E has an antioxidant effect,
- contribute to the normal functioning of the nervous system and brain,
- reduce the tendency to irritation, stress, mood swings,
- activate immune defense
- the drug compensates for the need for vitamin A at increased visual loads,
- contributes to the proper development of the skeletal system
- Suitable for the prevention of cardiovascular diseases.
- not recommended for lactation and pregnancy
- excess dosage may lead to a laxative effect,
- with a tendency to allergies, it is better to refuse.
Added Attention from the manufacturer Buried Treasure
The drug is designed to enhance concentration in children over 4 years old. The basis of the composition of the B vitamins, which improve attention, memory, the central nervous system and promote intellectual development. Packaging in 473 ml. You need to take 15 ml per day, for convenience, you can mix with your favorite drink.
- the drug helps the child to better absorb the educational material,
- relieves from fatigue, stress, depression,
- increases body tone,
- has a calming effect, normalizes sleep,
- strengthens the walls of veins, arteries, capillaries,
- supports the health of organs of vision
- chromium in the composition of the drug contributes to the normalization of blood sugar levels.
- Reception on an empty stomach is not recommended.
Vitamins are developed for children from 3 years. It is recommended to take in the period of intensive development and growth, with increased mental and physical exertion, increased fatigue of the child, poor appetite or unbalanced nutrition. The basis of the drug is calcium, phosphorus, vitamins C, PP, E and B. The daily intake is 2 chewable tablets. Reception course - 1 month.
- the drug strengthens the dental, bone tissue,
- boosts immunity
- improves eyesight, appetite, condition of hair, nails, skin,
- normalizes the thyroid gland,
- suitable for the prevention of rickets,
- improves blood circulation
- affordable cost
- pleasant taste.
- excess dosage may lead to the development of a laxative effect,
- contraindications: diabetes mellitus, the tendency to allergies.
Children's Multivitamin from manufacturer Dr. Mercola
The drug belongs to the premium vitamin complexes. Vitamins are in the form of tablets with a light orange flavor. They can be chewed, rassasyvat like candy or just swallow. The basis of the composition of the vitamins: A, C, E, D, B. Does not contain allergens such as yeast, dairy products, soybeans, etc. The package contains 30 servings. It is necessary to accept daily on 2 chewable tablets.
- pleasant taste,
- the drug does not contain iron, therefore, overdose is excluded with this substance,
- has an antioxidant effect,
- regulates the metabolism
- useful for skin, hair and nails
- restores and preserves vision
- normalizes blood sugar levels
- prevents the development of caries, rickets and other diseases.
- high price,
- contraindication: allergy to the components of the drug.
Vitamins are developed for children of school age (7-14 years). Reception is recommended to improve efficiency, strengthen the immune and nervous system, improve the tolerance of physical activity in a child. The basis of the composition of iron, copper, vitamins C, B and A. Does not contain artificial colors, preservatives, flavors. Daily intake - 3 chewable tablets.
- vitamins normalize the nervous system and reduce irritability, apathy, drowsiness, fatigue,
- help to successfully learn the material
- affordable price,
- suitable for the prevention of anemia,
- reduces the risk of rickets, diseases of the teeth.
- it is forbidden to exceed the dosage, otherwise there is a risk of iron overdose, which is accompanied by a disorder of the gastrointestinal tract, reduced blood supply to the brain, etc.,
- contraindication: hyperthyroidism, hypersensitivity to the components of the vitamin complex.
What vitamins for children to buy
1. If a teenager has acne, acne, then it is better to purchase Active Health Teen from the manufacturer Rainbow Light. Developed derma complex helps to improve the health of the skin of a teenager.
2. Vitamins that will reliably protect the child from vitamin deficiency in the winter-spring period - Kid's One Daily from the manufacturer MegaFood.
3. A drug that will compensate for the deficiency of minerals and vitamins in babies - Baby Plex Animal Parade. Vitamins are especially relevant during artificial feeding.
4. Multivitamin for Kids or Pikovit Yunik - these are vitamins that the child will take with great pleasure, since they must be chewed, they have an interesting shape of a bear and a pleasant taste.
5. A drug that will not only enhance the child’s immunity, but also improve the functioning of the cardiovascular system, the central nervous system, increase physical and mental activity - Smart Omega Baby from the manufacturer Schonen.
6. The best vitamins for the brain are Added Attention from the manufacturer Buried Treasure. Thanks to natural and highly effective ingredients, vitamins help a child grow smart, healthy and resilient.
7. AlphaVit are excellent vitamins for schoolchildren. They will help your child more effectively absorb information.
Liquid Multivitamins for Newborns and Infants
Today I will touch upon an important topic: under what circumstances does the need for additional vitamins for newborns and infants arise? What complexes are better to choose and where to get them, so as not to harm the health of the baby. Immediately, I would like to note that it is better to forget about pharmaceutical preparations, there is only one synthetics, but I keep silence for fakes.
Usually, breast milk or infant formula provides the baby with all the necessary substances in the first four to six months of life. Even after the introduction of complementary foods for children who eat well a variety of foods, vitamins are not needed. But there are exceptions if:
- the baby was born prematurely, with low weight,
- Fetal developmental delay is observed,
- the kid eats noticeably worse than his peers, indifferent to food or suffers from chronic diseases that reduce appetite,
- a critical period of 3–6 months of life, which is characterized by weakening of passive humoral immunity, due to the catabolism of maternal antibodies
- antibiotic therapy was carried out
Young children (up to 3 years) it makes sense to use vitamins in liquid form. Starting from the age of 2, when the child begins to actively chew food with his teeth, you can use chewable tablets or pills, for example these: Nature's Plus Children's Chewable Multi-Vitamin, Animal Parade and Nature's Plus Children's Chewable Calcium with Vanilla Ice Cream Flavor, Animal Parade
As a prophylaxis of hemorrhagic disease of the newborn, vitamin K has now been given injections of all healthy children while still in the hospital. Avoiding the injection, thanks to products with iherb, described here
Vitamins for children from birth
For the little ones in the store iHerb There are three popular multivitamin complexes in drops from well-known American manufacturers of premium products. Each such complex has high bioavailability and has its own flavor.
This complex is a purified liquid vitamin mixture specially developed by pediatricians for newborns and infants. The concentration of vitamins corresponds to the daily physiological needs of the baby. The complex is ideally balanced for maximum absorption, aims to support the cellular system of the child for optimal development in the infant period.
Vitamin D is present in the complex (as calciferol is D2), which is prescribed to all children in the little sunny period for the prevention of rickets. Vitamin D 2 - is a synthetic vitamin of plant origin. Vitamin D3 (cholecalciferol), the “natural” form of vitamin D, is considered to be more optimal for the human body, but vitamins D2 and D3 are similar in action to the human body.
An important plus in these drops is the content choline (conditionally refers to the vitamins of group B)
It is very important for children from the prenatal period and immediately after birth. Choline not only builds a strong brain, but also supports the work of its cells throughout life, which will affect the improvement of the memory and intellectual abilities of the child in the future.
It is contained in breast milk sufficiently, but not in mixtures, therefore these multivitamins are good for babies who are on artificial feeding.
Does not contain gmo, sugar, dyes, yeast, wheat, soy and milk.
This product does not contribute to the occurrence of allergies, has a good taste and a fairly complete specturum of vitamins.
The highlight of the complex from Twinlab - content docosahexaenoic acid (DHA) - an essential polyunsaturated omega-3 fatty acidwhich is necessary for the normal development of the heart, brain and eyes of a child.
In addition to DHA, drops contain 10 recommended high-quality natural vitamins that do not exceed the daily amount.
Vitamin D - in bioavailable form of D3 Cholecalciferol.
It makes sense to choose this complex if the diet of a nursing mother lacks omega-3 fatty acids. Especially when it comes to women who stick to a vegetarian diet.
Of the benefits - a wonderful composition of vitamins at affordable prices.
Of the minuses - the drops have a sharp orange taste.
Vitamins for children from 6 months
This complex is designed for children from 6 months to 12 years. Designed by Dr. Murray S. Clark, a licensed acupuncturist, doctor of oriental medicine.
This product, in addition to basic vitamins, and their 12, contains 8 more minerals, vitamin-like factors - inositol and choline. What ensures the healthy development of your child, strong immunity, emotional and mental vitality. The dosage of most vitamins and minerals is within the daily limit.
Inositol along with choline play an important role in the body: they are part of lecithin, without which the normal operation of the body is simply impossible. Lecithin - this is the building material for our cells. It is one of the main components of cell membranes, protective membranes of the brain, muscle and nerve cells.
Calcium and magnesium are very small, you can add separately, if the doctor insists. Iodine and zinc is enough.
Iron is absent, I think this is a plus, since it prevents calcium, magnesium and zinc from being absorbed, its reception should be separated from the vatamin-mineral complexes.
Liquid vitamins from ChildLife have an orange color with a pleasant orange-mango flavor.