Delay of menstruation with a negative pregnancy test
The most common reason for delaying menstruation is pregnancy, so if critical days have not come on time, a woman goes to the pharmacy after a few days and buys a test. If there is no pregnancy and the test is negative, the question arises: what is the reason for the delay and what to do?
Can there be a delay in menstruation with a negative test?
Can! Consider a few situations.
Situation one: a woman is sick. The mechanism of the menstrual cycle involves several organs: the brain (hypothalamic-pituitary system), the ovaries, the uterus. Violations of their work lead to a lack of menstruation. The test is not wrong: the woman is not pregnant, and the cause of amenorrhea lies in her body.
Situation two: the test is lying. All rapid tests are based on the determination of hCG (hormone - human chorionic gonadotropin). During pregnancy, the level of hormone in the urine rises, in less than a month reaching 10-25 mIU / ml, thanks to which the test gives a positive result. Overdue or low-quality tests can show a negative result, distorting the situation.
Situation three: incorrect application of the test. Tests can be mistaken if a woman is pregnant, but drank a lot of liquid the day before, took a diuretic or suffer from urinary tract diseases that slow down the hCG elimination.
What to do if the test is negative, but no monthly. In the absence of menstruation and a negative pregnancy test, you need to check again in a week. Collect urine strictly in the morning. You can not take diuretics, you need to limit the amount of fluid you drink. If there was a delay, consider health more carefully.
The reasons for the delay in menstruation with a negative test
The reasons are many, they depend on the state of the woman and the time delay. In any case, there is no need to panic: the delay is not always associated with pregnancy or illness.
The reasons for the delay in menstruation with a negative test
Monthly delay for one day
- A small glitch. With climate change, fatigue, taking some drugs, the cycle shifts. A delay of one day is normal. On the first day of the delay, you do not need to do anything.
- There is a pregnancy, but the test is done too early. Manufacturers write that it is possible to test pregnancy from the first day of the delay: it is not. Sometimes the level of hCG is low and not detected even after a week. It happens that a woman does not always know which day after the sexual intercourse conception took place, and the term is calculated incorrectly.
- Polyp prevents the discharge of secretions. Due to occlusion of the neck with a polyp, atresia may occur, making it difficult for menstrual blood to flow. In this case, the period is, but the blood remains inside the uterus. There is a hemometer, the body is filled with blood. This condition is dangerous to the life and health of women.
If the period of the menstrual cycle, when they must come monthly, lower abdomen and lower back, there are fever, dizziness, nausea and vomiting, you need to consult a doctor.
Delay of menstruation for 7 days
The ovum may leave the ovary later, so monthly periods are also delayed for non-pregnant women. You need to wait, and after a few days of delay go to the clinic to the gynecologist, do a blood and urine test for hCG. In this case, the probability of a false-negative result is minimal.
Delay of menstruation for 15 days
The reasons for the delay in menstruation with a negative test
The 15th day of the delay is a cause for concern. During this period of the menstrual cycle, the next ovulation should already take place.
The reasons for the absence and irregularity of menstruation:
- Stressblocking the release of hormones of the hypothalamic-pituitary system. This condition is caused by depressed mood and other mental and psychological problems.
- Pituitary tumorcausing hormonal changes and the absence of menstruation. Sometimes amenorrhea occurs due to malfunctioning of the adrenal glands and the thyroid gland.
- "False pregnancy"when a woman who seeks or, on the contrary, is afraid of having children, stops her period with a negative test. There are signs of pregnancy caused by psychological self-hypnosis.
- Polycystic ovaryin which cysts of different sizes form in the ovary. In a woman, estrogen secretion is disturbed, the cyclic process of changing the mucous membrane of the uterus is lost. Sometimes the menstrual function is restored, but after a few months it is lost again.
- Ectopic pregnancywhen the fetus is fixed not in the uterus, but outside: in the oviduct, ovary, neck, peritoneum.
- Anemboronal pregnancyin which there is no embryo inside the ovum.
- Placental insufficiencyin which the embryo does not receive enough nutrients and develops poorly.
- Fading pregnancy.
- Anemia (insufficiency of hemoglobin or red blood cells). A woman's body tries to save blood, therefore it blocks the onset of menstruation.
- Weight reduction is significantly below normal. Girls and women, following the fashion, sit on tight diets, lose weight by 10-15 kg per month, provoking amenorrhea.
- Severe diseases and infectionstransferred during the last menstrual cycle
If the repeated pregnancy test is negative, and menstruation does not occur, you need to consult a doctor, undergo an ultrasound and a full examination.
Signs that tell the reason for the delay
Signs that tell the reason for the delay
Delay of menstruation, chest pain. The chest hurts at PMS if there was a delay and when the woman is pregnant, the sign does not have diagnostic value. It’s just tissue edema caused by hormonal changes. If the mammary glands increase in size, the probability of pregnancy is high.
Delay of menstruation after 40 years (with menopause). In the premenopausal period, all women experience monthly delays. The reason - a decrease in the level of sex hormones. The menstrual cycle begins to "jump" from 28 to 90 days, and the discharge becomes more scarce. Sometimes menstruation does not come for several months, and then it begins again.
Although the ability of a woman to conceive after 40 years is already decreasing, pregnancy is possible. Endometrium at this age may excessively thicken, leading to uterine bleeding in a month or two. With delayed menstruation after 40 years, it is necessary to visit a doctor and make an ultrasound.
Delayed menses, pink or brown scanty discharge. This is a dangerous sign indicating a possible tubal abortion due to ectopic pregnancy. A growing embryo entrenched in the fallopian tube or ovary is killed and rejected. Possible rupture of the body with the outpouring of blood into the abdominal cavity, this condition is dangerous to the life of a woman. Sometimes there is a spontaneous abortion. Early death of the embryo is most often associated with genetic abnormalities and immunological problems: the mother's body considers the embryo to be a foreign body and rejects.
Spotting in the absence of menstruation and a negative test requires an urgent visit to the doctor, regardless of the day of the delay, even if nothing hurts.
Delayed menstruation during breastfeeding. In most cases, feeding the baby does not occur during the month (lactational amenorrhea), but pregnancy is possible. A woman finds out about her late when the fetus begins to move, and the interruption is impossible. We have to give birth, although childbirth with such a small interval is undesirable: the body has not recovered from the last pregnancy that ended a few months ago, and the mother is breastfeeding.
Delayed menstruation, pulls the stomach (pain in the lower abdomen, pulls the lower back). These alarming symptoms indicate miscarriage, ectopic or frozen pregnancy, rupture of the tube and ovary. Spotting and pain occur during blood retention in the uterus, diseases of the genital area. The situation requires urgent medical intervention.
Delayed menstruation and temperature 37. Increased body temperature does not indicate pregnancy. It diagnoses the presence of inflammation, and not necessarily in the genitals.
If the basal temperature is elevated (in the rectum), it means that ovulation has passed. During pregnancy, the indicator stays at 37-37.2 and falls when the pregnancy stops or is miscarried. The cause can be determined only by a gynecologist.
How to cause monthly during a delay
How to cause monthly during a delay
It is not recommended to take any measures independently to cause monthly, because the reason for the delay is not clear. In the literature, you can find the following tips:
- Take a bath with water, warmer than usual. With increased pressure and thrombosis, this can not be done: the expansion of blood vessels can lead to hemorrhage, and the separation of a blood clot - to embolism.
- Take vitamin C for three days at a dose of 3000 mg / day. Again, the advice is not suitable for many women, especially the nervous, suffering from stone formation in the kidneys and bladder, pregnant women.
- Drinking pomegranate juice - 2 cups a day, ginger or parsley infusion 100 g / 2 l of boiling water for 3-4 days - these plants also contain a large dose of vitamin C.
- Strengthen intimate life: menstruation may occur due to blood flow during intercourse.
- Take an infusion of cornflower, oregano nettle, dog rose, yarrow, elecampane, knotweed - 2 tbsp / l per liter. It is better to use a mixture of these herbs. Drink throughout the day.
- Drink a glass of broth onion peel of the same concentration as for dyeing eggs.
And yet it is better not to risk it, and if there was a delay, consult a doctor, be examined, make an ultrasound scan, diagnose the cause of amenorrhea and eliminate it.
What threatens a woman with menstruation delay
It all depends on the reasons for the delay. If this is a pregnancy, then everything depends on the intention to leave the child. In all other cases, you need to visit the gynecologist and find out what caused the delay of menstruation. The reason is dangerous: frozen and ectopic pregnancy, fetal fetal death, blood retention in the uterus, inflammation of the internal genital organs. To diagnose amenorrhea yourself and treat it at home is pointless and dangerous.
How to recognize the delay of menstruation?
Normally, the menstrual cycle lasts 21-35 days. If the test is negative and there are no menstrual periods, it is necessary to consult a gynecologist. The absence of menstruation for more than 5-7 days on the background of a negative pregnancy test is the reason for conducting an additional examination.
During the diagnosis, you can establish the true causes of the absence of menstruation. Consider the fact that a negative delay test may be false, especially if you spend it on the day of the alleged menstruation, when the level of hCG (a hormone that is produced after fertilization and egg consolidation) is insufficient to determine pregnancy.
The delay in menstruation is divided into several types:
● violation of the cycle, which is accompanied by rare periods with an interval of 40-60 days, while the duration of menstrual bleeding is only 1-2 days,
● the cycle is extended, lasts more than 35 days, and the menstruation is late,
● absence of menstruation for more than 6 months.
The usual delay of menstruation lasts several days and does not pose a threat to health. But if menstruation always comes irregularly, late for weeks and months, then you need to sound the alarm. Signs of delay on the background of cycle violations are almost the same as the manifestations of the first weeks of pregnancy. The symptoms in both of these conditions are similar.
Delayed menstruation and possible pregnancy
How can a woman understand that she has a slight delay or pregnancy? The ideal solution would be to test. If the results are dubious, there is a barely noticeable second bar, be alert and consult a doctor. Repeat the test the next day. Buy it at another pharmacy to eliminate the risk of using low-quality products. The sooner you learn about pregnancy, the better. If there is even the slightest doubt, it is better to consult with the gynecologist before taking any drugs or using medical techniques.
In the early period, pregnancy can be accurately determined only by ultrasound (ultrasound) or a blood test for the presence of hCG (pregnancy hormone). Ultrasound can not only confirm the conception, but also to establish the number of fetuses, determine the fetal heartbeat and assess the risk of miscarriage based on the condition of the uterus.
Independently suspect the development of pregnancy against the background of the delay of menstruation is possible only on presumptive grounds:
● an increase in basal temperature (the lowest temperature reached by the body during rest) to 36.9-37.1 ° C: it usually has lower values by the beginning of the first phase of the menstrual cycle, indicating that menstruation is coming soon,
● engorgement of the mammary glands,
● discoloration of the external genital organs: the mucous membrane of the genitals and vagina acquires a bluish tint (this is due to high blood filling),
● pulling pain in the lower abdomen: they arise against the attachment of the embryo to the walls of the uterus.
What are the reasons for the delay in menstruation in the absence of pregnancy?
Why is there no menstruation, but the test is negative? Every modern woman asked this question at least once in her life. Even the most effective methods of contraception do not give a 100% guarantee. Therefore, any delay should alert the woman and force him to take an uncomplicated pregnancy test.
The causes of menstrual irregularities and the absence of menstruation can be very different:
● stressful situations, strong emotional shock,
● frequent weight fluctuations, severe dietary restrictions,
● change of climate zone,
● start of taking hormonal means for protection, switching to another method of protection from unwanted pregnancy,
● recent genital surgery,
● obesity or, on the contrary, lack of body weight,
● past abortions
● inflammation of the urinary organs,
● tumors of the uterus, ovaries.
The main reason for the delay in menstruation with a negative test is a failure in the cycle caused by stress or hormonal changes. If this problem occurs periodically, we can talk about persistent violation of the menstrual cycle. Only a gynecologist can make an accurate diagnosis, after receiving comprehensive diagnostic data. When contacting the clinic, a woman will be offered to undergo an examination, laboratory blood tests, an ultrasound.
The sooner you seek help from specialists, the sooner you will be prescribed an effective treatment for cycle disorders and detected diseases. Do not forget to grab an appointment with the doctor data from past examinations. Some women are asked by specialists to show the menstruation calendar, which reflects consistency, duration, and other features of the menstrual cycle.
In recent years, women began to take light and frivolous treatment to the periodic absence of menstruation. They are not in a hurry to consult a gynecologist, which leads to a late start of treatment and a disastrous result. Many benign neoplasms of the genital organs grow without marked pain and discomfort, but they often break the cycle due to hormonal disorders.
Any delay in menstruation with a negative test is a cause for concern. The regularity of the menstrual cycle is an indicator of women's health. If you do not pay close attention to him, skip the alarming symptoms, then in the future there may be problems with conception, childbirth and childbirth.
The hormonal background of a woman acutely responds to adverse effects: stress, treatment with antibiotics and other potent drugs, alcohol use, smoking, and climate change. Menstruation may disappear with the enthusiasm for sports, when the body has serious stress, especially combined with diet therapy. Cycle disorders often appear during the holidays, when a woman spends a lot of time under the scorching sun, dramatically switching to a different diet.
Almost always, menstrual disorders occur due to hormonal imbalance, malfunction of the glands involved in the regulation of the main functions of the body and the ovaries. And, as you know, hormones directly affect the state of a woman - her beauty, mood, performance and longevity. The longer the menstrual function, the better the woman will feel. With the cessation of the production of female sex hormones, the risk of developing arthrosis (age-related deformity of joints), arthritis (deformation of joints independent of age) and other joint pathologies, as well as cardiovascular diseases, sharply increases.
What to do when menstruation is delayed and the test is negative?
A negative test with a delay is a reason to contact your gynecologist. Do not rush to do the test on the day of the alleged menstruation - wait for 2-3 days. This period is considered to be non-dangerous - a slight deviation of the date of menstruation is a variant of the norm. It is better to do two pregnancy tests of a different manufacturer.Then the probability of obtaining a false-negative result will be practically reduced to zero.
Do not try to cause menstruation using dangerous and untested methods of traditional medicine - this can lead to bleeding and increase the signs of the underlying disease. The duration of the menstrual cycle is controlled by sex hormones, which can only be influenced by special preparations. They must be selected by the doctor - and only on the basis of laboratory diagnostic data, determination of the level of hormones in the blood and the results of ultrasound. If timely requested for help, cycle violations are easily amenable to correction.
So, if you have a negative pregnancy test, but there are no menstrual periods, make an appointment with a gynecologist to dispel all doubts and start treatment in a timely manner if violations are found. Every woman should maintain her health as long as possible, because it is a pledge of her femininity, beauty and physical activity.
Causes of delayed menstruation
The menstrual cycle is calculated from the first day of the first month to the first day of the next. It usually lasts 28 days. However, deviations are possible: sometimes the duration of the cycle is reduced to 21 days or increased to 35. That is why monthly do not fall on the same days of each month. This is absolutely normal. If the menstrual cycle is delayed by more than a week, you should consult a doctor.
So, the delay of menstruation can cause:
- drug use (anabolic steroids, antidepressants, some antibiotics, hormonal contraceptives),
- underweight or overweight
- physical exercise,
- bad habits (smoking, drinking alcohol),
- sexually transmitted diseases (STDs),
Myths of delayed menstruation
The following factors do not affect the monthly delay:
- moon phase
- change of sexual partner
- hygiene products
- weather change
- certain foods.
Remember: the menstrual cycle is an important indicator of women's health! If the monthly go irregularly, be sure to consult a doctor.
You read the article about the causes of delayed menstruation with a negative pregnancy test and what to do in such cases.
To worry about internal violations is required when the menstrual cycle exceeds 35 days (the norm established by gynecologists is 28-35 days) or the delay is more than 10 days. The remaining fluctuations are considered physiological, especially if conditional adherence to the schedule is present. If, for a negative pregnancy test, the delay occurred for the first time, before making an appointment with a gynecologist, you can pay attention to the potential non-pathological reasons for this situation:
- puberty (2 years from the time of the first menstruation are characterized by an unstable schedule, delays can last for 2-3 months),
- climacteric period (for women older than 50 years),
- postpartum period
- the use of drugs that kill hormones and the reproductive system (delay in the number of side effects of the cancellation),
- eating disorders (hard diets),
- emotional or physical strain
The period after childbirth and lactation
For active production of breast milk, the young mother greatly increases the level of prolactin, one of the key hormones produced by the anterior pituitary gland. It not only increases the secretion of milk, but also inhibits the cyclic function of the ovaries, which prevents the ovum from developing and prevents ovulation. During the first six months after birth, there is no menstruation in the presence of lactation, and only with the start of the introduction of complementary feeding does the brain receive a signal that prolactin levels are reduced. It is impossible to say for sure how long a menstruation will be observed with a negative test:
- The first menstruation in the postpartum period can happen after 8 months, but after that there is often a delay of another 3 months due to the instability of the hormonal background.
- The term before the first menstruation after childbirth depends on the duration of breastfeeding, so it can be either half a year or 1.5-2 years. Even if the cycle starts early, it is often unstable, with frequent large delays.
- Full restoration of cyclic ovarian function occurs only after the final completion of breastfeeding. The monthly schedule in comparison with what it was before birth can change dramatically.
Climax is a period of decline in the synthesis of female sex hormones and the gradual cessation of this process. It occurs mainly in women aged 50 and has several stages:
- premenopause (delays are constant, physiological causes),
- menopause (complete disappearance of the menstrual cycle),
- postmenopause (if menstrual periods begin - an urgent need to look for the cause of this pathology, since they should not be).
The doctor can establish the menopause if a year has passed since the last menstrual period in a woman who was in menopause. A special test, which is sold in a pharmacy, will be a good help: it is used in the 1st week of the cycle, and if it is delayed for more than 3 months - at any time. With a negative test (1 strip) it is worth a visit to the gynecologist. The beginning of the climacteric period (premenopause), which is characterized by instability of menstruation (delay or early onset), can be identified by additional symptoms:
- muscle cramps
- "Tides" (increased blood circulation in the face),
- increased sweating
- sleep disturbances
- frequent mood swings
- weight fluctuations.
Doctors analyzing the causes of menstruation delay in women of reproductive age with a negative test, argue that the most common is the failure of hormonal levels. Of the non-pathological factors provoking its occurrence, the most obvious is the effect of drugs:
- Hormonal agents for substitution therapy (Duphaston, Cyclodinone) - are used to treat progesterone deficiency, during menopause, and for other problems with hormonal background. Aimed at the regulation of menstruation, but can provoke failures.
- Contraceptive (Novinet, Yarin, Jess) - regularly supply hormones (mainly estradiol) into the body, so the delay of menstruation is a frequent adverse reaction after discontinuation. It is associated with overactive ovarian function. Restoration of the natural cycle occurs within 3 months.
- Emergency contraceptives (Postinor, Agesta, Genale, Escapel) contain a high dose of gestagens that suppress the peak release of FSH (follicle-stimulating hormone) and LH (luteinizing hormone), which provokes the prevention or delay of ovulation. Disorders of the menstrual cycle are a frequent side effect of such drugs.
- Antidepressants - due to the effects on the nervous system and the brain, they become the cause of scanty menstruation, can provoke delays. If there is no cycle for a long time, a change in therapeutic course is required.
- Antibiotics - long-term treatment with such drugs adversely affects the work of all internal organs and immunity, the delay of menstruation is eliminated after cancellation.
- Preparations for chemotherapy in oncology (Doxorubicin, Fluorouracil) - prolonged use of systemic cytostatics (especially in tandem with hormones) leads to delayed periods and even menopause symptoms, the exact outcome of treatment cannot be predicted by doctors. The work of the ovaries can recover several years after the end of therapy.
Use of an intrauterine device
Irritation of the endometrium (inner layer of the uterus), which causes the set spiral, in the first weeks leads to an increase in the duration of menstruation, the appearance of pain and general weakness, but this condition stabilizes quickly. The more common causes of delayed menstruation with a negative test include the installation of a hormonal coil with levonorgestrel, which is regularly released into the body and has a gestagen effect. Cycle failures are observed in the background:
- reorganization of the uterine mucosa (the first 1-3 months),
- infectious and inflammatory diseases of the pelvic organs (they are accompanied by lower abdominal pain, vaginal discharge, fever up to 38 degrees),
- ectopic or ectopic pregnancy (a rare complication requiring surgical intervention).
Neurosis and Stress
Emotional and mental overstrain, short stressful situation - these factors can be the causes of delayed menstruation with a negative test. This is due to the depression of the brain, responsible for the production of sex hormones, the activity of the nervous system, caused by a special vascular regulation. Under severe stress, the complete disappearance of the period for up to a year or longer is not excluded. Additional symptoms that indicate a psycho-emotional cause of delays in a negative test are:
- sleep disturbances
- dizziness, fainting,
- nausea, not associated with eating,
- weakness, lethargy,
- loss of concentration.
The principle of the pregnancy test
Today, pharmacies offer women a huge assortment of various tests for determining pregnancy: from the cheapest to the most expensive. However, they are based on the same principle of action - the reaction to the hormone hCG. This substance is a developing embryo begins to produce in the maternal blood after only a few days after fertilization. In other periods, the woman's body practically does not produce it (the hormone content is minimal). The level of hCG in the blood of a pregnant woman is steadily increasing and reaches its maximum by week 8–9, after which it gradually decreases.
In the female urine, this hormone is slightly later than in the blood. Approximately this happens at a time when monthly periods should begin. There is a delay - a woman makes a test, which records an increased level of hCG in the form of a second strip that has appeared. Under the influence of the hormone hCG in the female urine, a second strip appears on the test.
However, the duration of the menstrual cycle is of great importance: it can be shorter or longer. In the first case, the test may not show the pregnancy immediately after the delay, in the second - to fix it even before the expected menstruation.
Modern tests have a very high degree of accuracy. The higher the sensitivity of the test (from 10 to 25 MME / ml), the, accordingly, the earlier the period at which it will show pregnancy. The main thing is to carry out home diagnostics correctly, strictly following the instructions on the package. Thus, it is necessary to immerse the strip in the urine strictly up to the intended line, and the waiting time for the result should not exceed 5 minutes (later, under the influence of sunlight and other factors, the result may be distorted).
As for the interaction with the urine, in this regard, tablet and inkjet tests are more convenient. The first have a window where you need to drip the liquid, and the second is placed directly under the stream. There are also electronic tests with replaceable cartridges that can even show the specific duration of pregnancy (most of them are inkjet). The test strips will be immersed in urine, the jet strips will be submerged under the stream, and for the tablet ones a couple of drops of liquid will suffice.
Possible reasons for a negative delay test
The lack of monthly in due time with a negative test can be caused by a variety of reasons. In some cases, in the female body, there is still the birth of a new life, which so far simply does not manifest itself. Another situation is a short-term failure under the influence of external or internal factors. And the most serious case is pathological diseases that may in one degree or another pose a threat to health.
Relatively safe reasons
Sometimes the delay of menstruation occurs as a reaction to an external or internal stimulus, or to natural changes in a woman’s body:
- Postpartum delay. After giving birth in the maternal organism, the level of prolactin increases and active production of breast milk begins. At the same time, hormones responsible for ovulation are suppressed, so a woman will have no monthly periods for several months. When the cycle resumes, the first time may well be delays. Even if the mother does not breastfeed the baby, lactation does not stop immediately, and the regular menstrual cycle is established only when hormones return to normal.
- Sharp climate change. This may be due to travel or tourist travel. Plays a role including a long stay under the scorching rays of the sun.
- Improper diet, leading to rapid weight gain, or, conversely, a dramatic weight loss due to a debilitating diet. In the latter case, the amount of adipose tissue decreases, and it has a certain value in the synthesis of estrogen, which is responsible for ovulation. As a result, delays may occur. In obesity, the excessive accumulation of estrogen also negatively affects the cycle.
- Chronic fatigue, too intense workouts in the gym, just great exercise. Under such circumstances, the body seems to suspend its reproductive program - again, ovulation is blocked, and there are delays in menstruation.
- Shifted stress.
- Injuries or diseases accompanied by a long recovery period (someone may have such effects as ordinary flu or ARVI).
- Individual reaction of the body to taking some kind of drug (hormonal, psychotropic drugs). A certain oral contraceptive may not be suitable for a woman - as a result, there are delays (up to 20 days). In this case, the pill must be changed.
- Intoxication due to food or drug poisoning.
- Bad habits: use of cigarettes, alcohol, drugs.
- Climax. Before menopause, women often fix delays in themselves, and this is a completely normal phenomenon, signaling the extinction of the reproductive function. In rare cases, it is observed even up to 40 years old - early menopause.
Photo Gallery: Safe causes of delayed menstruation
In almost all the cases listed, a woman needs to simply change her lifestyle: for example, adjust nutrition, relax more, avoid stressful situations, abandon addiction, etc. (of course, we are not talking about menopause and postpartum delay).
In my case, for example, before the birth, the cycle was always lost as a result of a trip to the sea. And there was an interesting pattern: if the “critical days” were supposed to start during their stay in the south, they always started there much earlier. And if I already came home, there was always a delay of about a week. After the birth of the child, such situations no longer arose: the body began to work like a clock - no delays, even from climate change.
Causes of delay associated with the disease
If delays of menstruation are recorded repeatedly, all the more they are accompanied by worsening of the general state of health, suspicious secretions, pains in the abdomen, this can signal gynecological and other pathologies:
- Polycystic ovary syndrome. This disease, associated with hormonal disorders, can provoke delays for a period of 1-3 weeks (sometimes even amenorrhea occurs - menstrual periods stop altogether). The woman has concomitant symptoms: excessive hair growth over the upper lip, on the arms, abdomen (male hormones are increased), hair and skin become oily (as a result acne appears), excess weight accumulates. The most dangerous thing is that if untreated, infertility occurs.
- Inflammatory processes in the reproductive organs. They are caused by various microorganisms, the most common of which are staphylococci, streptococci, Trichomonas, Candida fungi. For example, the ovaries or appendages may become inflamed - a woman's fever, white discharge, lower abdomen, nausea and vomiting may occur. Candidiasis usually affects the vagina and is characterized by characteristic itching and cheesy discharge.
- Uterine fibroids. This benign tumor makes itself felt delays, prolonged and abundant menstruation, non-menstrual bleeding, lower abdominal pain, bloody discharge during intercourse. However, in some cases, the symptoms may be almost absent.
- Endometriosis. In this disease, endometrial tissue grows in various places, in addition to the uterus itself (it can also affect its deep muscular layers - adenomyosis). The disease manifests itself in the form of delays, abdominal pain, brown discharge before and after menstruation. In some cases, this pathology causes difficulties in conceiving and carrying a child.
- Oncological changes in the reproductive organs.
- Endometrial hypoplasia. If a woman has an abnormally thin endometrium in the uterus (due to lack of estrogen or scarring and adhesions due to past infections, abortions), delays and scanty periods (lasting less than three days) become commonplace. Without treatment, pregnancy with such a pathology is impossible.
- Ovarian cyst.The simplest case is its follicular type: the follicle, having reached a certain size, does not burst, releasing a mature egg, but continues to grow, turning into a cyst. Very often, such education subsequently self-absorbing. However, there are more complicated cases - these are benign and malignant tumors that already require surgical removal.
- Pituitary adenoma. This pathology, in addition to the delay of menstruation, is accompanied by skin rashes, headaches, nausea. In addition, the woman's nose increases, the bite and shape of the eyebrows change.
- Cystitis. This disease can affect the functioning of the ovaries, which causes cycle disruptions. After treatment, problems usually disappear.
- Anemia. If the level of hemoglobin decreases significantly, then the body tries to save blood: it works already for survival, not for continuation of the race. In anemic girls, menstruation comes with delays and is very scarce, often they stop altogether.
Photo gallery: diseases accompanied by delayed menstruation
From these pathologies, before birth I ran into an ovarian cyst. When the delay was two weeks (with the usual stable cycle), I went to the doctor. Ultrasound revealed a follicular cyst. The gynecologist prescribed a progesterone injection to induce menses. But I did not have time to do it (I was at work), and in the evening came “critical days”. The following examination showed that there was no cyst anymore.
False Negative Pregnancy Test
In some cases, a negative delay test occurs during a developing pregnancy. At the same time, various symptoms of an “interesting situation” often manifest themselves: nausea, dizziness, chest swelling, drowsiness, etc. There may be several reasons for this state of affairs:
- Incorrect use of dough.
- Use of an expired product, or it was stored incorrectly.
- A short cycle for a woman (namely, his second phase). The level of hCG has not yet reached the rate required for the test, and the delay is already there.
- Irregular cycle. The future mother doesn’t know exactly when she had ovulation (perhaps it happened quite recently, and the embryo just attached in the uterus).
- Excessive fluid intake shortly before the test (the concentration of hCG in the urine is significantly reduced).
- Kidney disease in women, in which the normal secretion of the hormone in the urine is difficult.
In such situations, the most reasonable solution is to repeat the test after a while (2–3 days), having tried products from different manufacturers, or in the laboratory to take a blood test for HCG.
It was one of the above cases that my girlfriend had. Tests for a very long time gave a negative result, even when the delay was already two weeks. Doubts of the woman and the doctor were resolved by ultrasound, where the fertilized egg was clearly visible. As a result, the gynecologist suggested that, most likely, there was a late ovulation. And the pregnancy was absolutely normal (no fading or ectopic).
Negative test for pathological pregnancy
The most dangerous reason for a false-negative test during pregnancy is its pathological course. We are talking about the fading of the embryo at very early stages or about its attachment outside the uterus (the production of hCG stops, or it is produced in a reduced amount). If the first case usually ends with abundant menstruation (the woman may not even suspect that she was pregnant), then the second is already a very dangerous condition, which is manifested by the following symptoms:
- Cramping abdominal pain.
- Brownish or bloody discharge.
- General malaise.
Such signs are a reason to immediately contact a gynecologist, who will prescribe an ultrasound scan to clarify the patient's condition. Ectopic pregnancy often makes itself felt with acute cramping abdominal pain
Tactic behavior of women with a delay with a negative test
Of course, if the monthly delay was an episodic case (it arose for the first time in a long time, and then the menstruation began), then you should not worry too much. But if this is repeated more than once, then the woman should not be delayed on a visit to the gynecologist. Also, the reason to visit the doctor is a one-time delay, accompanied by abdominal pain, strange discharge and general malaise. If cycle faults occur periodically or a one-time delay is accompanied by abdominal pain and pathological secretions, you must go to a gynecologist.
In addition to examining the chair, the doctor will prescribe the necessary studies to find out the cause of the cycle failures (ultrasound, a blood test for hormones, a vaginal smear, a urine test, etc.). Depending on the nature of the revealed pathology, a therapist or an endocrinologist can join the treatment. At the same time, the main task is not to eliminate the delay of menstruation, but the pathological condition that causes them (after that the cycle will be adjusted).
It is unacceptable to cause monthly folk remedies. This can lead to an exacerbation of the underlying disease and uncontrolled bleeding. The menstrual cycle is controlled by hormones, and it is necessary to act on them extremely carefully - only under the guidance of a doctor.
By itself, the delay in menstruation with a negative test is not hazardous to health - diseases that are manifested by cycle instability can pose a threat. If this situation is repeated periodically, then the woman should definitely contact a gynecologist. Another case is a false-negative test with an existing pregnancy. In this case, the “interesting position” will soon make itself felt anyway.