After giving birth, all women are fully focused on their baby. Washing, cleaning, caring for the child, motion sickness and, in most cases, frequent breastfeeding are the daily concerns of the young mother. With all this, the stage of pregnancy is over, and you can still resume intimate life. There is an opinion that a woman cannot become pregnant while breastfeeding, but is this true? Why do gynecologists prescribe birth control pills anyway, although pregnancy with HB is impossible? Or is it possible? Worth to understand.
A woman completely absorbed in the care of the baby may not even notice that she has become pregnant. 24/7 bustle does not allow you to concentrate on yourself and listen to your body at the very beginning of an “interesting position”. But in the end, the woman will guess her new condition very soon.
If the young mother already suspects that something is wrong in her body, then first of all you should watch yourself and analyze the situation. To assess whether there is a pregnancy with HB or is it a false alarm, you need to think and note whether there are any signs listed below.
Possible signs of pregnancy with HBV
- Lack of menstruation. If it does not occur in the first six months after childbirth, then you should take a pregnancy test or go to an appointment with a gynecologist. Excess check does not hurt.
- Soreness of mammary glands and nipples. With HB, most women know firsthand that breast swelling, redness and painful nipples and halos are associated with the beginning of breastfeeding, which is not developed by everyone. This is especially true for primipara women, as well as those who have flat or inverted nipples. While the baby develops a breast, time will pass. Therefore, pregnancy with HB is so easily overlooked.
- Reducing the quantity and quality of milk. With the onset of pregnancy, the woman's body begins a global restructuring. This also applies to the production of milk, which may decrease in quantity, and its taste may also change. The kid will certainly notice the changes and may well refuse to breast or start to eat poorly. Many adults think that a child is picky or shows his character, but the reason for his crying lies much deeper.
- Increased fatigue. In the first months, the young mother is especially hard to care for the baby. Constant sleep deprivation and a rather active life often lead to a woman at the end of the day simply falling off her feet. Pregnancy and the formation of a new life inside the mother also takes a large number of forces. As a result, a woman will not immediately be able to guess what happened.
- The work of the uterus. Under the action of the hormone oxytocin, milk is removed from the glands. If the test shows two strips, then the other hormone, progesterone, which promotes relaxation of the uterus, begins to stand out. There is some conflict, and if progesterone is not enough, then this is the threat of termination of pregnancy. Therefore, any manifestations of pain, you must necessarily speak to your doctor.
- Toxicosis. As with normal pregnancy, and with GV toxicosis can not be avoided. Frequent bouts of nausea give reason to think: maybe something is wrong in the body? In any case, it does not hurt to make a pregnancy test.
There are other signs of pregnancy with HB, namely: a change in taste preferences, drowsiness, back pain, a different perception of aromas, frequent urination, a change in basal temperature, mood.
Are you pregnant or not?
To date, the probability of pregnancy with HB is high enough. If a married couple leads an active sex life without being protected, then the possibility is very big. Breastfeeding is not protection from unwanted conception. In addition, getting pregnant after a recent birth is quite dangerous, since the body has not yet had time to fully recover from the previous gestation. Moreover, doctors categorically do not recommend pregnant women who have had a cesarean section. The sucking of the filaments, the healing of the suture (both in the upper layer of the skin and in the internal tissues) occurs very slowly, so gynecologists talk about possible subsequent pregnancies only 3 years after delivery, not earlier. In addition, if the seam has not yet healed properly, it will not be able to withstand repeated carrying, and this already threatens with an abortion.
Who is the first to notice that soon there will be replenishment in the family?
Of course, baby. The change in the taste qualities of the milk secreted by the mother during pregnancy is immediately noticed by the baby. Children eat milk many times a day, so they quickly remember the taste of food consumed. Even if the mother eats something sour, spicy, salty, the child will certainly feel it through the milk. Possible crying or his bad mood is the result of not only colic, but also of a possible pregnancy, as the mother begins to reorganize the body. Therefore, if the baby suddenly noticed a change in milk, expresses his displeasure, then these are the first signs of pregnancy with HB.
Continue to breastfeed or better not?
Many people ask: "Is it possible to continue HBV during pregnancy?". If, nevertheless, the “interesting position” of a woman is confirmed, then in any case, you should not deprive your child of milk.
Of course, it may now be necessary to feed it with a mixture, because the milk produced is not enough, and the child simply does not eat enough. But in any case, he gets mother's milk, and this, as all experts say, is the best food for the baby.
Lack of periods is not a reason to relax.
Many say that pregnancy with HB without menstruation is impossible, but is it? In fact, before the arrival of the first menstrual period, ovulation occurs first. If at this moment there is an intimate affinity with her husband, then conception is just around the corner. If fertilization has not occurred, then menstruation comes. But this does not mean that there was no chance to have a second or subsequent child.
When the chance to get pregnant is higher. Reason number 1
There are times when an unplanned pregnancy may occur during HB with a high degree of probability. The first thing you need to pay attention to is the frequency of feeding the baby. If a baby drinks 150-180 ml of milk 5-6 times a day, then the chance is much higher than when breastfeeding servings would be smaller, but the attachments themselves would be more frequent. In addition, if the crumb is not fed up, then more frequent attachment to the chest will solve this problem.
Reason number 2
Secondly, early replenishment in the family depends on how old a boy or girl is. After 4 months, they usually begin to administer supplements (vegetable puree, porridge), gradually replacing 1-2 feedings per day. By 6 months, when fruit purees are added to the diet, and the menu becomes more diverse, the risk of unplanned pregnancy begins to increase. After 7-8 months, mashed meat is added to the baby’s diet. After this point, many women leave to feed, because the child has almost completely switched to adult food, or reduce attachment to the breast to a minimum. In this case, you can easily get pregnant.
Reason number 3
Feeding a child by the hour is a common reason why many give birth to a little sister or brother. Feeding on demand will be more correct with HB. In addition, all children are different, and a break of 3-4 hours at one time of day may seem long for a baby, and at another - fast. It is better to apply to the breast of the child when he wants. But it is worth remembering that the minimum time between feedings is 2 hours. This rule should be followed in order not to disrupt the digestive enzyme systems.
Protection - mother care
If pregnancy with HB is undesirable, then it is worth talking about protection. Carrying a child a few months after giving birth or having an abortion are not the best actions that will shake the health of a young mother. To protect yourself, you need to think about contraception in advance. The most famous methods of contraception today with HB:
- Condoms. Convenient, affordable, simple. However, according to experts, they do not give an absolute guarantee against unwanted pregnancy. But the benefits they bring are not to be denied.
- Intrauterine device. About it you can say: set and forget. Already in the eighth week after birth, its installation is permissible. In addition, the cervix is still soft, so insert it does not deliver strong inconvenience. Protection is very high.
- Birth control pills. Oral contraceptives are another good way to prevent pregnancy. They create mucus, due to which the passage of sperm through the cervix becomes difficult. If after all they were able to break through this barrier. and fertilization has occurred, then the resulting embryo will not be able to attach to the wall of the uterus and begin to grow, because the endometrium of the uterus is changed.
All methods of protection, their purpose, duration of admission and the necessary withdrawal of the drug should be decided only by the attending physician. Any independent actions can harm the health of women.
Women during pregnancy are accustomed to constantly visit the gynecological office. But after childbirth, everything changed, and on two or three examinations and testing, everything ends. This is wrong, because it takes time to restore a woman after childbirth with HB. So, the observation should be longer. Regular visit to the gynecologist (at least once a month) will relieve new problems, including helping to identify the beginning of pregnancy in the early stages. Therefore, decide on further action and maintain the health of the mother.
It is worth remembering: the widespread opinion that it is impossible to conceive during breastfeeding is erroneous, and this has long been proven by relevant experts. HBG and new pregnancy can exist together, but how this affects the mother's health is a big question.
There are girls who want to have children of the moment, and therefore they are specially trying to settle a new life in themselves. But how did the new pregnancy affect GW? All different. The female body of each individual, and you should not try on a successful pregnancy or a tragic abortion. In any case, the birth of a new life is always happiness, regardless of life principles and circumstances. Any decision made for a woman will be correct, because each person is subsequently responsible for his actions.
Probability of conception with HB
It is believed that breastfeeding and new pregnancy are mutually exclusive concepts. Therefore, many couples refuse contraceptives and use the method of lactational amenorrhea. Any gynecologist will say that this method is not reliable, because you can get pregnant even with active breastfeeding.
Female physiology is designed so that immediately after childbirth there is a dramatic change in hormonal levels. Hormone prolactin promotes the formation of breast milk. With increased prolactin, the ovaries stop working, and the endometrium does not increase, which is accompanied by a lack of ovulation and menstruation.
It can be concluded that pregnancy while feeding is impossible, but it is not. It is difficult to predict how the hormonal background will react to a new state of the body. Medicine knows many cases when the onset of ovulation leads to conception with HB. The sex glands can actively earn a month after childbirth, or “sleep” until lactation stops.
The probability of pregnancy after childbirth increases under the conditions:
- feeding by the hour. In order for prolactin to be produced in sufficient quantity to suppress ovarian function, it is necessary to attach the newborn on demand,
- baby sucks soother. As a result, the baby needs less maternal breast,
- baby is fed from the bottle. This leads to a gradual decrease in milk production,
- no night feeds. During this period, there is a peak of lactation producing hormones,
- The couple does not use modern contraceptive methods. For nursing women there are several methods of protection from pregnancy (condoms, spiral, mini-drank).
The first signs of pregnancy can be easily noticed if you listen to your well-being.
Signs of pregnancy when breastfeeding without menstruation
It is easy to suspect pregnancy with an established and regular menstrual cycle. With a delay, the woman begins to listen to herself and notices other symptoms of fertilization. However, during the GW cycle is irregular. Therefore, it will not be possible to recognize the new condition by the delay in the physiological absence of menstruation.
In the early stages, some women from the first days feel the new situation. Others define changes in their bodies closer to the second trimester. If you are actively feeding and pregnancy cannot be determined by delay, you should look for other obvious symptoms.
As soon as the fertilized cell is implanted in the mucous layer of the uterus, the restructuring of the hormonal background begins. For this reason, the nipples become sensitive and even change their color. During pregnancy, it is unpleasant to feed women with HBV. If earlier sucking a child did not cause inconvenience, now every touch on the nipples causes pain.
When HB pregnancy manifests itself in the form of breast growth. However, the amount of milk does not increase. Suspected pregnancy during lactation is possible only on this basis: sensitive breasts and painful feelings when sucking.
Pregnancy during lactation, as usual, may be accompanied by toxicosis. While in some women it is manifested by nausea and morning vomiting, in others by a feeling of hunger. Toxicosis in the future mother arises due to the formation of toxic substances, which are formed during the development of the embryo. In the early stages of this condition does not cause fear among physicians, if it does not lead to depletion of the body.
Toxicosis during lactation in many women is accompanied by the desire to eat something unusual. In the first months of lactation, the newly-made mother should adhere to a special diet and exclude some foods from the diet, so that the baby does not develop an allergic reaction or does not begin colic. If earlier such restrictions were tolerated calmly, then after conception the craving for salty or sweet becomes irresistible. It is worth noting that not only pregnancy during breastfeeding is accompanied by hunger or, on the contrary, nausea. These symptoms can talk about other disorders in the body.
Changes in baby's lactation and behavior
During breastfeeding, the volume of milk produced corresponds to the needs of the child. As the child grows up, the amount of natural food increases. If a new pregnancy comes, a change in the hormonal background will inevitably occur. The level of prolactin will decrease, and the amount of progesterone will increase. For this reason, the amount of milk may decrease. The woman notes that the chest is no longer poured, as it was before. The baby has to suck for a long time to begin the tide. During pregnancy and breastfeeding, the mother may notice the anxiety of the child. The baby is angry that he cannot get as much food as he wants, he becomes whiny and is often applied to his chest.
It is believed that after conception the taste of breast milk changes. Because of this, some children abandon their usual diet. But the taste may change due to the mom's diet. Therefore, this feature can also be considered indirect.
New conception in women is not like the previous one. Therefore, you should not look at all the symptoms that were last time. They may be different.
- Changes in the bowels. Due to the production of progesterone by the corpus luteum, the muscle tissues of the body relax in the ovary. This leads to poor digestion and decreased motility. A woman feels increased flatulence, especially in the evening and sometimes suffers from constipation.
- Drawing pain in abdomen. Sucking the breast causes a contraction of the uterus. In a pregnant woman, this is accompanied by pain, and in medicine it is called “hypertonus”. If the discomfort appears periodically, you should definitely consult a doctor.
- Vaginal discharge. During the period of active lactation, the amount of cervical mucus decreases markedly. If discharge suddenly appeared (mucous, white, milky), then these may be symptoms of pregnancy.
- Education strips on the abdomen. Pregnancy during feeding, as in its absence, is accompanied by the appearance of pigment along the abdomen. This feature is relevant for those women whose strip has already disappeared after the last gestation.
- High basal temperature. A reliable sign of pregnancy on HB is the rise in BT. If a woman kept the schedule, now she will be able to establish the fact of conception. The early basal temperature is kept at 37 degrees.
Can I use the test when breastfeeding
It is believed that the pregnancy test with HB use is meaningless. По отзывам женщин, при повышенном уровне пролактина, что считается нормой для лактации, устройство не покажет правильного результата. На самом деле это не так.
The test is designed so that it reacts to a single hormone that is produced from the first days after implantation. Every day its level grows in the blood and then in other biological fluids, including in the urine. If there is a pregnancy and the amount of chorionic gonadotropin is large, then the test will show two strips. For a reliable response, choose reliable devices with high sensitivity.
Women who do not use contraception during lactation, gynecologists recommend doing tests every month. This approach will allow time to determine pregnancy. Even if a woman is determined to give birth to babies, it will be better if she finds out about the conception held before it becomes noticeable to others.
Doing a pregnancy test during lactation is not contraindicated, it does not harm. However, for a more reliable result, it is better to pass a blood test for hCG.
Is pregnancy dangerous with HB?
Pregnancy after childbirth during breastfeeding is often not considered a dangerous situation. Many women successfully bear and give birth to babies. However, such a load is heavy for the body. When feeding by breast milk, the body spends a lot of energy on its production. Pregnancy is also a load that requires intensive work of organs and systems.
It is also believed that during gestation and simultaneous lactation increases the risk of miscarriage. Sucking movements stimulate the nipple, and this causes an increase in uterine tone. But not all doctors support this view.
Gynecologists recommend planning the next pregnancy no earlier than 1-2 years after the previous one. At the same time, it is advised to wean a baby from the breast in order to minimize the likelihood of problems and allow the body to recuperate.
If pregnancy occurs after a cesarean during the first year, then there is a serious threat to the health of the woman. Doctors advise after such an operation to plan conception not earlier than in 2-4 years. It is important to consider the condition of the scar. If fertilization occurs earlier, then it can disperse, leading to massive internal bleeding and fetal death.
If breastfeeding shows signs of pregnancy, it is necessary to consult a doctor. After the examination, the specialist will allow to combine lactation with carrying or report on the need for weaning. One of the options for successful and long-term breastfeeding is tandem.
The probability of conception during lactation
Modern medicine does not deny a woman the right to breastfeed at the onset of conception. Consultant on GW Natalya Razakhatskaya says: if you become pregnant again, this does not mean that the baby should be weaned immediately. He's not guilty that mom is in an interesting position! At the same time, his need for breast milk has not decreased at all as compared with the first weeks of life.
However, the very possibility of pregnancy during the feeding period, many women question. In the people there are myths that allow young mothers to feel "relaxed", until suddenly they notice "something is wrong." Here are the most popular.
LAM method is highly effective
The LAM method is the achievement of that very period of lactational amino-acid. Official medicine recognizes its effectiveness under certain conditions.
- Breastfeeding on request. A woman breastfeeds a lot and often.
- Lack of breast substitutes, supplement, supplementation. The baby receives only breast milk, without nipples and pacifiers, without supplementing his diet with a mixture and water.
- No monthly. Pregnancy during lactation without menstruation is not likely under the requirements of the LAM method. But with the monthly method does not work.
- Baby's age is up to six months. Even if in six months after birth, the monthly and never returned, you can no longer rely on natural contraception. After six months, the release of the egg is possible at any time.
The effectiveness of the LAM method in compliance with the requirements is 98%. The risk of unplanned pregnancy increases if you skip night feeds and put your baby on your chest less than ten times a day.
Monthly lost - again means "safe" days
In case of violation of natural breastfeeding (attachment according to the regimen, supplementation), the probability of early arrival of menstruation is high. Often, a woman suddenly realizes that there is less milk and is trying to resume lactation. With frequent breastfeeding of the child, the periods disappear again, and several months are not “shown”. However, this does not mean that pregnancy does not come.
The level of prolactin and oxytocin does not allow ovulation only with the constant maintenance of the regime of natural feeding. Any “failure” in it increases the risk of egg release. Even if there are no periods, you can get pregnant.
Give birth to the next need as soon as possible
It is difficult for a modern woman to imagine herself as a mother and a housewife for seven or eight years. Many people prefer to "shoot off" at once: give birth to the same time, and let it be difficult, but survive the time of "diapers and feedings" faster - in two or three years. It makes no sense to protect themselves during the breastfeeding period, they say. The sooner the next pregnancy comes, the better, because the body is prepared, the body still "remembers everything": how to bear and how to give birth.
In fact, the “memory of the body” about pregnancy and childbirth is incorporated genetically in us. It doesn't matter when you give birth to the next baby: in a year or ten years, your body will behave the same way. However, the gestation period itself is a threat of lactation. Yes, and the body has not yet recovered from the previous "marathon".
During the first pregnancy, the woman feels nauseous, the urge to vomit, especially in the morning. The mammary glands swell, there is a frequent desire to eat, menstruation disappears. So our body reacts to significant hormonal changes that occur in it. However, during the breastfeeding period, hormonal adjustment has already taken place. And the usual signs of pregnancy may not work.
What symptoms will allow a pregnancy test during breastfeeding, and understand that the baby is developing again in your body? Let us dwell on the characteristic signs.
No global research has been conducted on how lactation "behaves" during pregnancy. On its features can be judged by the reviews of moms, experts in breastfeeding. So one of the leaders of “La Leche League” Nora Bumgarner in the book “Raising a Baby Older than a Year” points to her own research conducted with the participation of three pregnant women who continued breastfeeding.
The author notes that already in the second month of pregnancy, the composition of breast milk is changing, which returns to the state of colostrum. It increases the amount of protein, sodium, while the intensity of its production decreases, despite stimulation by the frequency of attachments. Also decreases the level of potassium, glucose, it becomes less lactose.
According to the author of the book “Breastfeeding: a guide for physicians” by Ruth Lawrence, there are no ways to increase milk production if it decreased due to a woman’s pregnancy, or to change its composition. Both the intensity of lactation and its content will return to their original indicators only after the birth.
The cause of these processes is the activation of the hormones estrogen and progesterone in the woman’s body. They suppress milk production. It is impossible to change the process, since estrogen and progesterone determine the ability of a woman’s body to bear a child and prepare the body for childbirth.
Breastfeeding during pregnancy
Modern medicine sees in maintaining breastfeeding during pregnancy a risk to the fetus. It is created by the effect of oxytocin (lactation hormone) on the uterus. Studies and observations of women have shown that stimulation of the nipples provokes the contractile activity of the uterus, and therefore can cause premature labor.
But the physiology of the female body is not so simple. According to the expert of “La Leche League” Sora Feldman, a woman has all the chances to successfully endure another pregnancy without interrupting breastfeeding. The reason for this is a change in the membranes of the uterus and the regulation of hormonal levels.
- Uterus. Its structure is not the same in the pre-pregnancy state, during pregnancy and after delivery. It changes the number of oxytocin receptors, as they increase the uterus prepares for childbirth. The more receptors, the greater the chance that the body will start productive contractions. However, a sufficient number of oxytocin receptors is formed only by the end of the second trimester. And for some women, their level remains low until the very birth. Therefore, theoretically, stimulation of the nipples is dangerous only towards the end of the second trimester of pregnancy, before breastfeeding can be continued fearlessly.
- Hormones. Progesterone is the dominant hormone during pregnancy. It relaxes the smooth muscles that cover the walls of the uterus, and causes it to remain at rest until the birth. Closer to the "final day" is rapidly increasing levels of estrogen, causing generic activity. These processes for the woman's body become priorities over the regulation of the production of prolactin, oxytocin. Therefore, in theory, lactation should go to "no" by itself at the time of birth. However, nature has made lactation hormones reflex dependent. If breast stimulation continues, they will be produced, albeit in smaller quantities.
- Susceptibility to hormones. Immediately after birth, oxytocin hormone levels are incredibly high. As the woman adapts to breastfeed, he declines. The body produces less of it, because it “knows” how much hormone is necessary for the normal maintenance of lactation. If the next pregnancy occurs six months after delivery, the level of oxytocin is no longer so high as to cause a dangerous "behavior" of the uterus.
Recommendations for maintaining lactation
Having decided to stop breastfeeding, a woman should consider the risks to the baby and her own body.
- Maintain feeding for at least six months. For a young child, a conversion to an artificial diet can be critically dangerous. Do your best to maintain lactation for up to a year.
- Watch for weight gain and baby growth. If milk production decreases, you will need to introduce a supplement to maintain the nutritional value of the baby’s diet.
- Do not wean off until the twelfth week of pregnancy. A sharp break from the chest in the first trimester can cause a hormonal "surge" in the body and cause a miscarriage. After the twelfth week, the risk of miscarriage is reduced.
- Watch your diet. During pregnancy and breastfeeding the body intensively consumes valuable substances. Their inadequate intake with the diet will worsen your health. Take a multivitamin complexes for pregnant women, eat a balanced diet.
- Consume enough water. Liquid is needed by the body for normal milk production. Its deficiency can cause premature labor.
It is extremely difficult for a woman to find a balance between the interests of an already existing baby and what is developing in her. Identify it will allow control over their own condition and sensations. It is important to keep breastfeeding as long as possible, but on condition that your health remains normal.
The inability to maintain lactation due to the threat of miscarriage is the basis for the completion of breastfeeding. But to make this decision and excommunicate the child when identifying the first signs of pregnancy during breastfeeding is unacceptable. HBG experts recommend to finish feeding gently, gradually. And do it in the second trimester of pregnancy.
A little about nature and our capabilities.
The opinion that was widespread until recently that pregnancy with breastfeeding is unlikely and even impossible - these days are a little and irrelevant. Lack of ovulation during breastfeeding is common to most mammals: in nature, therefore, the population of a species is regulated, but the human body does not work on a strict schedule due to lifestyle and the influence of many factors, and therefore natural contraception fails. Homo sapiens was able to make rational decisions in this matter on its own, but for this it is necessary to have some ideas about the reproductive properties and physical abilities of your body:
- The minimum period between pregnancies, according to many medical scientists, is 2 years, but the full recovery of the woman’s body after childbirth occurs within 3-4 years,
- Ovulation can occur as early as 10-12 days after delivery, before the onset of the first menstrual period - it all depends on the woman’s health, the rate at which the body’s hormonal background is restored, and also ... the time and intensity of feeding the baby,
- Pregnancy during breastfeeding can take place without the usual symptoms already familiar from the previous period of childbearing, but every woman is able to recognize even the slightest changes in this direction - you just have to take a closer look at your body and not neglect the help of a pregnancy test.
It must be remembered that an important condition for conception is ovulation, which occurs 2 weeks before the start of menstruation. Restoration of the menstrual cycle in the postpartum period for each woman individually, and occurs at different times - and therefore the absence of menstruation at the first time after birth can be mistaken for signs of pregnancy when breastfeeding only in conjunction with other symptoms.
Forewarned is forearmed
As mentioned earlier, signs of pregnancy in women who are breastfeeding may take place against the background of other changes in the body: it is no secret that a dramatic change in taste preferences is characteristic and, for the first time after birth, drowsiness or dizziness may indicate fatigue, headaches or a sharp a change of mood is about nervous exhaustion. However, the combination of these signs and the cyclical nature of their manifestation most likely indicate that the period of the first ovulation after birth coincided with unprotected sexual intercourse - the test will most likely confirm these suspicions.
Morning nausea is also a powerful argument in favor of the urgent acquisition of a pregnancy test, especially if the nursing mommy feels fine the rest of the time. As a rule, nausea in the morning, coupled with frequent mood swings, unusual experiments on the combination of food (for example, pickles and condensed milk) and the increasing need to "go in a little" - all these are obvious signs of an "interesting situation", and not done The test in this case will be the policy of the ostrich.
However, it is possible that during lactation pregnancy will take place a little differently than it was before:
- If during the first pregnancy a woman has experienced all the “charms” of toxicosis, this does not mean that he will pursue her during the next childbearing, and vice versa ...
- Puffiness of the legs, causing great inconvenience in a previous pregnancy, may not appear at all,
- Pulling back pain, fatigue, headaches and other symptoms of a past pregnancy will remain only in the memories, without causing anxiety this time.
Strangely enough, but the risk of getting pregnant soon after giving birth, increases with the nursing mother, if the child maintains the sleep and lactation times on a clear schedule, without even requiring night feeding, it gives the mother’s body the opportunity to rest and recover faster, thus bringing the time closer first ovulation and "provoking" a new pregnancy.
The same consequences can result from the introduction into the child's diet of additional mixtures.
A nursing mother should consider purchasing a pregnancy test or going to a gynecologist if:
- The baby refuses to breast for no apparent reason - the “new” pregnancy causes milk taste changes that the baby may not like,
- A change in the consistency of milk, or a drastic decrease in its quantity, is a possible evidence of pregnancy, since in this case the body needs additional resources to carry the fetus,
- The first time after childbirth and the beginning of feeding the child is characterized by swelling of the breast, some soreness and hypersensitivity of the nipples. But if these symptoms do not disappear with time, and even worsen, besides, the skin around the nipples acquires a darker shade - this is the reason to "err" by making a pregnancy test.
Of course, the signs of an “interesting situation” are so individual for each woman that attempts to enumerate and describe them in detail are doomed to failure. A pregnancy test can only state a fact. In order not to “miss the time of the first ovulation and not accidentally get pregnant, the best way out would be to think about suitable methods of contraception in the first days after birth.
Вероятность зачатия при кормлении грудью
В настоящее время существует масса контрацептивных средств, которые помогают не допустить наступление беременности.
Среди них популярность получили:
Первые 2 средства для предохранения от наступления нежелательной беременности незаменимы в случаях нерегулярной половой жизни. Спираль позволяет забыть о беременности на 5 лет. При необходимости ее извлекают раньше. КОКи пьют согласно схеме: 21 день приема, 7 дней отмены.
The method of lactational amenorrhea is based on the fact that during breastfeeding, conception does not occur. Suppression of ovulation occurs due to the production of a large amount of the hormone prolactin, necessary for the appearance of breast milk. But some women are faced with a new pregnancy during lactation. Why it happens?
Menstruation during breastfeeding is most often absent. The recovery of the cycle for each woman is individual, therefore pregnancy during this period may occur after the first maturation of the egg. If the woman is not protected, instead of the monthly she will find 2 strips on the pregnancy test.
The onset of pregnancy when breastfeeding is possible in 10% of women.
In order to reduce the risk of pregnancy during lactational amenorrhea, the following conditions must be met:
- breastfeed on demand (if the feeding is done according to the regime, the efficiency of the method is significantly reduced),
- night feeds to produce daily
- Avoid pacifiers, as the child may confuse the nipple and nipple and begin to abandon the breast.
However, under all conditions, the occurrence of pregnancy occurs in 1-2% of cases.
Compliance with these simple rules will reduce the likelihood of pregnancy, but will not remove it completely, so you need to use a reliable contraceptive to prevent unwanted pregnancy. It should be noted that this method works only in the first six months of breastfeeding.
If the conception on the background of lactational amenorrhea did occur, the question arises whether it is possible to breastfeed during pregnancy.
How to determine pregnancy when breastfeeding
It is difficult to understand that a new pregnancy has begun during lactation, since women can attribute many changes in their bodies to motherhood.
Among the symptoms that help determine the occurrence of pregnancy during breastfeeding, the main ones are:
- compaction and tenderness of the mammary glands (often this symptom occurs during lactation during milk rush or stagnation),
- soreness of the halo and nipples, which can occur with cracks during HB,
- lack of a menstrual cycle, which is also characteristic of breastfeeding,
- feeling of heaviness in the lower abdomen,
- drowsiness, which is associated in young mothers with lack of sleep,
- change in taste and smell,
- interruptions in mood
- pain in the back, which can occur during prolonged wearing of a child,
- changing the baby’s behavior when breastfeeding by changing the taste of breast milk and sealing its consistency,
- independent and abrupt failure of the child from the breast.
If, after 6 months after birth, the menstrual cycle has not recovered, it is recommended to make a pregnancy test. After 7-10 days from the moment of conception, he will show a positive result.
How pregnancy affects breastfeeding
When pregnancy occurs during HB, there are 3 possible scenarios:
- continued breastfeeding of the newborn,
- weaning him
Pregnancy and breastfeeding do not exclude each other, especially if the child is not older than 1 year. Often, babies themselves refuse breast milk because of changes in its taste, but attempts to preserve lactation are possible.
It is worth remembering that the woman's body is primarily configured to prolong pregnancy and only secondarily to preserve the production of breast milk.
When re-conceiving during lactation, a woman may experience nipple soreness and breast swelling, which is also associated with changes in hormonal levels during pregnancy.
2 trimester is accompanied by a decrease in the production of breast milk, so you have to transfer the child to a mixed type of food. If, after giving birth, a woman has enough milk, she can continue feeding both children at the same time.
There is no reliable data on whether breastfeeding affects the fetus. Most doctors recommend abandoning breastfeeding with the onset of a new pregnancy. This is due to a change in the hormonal background of the woman’s body. It is believed that the increased content of prolactin may increase the risk of miscarriage or premature birth, as the level of oxytocin increases automatically.
If a woman decides to have an abortion, it is fraught with negative consequences. Termination of pregnancy leads to a serious failure in the hormonal background of the female body. In this case, abortion can cause infertility in the future.
There are situations when breastfeeding and pregnancy are incompatible. For example, if the first child was born by caesarean section, and the second conception occurred within six months after the operation. If there is no stabilization of the suture on the uterus, this is fraught with complications not only for the mother, but also for the fetus. The most difficult of them is the rupture of the uterus and the death of the child.
Whether lactation and conception are compatible
Both processes - both pregnancy and lactation - belong to the hormone-dependent sphere of the body. And the fact that subordinated to hormones, most women seem very difficult and difficult to identify symptoms. In fact, knowing the physiological characteristics of the processes, if not identified, then at least suspect, one against the background of another.
Pregnancy on the background of lactation is not uncommon
Hormones after childbirth
So, during the period of active lactation, women have no menstruation. This condition is called lactational amenorrhea: the body of the newly-minted mommy is restored after giving birth. During this period, prolactin, a hormone secreted by the pituitary gland, suppresses ovulation, cyclical changes do not occur in the uterus, and hence there are no menstrual changes.
Contraception with the lactational amenorrhea method
The natural method of protection from unwanted pregnancy, the lactational amenorrhea method, is based on hormonal changes in the body of a nursing woman. But it is 96% effective and that if the baby receives only the breast, without additional feeding and feeding, at any time upon request (at least six times a day), including full night feedings. Six months after birth, when the baby begins to receive complementary foods, and breastfeeding begins not so intense, the level of prolactin will decrease, and the level of estrogen and progesterone, the female sex hormones produced by the ovaries, on the contrary, will increase. The monthly cycle will begin to recover.
It is interesting. Since the hormonal background of each woman is individual, the earlier onset of menses is not considered a deviation, after 3-4 months. The lactation hormone can be released less if the young mother takes some medications, including hormonal ones, as well as with a decrease in immunity.
But even the complete absence of menstruation is not a guarantee of protection, since prolactin may not be produced enough, ovulation does occur, and it happens that in the first cycle after birth, after 2-3 weeks, the woman becomes pregnant again.
Restoration of the ability to conceive occurs individually
Signs of pregnancy during lactation
Different periods of the arrival of menstruation, as well as an unstable cycle, lead to the fact that a woman may not know about pregnancy on the background of breastfeeding immediately. But there are several main symptoms of the onset of conception on the background of lactation.
- Atypical behavior of the baby during feeding. Such signs include reluctant sucking or even refusing to eat. Hormones produced to maintain a new pregnancy can affect the consistency and taste of milk, it becomes salty. However, this symptom is not considered to be too reliable, since a lot of factors can affect the appetite of a child (malaise, cutting teeth, etc.).
- Reducing the amount of milk. A woman's body seeks resources to preserve pregnancy, so the rest of the functions become secondary, and there is less milk.
- Changes in sensations in the mammary glands. In this case, we are talking about swelling, unusual sensitivity and pain that interfere with normal feeding. These symptoms usually end by the second trimester.
In addition, during lactation, a nursing woman in the position experiences the same “classic” symptoms as non-nursing pregnant women:
- the delay of menstruation (this is a manifestation of the new state of the young mother is indicative only if the cycle has already been established),
- heaviness in the uterus, the presence of contractions,
- pain in the lumbar region,
- frequent urging to the toilet,
- change in taste preferences
- constant fatigue, sleepiness.
Both sets of symptoms are relative, as these or other symptoms may occur against the background of various changes in the woman's body, and are not always caused by pregnancy. For example, fatigue and drowsiness are the constant companions of the young mother, who has several times increased worries with the birth of the crumbs.
Some signs of pregnancy may appear late or not appear at all.
Signs of pregnancy are very individual, therefore, personal impressions are diverse.
My nipples hurt while feeding (but this was after 6–7 weeks), although it was possible to endure. I did not feel any other changes. Signs of pregnancy - an individual thing, milk may decrease, but maybe not. So, in any way, the test will have to buy. Pregnancy is quite possible - I also had only 2 menstruation, and without a clear cycle.
Usually, when the breast is full, the breast reacts clearly - the nipples become painful and often feeding the older one becomes annoying. Breast - as a litmus test, more likely any tests will determine pregnancy.
I twice pregnant on Guards. In addition to the delay, there were no signs, toxicosis began later.
PUNK IN SOUL
The easiest way to confirm or deny a pregnancy is a test. Its strips contain reagents that appear when they get a hormone produced from the first days of conception - hCG (chorionic gonadotropin). As early as 7–10 days after fertilization of the egg, the test will show two strips.
Important: lactating women who do not have regular sexual life or the cycle has not fully recovered, and there is no contraception, gynecologists advise doing a test every two to four weeks, so as not to miss the unexpressed pregnancy symptoms.
Another informative diagnostic procedure is ultrasound.
Pregnancy test is the easiest diagnostic procedure.
Possible complications of a second pregnancy
Of course, the birth of a baby is a miracle that costs many months of gestation, possible ailments, as well as a growing number of worries about two children. But in the first place in the decision to preserve pregnancy in the background of breastfeeding comes an objective picture of the woman's state of health. Therefore, this issue should be discussed with the gynecologist, who will definitely explain to the young mother the possible risks.
- Increased threat of onset of varicose veins. Moreover, the absence of varicose veins in the first pregnancy is not a panacea.
- Risk of miscarriage. After childbirth, gaps could appear on the uterine cervix, which reduce its protective functions, which means that there is a threat of infiltration of the fetal bladder into the cervical canal.
- Chronic diseases (cardiovascular, respiratory systems, etc.) may enter the stage of deterioration. Therefore, in addition to the gynecologist, the issue of preserving pregnancy should be discussed with a specialist.
- Anemia. If previous births were accompanied by abundant blood loss, the risk of pregnancy complications in the background of progressive anemia increases.
- Inflammatory processes in the uterus after childbirth, especially after cesarean section, can lead to miscarriage or the formation of a defective scar on the uterus.
Pregnancy during lactation after cesarean
On the uterus after cesarean section remains a suture. It takes time to heal - the doctors insist that at least 1.5–2 years. If after birth less than 12 months have passed, then the risk of miscarriage increases, as well as seam divergence, which can lead to irreversible consequences for the woman. If there are such threats, doctors recommend a medical or surgical abortion.
Pregnancy less than 1.5–2 years after cesarean section is often fraught with miscarriage
Breastfeeding and Pregnancy Compatibility Issues
Breast milk is the best food for the baby. Therefore, most mothers, re-pregnant, lactation does not stop. However, this decision must be approved by a gynecologist who:
- examine the health status of a woman
- will take into account her age, term of carrying,
- analyze the course of a previous and present pregnancy,
- will consider the psychoemotional state of the infant.
If it is decided to stop breastfeeding during pregnancy, the choice of a method for stopping lactation (medication, mechanical) remains with the gynecologist. Although there are cases when the milk goes away by itself.
And I only had 2 cycles, and I didn’t wait for the third one. But, the truth is, the test worked clearly - 2 stripes, both clear. And there were no special signs. Well, drowsiness (but it can be without pregnancy). And I was breastfeeding a child for weeks to 9 pregnancies (well, of course, not every feeding, but only for the night at the end - to finish HB.) The only thing I can say as soon as I decided: “I don’t have to breastfeed this night I will ”- everything went perfectly (in terms of weaning). The child did not react. Say, do not give - well, we eat from a bottle. And I had no problems - the next day there was still a little milk (but nothing hurt, it didn’t draw), and after a day - everything. Completely empty chest. And no pumping, pain, dressings, roaring child - I was really worried, and everything went just perfect!
But a woman who has preserved a pregnancy on the background of lactation raises many questions, among which there are 6 of the most burning ones.
Is milk still good for baby?
All the nutrients in the milk are retained, but their number may decrease, since at first the mother's body will provide the fetus with all necessary, and then the baby. Therefore, if the baby takes the breast well, it does not have discomfort in the abdomen after eating, pediatricians recommend keeping lactation. If the child has a violation of the chair, pain in the abdomen, then it is better to switch to artificial feeding.
It is interesting. In this chain of nutrients, the woman herself is in the last, third place after the fetus and the child. Therefore, during pregnancy she needs to eat well and varied, eating for two in the truest sense.
A pregnant woman who has preserved lactation needs a complete diet.
Does lactation provoke miscarriage
Many gynecologists do recommend that pregnant women end lactation, arguing that oxytocin, produced during breastfeeding, provokes uterine contractions and, as a result, expulsion of the fetus. But research by scientists has shown that the uterus is insensitive to oxytocin until the 28-week period, so feeding does not pose any threat of disruption.
If a woman has bleeding, spasms in the lower abdomen, fever in the first trimester, then after an immediate consultation with the doctor, you may have to finish the lactation.
It is interesting. With the onset of a 20-week period, a woman may feel training bouts (some expectant mothers experience these sensations throughout the entire period of childbearing). The lumbar region and lower abdomen as if pulling, and the uterus is compacted. In this case, a woman needs to be interrupted in her affairs, lie down, lifting her legs up, drink water and try to calm down - the threats of these fights (Brexton-Higgs) are not borne. But if they occur regularly, the number of feedings should be reduced to a minimum.
What to do with discomfort during feedings
Hypersensitivity of the nipples and breasts during pregnancy, as well as the appearance of teeth in the child during feeding, causes unpleasant, sometimes painful sensations. Alas, it is impossible to change this state of affairs, only to endure: discomfort will decrease by the second trimester. In the meantime, you can relieve the uncomfortable condition by controlling how the baby captures the breast. Wide open mouth should deeply capture the entire areola. It is also worth reducing the time the crumbs stay on the mother’s breast to 10 minutes.
Can I carry a child in my arms
Wearing gravity during pregnancy is prohibited, but what about the baby who needs tactile contact with the mother? First, you should not give up carrying a child, you just need to do it less long and often. Secondly, you can take the crumbs sitting or laid next to him on the bed. And, thirdly, in the early stages, you can use a sling or ergo-backpack. And when the stomach becomes large, sit the child on the thigh.
Отказывать малышу в тактильном контакте нельзя ни в коем случае
Хватит ли молока
К началу второго триместра в организме беременной повышается уровень эстрогенов и прогестерона, которые начинают подавлять выработку молока. Именно в этот период педиатры рекомендуют отлучать малыша от груди. Но здесь важно учитывать функцию, которую грудь выполняла для ребёнка. If it is more nutritious, then complementary foods, the mixture will help to safely refuse mother milk, and if emotional, that is, the baby calms down, falls asleep on the breast, then, most likely, the taste changes in milk will not affect the attachment of the crumbs. In this case, even with the lure and feed mixtures will remain.
It is interesting. Many women are afraid that the second baby will not have enough milk - the first one will suck everything out. These are unfounded fears, because after birth, the body will trigger the lactation mechanism, just like last time.
To be or not to be tandem
The situation when a woman feeds both children of the same age immediately is called tandem feeding. This is a very (!) Big physical stress on the mother's body. But the decision still remains for the woman. The choice of this method of feeding is key to the age of the first child. If at the time of conception he was about six months, then after the appearance of the second baby, the first will be only one and a half years old - the need for breast milk is still high. But if the child was more than a year old, then a new pregnancy is a suitable reason to end lactation.
By tandem feeding today ambiguous attitude
Video: pregnancy on the background of lactation - from the experience of a young mother
Despite the well-established view that it is impossible to get pregnant against the background of lactation, the probability of conception is quite real. Therefore, a nursing mother should be aware of not only the signs of the onset of pregnancy, but also of the peculiarities of combining the two main appointments of a woman. At the same time, no one cancels the basic rule for all women: any suspicion, symptoms and anxiety is a reason to take a pregnancy test, and then, if the result is positive or there are doubts about its reliability, go to a gynecologist.