Most often, the baby starts floundering at the time of falling asleep. This phenomenon occurs in adults, and is easily explained from the point of view of medicine.
Mothers babies sleep sensitively, waking up from any sound from the crib. They care about everything: how the baby breathes, on which side it sleeps, the body temperature. And if a clogged nose is quite a predictable phenomenon, then when a child jerks in a dream, every woman panics. Why do startleings happen, and is it dangerous?
Transition between sleep phases
Most often, jerking of the child occurs at the moment of falling asleep. This phenomenon occurs in adults, and is easily explained from the point of view of medicine.
A person's sleep is periodic, consists of slow and deep phases, while the one-month baby’s alternating cycle lasts only 50 minutes. Falling asleep, an adult goes into deep sleep almost immediately, the crumb asleep for the first 20-30 minutes.
When the phase changes and the so-called startle happens. An adult at this moment may dream that he falls into the abyss or flies fast. The muscle spasm from which the body is pulled is a defensive reaction to the body's slowing down of its processes.
In medicine, it is called hypnagogic fright. Both the adult and the child sometimes wake up at this moment.
There are other causes of startling in babies in the first months of life. But they, for the most part, are not a symptom of any disorder.
- Immaturity of the nervous system. Excess of not only negative, but also positive impressions can excite the infant too much. This is bad for falling asleep and the quality of rest: the baby wakes up and cries.
- Teething . Usually the first teeth appear by 4–6 months. But this is only an iceberg problem. And the pain, forcing the crumb to "flinch", can begin much earlier.
- Urination and defecation. Sometimes a small child shudders during these processes. If there is no redness around the urethra, do not worry.
- Intestinal colic. The first months of the newborn suffer from increased gas formation associated with the imperfection of the digestive system. The pains make the kid pull legs and cry.
- Sense of insecurity. The baby often wakes up due to uncontrolled movements of the limbs. Having become accustomed to cramping in the womb, children get scared of their own pens.
Dr. Komarovsky does not see anything dangerous in that the baby sometimes twitches when falling asleep, and considers this phenomenon to be quite normal.
When to sound the alarm?
First of all, determine the nature and regularity of startles in a child. If during sleep the baby jerks no more than 10 times, and after waking up quickly falls asleep, there is nothing terrible.
When at the same time with this phenomenon you observe the general anxiety of the baby, increased excitability and signs of ill health, you should turn to a pediatrician. It will help determine the nature of dysfunctions in the body and refer you to the right doctors.
Why do jerks appear on the background of neuroscience? Similar disorders are observed in premature infants or children who have suffered hypoxia during labor.
An excess of vitamin D, as well as a deficiency of calcium and iron can be a cause of unexpected startle.
Increased intracranial pressure, like a number of other pathologies of the nervous system, is a consequence of difficult birth, accompanied by sleep disturbance and the general restless state of the newborn.
Shudder or convulsions?
Separating these two concepts is extremely important, since seizures are symptoms of serious diseases and a reason for stationary observation.
If the child twitches in a dream rhythmically and for a long time, and when he is picked up, the phenomenon does not stop, we are talking about the second.
By the way, in ordinary children, without a predisposition to epileptic seizures, seizures are rare, mainly during elevated body temperature.
Why is this dangerous? Reaching critical levels, the temperature in infants can cause brain damage. And the convulsions in this case are the forerunner of the looming threat.
Especially carefully monitor body temperature in children during the first months of life. The younger the child, the more serious the consequences.
"Recipe" from flinching
Of course, there are no such instructions and drugs that would help eliminate the causes of the unpleasant phenomenon. But to improve sleep and make it longer possible.
- Observe the temperature conditions. Cool, moist air, according to Komarovsky, will save both from diseases and during them. Science has also proved that sleep hormone is better produced in the cold. Therefore, even in the cold air, do a wet cleaning and remove the heaters that dry the air.
- Control emotional background. Think, if the baby constantly shudders, maybe you are too aggressive with him or do not pay enough attention while he is awake.
- Dose impressions. It is difficult to guess that in a day it will strike your kid more - an unfamiliar aunt or butterfly fluttered in front of your face - all this comes around. But to reduce the activity before bedtime, to help the crumbs to relax, to tune in to rest - the task of parents.
Do not accustom the infant to sleep in silence from birth, swaddle when he wakes himself up with his hands, you are more often in the open air. And if you still think that the child shudders too often - consult a doctor.
Features of baby sleep
If the child jerks with his feet when he falls asleep, it is called myoclonia. In fact, this phenomenon is natural and characteristic not only for children, but also for adults, but children's sleep has significant differences.
A person’s sleep consists of several phases: sleep and periods of superficial (fast) and deep (slow) sleep, which alternate with each other. Superficial sleep of an adult is about 2 hours during the night. The rest of the time, the deep sleep phase continues. In a child, deep sleep does not last long and is soon replaced by a superficial one.
During the fast phase, jerkings happen that disturb parents; a crumb can frown, sob, smile, or talk.
Why is the baby in a dream twitching and waving his arms
The reasons that a small child in a dream jerks with his legs and hands can be different, and most of them do not pose any danger.
- Baby just has a dream. And he can twitch at the moment when the superficial sleep is replaced by deep. Since the alternations of phases occur frequently, the parents may feel that the child shudders and waves its arms constantly.
- The baby grunting and jerking with his feet in a dream at the time of defecation or urination.
- A baby is capable of frightening loud, harsh sounds or a sudden bright light. From them, the baby shudders without waking up.
- Babies of the first year of life are often worried about colic or discomfort from teething teeth. Unpleasant sensations violate the calm rest. At the same time, the baby cries, bends and knocks its legs, and even when it calms down, it often wakes up.
These phenomena are characteristic of all babies.
Pediatricians associate the startling of a newborn, with which it interferes with its sleep, with the adaptation of the infant to an independent life outside the womb of the mother. To help him during this period, you can swaddle the baby or wrap it in a special envelope for sleeping. So he will feel protected, calm down and quickly fall asleep. Sharply throwing up the arms, the baby will not wake himself up, since his movements are limited by a soft “cocoon” imitating the placenta.
What should parents do if babies are twitching in their sleep
It is unlikely that adults will calmly watch as the crumb begins to twitch when it falls asleep. If the doctor did not find any deviations in health and development in the baby, the parents are able to help the child sleep at night without waking up from the slightest twitching of the palm or foot.
- It is necessary to provide a comfortable temperature in the nursery (18–20 degrees). The room where the baby sleeps should be aired regularly. The bed should be placed away from heat sources. Every day the children's room needs wet cleaning. And when the baby is sleeping, it does not need to be covered with a large number of warm blankets.
- The baby can spin in the crib just because it is in an uncomfortable position. To avoid this, you can teach him to sleep from birth on his stomach (necessarily on a hard mattress without a pillow). For some babies, this is not the case, so parents should experiment with the pose and lay the crumbs as comfortable as they are. Additionally, you need to remove from the crib all foreign objects and toys.
About 1 time per hour, mothers are recommended to change the position of the baby (gently turn his head in the opposite direction or shift the handle).
- The reason that the baby wakes up in a dream from jerking can be a nervous overexcitement. To prevent this from happening, you cannot play active games with him or watch TV before putting them down. It is much better to bathe a baby in warm water with herbs and read a book.
- If the child suffers from colic and has a hard tummy, the mother can gently massage it clockwise and apply a warm diaper.
- In the case when the cause of sleep disorders was teething, you can use special gels that relieve pain during this period.
- It is important to ensure silence and organize muffled lighting in the room where the small child is sleeping.
- An adult needs 5 minutes to plunge into a deep sleep after falling asleep, the baby will need about 20 minutes. For this reason, the baby, asleep in his arms, wakes up as soon as they try to put him in a crib: he is just still in the phase of REM sleep and sensitively reacts to external influences.
- Most premature babies are in a phase of REM sleep, so they jerk more often than other babies. There is nothing bad in it: it means that the brain of the child works intensively, develops and grows.
- Many children sleep well with loud enough uniform background noise. This is because, in his mother’s stomach, the crumb constantly heard various sounds — the hearts of the digestive system — to which he was used and which calmed him.
There are situations when jerking talk about diseases that need to be treated. Therefore, it is useful for parents to know which causes are abnormal and what is worth paying attention to. These include:
- high intracranial pressure
- calcium deficiency in the child's body,
- violation of the digestive tract,
- irritability syndrome,
- metabolic disorder
Such pathologies occur in children infrequently. A pediatrician can detect them after an examination, when physiological causes are excluded.
Attention! Twitching during sleep may be due to vaccination. Especially often it is observed from the vaccine against chickenpox and DPT. Also, the crumb can strongly twitch after a fall.
Baby shakes his head
In addition, the child jerks the handle or leg when he sleeps, he can shake and shake his head from side to side, scaring impressionable parents. Usually this situation is observed in children aged 6 months to 3 years.
Sometimes this can be due to a lack of vitamin D in the body and the beginning rickets. The disease can be recognized by additional symptoms: the crumb is sweating profusely, the head rubs against the pillow, the muscles become sluggish, and sleep becomes restless. In the daytime, a nervous tic may occur.
If nothing like this happens, mom doesn't need to worry. The only thing that parents should do is to take care of excluding the possibility of injury to a child who is actively shaking his head in a dream. This will help the special soft bumpers for the bed. All fastenings must be reliable, and the projections that the child is capable of striking are eliminated.
A child jerks his legs in a dream (2-3 years)
If the sleeping child jerks, jerks his legs, most likely, his nervous system is in an excited state. If before going to bed the kid participated in active games, he watched emotional a cartoon or there were guests in the house, it is not surprising that he had difficulty falling asleep.
When a child is sick and his temperature rises, then at night, in addition to jerking, seizures may occur. It is important to monitor the condition of the crumbs and monitor the temperature, since its strong increase is dangerous.
5 year old child jerks while sleeping
From this age, babies often disturb nightmares. A child may spin in a dream, shudder, mumble, wave his arms, wake up. Avoid frequent repetition of frightening dreams will help:
- clear mode
- restriction of excessive evening activity,
- good bedtime stories
- cozy night light by the bed.
Children from 12 years old
Older guys and teenagers jerking in a sleeping state can be the result of neurological problems, neuroses and fears, which often lead to depressions. It will require advice from a neurologist and a psychologist, help create a favorable home atmosphere.
Twitching after sleep
Some children begin to twitch when they wake up and get up. Here parents need to pay attention to this, since such a state may speak of neurological pathologies. An urgent visit to a neurologist is needed if:
- a child has seizures,
- the baby often complains of a headache, a pulling sensation in the limbs,
- during the game there is a sharp fade.
In most cases, in twitching in a dream, children have nothing to worry about. This is a feature of the development of their nervous system, and by about 7–10 years, most likely, it will pass without a trace. But if the active movements of the limbs or the head prevent the child from fully resting, it is better to consult with the children's neurologist. He will be able to prescribe a baby treatment or advise parents how to establish a child’s sleep.
It is proved that a full sleep is very important for a growing organism, and there are many simple explanations why you should observe a balanced mode of wakefulness and sleep.
The newborn in the first months of life is adapting and trying adapt to the environment after the usual stay in the womb.
While the baby is sleeping, very important processes take place in his body:
- A hormone is produced that is responsible for cell growth. This is especially important for children of the first year of life. Intensive tissue growth ensures successful physical development in all aspects. For the first year, the child needs a lot of time,
- the brain processes the information that the tot has accumulated during the day. During the daytime, the child gains experience, develops and improves his skills, and at night, the accumulated data is sorted. Some skills become conditioned reflexes, and favorite images and bright emotions are deposited in his memory,
- The obvious reason why sleep is so badly needed is the rest of the body. The digestive system is suspended, the blood flow is slowed down, the senses are dulled, the motor apparatus is almost completely inactive.
Why do you think a little kid wakes up so often at night? During the night, the baby does not sleep as well as an adult - he has a completely different rest system. Sleep cycles in infants are shorter than in adults, and they have more superficial sleep than deep sleep. And during superficial sleep, a person sleeps restlessly, tossing and turning, and sometimes can wake up. From year to year, as they grow older, the cyclical phases of sleep will change and become the same as in adults.
Why do jerks happen
If you notice that the child is twitching in a dream, then it is worth finding out what this phenomenon can be reasons and prerequisites. This is especially important to understand if winches occur regularly.
It is worth noting that the immaturity of the nervous system often leads to muscular shudder. A twitching chin, shaking hands and feet, as well as lip cramps - these are perfectly normal phenomena, especially often observed when the child falls asleep. As a rule, the newborn does not suffer from this, and these phenomena disappear after three months, sometimes remaining up to a year. If the child is already several years old, then observe his daily life. There are factors that can also cause sleep disorders:
- Busy day, overloaded with various emotions, active play and running. Overworked children find it harder to fall asleep.
- Pay attention to how much time your child spends watching TV, playing with a phone or tablet. Work with gadgets also greatly loads the work of the brain, despite the fact that the child is almost stationary.
- Restless sleep is sometimes caused by the acquired skills of falling, the fear of separation from mom or dad.
- Too much food before bed also makes it easy to sleep. and sleep all night. The digestive system must have a break. If the tummy is full of food, then the baby will sleep restlessly, as the stomach is actively processing the food eaten before bedtime.
- Даже если ужин у вашего чада был задолго до сна, его могут беспокоить колики в животе. Часто новорожденный может испытывать их, если находится на грудном вскармливании, а мама не соблюдает правильного питания. Также причиной колик могут быть нарушения в пищеварении или неправильное питание самого ребенка.
- Perhaps the baby is sick - he has a cold or he experiences pain when teething.
Such a phenomenon as a shudder in a dream at night, a child can last up to 2-3 years. Something similar happens with adults. This condition is called hypnagogic fright, when the muscles contract sharply when falling asleep. Therefore, there is no reason for parents to panic.
Recommendations for a restful sleep
If jerking or jerking is disturbing and often repeats, you can try to avoid it by following a few tips that are also suitable for ensuring a quiet and uninterrupted sleep for the child.
- Calm days give rise to good nights. Try to eliminate stress and emotional turmoil for the child during the day.
- Make bedtime easy massage. This will allow the baby to feel your care and closeness, as well as relax his muscles and prepare the body for a smooth immersion in sleep.
- In the evening, you should take a warm bath, you can use soothing herbs - of course, in the absence of allergic reactions to them.
- Create an atmosphere of calm in the room. Luminous stars on the ceiling, quiet soothing sounds (the sound of the sea, wind, raindrops) ...
- It is very important not to overfeed the baby before bedtime, but he should not be hungry. At night, you can eat a banana or drink kefir with a pair of crackers.
- Comfortable clothes. Pajamas should be free cut and made of natural fabrics.
It is advisable not to wake the child after his shudders, otherwise he will not sleep enough and will not get a good rest. It is necessary to stroke him and calm him down so that he feels the warmth of your hands.
When you need to sound the alarm
Cases are not excluded that the baby may be worried due to seizures. This phenomenon is worth paying close attention.
- Cramps are usually end with awakening. The child wakes up, opens his eyes, screams or cries. The first thing he feels is fear of what has happened. True, there are cases when a person is twitching in a dream as if he is cold. In this case, determine the rhythm of the movements.
- Pay attention to what kind of movements the child makes: the child arches his back, throwing his head back, his legs and arms are shaking for a long time, his hands are clenched into a fist.
- It happens that this happens when mistreatment is wrong with a peanut (when he feels anger, anger, and other negative manifestations towards himself). Upon reaching three years, these manifestations may disappear by themselves.
- In the event that the child has a fever during an attack, you should call an ambulance and inform the attending physician.
Convulsions may indicate a lack of essential minerals (magnesium, sodium, potassium, calcium, etc.) in the body of the baby. In addition, they can appear in diseases such as epilepsy, mental disorders, diseases of the endocrine system, etc. For further diagnosis, you should definitely contact a specialized doctor - a neuropathologist who can make the correct diagnosis and prescribe the necessary course of treatment.
Be attentive to the health of your karapuz. A newborn requires special care and care - which mom and dad do not understand this? Constantly be alert and do not get sick!
What to do if a newborn baby started to shudder in a dream?
A month of baby twitches in a dream because the nervous system is imperfect. He does not control his movements. The baby flinches in his sleep and wakes up. The flinching of the infant prevents him from sleeping. So, the process of adaptation of the newborn to the uterine life is going on. To make the baby sleep well, he should not be swaddled tightly or put in an envelope. He calms down faster, feels under protection. The baby will not wake itself from sudden movements. Movements will not be free. This situation mimics finding him in utero, the baby quickly fall asleep.
Causes of jerking
Usually, the baby does not suffer from these twitches. But there are a number of reasons for which infants may experience involuntary twitching when falling asleep:
- overwork due to a large number of impressions - the arrival of guests to the house or bright street impressions while walking, which led to over-excitement of the kid, preventing him from deeply falling asleep,
- teething - salivation, which accompanies this process, irritates the child's throat,
- intestinal colic - due to the immaturity of the digestive system of the baby and weak intestinal motility. There is increased flatulence, which worries him. The child jerks his legs in a dream and cries. The pose, lying on the tummy, brings relief to the baby, so it is recommended that after each feeding, lay it on the tummy,
- involuntary acts of defecation and urination - emptying the bowel or bladder in a dream, causes the baby to start,
- emotions, both positive and negative, that the infant experiences in a dream, makes him start, especially during a shallow sleep phase,
- allergic rashes on the skin, accompanied by itching - the child twitches when he falls asleep, immersion in sleep is accompanied by crying, anxiety,
- in a dream, the baby may be frightened by his free hands and startling when he wakes up.
All these factors can affect the sleep of the infant, as a result of which the baby becomes restless, often shudders during sleep, screams.
Bounce prevention measures
In order for the infant's sleep to be calm, it is necessary for him to create certain conditions. Proper care for the baby - this is compliance with the regime of feeding, wakefulness and sleep, positive emotions, regular walks in the air, will ensure a full sleep and development of the child.
Children's room should always be ventilated, especially before bedtime. The baby should have a comfortable bed with cotton linen, which is far from the radiators. Daily evening baths, with the addition of decoctions of chamomile or pine needles, have a calming effect on the nervous system of the child.
It is necessary to protect the baby from loud sounds and bright light in the nursery. Gentle hands of the mother, making the baby a light massage, create a feeling of security for him, which contributes to a more relaxed state of the child. When the baby is startled in a dream, there is no need to wake it up, since the baby who has interrupted sleep may have a negative reaction to the forced awakening.
Factors triggering twitching
Why does the child twitch when he falls asleep, what diseases can cause these symptoms? Sometimes, the nature of twitching in babies has a different character. When it is necessary to more closely monitor the child and consult a pediatrician:
- very frequent flinching in sleep - more than ten times per night,
- after each start, the child wakes up with fear, crying, screaming,
- this condition is repeated every night
- the child jerks his feet when he falls asleep,
- the appearance of cramps in the baby.
If a child is twitching in a dream, his movements may be uncoordinated, resembling trembling limbs or muscle spasms. Factors contributing to the development of such symptoms may be different, namely:
- The lack of calcium and or phosphorus in the body of a child leads to the appearance of spasmophilia, characterized by increased neuromuscular excitability, manifested in the form of contraction of facial muscles, twitching of the hands and feet of a baby. This pathology is directly related to the manifestations of rickets.
- Convulsive twitching due to fever (febrile seizures) - can develop when a viral infection develops, accompanied by fever above 38 degrees. There are febrile seizures between the ages of 6 months and three to five years. In this case, the baby appears twitching shoulders, rolling his eyes, suspension of breathing. Signs of brain damage is not observed. In the absence of temperature, no pathological manifestations on the part of the central nervous system are noted.
- Hypoglycemia - lack of glucose in the blood causes convulsive jerking of the extremities.
- Focal myoclonic seizures, when a certain muscle group is reduced in a baby - for example, a child's handle is twitching or the child is jerking a leg.
- If there are twitching eyelids, facial muscles, responsible for facial expressions, then these convulsions are referred to as minor seizures. To a greater extent, these conditions develop in children who have suffered a birth trauma.
Often the convulsive reaction of the body in infants, is due to prematurity or difficult birth. In either case, the central nervous system suffers. This pathology in children is subject to mandatory diagnosis and treatment.
Diagnosis of the child’s condition, when muscle twitches or convulsions appear, is made up of an objective examination of a baby, a study of its neurological status, and laboratory and instrumental methods of research.
If the baby develops convulsive syndrome, then the disease is diagnosed in the hospital, which includes the following research methods:
- blood for ESR, hemoglobin, leukocytosis,
- biochemical analysis of blood for calcium, phosphorus,
- blood for sugar
- radiography of the skull in 2 projections,
- MRI or CT - in difficult cases,
- Ultrasound of the brain.
After examination and diagnosis, depending on the pathological process, treatment is prescribed.
If the state when the child is twitching in a dream is physiological, that is, the central nervous system not associated with the disease, then treatment is not required. Such symptoms in children develop due to the immaturity of the brain. As a child grows up and its nervous system differentiates, jerking in a dream becomes much less.
- febrile seizures - if the febrile seizures were caused by high fever, amid a viral infection, then the underlying disease is being treated to reduce the temperature. As a rule, febrile seizures in children develop as a result of rapidly increasing temperatures.
Therefore, to prevent this pathological condition, the parents of the baby need to monitor the fever and prevent its rise to high numbers. Drug treatment of viral infection is prescribed by a pediatrician. As a rule, with age, febrile seizures disappear, without affecting the physical and psycho - emotional development of the child.
- spasmophilia - treatment is aimed at increasing the concentration of calcium and phosphorus in the body of a baby. Along with specific drugs, sedatives, fortifying, vitamin therapy are prescribed. Symptoms of convulsive muscle contraction in a child pass as the concentration of calcium and phosphorus increases in the baby’s body.
The prognosis for spasmophilia for life is positive. As a rule, residual effects in this disease are not observed.
- convulsions observed in organic brain lesions due to birth injuries or asphyxia require specific anticonvulsant therapy prescribed by a neurologist. Depending on the degree of damage to the central nervous system, this therapy is complemented by medical drugs that reduce swelling of the brain, stimulating the development of mental activity of the baby.
Along with drug therapy, a general massage is carried out, baths with coniferous concentrate, decoction of chamomile flowers and mint herb. For older children, bromine electrophoresis is assigned to the collar area.
The prognosis for children with various diseases, both functional and organic, will be positive in terms of physical and mental development, since the children's organism has a great plasticity and the treatment carried out in time gives a good result.
Only with significant brain damage and developmental delay, children with severe mental disabilities will have an unfavorable prognosis for life and social adaptation. In this case, such children are to be treated by a psychiatrist.
The author of the article: Neurologist Ivanova Tatiana Vladimirovna
Child jerks in his sleep: causes, help from parents
Adults are touched as a baby sleeps. When they see a picture of a quiet, sleeping baby: Pens in their fists, puffy cheeks, light breathing, the heart is filled with awe. Parents of grandmothers and grandfathers rejoice at the sweet and dear face of a sleeping little, defenseless little man.
Night sleep is the basic need of any living organism. For children, this is especially important. They grow up when they sleep. The nervous system of the little man develops at this time.
If there is enough milk for a baby, care for it is good - there is no reason for alarm. Young moms make these twitches nervous.
Why the child is twitching in a dream: the reasons are physiological and pathological.
There is a need to distinguish between healthy baby physiological reactions and pathological phenomena. Body twitching and waving limbs have a variety of causes. Often there is no danger in them.
Why the child jerks during sleep: what are the reasons
One can safely say without exaggeration that at least once in a life in a dream every person is twitching, starting with a baby. Toddlers start when they fall asleep or sleep, much more often than adults, and there are physiological reasons for this.
Moreover, they can be twitching and awake - for reasons that are incomprehensible to adults, but very real and almost always harmless reasons.
Pediatrician Yevgeny Komarovsky claims that twitching is common to all children, and this is the absolute norm.
In almost all such cases, nocturnal jerks pose no slightest danger to the sleeper, but pathological states can also manifest themselves in a similar way (in combination with other symptoms). And so to the child who shudders when he falls asleep, you need to take a closer look more closely, including during waking hours.
The child twitches in sleep at a temperature
To control the child's sleep is always necessary if he has a high temperature. Night twitching is often companions of the disease in children. However, they may indicate the development of convulsive syndrome, which is observed with a rapid increase in temperature to very high levels. This state is quite dangerous, and the more, the younger the crumb.
Convulsions at temperature precede severe brain damage. Consequently, critical temperatures should not be tolerated. And since it rises more and more quickly, usually at night, then flinching during sleep during an illness should force you to immediately take the temperature of the sleeper and give an antipyretic if necessary.
The child twitches, screams and cries in a dream
Babies are born with still not quite mature organs and systems, and the process of their formation continues for some time after birth. In particular, the organs of the gastrointestinal tract continue to develop. For this reason, they often have abdominal pain and discomfort, colic and bloating.
The baby feels them, including during sleep, and therefore can jerk, flinch and scream, cry and sometimes wake up. The itchiness of the skin as an allergic reaction, pain or intense salivation during teething, nightmares or fears can be a frequent cause of anxiety in children.
Such manifestations (shuddering and, possibly, crying) express the immaturity of the nervous system of the crumbs, the peculiar excitability peculiar to small ones. Even older children react with night twitches and weeping as a result of events and emotions experienced during their waking hours.
Sometimes a child can be impressed by a completely “trivial” case: the flight of a butterfly, a rainbow, lightning, the reflection of the sun in a puddle ... Both positive and negative emotions are realized in children's dreams, affect the subconscious and affect the psyche. The baby can experience stressful situations in a dream, and therefore he shudders and screams, cries.
For example, this can be observed after vaccination or contact with strangers, unpleasant crumbs of people.
Isolated cases should not cause anxiety to parents, but if the child began to twitch and cry in a dream regularly, then it is necessary to analyze what emotions he gets during the day: perhaps you are not paying enough attention to him, or are overly aggressive towards the baby, or there is still some reason you can influence. If you cannot find the “root of evil” and correct the situation yourself, then you should seek help from the experts.
It should be noted that the situation is quite normal when the child shudders during sleep from loud sounds or other external stimuli, and sometimes very much. Most likely, it is at this instant that his sleep is shallow, very sensitive - and the crumb reacts to all sorts of interference.
The child shudders when falling asleep.
As in adults, in children sleep consists of several phases, which alternate between each other, and the full cycle repeats itself several times during sleep, only in children does this change occur more often.
Основные фазы — медленный (крепкий и глубокий) и быстрый (поверхностный и чуткий) сон. Вторая фаза характеризуется повышенной мозговой деятельностью и сравнивается с состоянием бодрствования.
А потому, пребывая в этой фазе, ребенок может даже стонать, вскрикивать или хохотать во сне.
When changing phases, even an adult sometimes shudders with his whole body: it seems to him (or dream) a fall, it seems that he falls into the abyss or something like that.
Do you recognize? This phenomenon is called hypnagogic fright (or sleep start), and it is associated with a physiological defense reaction that “turns on” in response to a slowdown of all processes occurring in the body - and as a result, a sharp muscle spasm and trembling of the whole body occurs.
Children also have hypnagogic fear. Kids can even wake up from waving their limbs, and therefore pediatricians recommend swaddling newborns to make their sleep more restful.
Proponents of joint sleep believe that children are much less likely to shudder, get scared and wake up when they feel mom and the smell of her milk, and are advised in this way to solve many problems, including problems of night shudders.
In general, there is no reason to worry if, apart from this phenomenon, you are no longer alarmed. But in order not to miss any deviation, it is necessary to know when winches at night are not considered the norm.
What if the child is jerking in his sleep
So, in order for the child to sleep soundly and calmly, it is necessary to create all conditions for this.
It is mainly about proper care for children in accordance with their age, full feeding, health control, positive emotions during the day, compliance with the regime and exclusion of exciting activities in the evening, proper bedtime, etc. Physical and emotional over-excitement of a child often leads to nocturnal startles in children of very different ages.
The room where the child sleeps also needs to be prepared: the temperature regime, clean fresh cool air, the absence of bright flashes of light and sharp loud noises, hypoallergenic bed and mother's attention before going to bed - all that matters. Some children excite water procedures in the evening: they may have to be postponed in the morning.
All the factors mentioned can affect the fact that the baby does not sleep well at night.
Episodic, infrequently repeated wince at night should be taken calmly. If the baby woke up from this, then just go to him, kiss, caress. Often this is not required: the children immediately fall asleep on their own.
However, there are situations when you need to suspect something is wrong:
- the child shudders in a dream very often (about 10 or more times per night),
- every time he wakes up with fright,
- flinches are repeated every night (or quite often)
- the child twitches and screams regularly in his sleep,
- at the same time, anxiety, increased nervous irritability, pain or other signs of ill-being on children's health are observed,
- there are convulsions in the child.
In any of the cases described, it is necessary to contact at least a pediatrician. And he will direct you to a narrow specialist (most likely a neurologist) if the situation demands it.
Be careful with the statements that a shudder may indicate the development of rickets in a child, because it is possible that it is the excess of vitamin D that is manifested in this way, and not its deficiency. But the deficiency in jerking may be in calcium or gland (especially if the child jerks his legs in a dream), but the issue of additional medication is desirable to decide together with the pediatrician.
So, if a child jerks in a dream, then it is mainly necessary to analyze three nuances: the frequency of such episodes (their regularity), the rhythm of jerks (to exclude or identify convulsions) and the general condition of the baby. Most likely, it turns out that there are no serious reasons for anxiety.
Especially for nashidetki.net- Elena Semenova
Why does a baby start in a dream, a newborn twitches - what to do and why it happens
They say that if a baby smiles in a dream, then he dreams of angels. But if during rest he whimpers and shudders, he sees how his mom is taken from him. So the night anxious behavior of our children was explained by ancestors. But doctors about this have a different point of view. And not in all situations the causes are as harmless as a simple night plot.
The child in the first year of life spends more time in a dream.
And up to the age of three months of the newborn, this period takes about 17 hours. And this is considered the norm. At this time, the nerve cells of the brain mature. It's no wonder people say that sleep is the best doctor. Children sleeping well, better gain weight and are in a good mood.
What is dangerous is that the child shudders in a dream
Do not surprise experienced parents that the baby during the night rest produces a variety of sounds, gestures and twitches. But the parents of the firstborn very often get scared when they see similar things in their crumbs. Such excitement is not in vain. After all, if a newborn shudders at night, then this may be a symptom of some dysfunctions in the body.
Why the child shudders in a dream: possible deviations
If the movements of the child in a dream are rhythmic, similar to cramps and do not stop during the whole period of rest, then it is necessary to start experiencing. A bad sign is the situation when there is complete silence in the room, and the child is twitching, as if from harsh sounds. In such situations, the baby must be shown to experts as soon as possible. Doctors can diagnose such situations:
- disorders of the gastrointestinal tract. In newborns, the work of the gastrointestinal tract is just starting to get better. Because of this, they are often concerned about dysbacteriosis, disorders, bloating and colic. Unpleasant sensations that have appeared in the tummy of the newborn, make him shudder in a dream,
- syndrome of increased neuro-reflex excitability (SPNRV) appears as a result of damage to the nervous system. Most often, it is diagnosed in babies who are injured at birth. If the disease is not identified in time, in the future the child will be sloppy, restless and inattentive. One of the possible consequences is memory lapses,
- increased intracranial pressure. Sleep disturbance is a sign of intracranial hypertension (increased intracranial pressure). This disease may be a consequence of birth trauma. And another cause of the disease can be a brain tumor,
- lack of calcium. With a shortage of vitamin D, calcium and malnutrition, rickets can occur. This disease causes skeletal deformity. On the appearance of the body becomes distorted. In this case, the internal organs are shifted and problems arise with the nervous system,
- metabolic disease. In infancy, the nervous system of the baby only stabilizes. It is for this reason that the body is very difficult to cope with metabolic processes. It is necessary to take into account the possible imbalance between the motor activity of the child and the amount of food consumed. Violation of metabolism can lead to an excess or lack of certain substances in the body of a baby. This can lead to a number of diseases, symptoms of which are cramps and muscle spasms (anemia, spasmophilia, and others).
If a newborn shudders at night, then this may be a sign of serious deviations in health. Periodically, such movements indicate the pathology of the nervous system.
Primarily, the risk group includes children with birth trauma or premature births. The cause of deviations may be hypoxia.
If at night the child convulsively twitches, then it must be shown to a neurologist and a pediatrician.
What is necessary for the normal development of the newborn
At newborns polyphasic sleep is observed. During the fast phase, newborn dreams are seen, and in the deep period - not. The newborn must sleep soundly and calmly. Daytime rest is a must. Only in this way will the newborn develop normally and correctly. For this you need:
- before bedtime, bathe your baby in water with the addition of medicinal herbs that have a sedative effect,
- limit emotional stress
- in the daytime to be active,
- the temperature in the room should not exceed 22 degrees,
- to feed the baby properly
- as much as possible to stay in the fresh air.
Why else can a newborn shudder during sleep
There are some more reasons why a child is twitching in a dream. These reasons are not related to medical factors, but to the factors that surround the child.
- Sleep phase. Like adults, newborns have dreams. This means that they also have a REM sleep phase. During this period, the face of the newborn will tremble. He will pull his legs and arms, whimper, snort and breathe irregularly. Do not worry too much. Over time, the phase of REM sleep in newborns becomes shorter. If the baby wakes up more often 10 times per night and has a frightened appearance, then it is worth contacting a specialist.
- Reflex Moro is another cause of startling a newborn. At birth, the child already has reflexes, but this one is the most disturbing for parents. When in a dream a newborn shudders or feels that he is falling, he may scream and throw his hands to the side with a sharp jerk. This reflex is an integrated survival mechanism that is designed to protect a vulnerable baby. This is a primitive attempt to regain a palpable attempt at balance. On this occasion, do not worry.
- Pain sensations. When teething and colic, a newborn in a dream may start when he feels pain.
- Noise is another factor startling baby. A loud noise can wake and frighten a newborn. But there is no need to observe active silence in order for the baby to sleep peacefully. There are sounds familiar to the newborn - the sound of water, the voice of relatives, the rumble of a washing machine, rustles and others. Sometimes the sound of a falling object or a siren can be heard from the street. This is unusual for a newborn and can scare him. And even when it seems that the fear has already passed, the crumb can twitch due to the excitation of the nervous system.
- Air temperature. When the baby is stuffy, he can turn over and twitch in his sleep. Musty or stuffy air in a bedroom can provoke a baby’s discomfort and act on it annoyingly.
- Uncomfortable body position. A child can spin to find a position in which he will comfortably sleep.
- Sense of insecurity. Some experts advise in the first 3 months of children's life to create conditions that are close to intrauterine. This will give the newborn a sense of security.
The shudders in sleep, as described above, are considered normal and do not need treatment.
How to organize a healthy sleep for a newborn
There are several rules that should be followed in order for the baby to be able to sleep peacefully. For this you need:
- Before putting your baby to bed, air his room regularly. It is desirable to do this daily,
- even with strong frosts, it is necessary to open the window in the children's room for at least 5 minutes,
- in the children's bedroom, you must install a thermometer and ensure that the temperature does not exceed 21 degrees,
- Do not cover your baby with several warm blankets. It is better to wear warm quality pajamas made from natural fabrics on him,
- as far as possible, put the bed crumbs from the heaters and batteries,
- choose for the crumbs the most comfortable position (on the side, abdomen or back),
- if the baby did not change its position after 3 hours, then turn it over,
- all excess items from the crib need to be removed,
- activity during wakefulness needs to be controlled. Approximately 1.5 hours before bedtime, the child should conduct a calm activity.
- provide a relaxing bath before bed
- a light massage will help the baby to relax,
- exclude loud noises from the room at the time of falling asleep,
- intrauterine sensation will help create baby swaddling,
- You can apply a special case with a zipper. In it, the newborn will not frighten himself, twitching with his hands and feet.
Why does a newborn shudder and groan in his sleep - is it dangerous?
Small children often sleep very restlessly. The child shudders in his sleep and immediately wakes up, moans or turns. All this can be both the norm and testify about diseases. If the baby is sleeping restlessly, you need to find out the causes and, of course, eliminate them.
Causes of a child throwing up during sleep
The reasons for which the child in a dream starts, can be very different and depend on his age.
Why do newborns in a dream often vskidyvayutsya and wake up? This is normal for them, as their nervous and muscular systems continue to develop and adapt to new conditions. They are not able to calm down and immediately fall asleep.
Children sleep restlessly due to:
- strong impressions
- intestinal colic,
- disturbed daily routine,
Strong emotions, new impressions, joyful or sad, can lead to sleep disorders in children. A crumb can be anxious before some significant event in his life. At the same time, adults may not even guess what causes such strong emotions. For them, these are little things in life that are not worth paying attention to.
A child may moan in his sleep and often startle, even if his day was full of pleasant impressions. Children are especially nervous after visiting unusual places or meeting new people.
Sometimes children may start in a dream because they are worried about colic. In this case, they will bend the legs to the stomach.
It may also lead to a sleep disorder that the child went to bed later than usual. He remarked, did not fall asleep at his usual time, so he would toss and turn for a long time. And when, finally, he falls asleep, he will start and sob.
Usually restless sleep due to strong impressions, violation of the regime, there is only one night. And if the next day everything is as usual, then the dream will be normal.
A few days of restless sleep can be in various diseases. Even because of normal rhinitis, the baby can startle and groan in a dream. Since the nose, he can not breathe due to the fact that he laid, and his mouth to breathe hard.
Sometimes sleep disorders occur due to problems with the stomach or intestines. Starting can also be symptoms of severe neurological diseases.
It is important to know! If a child in a dream often shudders, moans, tosses, you should consult a doctor. This may be a symptom of the disease.
What to look for if the baby does not sleep well
If the child does not sleep well, you need to know why this happens. Did not new impressions precede this? Did he go to bed on time? Should pay attention to whether something bothers him.
If the baby has rhinitis, the child will breathe heavily and shudder due to the inability to take a full breath - How to cope with a cold.
With problems with the intestines, the baby may have diarrhea or constipation - then he groans in his sleep, twitches, presses his knees to his stomach. Such symptoms are also characteristic of various diseases of the stomach and intestines, including ascariasis. Therefore, the baby should definitely show the doctor.
If a baby in a dream often twitches, moans, shudders, and this goes on for several nights. This may be a symptom of a neurological disorder.
Only a doctor will be able to establish the cause of the restless sleep of the child. To say whether the start is related to age-related changes or is it a symptom of the disease? Therefore, it is better to consult a specialist.
If a newborn in a dream is raised
- Make sure that the sleep disorder is not due to the fact that he is worried about the tummy or some kind of ailments. If sleep problems are due to colic, and the baby is breastfed, the mother needs to reconsider her diet - the mom's menu is up to a year.
It is necessary to take the baby in his arms and calm him down so that he feels safe.
If restless sleep in older children
- Reconsider the diet. Very often the problem is that the child eats before bedtime, and this is not only harmful to the stomach, but also causes sleep disturbances. The kid can toss and turn in a dream and moan.
- Find out what worries the child. Maybe he is afraid of something.
In some cases, it is better to consult with a psychologist so that he can help you find the cause of your baby’s anxiety. Breaking sleep may be due to watching movies that are not intended for a children's audience. So pay attention to what the child is looking at.
Some children in a dream may start and moan because of their psychological characteristics. This can be a high level of anxiety, the child is overly emotional, impressionable.
In such cases, it is recommended to bathe the child before bedtime by adding lavender to the water. Drink soothing teas from lemon balm or valerian.
In order for children to sleep peacefully, they need to be taught to sleep and wake. Ребенок должен ложиться спать в одно и то же время, есть за 2 часа до ночного сна. Если он еще совсем маленький, стоит приучить его к самоуспокоению.
Для этого, когда малыш вздрогнет и застонет нужно произнести «тссс», или «шшшш». Услышав их, ребенок будет знать что взрослые рядом и можно не беспокоится. Also, the baby can be laid to sleep with your favorite toy, so that when he shakes and wakes up, he could feel it with his hand and calm down.
When laying the child to sleep, you need to perform a ritual. That is, you need to teach him that he immediately washes, changes clothes, fits into the bed. Then they read a book to him, tell a fairy tale or sing a lullaby.
It is important to know! To sleep a child was normal, you do not need to choose active games for the night. It is better to read a book to your child, tell an interesting story, just walk in the fresh air.
child year shudders in his sleep
The appearance of a child in the family always brings joy and happiness to young parents. They are now responsible for the care of the crumbs. Newly mom and dad quickly learn to change diapers, feed, bathe and perform other activities. But there are some points that may scare new parents. One of them is startling in a dream.
Waking up in a dream is most often the result of immaturity of the nervous system.
The duration of the phenomenon
Children can start to shudder from the beginning of the first month of life until the age of one.
Pediatricians claim that the phenomenon is quite normal and young parents should not panic and worry. But with the reasons why their little one shudders, it’s still worth finding out.
Flinching can occur even in newborns from a few weeks.
Causes of restless sleep in babies
The reasons why the baby twitches in a dream can be many. Very small babies can be disturbed by discomfort in the tummy in the form of colic. An older child shudders in a dream because of the unpleasant sensations that accompany teething.
Teething - one of the causes of anxiety in a dream
Neurological causes of jerks in children from year to year
Children who are already one year old may also sleep uneasily. In this case, the crumb twitches due to changes in nervous excitability that occur during the transition from one stage of sleep to another. As a result, the child can throw away arms and legs in a dream and thereby wake himself up.
Another reason why a baby jerks a year in a dream is the insufficient formation of the nervous system. In this case, its brake mechanisms still cannot function and stop involuntary muscle movements. But soon everything will come back to normal.
Poor feeling of crumbs
If a baby shudders a year during sleep, this may indicate his poor state of health. For example, a crumb can feel pain in the tummy, discomfort due to teething (for some, this process can continue even the field of two years of age).
Temperature and illness are the causes of flinching. But they can also cause cramps in the baby
Flinching can also occur when nasal congestion or fever. In the latter case, it is important not to confuse them with cramps!
The child may shudder in his sleep and due to excessive nervous excitability. Why is this happening? This is usually facilitated by too active games in the evening and at night.
In addition, the crumb can be hungry or, on the contrary, ate too tight. As practice shows, this can also be the reason that the baby starts.
When is it worth to see a doctor?
Despite the harmlessness of the phenomenon, there are still some situations when it becomes necessary to visit a pediatrician and a neurologist. These include cases in which a child shudders a year very often - at least 10 times during sleep.
In addition, it is necessary to closely monitor the health of the baby in cases where the baby (regardless of whether he is 2 months old or more than a year old) not only shudders in his sleep, but also looks very frightened or cries after that.
Baby scared and crying - a reason to visit a neurologist
What should parents do?
First of all - do not panic. If a child who is one year old is twitching in a dream - there is nothing terrible about it. Parents should remember why this is happening and, if possible, eliminate the factors that provoked the appearance of tremors.
If mom sees that the crumb shows anxiety and shudders - you should not immediately run to him and take him in your arms, as this will only aggravate the situation.
Why is that? The fact is that at this moment the baby is half asleep and can simply get scared. This concerns both children who are already one year old and those who are not even one month old yet.
Mom should calm the baby, but only if he wakes up
Instead, it is better to gently stroke the crumbs on the pen or head, to sit side by side until the moment you fall asleep. At the moment of startling you can poke around (“Shhhhh”) so that the baby calms down faster and his body does not wake up and goes into the phase of deep sleep.
Everyone knows that it is easier to avoid the appearance of a problem than to deal with it later. It is necessary to remember the main reasons why a baby jerks a year during sleep, and not allow them to appear.
- It is better to leave active games for the daytime, and in the evening to draw, pour clay or read fairy tales.
- As soon as possible, start developing the daily regimen so that the crumb does not have time to get overworked and his nervous system is not overwhelmed.
- Be sure to monitor the state of health of the baby and in case of what, start timely treatment.
- To improve the quality of sleep, you can bathe the baby in a decoction of useful soothing herbs: lemon balm, mint, lavender, and so on.
Use soothing decoctions for swimming
With such a problem, do not expect instant changes. Parents should be patient and just relive these moments. As soon as the nervous system of the crumb is finally formed, it will learn to switch from one phase of sleep to another quietly and without flinching. It is worth only a little wait and support your baby in all possible ways.