Breastfeeding is not just feeding, but a natural, sacred ritual that establishes a close emotional connection between mom and baby for life.
It is very important that this process brings joy and pleasure to both. But how difficult is it to focus on positive things when mommy sore nipples when feeding. The main reason for this is improper preparation and organization of the process. The factors that cause pain are many. Therefore, it may take time to identify and eliminate the source of discomfort that makes it difficult to enjoy the first months of motherhood.
Toddler incorrectly captures the chest.
The most well-known and common cause that leads to nipple microtraumas is that a child does not know how to grab a breast. It happens because that it was wrong to the food source. Breastfeeding - although a natural process, but still has its own rules. It is necessary that the young mommy did not complain that her nipples hurt after feeding.
How can I detect the wrong nipple grip:
- sliding while sucking
- HBV is accompanied by severe pain
- the kid makes strange sounds that are not like swallowing,
- lips crumbs are not stretched, but twisted,
- baby's mouth is not captured completely areola nipple,
- after feeding there is no sense of relief.
If you continue to feed the baby, regardless of the signs, soon there will be damage on the nipple in the form of bleeding cracks, which will lead to further infection.
Negative consequences can be avoided. To do this, you need to carefully listen to the obstetrician, who is still in the hospital telling you how to breastfeed the baby properly. If for some reason this information could not be obtained, the mother, grandmother, girlfriend, or, as a last resort, a specialist on GW who can be invited to the house, can always tell. Fundamental rules:
- the breast adheres to the fingers, set in the shape of the letter C, lie parallel to the lips of the child, the lower part at the level of the baby's chin, at the level of the nose - the nipple,
- the baby captures the fleshy part of the mammary gland with the lower jaw, the head is not fixed,
- when the crumb is already eating, there should be an areola above the upper lip.
It is important to know that in addition to pain, an incorrect seizure may lead to underfeeding, abnormal weight gain and digestive problems in a child.
How to adapt nipples to feeding
The only reason that nipples hurt while feeding is that they have not yet adapted to such increased attention from the baby. Discomfort occurs most often in the first 10-15 seconds, after which all the negative goes away, and mommy can safely enjoy feeding.
On the day after birth there may also be pain, which continues for about a month. If after this time the child is accustomed to the correct seizure of the breast, the pain sensations cease.
The most common reason for the adaptation is that the crumb during feeding feeds off the thin upper layer of the epithelium, with the result that the nerve endings become bare and the woman has pain.
Over time, Mommy's breasts adapt to the new role, and the nipples can withstand long feedings due to the fact that the skin becomes coarser.
Causes of nipple pain
Improper care. Before applying the baby to the breast, wash the nipples with soap in no case possible. Any soap, no matter how moisturizing and nourishing it is, dries the skin. Therefore, when the baby starts to suck on the breast, the delicate skin, dried by frequent washing, will easily crack. This happens due to the fact that during washing and periodic feeding, the protective film that covers the nursing mother’s nipple is erased. The film is not a skin, and it is difficult to notice it, but when it disappears, the nipples become sensitive to any external stimuli. Gynecologists recommend washing the breast no more than 2 times a day during normal showering.
Uncomfortable underwear. During lactation women can not wear brasthat squeeze the breasts and nipples with sutures. Wearing synthetics is unacceptable and can lead to an allergic reaction, which is certainly accompanied by itching. In this case, combing will cause injury and pain after breastfeeding.
Anomalies of development. A woman may have naturally flat nipples, and this will not allow the baby to capture the areola well. The process will go wrong, that will bring pain and discomfort to the nursing woman. On the nipple can also be big moles, folds from birth, which can also become a hindrance to the child.
Lactostasis. Improperly organized breastfeeding often leads to stagnant milk or lactostasis. Stagnation is always accompanied by severe pain and heaviness in the chest, the skin tightens and inflames, and infection can penetrate through micro cracks, leading to mastitis.
If the above factors affect the body, various nipple deformities appear.
- Scratches, abrasions and vesicles. First one of the nipple areas turns red, then, if the stimulus is not eliminated at this stage, abrasions form. Often such injuries occur when the nipple is incorrectly gripped in the lower part of the chest, when the baby rubs the skin on the lips or tongue.
Bubbles and abrasions can appear if the mother carelessly and roughly pulls the baby away from the breast due to pain and sensitivity. At the same time, the baby, which is not as weak as it seems, squeezes its gums even more, causing damage. If mommy doesn't have the strength to endure the pain during feeding, doctors recommend inserting a finger in the corner of the baby’s mouth to loosen the vacuum, and thereby eliminate pain.
- Cracks. This form of injury is a neglected form of abrasions, inflammation. There are cracks on the tip, at the base, on the side of the nipple. It looks like cracked skin, but when fed or pressed, it causes a sharp pain. From the wound, blood, and often blood is extracted, so there is a risk of catching an infection.
With these types of damage to the woman necessarily need to consult a doctor, who will conduct a survey, determine the severity of the disease and prescribe the necessary treatment. The specialist may also recommend not to breastfeed the baby for some time, but to express the milk. Immediately after recovery, Mommy will need to teach the baby to breastfeed again, this time observing all the precautions.
- Vasospasm. Such a discomfort is expressed by acute pain after feeding, while the nipple whitens. Unpleasant sensations continue for several minutes, after which the nipple acquires the same color, and the pain passes into the pulsating discharge.
When a woman sore nipples when feeding, it does not mean that it is the baby to blame. Often the cause can be external stimuli, such as unhealthy diet, cheap underwear or its complete absence, mechanical injury. To somehow alleviate the symptoms immediately after feeding can be applied to the chest warmer, warm towel or sock with warm salt. From the diet of nursing moms need to completely eliminate caffeine, smoked foods and other tasty foods that harm the skin.
How to eliminate discomfort
If nipples hurt while feeding, you should definitely consult an experienced specialist. If it so happens that there is no confidence in the doctors, or there is simply no opportunity to visit the mammologist's office in the near future, you need to do some manipulations yourself.
To reduce inflammation and pain in the nipples:
- feeding on sore nipples not contraindicated, in the end, there are special pads on the chest, which will allow the child not to touch his lips to the chest. In any case, lactation with cracks and inflammation causes terrible pain, but even in this state, it is recommended to feed the baby 1-2 times in 2 hours. The fact is that if the baby eats often, his reflexes will be much weaker, and he will no longer greedily grab the nipple during each procedure. Such a measure will allow to get rid of the situation when nipples hurt while feeding, in just a few days,
- air baths - the most inexpensive and one of the most effective methods for any inflammation of the skin, be it a woman, a man, or a child's ass. Therefore, experts recommend that nursing mothers often be without clothes. Of course, we are talking about purely home conditions, adjusted for clothes made from natural fabrics. Such a measure will allow the nipples not to get wet after GW. Immediately after feeding, you can slightly rinse the nipple with clean water without soap and leave to dry under air flow,
- if breast damage is severeIt is strongly not recommended to apply the child. Milk with the need to decant up to 7 times a day. If this is not done, it will disappear and cause severe inflammation and temperature. Milk can be decanted both manually and with the help of special devices that can be purchased at the pharmacy,
- crack or abrasion treatment with the most neglected cases can last up to 1 week. During this period, it is worthwhile to feed the baby with a healthy breast, if there is one. If the cracks and pain hit both breasts, you need to feed the baby from the bottle. As soon as mommy is cured, the bottle should be set aside and again give the baby a breast,
- always help relieve pain special silicone lining that should be on hand. Of course, with their help, the child will not learn how to properly capture the nipple, besides, most of the milk will remain inside. This method, like any other, has its pros and cons.
Treatment of abrasions and cracks in the nipples
Specialists in HB most often recommend to apply to folk remedies or special creams and gels. Ointment in this case is better not to use, since its base may aggravate the situation.
The most suitable remedies for pain in the nipples:
- in case of cracks, doctors recommend Solcoseryl gel, which is based on cow blood for rapid tissue regeneration. Nipples need to smear immediately after feeding and not flush. The gel should remain on the skin until completely absorbed. When buying should pay attention to the fact that the drug exists in the form of a gel and cream. Gel - for bleeding or weeping wounds, and cream - for dry,
- Creams "Purelan", "Bepantin" and "Actovegin" are also considered to be common remedies for inflammation and irritation of the skin. The drug is applied to the skin with a thin layer until completely absorbed. They are used only for abrasions and small cracks, and for bursting bubbles it is worth taking a gel-based tool,
- In addition to popular products, there are also natural sea-buckthorn or wheat-based oils containing vitamin A. Such products are used for generations, and their effectiveness has been proven by time. After applying such a cream or oil, wait 10-15 minutes, then blot the residue with a soft cloth or napkin. Sea buckthorn and wheat moisturize the skin, and lavender oil contributes to its regeneration. You can even make yourself a tool from natural ingredients by mixing sea buckthorn oil, lavender and wheat,
- when mom's nipples hurt while feeding, compresses or creams with lanolin can ease the pain.
Complication of thrush
If all funds are sorted out, and nothing helps for more than a week, you should seriously think about a fungal infection or thrush.
At the same time, the nipples and areolas get a bright inflamed color, the pain is manifested not only when feeding, but also between them, itching occurs. Milkmaid mother could infect the baby. In most cases, this is what happens. Infection could provoke:
- stressful situations
- weakening the body
- finding the chest in conditions of high humidity.
In such a situation, both mother and child will have to be treated.
At the first signs of nipple inflammation, it is imperative to consult a specialist and get rid of the problem. Few mothers did not feel for themselves all the side effects of the first months of motherhood. But how small and insignificant these inconveniences and pains seem when a small copy of mom and dad snuffles at his very heart.
Adaptation is a natural cause. The most unpleasant sensations appear in the first few seconds after the baby captures the breast. It occurs at the first application, lasts up to a month. After the specified time, the pain stops, provided that the baby takes the breast correctly (grabs the nipple).
The origin of pain is natural. A newborn sucking damages a thin layer of the epithelium of the nipples, the nerve endings become bare, pain appears. After the time the skin coarsens, becomes able to withstand long-term feeding.
The most common cause of microtraumas appearing on the nipples is the wrong technique. Feeding is painful, if the wrong posture is chosen, the baby is incorrectly attached to the chest. A bad nipple grip is accompanied by:
- painful sensations when feeding,
- sliding breasts while sucking
- tuck the child's lips while sucking (must be stretched)
- incomplete seizure of the oral cavity areola nipple.
If you do not eliminate these violations, cracks can form - painful sores with blood. There is a risk of infection.
For proper attachment it is necessary to master the technique that ensures sufficient grip on the nipple.
Incorrectly taken breasts cause discomfort to the mother and baby.
Appeared cracks in the nipples cause burning pain nursing mommy. Cracks - a defect that manifests itself in a violation of the integral structure of the skin. Accompanied by a sensation of acute pain. It causes severe suffering to the woman, overshadowing the joy of feeding.
Cracks are consequences:
- violations of the technique of application,
- wrong posture when feeding,
- diseases (fungal or bacterial),
- improper care (rarely change the pads on the chest, nipple treatment with drying means, frequent washing with soap),
- careless release from the nipple baby’s mouth,
Improper use of the breast pump.
Under the influence of several factors, cracks may appear, but one reason is enough. The appearance of cracks, long healing is a reason to consult a specialist. There is a risk of serious illness, such as thrush.
You can often hear the saying that cracks appear from a long time feeding the baby. This is not true. With proper attachment, compliance with the rules of breast care such problems do not arise.
These reasons are less common, but they should not fall out of sight of mom:
- Anomaly nipples. With flat nipples, the baby is unable to fully capture them. Improper sucking causes pain. The presence of growths, folds becomes a hindrance to successful feeding.
- Physiological features of the child (short bridle), anatomy of the mouth, the habit of taking the nipple from the bottle, pacifier.
- Non-compliance with the rules of care. It is not recommended to wash the nipples before each application. Drying of the skin occurs, loss of elasticity when erasing the protective layer. It is recommended to wash the mammary glands up to two times a day.
- Improper underwear. The bra should not have seams, squeezing and rubbing the nipples. Synthetic underwear can cause allergies, itching, redness. Insufficient air circulation due to synthetic laundry leads to excessive sweating and irritation.
- Wipe the teats with a rough towel.
- The occurrence of lactostasis. Penetration of infection through microcracks. They cause mastitis.
Do you stop feeding when nipples are sore?
A nursing mother knows: only she is able to provide her baby with the most valuable and important nutrition. Preserving lactation - the key to the health of the baby.
Sore nipples are a quick fix. For successful elimination, you first need to establish why nipples hurt during feeding. If necessary, seek help from a specialist.
How to ease the pain?
If nipples hurt when feeding, what to do to relieve pain?
Frequent attachment at intervals of two hours. A well-fed child does not capture a breast with strong greed. This prevents injuries to the tender skin of the nipple.
Try to open the chest more often to dry in the air. Abandon tight bras, pads for the chest, do not use synthetic materials. These measures will prevent the aging of the breast.
After feeding, leave the breast to dry on its own without wiping.
In case of severe damage at the time to stop the attachment to the breast, express the milk at intervals of feeding. Do not use a breast pump; you must do it manually.
Use lining (silicone). This is a temporary measure. At elimination of a problem it is necessary to refuse them.
The treatment period lasts from days to three. If one of the breasts is not damaged, continue to feed healthy.
Folk remedies are no less effective if the problem is not too bad (no bacterial disease):
- The easiest way to lubricate the nipples with milk. Let them dry on their own.
- Effective use of oils with vitamin A, wheat germ oil, sea buckthorn. They moisturize the skin. Лавандовое и чайное способствуют процессам регенерации кожи.
- Компрессы из средств с ланолином.
- Lubrication with fresh butter, goose, duck fat.
- Rubbing nipples with apple juice, carrots.
- Compress from apple pulp juice with the addition of any animal fat, including butter. Mix in equal parts, apply a compress at night.
- Healing properties have cabbage leaves, burdock.
- Hypericum oil Pour the packaging of dry matter in a jar, pour sunflower oil or olives. Place in a container with cold water, heat and sterilize for about half an hour. Stand a few days. Use for wiping, compresses.
- Dry buds of poplar (black) to grind into powder. 15 g mixed with butter (cream). Lubricate the nipples. Keep no more than a week.
- Compresses from fresh grated beets.
Folk remedies are used to establish the exact cause of the appearance of cracks, excluding the probability of a bacterial disease.
To prevent nipple cracks, it is necessary to take measures even before the birth of a child:
During pregnancy, periodically rub the breast after a shower with a towel so that the nipples are a little rough.
- During pregnancy, periodically rub the breast after a shower with a towel so that the nipples are a little rough.
- Lubricate the cream to avoid drying out of the skin.
- To wear underwear exclusively from natural fabrics, not compressing the chest.
- Do not wash your breasts with soap before feeding.
- Do not wipe with alcohol.
- Do not use wet wipes to wipe the breast.
When using gaskets to choose those of them that are made from natural components, are able to pass air well.
Following simple rules will help prevent unwanted symptoms.
Since the moment of pregnancy, a close relationship has been established between mother and child. After birth, the bond is strengthened in the process of feeding. Nothing should darken this wonderful time. Compliance with simple rules will ensure a good, painless lactation.
The nipple and its role in feeding the baby
Breast nipple in women who have not given birth is usually cone-shaped in shape, and in giving birth, it takes the form of a cylinder. The nipple itself is surrounded by a patch of pigmented skin - this isola. The skin of the nipple is covered with small "wrinkles", and the top - small holes (or milky pores), they are the ends of the milk ducts. The ducts in diameter do not exceed 2.3 mm, they often merge with each other, and therefore the milky pores are much smaller than the ducts.
Stimulating the nipple with sucking movements, the baby receives milk, which is discharged from the ducts through the milky pores. Typically, nipples hurt some mothers only in the first few days from the start of feeding, and this is due to unprepared breasts for lactation and increased sensitivity of the nerve receptors located in this part of the breast. But sometimes nipples can hurt for a long time, and this pain can cause a young mother to be disappointed in such a widely promoted breastfeeding.
Cracked nipples when breastfeeding
The most common cause of pain while breastfeeding is cracked nipples. Deep cracks are visible to the naked eye, and resemble scratches. They hurt when touched, when rubbed on a bra, and the process of sucking a baby’s breast delivers mom real flour! Meanwhile, the mother herself is often to blame for the occurrence of cracks, or rather her inattention or lack of knowledge about the feeding mechanism. Causes of cracking and nipple pain:
- wrong grip on the nipple.
- violation of pumping and feeding equipment.
- inadequate breast care.
- increased nipple sensitivity.
Nipple cracks are not a contraindication to breastfeeding.
Cracks in the nipples are not a contraindication to breastfeeding, but if the pain is unbearable, you can temporarily stop breastfeeding, using strained milk to feed the crumbs or resort to using a unique device - the supplemental feeding system (SNS).
Sore nipples when breastfeeding: what to do?
Adjusting the feeding technique is the first measure to prevent nipple cracks. In order for the baby to properly capture the nipple, it is important to adopt the correct posture when feeding. The head of the baby, the neck and his back must be on the same line, the nipple is opposite the mouth. It is necessary to ensure that the child captures not only the nipple, but also the areola evenly from all sides. During feeding, it is unacceptable to drastically take away the baby’s chest, it should be done delicately, ideally - wait until he let go of the nipple. But if the mother has irregularly shaped nipples, it is difficult for the baby to capture them correctly. In this case, special pads on the nipples may be useful.
You should not be zealous hygienic procedures - the abundance of soap dries the skin, and still kills the beneficial microflora that lives on the nipples and helps to form the digestion of the crumbs. It is enough to take a shower once a day and rinse the breast as needed after feeding.
And if you use a breast pump for pumping, you can not turn it on at full capacity - it hurts the nipples!
Ointment helps to heal cracks faster:
In each pharmacy, you can buy special cosmetic lines for nursing mothers - these creams and oils are hypoallergenic and very effective.
All ointments and creams are applied to the nipples after feeding, and in front of him you need to rinse the nipples! Do not use brilliant green and alcohol-containing liquids to treat cracks - it dries and injures delicate skin even more!
Proper breast care and knowledge of feeding techniques are the best measures to prevent nipple cracks and pain.
For these reasons, with certain types of pain while feeding you can successfully cope at home. It is necessary to control the correctness of the nipple capture by the child. In his mouth should be the whole areola, and the lips should not be very tense.
If the child has incorrectly captured the nipple, it is necessary to carefully stop feeding and offer him the opportunity to intercept, directing the breast with his hand. There is no need to take the child’s chest until it is fully saturated. In the opposite case, the baby will try to keep the nipple between the gums, which can cause discomfort.
An increase in the frequency of attachment of the child to the breast will help to get rid of the discomfort. The baby will perform the sucking movements less intensely. At the same time, mothers will have less of a feeling of overcrowding in the mammary glands.
If the problem arises due to the increased sensitivity of the skin, then immediately before feeding it will be useful to massage the nipples with your fingers.
If the pain during feeding cannot be tolerated, then you should purchase special linings. This technique will reduce discomfort and promotes the fastest healing of microcracks.
Treatment of pain in nursing
When the discomfort is triggered by cracks in the nipples, you can not do without medication. Doctors recommend creams and ointments that have a healing effect. Highly effective means of D-panthenol in the composition, for example, Bepanten.
The ointment is applied directly to the nipple. Rinse off before feeding is not necessary. As an additional moisturizer, you can use sea buckthorn oil and vitamin A. These substances should be applied for half an hour and removed with a napkin.
The pains provoked by the development of the candida fungus should also not be ignored.
Candidiasis can spread to the mucous membranes of the child’s mouth. The doctor prescribes a woman local antifungal drugs. Nistatin or Clotrimazole ointment has proven itself well. The child should be shown to the pediatrician.
The occurrence of severe pain in the nipples when feeding should alert the woman.
Through the abrasions and cracks easily penetrates the infection.
As a result, an inflammatory process - mastitis - develops in the gland tissues.
In severe cases, the woman's condition worsens due to severe intoxication of the body. This disease requires medical assistance. The doctor will prescribe a course of antibiotics to the woman, and breastfeeding will have to stop, as milk contains bacteria.
Another condition is lactostasis. Rare and irregular attachments of the child to the breast, hypothermia, and tight clothing provoke milk stagnation in the breast.
Symptoms of lactostasis in the initial stages are eliminated by increasing the frequency of feeding. If this measure is not effective, a certain amount of milk is decanted. In this case, manual pumping should be done strictly before giving the baby a breast.
If the pain is too strong, then paracetamol-based painkillers will help. Before taking it is necessary to consult a doctor. You can temporarily switch to feeding your child with expressed milk from a pipette or spoon. If the problem is not addressed, a woman should seek help from a breastfeeding counselor.
Soreness during lactation
Painful sensations in the nipples arise not only in the process of feeding, but also after it.
There can be several reasons:
- cracks on sensitive skin,
- wrong grip of a child
- inflammatory processes.
Sometimes nipples hurt after feeding as a result of vasospasm. This is a rare condition, accompanied by whitening of the nipple and pulsating pain. A vasospasm arises when the nerve is close to the nipple. The thrush can be a factor provoking its development.
If you experience pain after feeding, you should not only eliminate the symptoms, but also treat the cause. The doctor after examination will select the appropriate drugs.
So that the lactation process is not painful, a woman should start preparing for breastfeeding in advance.
Many activities are relevant already during pregnancy:
- A woman should visit a breastfeeding counselor in advance and ask all your questions. Study the special literature.
- A good effect gives a massage. You can make light rotating movements. The duration of the process should be monitored to avoid uterine tone.
- You can rub your chest with a cotton towel. This procedure will reduce the sensitivity.
An important role is played by a psychological attitude. With proper training and sufficient theoretical knowledge, the lactation process will be painless. Breast milk is the best food for the baby, so the transition to artificial feeding is an extreme measure for pain.