In newborns, the phenomenon of umbilical hernia is quite common. This pathology develops due to the fact that the umbilical ring is underdeveloped or too weak. Bandage for newborns from umbilical hernia is an excellent solution to this problem. Then we will talk about what you should pay attention to when choosing an umbilical band, as well as how and how much it should be worn.
How and when does an umbilical hernia appear?
The navel of a newborn baby is tied immediately after birth, but in the womb the navel hole is much wider in diameter. This is due to the characteristics of the blood supply, as well as the space that is necessary for the development of gastrointestinal organs. The hole that appeared after the birth of the baby clogged and forms a small abdominal "tail" that holds the organs inside, that is, does not allow them to move and bulge. In the case when the baby is born earlier than the prescribed time or he has a genetic failure associated with tissue binding, a hernia may appear from the scar. Often, an umbilical hernia can occur as a result of tension in the abdominal muscles, flatulence, crying or cough syndrome.
The bandage from the umbilical hernia for newborns looks like a belt made only from natural fabrics. In its center is located the applicator, which puts pressure on the umbilical ring and prevents further protrusion of the organ.
The umbilical hernia bandage for newborns is a temporary measure, since the hernia rarely resolves itself without surgery.
Wearing a corset is allowed from 3-4 weeks old baby - it takes so much time for the healing of the umbilical hole.
Parents need to follow some rules:
- Before you put on a bandage, you need to slightly press on the hernia, thus, setting it back. Only then from the wearing of a bandage for newborns from umbilical hernia can you see a positive result.
- Corset should be tightly secured. If this cannot be done, you should put a piece of disinfected tissue.
- 6 times a day to take off a belt for rest for half an hour.
The question of how much to wear a bandage for umbilical hernia, there is no definite answer. It is recommended for infants to carry a hernia until the full reduction, it usually happens by the age of three.
After surgery, the umbilical band is worn for two or three months. It is important to start wearing it immediately after surgery. You can not wear a belt on the open scar. Before you put on a bandage, you must apply a layer of sterile gauze on the postoperative suture. During the day it is necessary to remove the bandage several times and change the bandage. Dressings are done until the suture is removed - usually from 7 to 10 days. Remove the stitches should be a doctor in the clinic, you can not do it yourself.
Umbilical hernia: operation or bandage?
Doctors ambiguously assess the benefits of wearing an umbilical cord. Most say that it is useful and promotes recovery, while others argue that the bandage after the umbilical hernia is not needed. Tugging a belt can make things worse. The belt can cause discomfort in the baby, he just will be unpleasant. Statistics takes its toll: in most cases, the corset does not cause inconvenience to the child.
In more complex cases, when the protrusion becomes impossible to correct, an operation is necessary.
It is also possible to use a special group of exercises that will help get rid of a hernia. They are aimed at strengthening the abdominal muscles. The cost of a special corset is quite high, so sometimes parents try to rectify the situation on their own. However, if they nevertheless decided to put a bandage on the baby, then it is important to remember that it is impossible to do this earlier than the child will be one month old. Until that time, you can perform the following actions:
- Before feeding the baby should be laid on the belly for 15-20 minutes.
- Make it move. This can be done by applying to the feet of the palms. Reflexively, the baby will begin to contract the muscles of the legs, thereby moving his body.
- Massage the umbilical zone with soft stroking movements, pinching the stomach with the other hand.
- Follow the tips above and before bathing.
Indications for wearing
The bandage is shown in the following cases:
- Bandage after the operation of the umbilical hernia. This corset prevents the re-development of the hernia and any other postoperative complications, as well as relieves pain.
- Doctors recommend that premature babies wear a bandage to prevent the appearance of an umbilical hernia.
- It is also recommended to wear the umbilical brace for children with intestinal disorders, with frequent distention and constipation.
In order to avoid any complications and consequences when wearing the umbilical band, you must first familiarize yourself with all the contraindications. Contraindications for wearing a bandage with umbilical hernia are:
- Open wounds on the body of the baby in the part where the bandage should be in contact with the skin. It also includes not fully lingering wound after the umbilical cord disappeared.
- Diseases of the heart and lungs, as well as pathologies of other internal organs.
- Allergy and other dermatological pathologies.
- Nervous system disorder.
- If the umbilical ring has narrowed to such an extent that only surgical intervention can return to the site of the bulging organs, it is considered inappropriate to wear the umbilical band in this case.
How to choose the umbilical cord?
It is desirable that the attending physician helped in the choice of the umbilical cord. It is very important that the material from which the belt is made is made of hypoallergenic fabric and is well absorbed moisture. No less important is what the insert is made of, the level of rigidity of the band and how it fits to the body.
How to wear an umbilical band?
In order for a bandage to be beneficial, it is necessary to observe certain rules for wearing it, namely:
- Before you fix the belt, you need to carefully correct the hernia. It is impossible to apply force and pressure when setting up a hernia.
- Directly on the hernia should only fall belt applicator.
- After the bandage is worn, it is necessary to make sure that when wearing it the baby does not experience any discomfort, usually if this happens, the child can begin to be capricious and become whiny.
Parents who used the umbilical band for hernia in children, note its positive qualities, namely: reliability, ease of use, as well as the ability to reduce the bulges in the navel.
It is also noted that the corset rubs the skin of the child, and therefore it is recommended to wear it on underwear and not to wear for a long time. That is, periodically it needs to be removed and give the skin a little rest.
The bandage for umbilical hernia has proven its effectiveness repeatedly. This device has helped many children. In terms of utility, it is in no way inferior to gymnastics and massage. If there is a hernia there is a risk of it being pinched, and this already has serious consequences, an emergency operation may be necessary, because necrosis will begin in the tissues of the squeezed bowel. As in any other actions related to the health of the baby, you must obtain prior permission from the pediatrician, because the child’s future depends on it.
Does the bandage need babies
Hernia navel does not bother the child. Externally, the pathology is manifested in the formation of protrusion in the umbilical region, which increases with crying, coughing, bowel movements of the infant. To prevent complications and exclude further growth of the hernia, doctors recommend using a special belt, which has a local effect on the protrusion. The device stimulates an increase in muscle activity, a way to mild irritation of the abdomen. The action of the bandage in combination with massage and other methods of therapy ensures the strengthening and fouling of the umbilical ring, which is an important condition for the treatment of pathology.
The bandage for babies is needed from the progression of an umbilical hernia. You can buy it in a pharmacy. The product is a soft elastic belt, pleasant to the touch. The device consists of the belt itself, the hernial limiter - the pilot (plate, sewn into the fabric) and fastenings. The plate is designed to provide compression on the umbilical protrusion. Due to this, it is possible to prevent the loss of internal organs. The fasteners of the corset can be in the form of velcro, rivets, belts.
For the manufacture of children's bandages manufacturers use hypoallergenic fabrics. The material absorbs moisture well, passes air, which prevents the appearance of diaper rash. When wearing the product in infants does not develop hemorrhage. Repeated washing is allowed, which extends the shelf life of the bandage up to 2 years.
It is recommended to buy the product in pharmacies. It is important to make sure that there is a license and quality certificates for the goods.
After the diagnosis, the doctor prescribes the child to wear a bandage. Proper use of the device helps to achieve the following goals:
- Prevention of infringement.
- Acceleration of scarring of the connective tissue of the umbilical ring.
- The exception is the further development of hernia.
- Prevention of pathology in premature babies.
- Prevention of hernia formation in babies suffering from constipation and other digestive disorders.
To achieve the desired result is possible only with the correct choice of devices, the correct size of the belt. Otherwise, the therapeutic effect is absent, the child’s condition worsens.
How to choose a quality product
When choosing a device, you should strictly follow certain rules. This will help avoid the acquisition of low-quality products, eliminate the development of complications in the child. Orlett treatment products are not divided into male and female, but have some differences. The difference lies in the width of the belt and the diameter of the pelote - plate limiter. The choice of these criteria should be entrusted to a doctor. Parents should pay attention to the following device specifications:
- The fabric from which the belt is made must be soft, hypoallergenic, and air is good to pass. You can determine this by studying the product instructions.
- Internal seams of the product are hidden, made carefully. Thanks to this, it is possible to prevent rubbing of the baby’s delicate skin. Ideally, the baby should not feel an additional burden.
- When buying, you need to have a good look at the product, fasten and fasten fastenings several times, make sure that they do not diverge.
- Products must contain a license and certificates of quality.
- When buying a belt from unknown companies, it is recommended to read reviews about the manufacturer.
Children grow fast. In order for the belt not to become small after a few weeks, it is recommended to give preference to the product with velcro. This will allow you to adjust the size depending on the growth of the baby.
How to wear and how to wear the product
Operation of the device does not require special skills. Wear a bandage should be based on the following recommendations:
- Before putting on the belt of the child lay on the tummy. The procedure promotes the discharge of gases.
- Before use, you must ensure that there is no allergy and diaper rash on the baby’s skin. The lumbar region and tummy should be dry, clean.
- The belt is spread on a table or any other solid surface, the child is placed on top, back down.
- The hernia before fastening is reset, making sure that the pilot covers the navel.
- The fasteners fasten so that the belt fits tightly over the stomach, the child does not feel any discomfort.
Wearing time is determined by the doctor. Usually this period is no more than 12 -16 hours a day. At night, the belt is recommended to remove.
With the development of allergies, irritation, redness of the dermis, it is necessary to remove the bandage, to consult with your doctor.
The use of a bandage at home for infants is allowed for a certain period. If the hernia hole does not clog, the operation is performed. The method and time of surgical intervention is determined by the doctor, taking into account the characteristics of the course of the disease.
The bandage is a device of anti-allergenic natural materials in the form of wide ribbons. To the touch the bandage is soft, elastic, does not bring discomfort to the child when using. The wall of the soft corset is equipped with a round pilot - a special insert due to which the hernial protrusion is securely fixed. Children's universal bandages orlett and fosta are made of environmentally friendly materials, do not cause skin irritation, allergic reactions.
Using the device allows to obtain the following results:
- easy compression of hernial protrusion,
- prevention of complications
- the exclusion of further education growth,
- stimulation of the overgrowth of the umbilical ring,
- muscle strengthening.
To achieve the desired effect, it is important to properly use the device, adhering to the recommendations of the doctor.
Indications and contraindications
The belt is used if the child of the belt suffers from a congenital or acquired umbilical hernia when surgical intervention is impossible due to age or any other reasons.
- skin diseases
- unstressed navel after childbirth,
- the development of hernia complications,
- diseases of internal organs
- allergic reaction to tissue fixtures.
The need to use the device is a controversial issue among doctors. Some experts do not recommend bandage, citing the following considerations:
- Umbilical hernias in newborns often pass on their own.
- The disease does not bring the child discomfort, rarely accompanied by complications.
- The use of massage and physiotherapy provides the necessary therapeutic effect without the use of a belt.
The decision on the need to use a bandage is made by the attending physician. If the doctor recommends using a belt, you should follow the instructions of the pediatrician.
Types of devices
In medical practice, several types of devices are used to fix umbilical hernia in children. After the diagnosis, the child is prescribed a bandage in the form of an elastic belt or a patch.
The bandage for a child is a belt from umbilical hernia on the clasps or velcro that holds the abdominal organs within anatomical localization. At operation the belt can be washed, the term of use of the device makes up to 12 months. The device rarely causes allergies, as it is made from natural materials. Judging by the parents, the skin of the child under the bandage belt is well ventilated, does not sweat.
The plaster is a sticky tape, which is placed in the area of the protrusion to fix the hernia. The patch is applied once, replacing it with a new one. The disadvantage of this tool is that the skin does not breathe, sweats, often redness and irritation develop. The advantage is the relatively low price at which the patch is sold in a pharmacy.
None of the devices can not be used independently, without the appointment of a doctor. Wrong choice and use of a bandage can cause irreparable harm to the baby.
Advantages and disadvantages of bandage
The advantages of a child belt for fixation of hernia include:
- fixing the abdomen with the device prevents the development of complications, reduces intrauterine pressure,
- only hypoallergenic materials are used for production,
- bandage is easy to use,
- the belt does not cause discomfort to the child.
Among the shortcomings are:
- expensive fixture
- sometimes during operation the belt crawls,
- some children do not tolerate the presence of devices on the body,
- sometimes sweats, diaper rash develops.
Some parents use improvised means for fixing protrusion in children. These include ordinary patches, coin and some other devices. Such treatment is often ineffective, causes skin irritation in newborns, discomfort and other problems. To exclude such situations, you should use only medical devices prescribed by a doctor.
How to wear a belt
Wear anti-sash belt should, adhering to certain rules:
- The tummy of the child should be clean, without rashes and diaper rash.
- The bandage is laid out on the table, the child is put on top, back down.
- Hernial protrusion gently set, fix the navel area limiter.
- The belt is tightened so that it tightly fits the tummy, but does not squeeze it. This gives the child maximum comfort.
The umbilical hernia bandage is put on in the morning. At night, the device is recommended to remove. При появлении сыпи, покраснения, опрелости от пояса на некоторое время отказываются.
Какую модель лучше выбрать
Действие бандажей различных фасонов одинаковое. Modern companies provide a wide range of devices of various tailoring. Among them are wide, narrow belts. Devices with Velcro, straps, clasps. Choose the best option for the child to help the doctor. The most comfortable are wide belts with clamps in the form of stickies. The size of the limiter is selected in accordance with the diameter of the protrusion of the baby.
Competent choice of the device and its correct use ensures the achievement of the desired therapeutic result, contributes to the overgrowth of the hernial ring, prevents complications.
What is an umbilical band and how does it work?
To understand how the bandage from the umbilical hernia works, one should understand the features and causes of the pathological protrusion. With intrauterine development, the umbilical ring in the fetus is relatively wide — such dimensions are required for normal nutrition and space for growing intestinal loops. After birth, the baby's umbilical cord gradually heals and at the same time the peritoneum forms. If the musculature develops at an inadequate pace, a bulge occurs at the site of the ring - part of the intestine falls out into the hole.
When a hernia is found in newborns, surgeons, as a rule, take a waiting position. Parents are recommended to provide the infant with sufficient physical activity and to stimulate the strengthening of the press with stroking and laying out on the tummy. If necessary, doctors prescribe a course of special massage to strengthen the abdominal wall. In most cases, such measures are sufficient for the natural correction of pathology.
With a strong protrusion, the surgeon recommends an umbilical hernia bandage. What is this device?
A bandage is a device specially designed to correct an umbilical hernia. It is an elastic belt made of breathable material and having a sealed stopper, which is applied directly to the problem area. The bandage does not allow the protrusion to increase even more when the baby’s tummy is tense (for example, when he cries, farts, or diligently puts pressure on constipation).
The use of the device is shown not only for severely protruding hernias, but also is prescribed as a prevention of their formation in weakened newborns. How does the compression bandage:
- provides light pressure on the formed hernia, fixing it,
- does not allow the umbilical hernia to bulge harder when stressed,
- a wide sheet additionally stimulates the muscles of the peritoneum, and thus stimulates its strengthening,
- accelerates the rate of overgrowth of the umbilical canal in newborns.
Types of children's bandages
There are several types of children's bandages on pharmacy counters that help babies with hernia:
- postoperative are elastic wide canvases and are designed to tighten and reduce pain after surgery,
- lumbosacral fix the spine after injury,
- hernia created specifically for fixing protrusions and strengthen the peritoneum.
In fact, all three types of devices compressively act on the protrusion and, due to the pressure on the muscles of the tummy of the baby, strengthen the muscles and accelerate the accretion of the umbilical ring. All belts, designed specifically to eliminate common pathology in infants, provide comfort for the baby while wearing a bandage and active stimulation of the desired zones of the peritoneum.
The pharmacy can offer another relatively inexpensive device, also designed for the treatment of umbilical hernia. This is a special patch. Disposable adhesive tapes effectively fix the protrusion and do not allow it to increase during moments of tension in the infant. However, the patches do not strengthen the peritoneum, because they do not act on compression on the necessary areas. In addition, the skin under the adhesive tape does not breathe, and their removal is quite painful for the child.
What you need to focus on when choosing?
Pay attention to the following details:
- you can not take a belt "for growth" - the product must fit snugly to the body of the baby,
- high-quality bandages in wide places are equipped with stiffening ribs - longitudinal thick strips that prevent the product from rolling on the body,
- since the thermoregulation of infants is imperfect, in order to avoid local overheating, it is important to make sure that the belt material is permeable to moisture,
- the size of the hernial limiter should only slightly exceed the diameter of the protrusion of the baby,
- Velcro bandages are easier to use than with buckles and straps — they are quickly fixed and adjusted if necessary.
How to properly wear a bandage?
If you are afraid of harming your baby with wrongdoing, for the first time wearing a bandage is better in the clinic. A local pediatrician or surgeon will show how to reduce the protrusion, and will help to fix the device correctly so that it really brings positive dynamics. Wear the device, following the above algorithm:
- The baby's skin should be wiped dry and put the baby on the previously spread bandage on the back.
- The protrusion is gently pressed into the umbilical ring so that the hernia does not protrude above the skin surface.
- With your free hand, take the edge of the belt with the stopper and apply the compacted part on the navel, continuing to press on the hernia with the fingers of your other hand (we recommend reading: how is a navel hernia treated in a child?).
- Press down on the protrusion of the limiter, carefully releasing the fingers of the other hand from under the belt. It is important that the protrusion remained stable at all this time.
- With your free hand, firmly tighten the belt with another edge.
- Make sure that the hernial bandage does not squeeze the tummy and does not sit too loosely.
Bandage or improvised means - which is better?
Earlier, when the bandage belts were not yet there, on the advice of doctors and experienced relatives, mothers sealed the navel crosswise with adhesive tape or glued a coin to it. Many prefer to do so now. So can not spend money on an exotic fixture, and costs improvised materials? Let's compare them to each other.
(if the table is not fully visible - scroll it to the right)
Features of the device
The belt from the umbilical hernia for newborns is made of a plate sewn into the fabric and several fastenings that are needed to be fixed on the body of the baby. They are made in the form of conventional straps, rivets or fasteners. The main element of the belt is a plate that has a compression effect on the hernia.
To create a treatment belt for babies, hypoallergenic fabric materials are used. They prevent the occurrence of diaper rash, ensure normal air circulation and absorb moisture well. Also, if the baby will wear a corset regularly, he will not have a wood louse.
The treatment belt for hernia is characterized by a long service life, which is 3 years. During this time, the bandage should be washed regularly.
Advantages and disadvantages
Before using the umbilical hernia bandage for newborns, you should be familiar with its positive and negative sides. Among the advantages of devices for colic emit:
- the possibility of using the belt for the prevention of hernia,
- ease of use
- the possibility of repeated washing
- no irritants that can cause an allergic reaction,
- high efficiency,
- the use of hypoallergenic materials in the manufacture of bandage.
The belt has disadvantages, but they are much smaller than the advantages. The main disadvantages of the belt include:
- high cost
- temporary discomfort when using a bandage,
- irritation and redness of the skin field of strong friction of the belt.
In order not to encounter such disadvantages, it is necessary to choose the right belt for treating the umbilical cord. To do this, contact your doctor, who will advise a suitable belt so that it does not rub or crawl during use.
When choosing a bandage for umbilical hernia of newborns, certain difficulties may arise, due to which it is not always possible to buy a quality belt. To buy a suitable bandage for your child, you need to familiarize yourself with the recommendations for choosing. The following rules will help you make the right choice:
- The width and length of the belt should ideally fit the size of the baby.
- In the products must be ribs. They do not allow the material to roll when the child moves.
- You should buy a belt made of absorbent and air-tight fabric that absorbs moisture well. This prevents the development of diaper rash on the skin.
- When choosing a bandage for children older than six years, you need to pay attention to small models that will not be noticeable under the clothes.
- The seams on the inside are made neatly and do not bulge. This will prevent severe rubbing of the skin when using a hernia strap.
- When visually inspecting the product, it is necessary to unfasten it and fasten it several times to make sure that the seams are secure.
Also, buying a belt for a newborn baby, pay attention to the type of attachment. For babies fit models with velcro, which allow a person to independently adjust the size of the bandage.
Use the device for the treatment of protrusion near the navel will be able to all parents. However, before that you will have to familiarize yourself with recommendations for its use. First, the child is washed with warm water and wiped dry with a towel, as the bandage is put on clean and perfectly dry skin.
When the child is ready to put on the device, the bandage is placed on any hard surface. From above the baby is laid down with the navel down and wrapped with a bandage. Before fixing the belt with velcro, the bulge is carefully set by hand to prevent accidental damage. After fastening, the belt should fit snugly to the surface of the abdomen, but not tighten it. Due to the contraction of the baby, his stomach will ache and he will be uncomfortable while wearing a bandage.
The belt is worn by the child every day for 2-3 hours, until the hernia disappears. If the bulge does not pass, you will have to consult a doctor for consultation. Some specialists instead of bandages prescribe children patches, which are more effective than belts.