Mucus in the throat is a viscous secretion produced by the nasopharyngeal epithelium. It helps to protect the membranes from the penetration of viruses, the effects of irritating factors.
Persons who have excessive accumulation of mucus (postnasal wicking syndrome) in the throat should be monitored by an ENT doctor, since treatment and determination of the causes of the pathology is a rather complicated process. Self-treatment in many cases leads to a worsening of the condition. Patients begin intestinal disorders, reproduction of pathogenic microflora throughout the body.
Excessive mucus production: non-infectious and infectious causes
Mucus in the throat can come from the nasal cavity, nasopharynx, or produced by the glandular cells of the pharynx itself. Among the main reasons for the excessive formation of a viscous secret, it is customary to single out
1) Various external stimuli. Excess sputum can act as a defensive reaction to smoking, excessive consumption of alcohol or carbonated beverages, unfavorable ecological situation in the region, spicy food. In this case, the negative symptoms are observed after waking up in the morning.
2) Inflammations localized in the nasopharynx. These include sinusitis, sinusitis, chronic pharyngitis, adenoiditis.
3) Strong hypothermia body, being on the street with wet feet.
4) Allergic reactions, manifestations of bronchial asthma. In this case, a person may have tearing, rhinitis, redness of the eyes, skin rash, swelling of the mucous membranes. If possible, limit contact with irritating factors. The allergens include dust, pollen, animal dander, food products, mold. The basis of treatment is an allergological examination of the patient’s blood.
5) Different pulmonary pathology.
6) Diseases of the digestive tract. The esophagus has a close relationship with the throat. In some diseases, the acidic contents of the intestines enter the respiratory tract. The accumulation of mucous secretion is noted with pancreatitis, gastritis, cholecystitis. The formation of mucus occurs after eating. For such a condition is characterized by heartburn, belching.
7) Lack of water in the body. Drying of the mucous membranes often leads to changes in the characteristics of sputum. It becomes more viscous, thick. When dry air condition worsens.
8) Long term use of vasoconstrictor drops. As a result, there is swelling and drying of the mucous membrane, and mucus begins to flow down the nasopharynx.
The amount of secretion produced increases dramatically when a foreign object enters the throat. The body, therefore, tries to get rid of the stimulus. In some cases, the help of a physician is required to remove dropped items. Until the alien item is removed, the condition will not improve.
The development of a viscous secretion may be associated with the onset of pregnancy, hormonal changes, old age and congenital anatomical features of the structure of the nasopharynx. The normal process of cleansing the body can be disrupted due to stroke or various muscular diseases.
Mucus in the throat: symptoms of the pathological condition
The accumulation of mucus in the throat is accompanied by unpleasant symptoms, varying degrees of severity. These include:
• Constant burning sensation, tickling.
• A lump in the throat that does not go away.
• Constant desire to cough, while coughing will not bring any relief.
• Pain when swallowing, severe discomfort while eating solid foods.
• Runny nose, frequent sneezing.
• Unpleasant sour smell from the mouth associated with the active reproduction of pyogenic bacteria.
• Attacks of nausea, vomiting.
• Enlarged cervical lymph nodes, headaches, general weakness.
If the above symptoms appear, you should make an appointment with an otolaryngologist or try to relieve inflammation with the help of traditional medicine recipes. If blood streaks are noted during coughing in sputum, it is urgent to conduct additional research for the presence of a tumor.
A prerequisite for effective treatment is to change the daily diet. For a time, coffee, spicy dishes, alcohol, full-fat milk, soy are excluded. Preference should be given to warm soups, wild rose broths, and products with a high content of vitamin C. Chicken broth contributes to the secretion of mucus. An important rule for patients is not to eat before bedtime.
Throat in the throat: when medical help is needed
Many patients try to cope with mucus in their throats with unpleasant symptoms. If certain symptoms occur, delay can cause serious complications. The help of the doctor is necessary in cases:
1) Increases in body temperature above 37.5 degrees may indicate an infectious process.
2) Feeling of body aches, chills.
3) Mucus, tickling and coughing does not go away for more than 2 weeks.
4) In the sputum there are streaks of pus, blood.
5) The presence of sour taste in the mouth, discomfort in the digestive tract.
6) Infancy of the patient.
7) Against the background of excessive formation of mucus there is pain behind the sternum. This factor may indicate the presence of pneumonia.
8) Severe headaches.
Diagnosing excess mucus production
When the first signs of excessive mucus formation in the throat appear, it is necessary to pay close attention to its consistency. Dark colored lesions speak of a serious illness. An accurate diagnosis is the key to effective treatment.
The doctor must necessarily hold a number of procedures:
• A thorough analysis of the patient's complaints and a general examination of the neck, lymph nodes, thyroid, and abdomen.
• Pharyngoscopy. Visual examination of the mucous membrane of the throat does not require special preparation of the patient and the use of sophisticated equipment.
• Laryngoscopy. Before the procedure, it is recommended to refrain from eating and drinking to reduce the manifestations of the gag reflex.
• Biochemical and complete blood count.
• To exclude pathologies of the paranasal sinuses may require radiography.
• Bacterial sputum analysis.
In some cases, an accurate diagnosis requires consultation with a gastroenterologist, neurologist, and endocrinologist.
The main methods of treating mucus in the throat
The main task of treating mucus formation in the throat is to influence the cause of the disease and completely eliminate unpleasant sensations. For moderate to severe pathologies, antibacterial agents are used. Preference is given to cephalosporins. Also ENT-doctors can offer the following methods:
1) Use of synthetic pharmacy drugs. On the modern market are many effective and safe drugs. Directly affects the sputum Ambroxol, Carbocestin, Mesna, Bromhexin. As a result, its liquefaction occurs.
2) Rinse and flushing of the nose and throat. The procedure is allowed to carry out, starting with 3 years. The solution of furatsilina and potassium permanganate has become widespread. Gargling is possible with Miramistin, Chlorhexidine. Yoks.
3) The purpose of the complex of antihistamines (Loratadin, Suprastin) in determining the allergic component.
4) Grindings are permissible only in the absence of temperature. It is permissible to use honey with alcohol, goat fat.
5) Use of immunomodulators. Stimulating the body's own defenses allows you to cope with the problem in a shorter time.
6) Massage, physical therapy, breathing exercises.
7) To consolidate the result obtained, a course of physiotherapy is performed in a polyclinic.
Mucus in the throat of a child
When diagnosing an excessive viscous secretion in the nasopharynx in a child, the treatment being performed is complex and more careful. Particular danger is the accumulation of mucus in nursing patients. Most often in children, negative manifestations are caused adenoids.
The mucous membranes of the baby are extremely sensitive, so all the tools used should be with sparing effect. Aggressive drugs can damage tissues. Doctors pay attention to the dosage of drugs, the frequency of their use.
High efficiency in the mucus in the throat in a child shows a colloidal solution of silver - Protargol. Thanks to its use, bacteria are destroyed, the secretion of a viscous secretion is reduced, and a drying effect is produced. Breathing exercises will help reduce the amount of mucus.
When mucus in the throat of a child is prescribed irrigation of the throat with solutions sea salt with the addition of herbal ingredients. As a result, acceleration of tissue regeneration and hydration of mucous membranes are noted.
As an expectorant, children can be offered: radish juice with honey, licorice syrup, pine cones jam. In some cases, removal of adenoids may be required to eliminate negative symptoms. Surgery is a last resort in cases where conservative treatment does not produce results.
Purpose antibiotics It is advisable to diagnose the bacterial nature of the pathology. Preference is given to the drug in the form of a suspension with a pleasant taste, which can reduce the load on the gastrointestinal tract.
The accumulation of mucus in children may be the norm. In infants, the viscous secret flows down due to the narrow lumen of the nasal passages, inability to blow your nose.
Phlegm: recipes of traditional medicine
In some cases, it is possible to defeat the disease without resorting to medication. Before using any means you should consult with a specialist. An accumulation of mucus in the throat can be treated with:
1) Gargles. The most affordable way is to use salt, soda and iodine. To achieve the maximum effect, rinse is carried out every three hours. When preparing the solution, you will need a teaspoon of salt and soda, which are poured with a glass of boiling water. Before use, a few drops of iodine are added to the resulting product. Rinse can be carried out with the help of chamomile decoction, calendula.
2) Inhalation. A proven method of treating mucus in the throat is potatoes. Vegetable peel and cook until cooked. Then knead the potatoes, it is recommended to add a little soda. A sick person should sit in front of the pan, covered with a blanket. About 10 minutes you need to breathe warm air. It is important not to burn yourself, because in the first minutes the steam is very hot.
3) Compresses help in the dilution and sputum discharge. The impact is complex on the entire nasopharynx. To do this, you need to squeeze your cottage cheese well, wrap it in cloth and wrap your neck. From above the compress is fixed by polyethylene, a warm scarf. The procedure should be carried out at night.
4) Usage natural plant oils. In the treatment of mucus, eucalyptus oil has long been used, and it is strictly forbidden to use it inside. The most effective way - adding funds to the spray.
5) Throat lubrication alcohol tincture of propolis.
6) Rubbing front surface of the neck with quality unrefined oil with salt.
To reduce the formation of mucous secretion often use leaves of three aloeground and mixed with honey. It is used on a tablespoon after each meal. The use of heated mineral water (Borjomi, Essentuki) with honey will help alleviate the condition.
Important: even time-tested folk recipes can cause harm to the body. If after a few days there is no improvement in the condition, self-treatment should be stopped and seek help from the nearest medical institution.
Prevention of mucus formation in the throat
Prevention of excessive mucus formation in the throat is in compliance with the elementary rules:
• Drink as much liquid as possible every day so as not to suffer from thickening of sputum. Start the day with a glass of warm water with the addition of natural honey.
• Try to maintain a normal level of humidity in the apartment, work area.
• Regularly carry out water procedures, follow the rules of personal hygiene.
• Refuse existing bad habits.
• As often as possible, humming various melodies with your mouth closed, the vibrations of your voice will help your sputum to come out.
• During the peak of colds, use pharmacological oxolinic ointment.
• Physical activity, increased immunity with the help of vitamins.
• Stay away from dyes, household chemicals and toxic fumes.
• At least once a year visit the ENT doctor.
• Raise the headboard slightly.
• Avoid stressful conditions, excessive unrest and worries.
The accumulation of secretions in the nasopharynx in most cases indicates the presence of the disease or allergies. It is necessary as soon as possible to find out the causes and begin treatment.
Why is goo going in your throat
The airways from the inside are covered with mucous membranes, on the surface of which a thin layer of mucus is seen. This viscous secret that forms in the throat is a peculiar defense mechanism of the body that protects the pharynx walls from injury and drying, and is normally present in every person.
However, sometimes due to the influence of external stimuli or inflammation occurring in the internal organs, the production of sputum increases, causing the person to spit up its surplus.
The reasons for the accumulation of mucous clots can be:
- SARS or flu. When respiratory infections in the pharynx is collected mucus, which helps to clean the respiratory tract from pathogenic microorganisms, thereby accelerating the healing process.
- Chronic pathologies of the upper ENT pathways (pharyngitis, rhinitis, tonsillitis), accompanied by inflammatory phenomena in the nose and larynx. In these diseases, sputum can get into the throat from the nasopharynx.
- Nasal polyps can also provoke this manifestation, as well as the resulting injuries.
- Deformity of the nasal septum. In some people, the septum of the nose from birth has an irregular structure, which leads to a sensation of a mucous lump in the respiratory system.
- Acute and chronic pathologies of the lower respiratory tract (pneumonia, inflammation of the bronchi, etc.). In this case, the sputum formed in the lungs and bronchi "climbs" up and provokes the feeling that there is a lump of mucus in the throat.
- Exposure to an allergen. In allergy sufferers during an allergic reaction, it is precisely this symptom that manifests itself - clear or white mucus that does not go beyond the limits of the pharynx.
- Disorder of the gastrointestinal tract. The pharynx and esophagus are closely interconnected, therefore, with any changes in the work of the stomach and intestines, the patient may have a secretion clot inside the throat. Among the most common diseases that provoke this manifestation are gastritis, an ulcer, as well as reflux, characterized by the discharge of contents from the stomach into the esophagus.
- The reason for the constant sensation of clots in the respiratory tract can be an unbalanced diet. Salty, fatty foods, spicy seasonings can irritate the mucous membrane of the digestive tract and lead to an enhanced functioning of the salivary glands. A lump in the throat and mucus are often felt when eating too hot dishes.
- Adverse external factors. Harmful habits (smoking, drinking alcohol), as well as systematic inhalation of harmful substances, chemicals, polluted air provoke an increased secretion of sputum: this is how the body tries to get rid of the irritant.
Treatment also depends on the cause of discomfort: after all, enhanced secretion can be triggered by both external and internal factors.
Throughout the day, a thick secret accumulates in the throat, and I want to spit it. However, sometimes a large amount of sputum forms a lump, which does not expectorate, cough, or swallow.
Extensive mucous clots can lead to difficulty breathing, difficulty swallowing food and even vomiting. In most cases, the discomfort is observed in the morning: during a night's sleep, the secret is collected in the airways and is not able to leave the larynx when coughing.
If mucus accumulates in the throat on a permanent basis and interferes with normal life, you need to pay attention to its features:
- clear or light sputum can be a manifestation of pharyngitis - an inflammatory process in the throat or become a symptom of allergy,
- with fungal tonsillitis, the secret is usually white. At the same time on the pharynx and tonsils whitish spots may appear, indicating the presence of candidiasis,
- green or yellow-green viscous clots indicate the presence of bacteria in the nasopharynx, and may accompany sore throat, bronchitis, laryngitis and other diseases,
- dark or brown discharge indicates internal hemorrhage. Такое явление нередко происходит при разрыве мелкого кровеносного сосуда во время постоянного кашля, либо означают развитие серьёзного заболевания (гангрена, рак, туберкулёз и пр.).
Помимо ощущения комка в гортани, могут возникать следующие симптомы:
- there is no need to clear your throat, but there is no relief when coughing
- difficulty breathing through the nose, possibly sneezing,
- headache, general weakness, malaise,
- swollen lymph nodes in the neck,
- some patients note that there is a sore throat and a burning sensation is felt,
- when swallowing solid food there is discomfort,
- An unpleasant odor appears in the mouth, which is associated with the activation of bacteria.
When you need to see a doctor
Most often, people try to get rid of a stagnating lump on their own, or simply do not pay attention to it. Medical assistance is required when the following symptoms appear:
- the presence in the mucus of blood or purulent accumulations,
- temperature increase of more than 37.5 degrees
- children under 1 year old
- prolonged cough (more than 2 weeks),
- change in voice, intense sore throat, worse when swallowing food,
- pain symptoms in the chest,
- runny nose, headache,
- sour taste in the mouth,
- manifestations of dyspepsia, which are especially pronounced after eating.
If these symptoms occur, you should make an appointment with an otolaryngologist, who will help to identify the cause of the pathology and make the correct diagnosis. In some situations, consult an allergist.
How to get rid of mucus in the throat
First of all, the patient is recommended to normalize the drinking regime: this will help reduce the viscosity of mucus and improve expectoration. The exception is severe kidney disease - in this case, excessive drinking can provoke exacerbation.
After a night's sleep, every morning you must get rid of mucous secretions in the throat. In any case, a lump should not be swallowed; it is best to spit it in a disposable tissue or sink.
If clots are formed mainly after eating, gastrointestinal pathology can be suspected, lack of fluid in the body, excessive consumption of dairy products. Eliminating the unpleasant symptom in this case will help the rationing. In the diet should include plant foods, easily digestible proteins, vitamins. In addition, it is necessary to exclude chronic diseases of the upper respiratory tract, such as sinusitis, tonsillitis, pharyngitis.
Depending on the reason for the accumulation of viscous secretions in the respiratory organs, the following drugs may be prescribed:
- Rinse will help remove the slimy clot. For these purposes, antiseptic solutions are used, which will eliminate the inflammatory process and disinfect the tonsils. The most effective are Furacilin, Miramistin and Geksoral.
- To suppress the vital activity of pathogenic microorganisms in the larynx, you can use antibacterial sprays (Kameton, Ingalipt, IRS-19), anti-inflammatory aerosols (Yoks, Orasept), absorbable lozenges (Strepsils, Faringosept, Lizobakt). For the treatment of tonsils used Lugol.
- If a viscous secret was formed for allergic reasons, the pathology can be cured with the help of antihistamines - Diazolin, Suprastin, Loratadin, which must be taken at bedtime.
- If enhanced mucus secretion is observed in an infectious disease (pharyngitis, bronchitis, angina), antibiotic therapy is used. To prescribe a certain medication should the attending physician, identifying the pathogen that provoked the infection. To this end, the ENT doctor may prescribe a smear from the mucous membranes. Until then, it is recommended to use medicines of a wide range of effects (Sumamed, Amoxiclav, Cefuroxime).
- To remove the mucous lump from the pharynx in viral pathology, you can use antiviral medications (rimantadine, Arbidol), vitamin C.
- Excessive sputum is difficult to cough up, in which case expectorant and mucolytic agents (Bromhexine, Carbocysteine, Ambroxol, Acetylcysteine), which are indicated for the treatment of cough in viral and infectious pathologies, will come to the rescue.
- In serious cases, for example, in pneumonia, hormone therapy is used (Pulmicort).
- It is recommended to treat the manifestations of chronic rhinitis and antritis by instilling vasoconstrictor agents into the nose (Naphthyzin, Xylen, Sanorin, Sinupret).
- If you suspect that the digestive tract is ill, the patient will need to pass a series of tests. First of all, it is recommended to adjust the diet, change the diet. Probiotics (Atsipol, Bifidumbakterin) are used in conjunction with the main treatment to strengthen the walls of the gastrointestinal tract, as well as restore the intestinal microflora.
- Immunomodulating agents (Immunal) are used to restore the body's defenses.
In case of some pathologies of the respiratory organs, it is necessary to undergo a course of physiotherapy, exercise therapy, manual therapy.
If the occurrence of clots in the airways is not associated with serious diseases, treatment with folk remedies is carried out:
- inhalation with the help of mineral water having an alkaline composition (Borjomi, Essentuki) and sodium chloride promote easy sputum discharge.
- in case of respiratory diseases, hot inhalations over potato vapors will help,
- inhaling the hot vapors of herbs - chamomile and eucalyptus,
- for washing the nasopharynx and larynx use tea soda, potassium permanganate, chamomile, sage,
- You can get rid of a viscous secretion in the pharynx, a striped oral cavity with iodine solution: for 200 g of water - 1 teaspoonful of soda and salt and 2-3 drops of iodine,
- in the absence of temperature, rubbing with goat fat or honey mixed with alcohol is used,
- Throat mucous can be smeared with propolis alcohol tincture: it perfectly removes inflammation and kills bacteria,
- With acute respiratory viral infections, colds and other diseases accompanied by cough and runny nose, warm drinks will help: tea with lemon or ginger, alkaline mineral water,
- Bactericidal properties of infusions of sage, chamomile, calendula, plantain decoction. They can be taken orally or rinse the oropharynx 4-5 times a day,
- for a better secret discharge inside use aloe juice mixed with honey, as well as a mixture of honey, horseradish and onion,
- syrups based on Althea and Deviacela, as well as the infusion of coltsfoot and thermopsis, will help strengthen the expectoration,
- reduce the intensity of coughing and remove the mucous lump with the help of licorice root: for children it is used in the form of syrup, tincture can be used for adults,
- if there is no fever, warming compresses may be applied to the neck area, which will reduce the viscosity of the sputum and contribute to its removal:
- Cottage cheese is freed from excess liquid, wrapped in natural material, applied to the neck area, on top covered with plastic wrap and a scarf. This method is recommended to apply before going to bed.
- Warming effect has a balm "Golden Star". Balsam rubbed neck and wrapped in a warm towel overnight.
- A positive effect on the removal of sputum clots has a compress from potatoes. Potatoes are boiled, mashed in a puree and applied warmly to the neck, wrapped in warm material. After cooling, the compress is removed.
- Well helps breathing exercises, with which you can get rid of sticking secretions to the walls of the pharynx.
You should not ignore the unpleasant symptom, especially when it is constantly worried: most often it is a manifestation of a disease that the attending physician will help to identify.
Mucus in the pharynx is most often a manifestation of a disease, and is not considered an independent disease. Therefore, special measures to prevent it does not exist. However, you can reduce the likelihood of enhanced sputum synthesis, if you adhere to the following rules:
- give up harmful habits - smoking and drinking alcohol,
- monitor the air temperature in the room, ensure sufficient humidity and oxygen circulation,
- in case of an epidemic of colds, use a gauze bandage, lubricate the nasal mucous membranes with oxolinic ointment,
- X-ray examination once a year
- eliminate food irritating to the respiratory tract from the diet.
A slimy lump in the respiratory organs is a frequent occurrence that can disturb both adults and children. The causes of the symptom can be a large number. In some cases, it is enough to change the habitual way of life and adjust nutrition, in others - the reason may be hiding in serious diseases.. That is why it is necessary to consult a doctor with this problem.
Causes of sputum in the throat
Phlegm is a symptom that accompanies many diseases and pathological conditions in the human body.
Phlegm is a result of respiratory disease
It may result from:
- respiratory diseases of bacterial and viral origin,
- tuberculosis, cancer pathologies of the respiratory organs,
- diseases of the cardiovascular system and gastrointestinal tract,
- allergic reaction to certain irritants,
- improper lifestyle: constant smoking, drinking alcohol,
- the use of food harmful to the throat: hot, cold, spicy dishes,
- unfavorable living or working conditions in hazardous production.
Conventionally, these causes can be divided into 2 groups: diseases and other conditions.
The normal factors causing persistent sputum include:
- Adverse environmental conditions: the high content of dust, chemicals and other harmful impurities in the air causes irritation of the mucous membrane and increased secretion in the throat and sinuses.
- A great smoking experience: nicotine kills cells of the ciliary epithelium, as a result of which the mucus lingers in the lungs and is constantly expectorated in the form of sputum in a transparent, grayish or brown color.
Smoking is one of the first causes of sputum.
Which doctor to contact?
If you have sputum should consult a general practitioner. The therapist or pediatrician will conduct an examination, interview the patient, perform the necessary diagnostic measures, and establish a preliminary diagnosis.
Seeing a general practitioner is the first step for sputum.
If necessary, the general practitioner will refer you to other specialists:
- ENT - for diseases of the upper respiratory tract,
- to the pulmonologist - for pathologies of the lungs and bronchi,
- cardiologist - for diseases of the cardiovascular system,
- to the gastroenterologist - with refluxes and other problems of the gastrointestinal tract,
- to the psychologist - with dependence on smoking, alcohol.
In order to diagnose the cause of sputum, the attending physician will need to perform the following manipulations:
- Examination and interview of the patient, the study of the medical records of the patient
- Listening to pulmonary noise with a phonendoscope.
- Sputum analysis: general, bacteriological culture.
- X-ray, CT scan or MRI of the lungs.
X-ray sputum detection example
Drugs used to treat the causes of sputum include mucolytic and expectorant drugs, immunomodulators, antiviral, antifungal and antibacterial drugs.
ACC Long is an effective drug for the treatment of sputum.
Herbal collection will help to quickly remove phlegm from the throat: plantain, mint, altea and coltsfoot. Drink of them is prepared as follows:
- Take 40-50 g of each herb, chop and dry, if necessary, mix thoroughly.
- The mixture is poured over 1 liter of water and infused for 20 minutes in a water bath.
- After the drink should stand for 2-3 hours in a warm place.
Herbal drink from mucus as a means to fight sputum
Eat collection should be 2-3 times a day, on an empty stomach.
Bark and pine needles are an effective anti-inflammatory agent for many respiratory diseases. The decoction is prepared as follows:
- 2 tbsp. l pine bark and needles mix, pour 500 ml of hot water.
- Mix the mixture for 5 minutes over low heat.
- The resulting broth insist 2-3 hours, after the strain.
Pine decoction - an effective anti-inflammatory agent
Broth is used inside 50-60 ml, 2-3 times a day, on an empty stomach.
In addition to pine bark and needles, you can also use the kidneys in combination with milk to get rid of sputum. The mixture is made as follows:
- 1 tbsp. l kidney mixes with 200 ml of warm milk.
- The drink is removed in the refrigerator and infused for 12-15 hours.
- The mixture is carefully filtered and used inside.
For 1 reception you need to drink 50 ml.
Black radish and honey
Honey perfectly helps with any inflammatory diseases of the upper and lower respiratory tract. Black radish also has an antiseptic and anti-inflammatory effect.
- 1 medium radish rubbed on a small grater, if the parts turned out large - grind almost dust.
- Mix the resulting mass with 2 tablespoons of fresh honey, liquid or preheated to a liquid consistency.
- Drain the juice from the mixture and take it inside after a meal, 1 tbsp. l
Black radish and honey - an excellent antiseptic to combat sputum
The mixture itself can be applied to the chest and throat as a compress.
Onions - an excellent tool for the prevention and treatment of infectious diseases. To remove sputum it is used inside in the form of a decoction.
- Peel 2 large onions, place in pan.
- Fill with boiling water, boil for 1-1.5 hours on low heat.
- Add to the broth 200 g of sugar.
Eat broth should be 3-4 times a day.
Aloe and honey
To remove sputum from the respiratory tract, aloe leaves can be added to honey as an additional ingredient.
- Clean the leaf of a fresh plant, chop it thoroughly.
- Mix obtained with 1 tbsp. l honey liquid consistency and eat inside.
Aloe as an additional component to honey in the fight against sputum
This mixture can be used 2 times a day: in the morning and in the evening. For each reception, it is necessary to prepare a new mixture, otherwise it will lose its useful properties during storage.
Banana in combination with sugar is an excellent recipe for people to better expectorate sputum and speed up recovery.
- Peel and grate 2-3 bananas.
- Add to them 2 times less sugar.
- Mix thoroughly and eat.
This recipe is harmless and very tasty, so it has no restrictions on use.
Propolis tincture can be used as a gargle, a compress, or a throat lubricant to get rid of sputum.
- For lubrication: mix 25 ml of propolis tincture with 50 ml of peach oil, lubricate the mucous membranes of the throat and nose 2 times a day.
- To rinse: 2 tsp. Means to dissolve in 200 ml of warm water, rinse 5-6 times a day.
- As a compress: mix 10 ml of propolis with 2 tsp. honey, put on a sterile bandage, apply to the chest or throat for 2-3 hours.
Propolis for rinsing, compressing or lubricating the throat with sputum
Tea with herbs and berries
Adding anti-inflammatory herbs, berries and other ingredients to ordinary tea will help to quickly get rid of the inflammatory process and say goodbye to sputum. As an addition to tea should be used:
Tea with the addition of anti-inflammatory berries and herbs from sputum
Tea with anti-inflammatory effect should be drunk 5-6 times a day.
Calendula with honey
As a supplement to honey, fresh or dried calendula is perfect: this herb copes with inflammatory processes in the body.
- Clean and chop 2 tablespoons of calendula petals if necessary.
- Mix with 1 tsp. liquid honey, use 0.5 tsp. at one time.
Calendula with honey against inflammatory processes in the body
Means is used 2 times a day: in the morning and in the evening.
What to do with sputum in a child?
Due to the anatomical and physiological features, children of preschool and primary school age do not cough up expectoration as easily as they do in adults and adolescents.
In order not to cause mucus stagnation and not to provoke complications, the following recommendations should be observed when getting rid of sputum in a child:
- For the expectorant effect should be applied syrups and sprays of plant origin, with natural ingredients.
- Mucolytics should be used in the form of inhalation with a nebulizer or a steam inhaler. There are special solutions for these purposes: Ambrobene, Lasolvan.
- Special massage and gymnastics are necessary: this method stimulates the outflow of sputum from the lungs and larynx.
- In addition to drug therapy, you should use traditional methods: gargling, nasal rinsing, various compresses with a hypoallergenic composition.
- Drug treatment should be supplemented with physiotherapy: UHF-therapy, laser therapy and galvanization stimulate the immune system, improve microcirculation and help the body to quickly overcome the disease.
If sputum constantly accumulates in the larynx, and the cause of its occurrence is not treated, the following complications may occur:
- heart pathologies,
- esophagus ulcers, esophagitis,
- laryngeal edema, difficulty breathing,
- purulent otitis, labyrinthitis,
- hearing impairment, ear noise,
- blood poisoning.
Laryngeal edema as a complication of persistent sputum
The occurrence of these consequences can be fatal.
Prevention of accumulation of mucus in the larynx
К профилактическим мерам, предотвращающим появление вязкой и густой слизи в горле, относится следующее:
- Отказ от вредных привычек: курения, алкоголя.
- Употребление в пищу умеренно острой пищи средней температуры.
- Frequent walks in the fresh air, if possible - avoidance of hazardous industries and areas with polluted air.
- Timely treatment of inflammatory diseases of the respiratory tract.
- Annual examinations by a cardiologist and a gastroenterologist.
- Taking vitamins in the autumn-spring period to reduce the likelihood of a cold.
- Abundant use of clean drinking water.
The appearance of sputum in the throat is a symptom signaling problems in the body. The separation of mucus never goes away by itself, so you should consult a doctor to avoid complications in the course of the disease.
Rate this article
(2 ratings, average 5,00 from 5)
Causes of discomfort in the throat
What affects the formation of mucus in the throat causes and treatment are closely intertwined, so you should know them:
- ARI (acute respiratory infections). Inflammation of the upper respiratory processes often accompanies sputum in the throat. Diseases of acute respiratory infections include: pharyngitis, laryngitis, tonsillitis, rhinitis, sinusitis, sinusitis. Inflammation is accompanied by the secretion of mucus and its further draining along the back of the throat or rising from the lungs. The phlegm with ORZ clears the respiratory tract from bacteria and disappears as soon as the person recovers. If the mucus in the throat is of another cause, and the treatment of the disease did not help to get rid of it - consult a doctor.
- Chronic diseases (upper respiratory area). In the case of neglect of many pathologies of the upper respiratory tract mucus accumulates very intensively. It is unpleasant, but not dangerous, it is a signal that an inflammatory process is present in the body.
- Chronic diseases (lower respiratory area).
- Allergic reactions.
- Diseases of the digestive tract.
- Disrupted diet, eating junk food.
- Bad habits (smoking).
If a person has green sputum, creating a lump in the throat, this indicates an abscess of the lungs. In simple words, it is a purulent process, which is accompanied by the release of purulent mucus green. Additional symptoms of the disease: chest pain, chills, coughing up mucus with bloody veins. When treating a lung abscess, doctors predict good results for patients. In the case of a neglected disease there is a risk of becoming chronic, rarely fatal.
Cough with the discharge of white cheesy mucus is a reaction to a fungal infection or pulmonary tuberculosis. The spread of fungal infection in the bronchi, the mucous membrane of the throat of a person often manifests itself after a long period of taking antibiotics, medicines that weaken the immune system. White sputum when coughing with scant volumes signals pulmonary tuberculosis. Sometimes blood streaks appear in the masses of mucus - this means that bleeding has opened in the lungs.
The watery structure of expectorations indicates that the body has a viral infection, sometimes even of a chronic nature. White expectorant mucus is also associated with allergic manifestations. The body reacts to dust, pollen, odors, vapors, household chemicals. Allergies are more common in people who are often in contact with harmful fumes, chemical materials.
Why mucus forms in the throat
Mucoid secretion (otherwise mucus) is produced by goblet cells located deep in the mucosal epithelium.
The universal mechanism of its formation in the throat is as follows:
- The oropharyngeal mucosa is affected by a pathological exogenous (external) or endogenous (internal) factor. This may be the inflammatory process, the impact on the anatomical structure of chemical reagents, high temperatures.
- There is a natural defensive reaction - the body actively produces mucus in order to get rid of the imaginary or real pathological agent and products of its vital activity, in other words, strive to wash it off.
- The more intense the exposure, the greater the exudation.
Most often we are talking about the cold of non-infectious genesis in the chronic stage, allergic and vasomotor.
These forms are manifested by runoff of nasal mucus in the vestibular region of the throat and larynx (postnasal wicking syndrome, English postnasal drip), the symptoms are aggravated at night and in the morning. After waking up, a short-term intense cough is possible, caused by irritation of the reflexogenic zones from excess exudate.
Visual inspection of signs of inflammation of the oropharynx is not observed, however, characteristic mucous cords on the back of the throat are visible.
During the day, the symptoms disappear, because the mucous secretion does not accumulate in an upright position, but flows freely into the trachea and is swallowed without affecting the receptors responsible for the cough reflex.
It is important to note that this is not the disease itself, but a syndrome. Read more about how to treat allergic rhinitis form here, and vasomotor - in this article.
Intensive Tobacco Smoking
Smokers with experience have a well-known feeling of a lump in the throat, when thick, poorly diverting mucus accumulates.
The cause of its occurrence is the effect on the oropharynx of tobacco hot smoke and tar. Persistent burns are formed. The body is trying to get rid of the negative impact, producing exudate.
At the same time, not only in the throat, but also in the bronchi, as well as the lungs, smokers constantly accumulate fluid mucus. You can cope with this condition only by giving up cigarettes and tobacco products.
This is not so easy to do, but after a while everything falls into place.
Allergies affecting the oropharynx are quite common (about 15% of all allergic reactions occur right here).
The formation of a false immune reaction goes through several stages:
- antigen penetration,
- adhesion of the antigen with the antibody and the formation of a single complex,
- histamine release and cell and tissue damage.
Allergy is accompanied by a lot of symptoms, in addition to the accumulation of viscous mucous exudate. This is a feeling of irritation, burning, shortness of breath (increase in the number of respiratory movements per minute), asphyxiation (impaired respiratory function of varying severity), pain behind the sternum, laryngeal edema (fraught with the development of obstruction and asphyxia).
The immune response can be dangerous for the life and health of the patient. Exudation, as in the previous case, is caused by exposure to the epithelium.
The disease is an inflammation of the walls of the stomach. Mucous degrades, ulcerative defects are gradually formed.
During the pathological process a number of characteristic symptoms appear. The accumulation of a large amount of mucus in the larynx in the morning, the pain behind the hailstone and in the epigastric region, which is aggravated by eating.
Dyspeptic symptoms (burning in the chest, so-called heartburn, nausea, vomiting, odor intolerance, problems with stool).
Transfer of gastric contents from the hollow organ back to the esophagus. This pathology is characterized by weakness of the lower esophageal sphincter and has a mixed origin, but is characterized by significant danger.
It is known that people suffering from reflux often suffer from cancer of the esophagus. In addition, breathing problems (asphyxia, asphyxiation) and death are possible if the liquid gastric contents leak into the lungs. Especially because reflux occurs mainly at night.
The mucus is produced in response to the effects on the epithelium of the acidic juice of the stomach, is collected in the esophagus in an excessive amount, especially when a person lies.
If mucus accumulates in the throat, a stomach ulcer may be the cause. When it, like gastritis, develops heartburn, belching sour contents and other symptoms.
The essence of the pathological process is the formation on the epithelium of the hollow organ of the ulcer.
The accumulation of mucus in anticipation of the throat in this case - the lesser of the evils. If you do not cure the disease in time, perforation is possible (perforation of the stomach wall).
"Chronic" prolonged use of alcohol leads to the formation of persistent burns of the mucous membrane of the oropharynx. The result is the production of a large amount of exudate.
To cope with this condition, it is enough to stop using ethyl alcohol. The maximum permissible amount of ethanol per day is 30-50 ml, not more. Only high-quality wine, no vodka or beer. Otherwise, the mucous mass in the throat will accumulate constantly.
Indirectly affects the formation of mucus in the throat and trachea intake of large amounts of spicy food. As a rule, hot spices and dishes are rich in capsaicin or sulfur compounds.
They irritate the mucous membranes of the oropharynx, causing intense exudation. This is, in general, quite physiological, but unpleasant.
The most common pathology is tonsillitis or inflammation of the tonsils. The second name of the disease is angina.
The soft palate may also be involved in the pathological process. It is characterized by intense pain in the oropharynx, itching, burning, inability to eat normally.
The hyperemia of a pharynx develops, the structure of a throat becomes friable. There is intense mucus production.
At the same time, pus is always released, a substance with an unpleasant odor. Requires complex treatment. In the absence of therapy, there may be problems with the heart, lungs (with a downward spread of the infectious agent).
The following list of infectious causes includes the following:
- Laryngitis. Inflammation of the mucous membranes of the larynx. Characterized by pain behind the sternum, a strong barking cough, which is not stopped by standard means and excessive mucus secretion.
- Tracheitis. Inflammation of the trachea. Symptoms are similar to laryngitis.
- Pharyngitis. Inflammation of the mucous membranes of the throat. Always characterized by intense exudation.
- Bronchitis, pleurisy and pneumonia. In this case, mucus is formed not in the throat, but in the lower respiratory tract (this is sputum) and when coughing falls into the oropharynx.
- Lesions of the nasopharynx. First of all sinusitis. Mucus drains from the nose on the back wall and accumulates in the throat. This is the most difficult state in terms of prospects.
- Sinusitis in general. Inflammation of the paranasal sinuses (frontal sinusitis, sphenoiditis, and ethmoiditis). Characterized by the leakage of sticky mucous exudate into the throat without coughing (it is observed only in the morning), similar to the after-nasal syndrome. The pathological process itself does not affect the larynx, so there is no redness of the back wall and pain sensations.
In all the cases described, the body in this way tries to get rid of pathogenic microorganisms and their metabolic products.
The selection of mucous exudate is always accompanied by some manifestations. They are multiple.
Only the most common are presented:
- pain in the chest, in the throat. Strengthens when swallowing, eating.
- respiratory disorders. Problems with inhalation or exhalation due to swelling of the anatomical passages.
- constant swallowing.
- bad breath. Due to the active multiplication of bacterial flora.
- violations of nasal breathing, pain in the projection of the sinuses.
- persistent coughing or occasional coughing.
By itself, the exudate may be transparent or purulent, yellow, viscous or liquid. It all depends on the underlying disease.
Causes of mucus in the throat
A healthy person produces a small amount of sputum in the larynx. This is the secret of the mucous membrane of the trachea and bronchi, produced by goblet cells. The main function of mucus is protective. Its thick texture prevents bacteria and viruses from entering the lower respiratory tract. In some cases, its quantity exceeds the norm, making breathing and swallowing difficult. The causes of this phenomenon are infectious and non-infectious.
From home methods, relieve the state will help the use of large amounts of warm liquid. This is an effective way to thin the mucus and wash off the excess.
However, this is only a temporary measure: the exudate products will continue, since the root cause has not been eliminated.
Treatment of the underlying cause begins after the diagnosis and the appointment of appropriate medications. There can be no single list of drugs, since the treatment regimens vary from disease to disease.
Infectious inflammations of the oropharynx, caused by bacterial flora, are stopped by preparations of several pharmaceutical groups.
Reception of the following list of medications is shown:
- Anti-inflammatory nonsteroidal origin. As follows from the name of the group of these drugs, they are designed to relieve general and local inflammation. Take in pill form. With the fragility of blood vessels and a tendency to bleeding, caution should be exercised. Such medications as Ketoprofen, Diclofenac, Ibuprofen and its analogues will do.
- Antibacterial agents. They constitute the basis for the treatment of all bacterial lesions (in this case the oropharynx). Specific names are assigned only by a doctor and are applied in the system. First it is necessary to determine the type of bacteria and its sensitivity to drugs. Taking these medicines uncontrollably, the patient risks his own health and even life.
- Analgesics. Used to relieve pain. New generation drugs based on metamizole sodium are prescribed: Baralgin, Pentalgin.
- Expectorant (secretolytic) and mucolytics. The first enhance the cough reflex, which contribute to the rapid discharge of exudate. Mucolytics dilute viscous mucus - it becomes larger, but more fluid consistency, which facilitates expectoration.
What is sputum and how does it manifest?
Under this term in medicine it is commonly understood a viscous secret, which is formed by the cells of the respiratory epithelium and contains mucus, fragments of bacteria, desquamated cells and other elements.
It is formed in the lower parts of the respiratory tract (trachea, bronchi and lungs) and, due to receptor irritation, causes a cough reflex and comes out through the mouth.
Some patients put into this concept and discharge with a cold, which descend along the back wall of the pharynx and expectorate through the mouth, as well as discharge from chronic pathologies of the oropharynx and larynx.
A person can call all these different processes in one word phlegm in the throat. That is why this symptom is not specific for any one disease, but can accompany various pathological processes.
When ascertaining the cause, it is imperative that you have to examine the patient, find out all the details of the history and conduct a series of tests in order to understand what exactly the discharge concerns the person and what treatment he needs to choose.
Why is phlegm in the throat causes and symptoms
The accumulation of sputum is rarely the only problem. Most often this is a concomitant symptom of some disease and condition.
Consider the main reasons why a person may complain of discharge in the throat and what other signs these diseases manifest themselves:
Runny nose and inflammation in the sinuses any cause (bacterial, allergic, chronic, etc.) can provoke the appearance of sputum. The mucus and pus, which are formed in the nasal cavity, do not go out through the nose due to pronounced swelling, but flow down the back surface of the pharynx.
This condition is aggravated in the morning or after sleep, when a person has spent several hours in a horizontal position, and in the posterior parts of the nasopharynx a copious, purulent discharge has accumulated. It begins to drain into the throat, causing irritation and a wet cough.
Persistent sputum in the throat without cough: causes and treatment
Sputum is a special secret produced by bronchial cells. As it moves along the airways, mucus from the nose is mixed into it.
- suffocation and shortness of breath,
- wheezing in the chest,
- cough with difficult expectoration,
- feeling of heaviness in the chest.
Other causes: dehydration, reduced saliva production, esophageal diverticulum and others. Source: nasmorkam.net to the content?
Sputum without cough and fever
Patients often ask the question why there is a discharge from the throat, if there are no other symptoms of the disease: no cold, no cough, not even low-grade fever. Consider the situations in which such a problem occurs, and how it manifests itself:
Adenoids. This disease is more common in children, although in rare cases it may also bother an adult. Appears:
- nasopharyngeal mucus
- difficulty in nasal breathing and runny nose,
- noisy breathing and nasal voices in a child.
If the adenoids are not inflamed, then the baby will not have temperature. A constant nasal congestion without treatment can lead to developmental delays and other problems.
What causes constant sputum in the throat
If the discharge in the throat worries a person all the time, then this definitely cannot be associated with an acute infection. In such cases, the cause may be:
- chronic inflammatory processes (tonsillitis, pharyngitis, tracheitis, etc.), in which sore throat and discharge cause discomfort almost all the time without pronounced periods of improvement,
- hazardous working conditions. Работники промышленных заводов, лакокрасочных и фармацевтических предприятий часто жалуются на ощущение того, что в горле стоит мокрота, которая не отхаркивается. Это связано с постоянным раздражением слизистой дыхательных путей токсическими веществами,
- нарушение микроклимата в помещении. Many people carelessly maintain normal humidity and room temperature. Ignore the advice that for normal mucous membranes need cool moist air. Against the background of a disturbance of the normal microclimate, mucous membranes start to work worse in apartments and houses in a person, they dry out and mucus and various bacteria accumulate on them. Such sputum is very thick, practically does not recede, and may be accompanied by constant soreness and discomfort in the nose and oropharynx.
What to do if phlegm in the throat is not expectorated
In order to get rid of the feeling of constant sputum, you need to know what causes this problem. If it is not possible to visit a doctor and be examined immediately, then we will list some simple measures that will help alleviate this ailment:
- inhalation (steam sludge apparatus). Conduct such procedures with mineral water, decoction of herbs and regular saline. They will help moisturize the mucosa and relieve a feeling of discomfort in the throat,
- if the cough is dry and the sputum is not cleared at all, you can use homeopathic remedies (Sinupret, Bronchipret, etc.), which increase the production of mucus and help it to withdraw,
- bury and pour moisturizing (Salin) and oil (Pinosol) drops. In this case, they should be instilled regularly and in the prone position so that they flow down the back surface of the pharynx,
- increase the amount of fluid consumed. Sometimes thick and difficult to release sputum is due to lack of water in the body.
If the phlegm completely tortured the patient and no home remedy helps to consult a doctor better sooner to find out the reason. The cure of the disease is half dependent on the correct diagnosis.
Treatment of noncommunicable diseases
Endocrine pathologies (primarily thyroid disease) are treated with iodine preparations. In the absence of iodine deficiency, a diet poor in this element is prescribed.
If the reason lies in bad habits, you need to give up smoking, alcohol. It is recommended to regularly humidify the air in the room and carry out wet cleaning.
Gastrointestinal pathologies are treated with the help of proton pump inhibitors, wound-healing drugs and antacid agents (only for gastritis with high acidity).
Reflux is treated in the same way. In addition, a special gymnastics is appointed.
The appearance of mucous secretions in the throat is an unpleasant symptom. By itself, he does not require treatment - it is necessary to eliminate the root cause, and only in this way will it get rid of permanent discomfort.
Sputum formation is facilitated not only by viral diseases. The negative factors of non-infectious nature include:
- Allergic reactions (to dust, plants, animal dander).
- Eating spicy foods and alcohol.
- Chronic pathology of the digestive tract. The phlegm in this case differs from the allergic one in that there is no sneezing, tearing and runny nose.
Mucus is collected to protect the body from allergens. There are other symptoms as well (coughing, sneezing, redness of the eyes).
Diseases of the digestive system (reflux esophagitis, gastritis) lead to an increased formation of gastric juice, which enters the upper respiratory tract. A large accumulation of mucus is a reaction to similar irritation of the mucous. Tobacco smoke, spirits and spices can have a similar effect.
Diagnosis of the disease is carried out using the following studies:
- Visual inspection (laryngoscopy).
- General and biochemical analysis of blood. Increased white blood cell count and a high erythrocyte sedimentation rate indicates an inflammatory reaction. High content in the blood of eosinophils allows you to identify an allergic reaction.
- Bacteriological seeding. In the presence of a bacterial infection, the causative agent is determined.
- Histological examination. Conducted to exclude oncological formations.
- EGD (fibrogastroscopy). If you suspect a pathology of the gastrointestinal tract requires a visual inspection of the stomach and esophagus.