Myoma (also found "Fibromyoma", "fibroma", "leiomyoma") - a common disease of the female reproductive system, characterized by the growth of a benign hormone-dependent tumor on one of the walls of the organ. This disease occurs predominantly in women. reproductive age - on average from 20 to 40 years. However, it is difficult to diagnose immediately due to the peculiarities of the symptoms of myoma, and the presence of a tumor is usually determined during menopause.
As for the clinical manifestations of uterine fibroids, There are two main symptoms:
- copious, prolonged menstruationoften with bloody clots (or bleeding during menopause),
- pains of a different nature - strong, sharp, pulling - in the lower abdomen or in the back - in the lumbar region.
But at the same time, making a diagnosis is difficult because signs diseases for a very long time may not be. This is due, primarily, to the structure of uterine fibroids. On the second place among the reasons is the size and nature of the tumor growth.
How and where does it hurt
Fibroma grows on the epithelium of the uterine wall, connecting with it by the myomatous stem, in which vessels and nerves sprout. The body simply does not perceive this structure as alien and does not react to it, so the process of the appearance of a tumor painless.
- Submucous uterine fibroids (in other words, the one that grows on the inner wall into the uterus) of small and medium size does not cause pain or discomfort. Such fibromyoma can manifest itself as acute pain in the lower abdomen only during expulsion. "Birth" fibroids.
- Subserous (tumors on the outer wall of the organ on the side of the peritoneum) and intramural (growing in the wall of the uterus) medium and large fibromas can cause severe pain in the lower abdomen, sometimes even pulling or the same sharp back pain. Such manifestations are caused most often. squeezing the tumor of neighboring organs or nerve plexus. And by the way, in the diagnosis of “myoma”, patients more often mention that the back is sore. This is due to the irradiation of pain.
- Sharp, very severe pain in uterine myoma in the lower abdomen indicates in most cases about torsion of myoma feet. This condition of the patient is urgent and requires immediate surgical intervention.
When the legs are twisted, the blood flow in the fibroids is disturbed, and it subsequently very quickly necrotic. Necrosis of the tumor can cause the development of infection, destruction of surrounding tissues or malignancy of fibroids.
How to relieve pain
What means will help in case of a stomach ache in case of myoma? First of all it should be noted that do not self-medicate! When certain signs of the disease appear, it is necessary to consult a doctor, because some types of myomas are treated conservatively, some only surgically, and for some types the so-called “waiting tactics” are provided.
By temporarily eliminating the pain, you can aggravate the processand there is a chance of developing many complications (infection, malignancy, infertility). Only a gynecologist can prescribe adequate treatment and select the appropriate drugs to relieve pain symptoms.
Doctors do not advise taking medications that eliminate the pain according to the principle of local removal of spasm. Thus, the blood flow increases locally, which, according to research data, can become cause of growth fibroids.
If the lower abdomen hurts with fibroids, experts advise taking nonsteroidal anti-inflammatory drugs:
- naproxen (aka “nalixan”),
- ortofen (aka Voltaren, Diclofenac Sodium),
- nimesil (nimesulide).
There are also many different recipes. traditional medicine. Among other things:
- stone oil solution (about three grams per two liters of water),
- Herbal preparations based on birch and pine buds, calendula, nettle leaves and plantain, wild rose berries and viburnum),
- decoctions based on celandine, yarrow, chaga (birch fungus), burdock,
- infusions of dried marsh or green walnuts,
- tinctures of peony root or mistletoe leaves.
Recommended freshly squeezed juices potatoes of pink varieties, cabbage, plums, beets. Apitherapy is often used - beekeeping therapy.
And although they all guarantee not only the elimination of symptoms, but also a complete deliverance from fibroids, their effectiveness has not been proven, and such treatment can distort the clinical picture and make it difficult to make a diagnosis, or worse - aggravate the process.
Similarly, experts refer to homeopathic remedies.
- First of all, homeopathy has an effect only with prolonged use and strict adherence to the rules (proper nutrition, rejection of bad habits and caffeine, compliance with the regimen, etc.).
- Secondlyif these drugs will act, then again they will only eliminate the symptoms - you will still have to consult a doctor.
- Well third, the positive effect of homeopathic medicines has not been clinically proven.
In general, it must be remembered that pain is just a symptom. In order to avoid further development of fibroids and the appearance of its complications, the main task should be disease treatmentand not the elimination of its manifestations.
Signs of fibroids
The first signs of trouble in the state of the uterus can be determined by the following factors:
- Sexual intercourse causes pain.
- Increase the size of the body.
- Menstruation becomes long and abundant.
- Abdominal and lower back pain.
- Constipation, urge to urinate frequently.
- Dyspnea, tachycardia, increased blood pressure.
- Failure of the menstrual cycle.
- Fatigue, pale skin, headache and dizziness.
Types of uterine fibroids
There is a dependence of pain on the type of fibroids - a stomach ache, pain gives to the side or lower back. Tumor-like formations are multiple and single, most of them are round, hormone-dependent. The size of the tumor-like formation is estimated by weeks of pregnancy.
Myomas violate the ability of the myometrium to contractile actions, contribute to the appearance of painful menstruation, which can be abundant and prolonged. Tumor-like formations can cause deformity of the reproductive organ, impaired menstrual cycle, pain during sexual intercourse, sports, and infertility. Factors contributing to the development of myomas:
- Hormonal imbalance.
- Endocrine diseases.
- Excess weight.
- Inflammatory processes in the female genital area.
- Genetic predisposition.
- Other factors.
Subserous the node grows in the direction of the abdominal cavity, very often located on the long leg. A node is formed under the outer serous membrane of the uterus, in the outer muscular layer of the genital organ. Subserous (subperitoneal) fibroids - a node that can be formed on a broad base or on a thin stalk, stands for the limits of the genital organ. The formation of a subserous node contributes to an imbalance of hormone levels, which enhances the division of smooth muscle cells. If a woman has subserous fibroids, pain in the lower abdomen can talk about torsion of the legs of the tumor-like formation. Torsion of the nodal stem has all the symptoms of an acute abdomen: pain on palpation of the abdomen, tension in the anterior abdominal wall, increased body temperature. Torsion of the legs causes necrosis of the myoma node due to circulatory disorders, and lower abdominal pain. The pain is increasing and can cause shock, loss of consciousness. This type of fibroids can, with a certain size, grow into the pelvic cavity, cause constipation, impaired urination.
Submucous Myoma is a tumor-like formation that grows in the lumen of the uterus from the depth of the smooth muscle layer of the uterus, towards the endometrium. This type of nodes is quite common, occurs in 30% of patients who have been diagnosed with uterine fibroids. Submucous nodules tend to grow rapidly, are one of the causes of frequent miscarriages, placental abruption during pregnancy, and premature birth. The development of submucous formation is accompanied by prolonged menstruation with copious discharge of blood with clots, bloody discharge between menstruation, headache, weakness, fatigue. Often develops iron deficiency anemia, tachycardia, shortness of breath. A woman feels a different intensity of pain in the lower abdomen; back pain is inherent in myoma.
Interstitial Myoma is located in the middle layer of the uterus muscles or its cervix, most cases are localized in the body and only in 5% of cases there is a lesion of the muscle layer of the cervix. This type of tumor-like formation may not manifest itself for a long time and is not clinically detectable. With the growth of fibroids, discomfort increases, the size of the reproductive organ increases, myomatous nodes put pressure on the intestines, bladder, and the stomach begins to hurt. Large fibroids can be accompanied by fever and severe acute pain, if there is a violation of blood circulation in the formation. Large myoma nodes, compressing the hollow inferior vein, can cause tachycardia and shortness of breath in a woman, make it difficult to urinate, defecate, cause an abortion, severe abdominal pain. The interstitial type is accompanied by heavy menstruation, dizziness, headache and fainting, contributes to the development of iron deficiency anemia, can cause deformation of the genital organ, deformity of the fallopian tubes, lead to infertility.
In relation to the axis of the uterus, fibroids can be corporal, cervical, or cervical. Corporal grows in the body of the uterus, cervical grows in the direction of the vagina. Severe pain and impaired urination causes the cervical myoma, cervical often contributes to the development of infectious complications.
Diagnosis of fibroids
Diagnosis at an early stage of node development is possible with the help of ultrasound, which is carried out using a transvaginal sensor. Depending on the condition of the patient and her complaints, the doctor prescribes a laboratory and instrumental examination:
- A woman's cervix is examined with a mirror.
- A sampling is done - microflora, bacteriological culture, cytology and others.
- Manually determined the size of the reproductive organ, its density, the degree of deformation of the body.
- Laboratory tests of blood and urine are prescribed.
The doctor may prescribe a histological examination, MRI of the pelvis, transabdominal ultrasound. A clear picture of the structure of the genital organ and ovaries is possible using transvaginal ultrasound. The sensor is inserted into the vagina and the image enters the computer screen. Ultrasound can determine the nodes of small size.
How to get rid of abdominal pain with myoma
Severe pain in myoma signals an increase in its size, squeezing of neighboring organs, vessels, necrosis of a tumor-like formation. For the treatment of nodes there are several ways:
- Conservative treatment.
- EMA (uterine artery embolization).
Conservative treatments include hormone therapy. Hormone therapy may consist of several hormonal drugs, as well as tools that facilitate the patient's condition - painkillers, immunomodulatory drugs.
Surgical treatment is indicated for large sizes of fibroids, complicated by bleeding, infection, fast-growing fibroids, necrosis of fibroids, expressed dysfunction of other organs under the influence of fibroids.
EMA is a bloodless, gentle method of treating nodes of various sizes by stopping the blood supply to a tumor-like formation. A special catheter with balls of medical polymer is inserted through the puncture of the femoral artery. The surgeon advances the catheter to the desired location of the vascular system and pushes the polymer balls. They penetrate the small vessels of formation, accumulate and block blood circulation. Tumor formation dies during the day, turning into connective tissue. A small puncture is closed with a sterile napkin, secured with a medical adhesive plaster. Uterine artery embolization is completed. The rehabilitation period is short, the patient is in the hospital for no more than a day.
If you are worried about lower abdominal pain, pain is cramping or cramping, gives to the lower back, the menstrual cycle has changed, the menstruation has become more abundant - pass the diagnosis of fibroids.
Why does uterine fibroids hurt
Almost all women experience discomfort during the period of illness. There are several causes for pain:
- most often the level of pain depends on the volume of myoma node. Immediately after it reaches a certain size, a pressing effect is created on the walls of the uterus, as well as organs located nearby. It brings discomfort to the whole body. First of all, it affects the bladder,
- myoma nodes grow and transform,
- Much depends on the characteristic features of the tumor. Its symptoms depend on the type of fibroids. It is for this reason that one patient may feel pain in the lower abdomen, while the other will suffer from pain in the left side,
- fibroid pain syndrome may depend on the concentration of the female hormone in the blood (if the concentration has increased, the pain will be several times more noticeable),
- if during the period of the menstrual cycle, the endometrium is rejected with complications, this can lead to a sharp pulling pain: the blood will come out in clots, there is a possibility that there will be blood discharge “out of schedule”.
What are the pains in uterine myoma
Usually, in uterine myoma, the lower abdomen can hurt or the pain is felt in the side. The location of the pain is affected by the look of the tumor. Often it is felt in the back. The most important role is also assigned to the threshold of sensitivity, for each woman this question is strictly individual. The way a woman adjusts to uncomfortable feelings while waiting for an attack can either increase the pain or weaken it. You should not consider the slightest discomfort a pronounced symptom, it will only aggravate the situation.
This form is characterized by the location of the tumor in the submucous layer of the penis. In the case of fibroids of small size, there will be a pulling pain in the lower abdomen, and during the period of bleeding there will be sensations resembling contractions. The larger the tumor, the stronger the pain. This happens due to the fact that the fibroid begins to squeeze the veins and blood vessels. This has a negative effect on the tissues of the reproductive organ, they soon die off, and the painful sensations appear suddenly. The development of pathology affects the menstrual flow, they become more abundant and intensified during vigorous activity.
For subserous fibroids, the external side of the uterus (abdominal cavity) becomes the location. A distinctive feature of this type of fibroids is a long thin leg. In the initial stages, the tumor does not even remind of its existence. And as it develops, there is a feeling that the lower abdomen is bursting, sometimes this feeling is replaced by contractions. Symptoms may even be ordinary headaches.
Symptomatic features depend on the location of subserous fibroids:
- when it hits the front wall of the reproductive organ, a pressure is created in the stomach. In such a situation, the effect of fibroids is particularly strong on the bladder, it squeezes it. As a result, urinary urges become more frequent, the liver may be sore, and the kidneys will suffer. When the tumor reaches a large size, it leads to stagnation of urine, which leads to the appearance of stones in the kidneys and bladder,
- If myoma infects the back wall of the uterus, it creates a pressing effect on the rectum, which is rich in nerve fibers. In such a situation, pain may appear in the lower back, coccyx and buttocks. Some patients also hurt their legs and chest. To identify the cause of such symptoms can only be consulted with a doctor,
- the variant of twisting the long and thin legs of subserous fibroids around its own axis is possible. This is followed by sharp pain.
The location of this type of tumor, most often, is the myometrium - the muscular layer of the uterus. Does interstitial myoma cause pain? Yes, immediately after the growing size of the fibroids, the adjacent organs are squeezed. As the process progresses, symptoms of the disease appear. Inadequate blood supply to the tissues of organs located in the small pelvis leads to a pulling pain in the lower abdomen, it often extends to the lower back and sacral region. A woman may doubt whether pain in the abdomen is associated with a tumor.
Than anesthetize myoma
There are several methods that can eliminate the pain in uterine myoma. Firstly, it is necessary to conduct a full gynecological and ultrasound examination, and we should not forget about the delivery of all necessary tests. The treatment process in this pathology may be accompanied by the appointment of certain anesthetic and analgesic drugs.Medications that relieve pain, you need to choose carefully and carefully.
Non-steroidal anti-inflammatory drugs will help get rid of the pain, even at home. Paracetamol, Meloxicam, Ibuprofen - an indicative list of analgesics that are allowed for independent use and can numb the myoma. But it is important not to forget that the side effects are present in all medicines. Long-term use of nonsteroidal anti-inflammatory drugs may result in the development of gastritis or nonsteroidal gastric ulcer. For this reason, the maximum daily dose should be strictly observed. You cannot take painkillers for uterine cancer for a long time.
Changing lifestyle and nutrition
Physical activity can raise the overall tone, and if you adhere to a balanced diet, it will be a preventive measure against constipation and swelling. The pressure effect on the node may occur due to swollen loops of the intestines and an expanded ampulla of the rectum. For this reason, adhering to the right lifestyle can alleviate the situation.
Autotraining can assist in controlling mental balance. As a result, the perception of pain, the intensity of which is quite small, will change. It is also worth resorting to yoga, only exercises should be simple and not bring discomfort. Otherwise, possible complications. Excellent performance show swimming and horse riding, however, only in an integrated approach.
Prevention methods to prevent the appearance of a tumor
A healthy lifestyle is required to prevent a tumor. But not only proper nutrition and physical activity are major factors. There are specific actions that are aimed at preventing the disease:
- abortion can contribute to the appearance of fibroids, so you need to exert maximum efforts to eliminate this possibility. The use of modern contraceptives, the systematic correction of hormonal disruptions, timely treatment of inflammatory gynecological diseases - all this will help to avoid abortion,
- regular visits to the gynecologist are the most important preventive method,
- A woman should visit the doctor every six months. In some cases, it is impossible to do without ultrasound, so you should not ignore this procedure. This will help identify the fibroids at an early stage and, as a consequence, start treatment on time,
- breastfeeding for about six months after the birth of a child will positively affect the psychological state of the woman and will be able to normalize hormones. It must be remembered that precisely because of hormonal disorders, uterine fibroids can develop,
- with regular sex life the risk of the disease is much less. Sex is a preventive measure for genital tumors. Doctors agree that sex life is in some way a natural cure for many diseases.
Causes of pain in uterine myoma
This disease is not always accompanied by painful symptoms. At small sizes, a tumor can provoke only changes in the course of menstruation. They become painful, affect the duration of the cycle and the characteristics of the discharge. With an increase in the tumor, other discomfort appears.
Does uterine fibroids hurt? Mostly yes. Usually the problem occurs in such cases:
- An enlarged tumor presses on the uterus itself, causing pain. As well as an enlarged uterus begins to put pressure on nearby organs, thereby delivering a feeling of discomfort. This is especially felt on the bladder.
- A tumor can grow day-to-day and change, thereby increasing pain.
- Depending on which part of the uterus the tumor is located, the pain will change. If it is located at the top of the organ, the pain may be felt closer to the umbilical region. She can also give back. If the formation is located below, then, as a rule, the lower abdomen hurts with uterine myoma. If there is a tumor on the side, then the side area will hurt.
- If a woman's hormonal level changes, then the pain can change. With an increase in female hormones, discomfort only increases.
- When menstruation occurs, rejection of endometrial cells occurs, they disturb the tumor, thereby increasing the pain syndrome. Clots appear in the discharge. If the tumor interferes with the exit of the detached cells, the menstruation may be delayed, and the bleeding may also be in the middle of the menstrual cycle.
- When the tumor is located on the pedicle, it can twist during movements, thereby delivering unpleasant sensations.
- After examination at the gynecologist may also experience pain. Since during the examination the doctor presses on the uterus, respectively, and on the tumor.
- Heavy physical exertion or rough sex can also cause this symptom in a woman.
Pain can be a constant aching in nature, and may be paroxysmal. It depends on what caused them. The nature depends on the size of the fibroids, where it is located, how the inflammatory process proceeds.
How to reduce and relieve pain
Many women know whether the stomach hurts with uterine myoma. Before proceeding with the treatment and removal of pain, the gynecologist must determine the size of the fibroids, where it is located exactly, whether there is growth in education. For this purpose, a whole complex is assigned in surveys (examination, analyzes, ultrasound). Means for relieving pain syndromes are divided into types:
- Those that can be purchased at a pharmacy without a doctor's prescription. These are common painkillers. But keep in mind that the regular intake of drugs can affect a woman’s health negatively. They irritate the stomach, can disrupt the work of the digestive tract. Also, some drugs tend to accumulate in the body and cause poisoning. Therefore, even the usual "Paracetamol" is recommended to be taken on prescription.
- With severe discomfort, the doctor may prescribe stronger painkillers, which can only be obtained by prescription.
- You can use hormone therapy. It helps to reduce the size of the tumor, thereby reducing pain. Non-steroidal anti-inflammatory drugs are usually prescribed.
- It is recommended to take sedatives, as women can often wind themselves up, thus they will feel even the slightest pain three times stronger. It is necessary to calm the nervous system.
- To relieve pain, it is recommended to apply heat to the stomach. This will expand the vessels and relieve tension in the muscles.
Proper lifestyle is important in fibroids.
To help relieve pain in the lower abdomen with uterine myoma will help the correct lifestyle. This requires daily moderate exercise. They contribute to increased blood supply, which helps relieve pain. If possible, spend more time in nature. Fresh air is useful for any diseases. Be sure to change the diet. Try not to overeat, so that the digestive organs do not put pressure on the enlarged uterus.
Regular sex life
Mandatory regular sex, but not too active, so that there are no injuries. When intima increases blood flow, which already leads to a reduction in pain. And the hormone of happiness is released, which also helps to reduce pain. This method will help even if the lower back hurts with uterine myoma, as the blood supply improves throughout the body. This method may not be suitable if the tumor has reached a large size, and sexual contact causes discomfort.
These methods help to temporarily suppress the pain, but will not cure the disease itself. Therefore, it is recommended to visit the gynecologist at the first symptoms and start therapy. Otherwise, complications may occur.
In case of late or incorrect treatment, the following complications may occur:
- Disruption of the normal functioning of the reproductive organs. That is, problems with conception, miscarriages are possible.
- The tumor of the tumor is twisted. In this case, the pain becomes pulling in nature.
- Uterine inflammation.
- Necrosis. It provokes the death of affected cells. There is a sharp pain.
Pain after surgery
Often, the only treatment option may be surgery. Pain after removal of uterine fibroids for some time still present. But it is more pain from the operation and from the harm that it caused to nearby organs. After some time, the syndrome disappears, and the normal functioning of the organs is restored.
If the disease is severely neglected, the woman may lose the main reproductive organ (uterus) and become infertile. It is for this reason that you should not start the disease, you need to be under the constant supervision of a doctor. The task of the gynecologist is to prevent the growth of the tumor, to help the woman to deal with pain without harm to her health.
Before you think about whether uterine fibroids hurt, women should make sure that the risk of its occurrence is minimal. If there is a genetic predisposition, then do not miss visits to the gynecologist. It is necessary to visit the examination room twice a year.
In the presence of the slightest changes that fit the definition of uterine fibroids, even if there is no pain, you should consult a doctor. The main symptom is usually a change in the flow of menstruation. They may start prematurely or linger. The first and last days instead of the normal menstruation, there are brown highlights on the underwear. Further there are plentiful monthly with a strong pain syndrome.
If there are suspicions of fibroids, then you should not begin to suppress the pain yourself. Only a doctor can find the right painkillers. Since it is sometimes impossible to eliminate the syndrome without potent drugs, and light anesthetics will have to be taken by handfuls, so the digestive tract will quickly be damaged.
We found out why uterine fibroids hurt. Now consider some tips. Doctors recommend following a few rules to reduce the risk of fibroids:
- try to avoid stress at home and at work
- do not carry heavy weights and avoid hard work
- monitor health and strengthen immunity in a timely manner,
- sex should be regular and with a regular partner,
- try to spend less time in too hot baths, saunas and sunbathe on the beach for a long time,
- stick to a healthy diet, since overweight is the most common cause of many diseases,
- eradicate a sedentary lifestyle, go for a run or walk,
- it is advisable to use alcoholic beverages only on holidays, it is recommended to refuse smoking,
- protect themselves in a timely manner, since unwanted pregnancy, or rather abortion, can be the cause of the onset of tumor development,
- after childbirth, a woman should breastfeed her baby for at least six months;
- be sure to observe intimate hygiene,
- avoid hypothermia, as this can cause inflammation of the appendages, and they can also trigger the onset of fibroids.
A correct lifestyle and regular check-ups with a doctor will help a woman to preserve the health and ability to bear children.
Why does myoma hurt?
It is important to understand: the tumor itself cannot hurt. Small fibroids up to 20 mm in size do not bother a woman and do not interfere with normal life. Such formations are called clinically insignificant. Small fibroids do not interfere with conceiving and carrying a child, do not change the menstrual cycle, and do not require conservative or surgical treatment.
Problems arise when the tumor grows and reaches 3-4 cm in diameter. This formation in the thickness of the muscle layer of the uterus leads to pain, as well as changes in the menstrual cycle. Menstruation becomes abundant and long, there are acyclic bleeding or even bleeding. All these symptoms in combination with pain should be a reason for seeking medical attention.
In case of acute pain in the lower abdomen, you should immediately call an ambulance!
Possible nature of pain
Pain syndrome in myoma is characterized by the appearance of a wide variety of unpleasant sensations. The nature, intensity and location will depend on such factors:
- Location of myoma node: in the muscular, submucosal or subserous layer. We wrote about the characteristic features of different types of nodes in a separate article,
- Tumor size: large nodes are more likely to be felt by pain,
- The number of nodes: the more of them, the higher the likelihood of bright symptoms,
- The presence of comorbidities: with the simultaneous development of endometriosis or endometrial hyperplasia, the pain can be more intense,
- The course of the disease: with or without complications
- Individual threshold of sensitivity.
When a pain syndrome occurs, a woman should consult a doctor to determine its cause.
By the nature of the pain syndrome, one can judge the course of the disease, as well as suggest the development of complications.
Option number 1: uncomplicated uterine fibroids
Characteristics of pain syndrome in uterine myoma, occurring without complications and comorbidity:
- Constant pain or immediately before menstruation, as well as during monthly bleeding
- Pulling, aching pain in the lower abdomen, radiating to the back, sacrum, tail bone, groin, left and right hypochondrium (depending on the location and size of the node),
- Unpleasant sensations of weak or moderate intensity.
The change in the intensity or localization of pain indicates the development of complications and is the reason for an urgent visit to the doctor.
Blood circulation failure
Even a small tumor of the uterus can put pressure on the blood vessels, pinching them and causing a malfunction of the node. The larger the diameter of fibroids, the higher the likelihood of necrosis. According to statistics, the frequency of complications reaches 7%.
There are two main reasons for this condition:
- Ischemia fibroids (occurs with the rapid growth of interstitial formations),
- Torsion of the tumor's legs (noted at the subserous location of the node).
The risk of necrosis of fibroids increases significantly during pregnancy due to a decrease in blood flow in the tumor.
This is how a myoma node on the leg looks during laparasopic surgery.
Impaired blood supply to fibroids leads to its necrosis and the appearance of severe pain in the lower abdomen. The pain arises suddenly against the background of complete well-being and becomes almost unbearable. Unpleasant sensations are accompanied by other symptoms:
- Tension of the abdominal wall,
- Nausea and vomiting,
- Retention of urination and defecation,
- Possible increase in body temperature.
When these symptoms appear, emergency hospitalization in the hospital is indicated, and surgical treatment is the removal of a necrotic site or the entire uterus. The volume of the operation is determined by the severity of the process and the area of the lesion.
Nasal myoma node
Submucous myoma is a tumor that grows towards the endometrium. Often, such nodes are connected with the muscular layer only by a thin leg, so they can go into the uterine cavity and even fall out of the vagina. At birth, a knot appears intense cramping pain in the lower abdomen, extending into the perineum. There are bloody discharge, there is marked weakness, tachycardia, a decrease in blood pressure on the background of blood loss. Treatment only surgical - removal of the nascent node by hysteroscopic access.
Subserous myoma: A - in the bottom of the uterus, B - the emerging myomatous node.
A tumor growing in the submucosal layer of the uterus, makes itself felt by pain in the lower abdomen. Unpleasant sensations radiating to the crotch, occasionally in the tailbone or groin area. The pain is weak, almost not noticeable with myoma small size. With the growth of education, there is an increase in unpleasant sensations, the appearance of pulling and aching pains over the bosom. In most cases, discomfort worries only during menstruation and a few days before it, however, with large tumor sizes, the pain syndrome can become permanent.
The pain in uterine submucous myoma is very similar to algomenorrhea, which occurs in many practically healthy women during menstruation. To distinguish the usual discomfort in menstruation from the pathological process associated with the formation of a tumor is quite difficult. And in fact, and in another case, the appearance of pain in the first days of the cycle: pulling, aching, less often cramping. Discomfort persists for 2-3 days, then gradually subsides.
If the pain during menstruation significantly changed their nature or other disturbing symptoms joined, you should consult a doctor to exclude the presence of uterine fibroids.
The following symptoms may indicate the presence of uterine fibroids:
- The pain persists for more than 3 days and / or does not subside near the end of the menstrual flow,
- Discomfort occurs not only during menstruation, but on any day of the cycle,
- Боль существовала не всегда (то есть не с первой менструации), а появилась в зрелом возрасте,
- Неприятные ощущения усиливаются спустя несколько месяцев или лет, что указывает на рост опухоли,
- The pain is accompanied by uterine bleeding, an increase in the size of the abdomen, impaired urination and bowel movements. Such symptoms do not always talk about the development of fibroids, but in any case, they need to consult a doctor. The final diagnosis can be made during ultrasound, hysteroscopy and other studies according to indications.
According to many women, submucous fibroids usually hurt just before the critical days and for the first three days, after which the discomfort subsides. In some cases, the pain is well relieved by antispasmodics, in others the usual drugs do not help. It is worth noting that these symptoms occur in other genital pathologies, so you cannot do without consulting a doctor.
Related symptoms of the disease
Large tumors lead to a significant increase in the uterus, which inevitably affects the health of the woman. The uterus presses on the abdominal organs, props up the diaphragm, which provokes the appearance of various unpleasant symptoms:
- The pain under the right rib during compression of the bile ducts and dysfunction of the gallbladder
- Shortness of breath and difficulty breathing with pressure on the diaphragm,
- Heartburn and belching in violation of the stomach,
- Pain around the navel, in the left or right side during bowel compression, violation of its patency, chronic constipation,
- Disruption of the heart due to increased stress on the body.
Localization of large subserous fibroids to the right may be accompanied by pain in the right hypochondrium and cause symptoms associated with dysfunction of the gallbladder.
With the development of such complications from fibroids need to get rid of as soon as possible. Such a tumor threatens the health and even the life of a woman, and in no case should you leave it.
Quite often, chest pain appears on the background of uterine fibroids (predominantly in the second phase of the cycle, just before menstruation or during monthly bleeding). Is there a relationship? Chest pain does not cause uterine swelling, but concomitant mastopathy. It is known that benign changes in the mammary glands and uterus are associated with hyperestrogenic, therefore they often go together and make themselves felt at about the same age. In this situation, consultation is required not only by the gynecologist, but also by the breast specialist.
Myoma headaches do not occur and are associated with comorbidities.
Due to the hormonal imbalance, in addition to the development of fibroids, various changes in the mammary glands are possible: from the formation of cysts to the proliferation of fibrous tissue.
Pain in myoma during pregnancy: a threat to the mother and fetus
According to statistics, up to 4% of all women bear a child against the background of fibroids. Answers to questions about the effect of myoma nodes on pregnancy can be found in a separate article. A tumor may behave differently:
- Small myoma nodes stabilize in size or regress, there is no pain syndrome,
- Uterine fibroids of medium size usually decreases slightly (in 8-27% of women), moderate abdominal pain persists,
- Large nodes continue to grow, but only slightly (by no more than 25% during pregnancy), pain may increase,
- Interstitial nodes are often subjected to necrosis due to reduced blood circulation, which leads to the appearance of severe cramping pain.
According to reviews, many women note that during pregnancy myoma behaves the same way as before conceiving a child. Moderate nagging pains in the lower abdomen and in the back do not interfere with the bearing of the fetus, although they may be mistaken for signs of a miscarriage or premature birth. In some patients, there is a complete disappearance of the symptoms of the disease. The pain returns after childbirth, along with the restoration of the menstrual cycle.
Uterine fibroids can make themselves felt moderate pain already in the first trimester, but more often unpleasant sensations occur in the second half of pregnancy. If the pain increases and becomes cramping, it is necessary to urgently consult a doctor.
There is an opinion that the tumor of the uterus provokes toxemia in the early stages and gestosis in the later periods. Scientists could not find a connection between these states and myoma, so today this theory has not been proven.
During pregnancy, it is necessary to monitor the condition of the fibroids and, if anxious symptoms appear, consult a doctor immediately.
They relieve muscle spasm, relax the uterus, eliminate discomfort. A good effect is seen when prescribed during menstruation and a few days before. Can be used during pregnancy from early stages as drugs that are safe for a growing fetus.
Examples: Drotaverinum (No-shpa), papaverine.
The scheme of application: 1 tablet inside with pain 2-3 times a day. May be administered intramuscularly (in a hospital). The course of therapy is up to 7 days.
Nonsteroidal anti-inflammatory drugs
They block the production of prostaglandins - substances that cause pain and inflammation. Act quickly, work within 4-12 hours, allowing you to reduce pain in fibroids both during menstruation and on other days of the cycle. Pregnant women are appointed only according to strict indications and mainly in the II trimester.
Examples: ibuprofen (Nurofen), paracetamol, diclofenac.
Scheme of application: inside or intramuscularly strictly according to the instruction, without exceeding the specified dosage. Self-admission course - up to 3 days. If the pain persists, further use of NSAIDs is possible only in consultation with the doctor.
Funds on the basis of dipyrone cause a large number of side effects, therefore, are appointed only for special reasons and under the supervision of a specialist.
To relieve pain in myoma help and hormonal drugs. Medicines selected by the doctor reduce the diameter of the tumor, eliminate pain and associated symptoms. Combined oral contraceptives are prescribed for young women with fibroids. These drugs reduce blood loss during menstruation, stabilize the level of progesterone and estrogen, which also helps to reduce pain.
It is important to understand that all painkillers can only temporarily save a woman from unpleasant manifestations of the disease. The absence of pain does not mean that the problem is solved. For a complete treatment of fibroids, hormonal drugs are used or the question of surgery is raised.
Why does myoma have abdominal or lower back pain?
Many women who have been diagnosed with uterine fibroids complain of recurrent pain that bother them. Some women begin to experience pain even in the presence of small fibroids, others have soreness when the tumor becomes large. In fact, there are not many causes that cause pain, they include the following:
1 Sizes of education. After the tumor grows to a large size, it causes discomfort to the neighboring organs, disrupting the blood supply and their work. First of all, in this case the bladder starts to suffer, as it is located near the uterus,
2 If there is a myomatous submucosa, it can cause pain,
3 Types of fibroids. Depending on the type of fibroids present, a painful syndrome arises in varying degrees. Even if a woman has pain in the head, it may indicate the presence in the uterus education, which needs research and further therapy.
As a result of long clinical studies, experts were able to determine what the nature of the pain directly depends on the type of fibroids. For this reason, if there is one type of education, a woman may develop a pulling pain in the lumbar region, and if there is another, pain in the left side and buttock.
What to do, how to get rid of pain in the lower abdomen with uterine myoma?
Unfortunately, at a certain stage of the disease, a painful symptom accompanies almost any type of fibroid. Only after the examination and delivery of all necessary tests only the doctor is able to make a decision on the appointment of painkillers to the woman. Do not try to ask about painkillers with relatives or girlfriends, wondering how they got rid of the pain, even if they themselves were diagnosed with fibroids. Each of the courses for treatment of fibroids should be administered exclusively on an individual basis, so you can cause irreparable harm to your health, not alleviating your condition, but only making it worse. In the event that a woman has severe uterine fibroids, causing her anxiety, the doctor may decide on a surgical intervention to remove it. But in any case, all decisions in this case should only be made by a doctor, because self-treatment in this situation can lead to irreversible consequences.
What can be pain in uterine myoma, types of pain
One of the characteristic symptoms of benign tumors in the uterus is severe pain. What causes them and where are they mostly localized? Such questions are faced by the majority of patients who have been diagnosed with this ailment. Uterine fibroids is a benign neoplasm located in the uterine muscle layer - myometrium. Growing up, it provokes the occurrence of painful sensations in the pelvic area, giving the lower back, buttocks or legs. And the larger the size of fibroids, the more intense the pain becomes. Strengthen the pain can be several factors:
1 twisting the myoma leg,
2 pressure of the neoplasm on the nearby internal organs, which may contribute to the violation of their functioning.
Painful sensations in uterine myoma, depending on its size and location, may acquire a different character: aching, pulling, sharp, cramping. In addition, the nature of the pain is greatly influenced by the type of neoplasm.
Does myoma node hurt?
Some women, faced with this disease, are wondering: does the fibroid itself hurt? Specialists answer this question negatively, but with a small amendment: a neoplasm can only be ill if its legs are twisted, as a result of which necrosis of the fibroids develops. At the same time, the patient has a picture typical of the "acute abdomen" and cannot cope in such a situation without the emergency help of the surgeon.
But in most cases, the pain occurs due to the pressure of myoma node on the adjacent organs.
Pain relievers for uterine myoma
The pain syndrome triggered by uterine myoma often becomes so intense that it affects the quality of life of a woman. Most experts do not recommend to endure the pain, but to resort to the help of painkillers. The choice of medication should be provided to a qualified doctor who will take into account all contraindications and select the best option. It should be borne in mind that most drugs are not recommended to be taken during the period of carrying a child, since this may affect its development in the future. If a woman is not pregnant, then the gynecologist may select a suitable drug, which, depending on the nature of the pain, will have a strong or weak effect on the body. The first group of drugs include Ketanov, CigaPan, Diclofenac, Tramal and others. Slightly weaker effect will be from the use of drugs containing ibuprofen and paracetamol, such as Nurofen or Panadol. However, these drugs have certain advantages: they can be purchased at any pharmacy without a prescription from a doctor and taken several times a day.
It is recommended to stop acute pains with the help of injections of Analgin or Naklofen. This manipulation after a few minutes will allow a woman to forget about the discomfort and return to the usual way of life.
Can the pain from uterine fibroids go to the back?
As mentioned earlier, the pain in the presence of uterine fibroids can be given in the back, for the most part it concerns the lower back. Violations of the hormonal background lead to changes in the structure of the myometrium, the growth of myoma nodes, an increase in the uterus and its deformation. The presence of large fibroids makes it difficult to reject the endometrium during menstruation, which provokes painful sensations both in the lower abdomen and in the back. In addition to pain, menstruation with myoma becomes prolonged in nature, as a result of which a woman has all the signs of anemia, there is rapid fatigue, and her working capacity decreases.
Back pain with fibroids should be a reason for seeking medical help. The nature and localization of such painful sensations can be varied. Some patients describe pain as pulling and draining, others as harsh and cramping. Often it is given in the rectum or in the lower extremities. The sensations experienced by the woman are directly related to the size of the myoma node and its location in the uterine cavity. In addition, the presence and intensity of pain affects:
1 necrosis of a neoplasm as a result of the twisting of its legs,
2 violation of blood flow,
3 active growth of myoma node,
4 pressure on adjacent internal organs.
Localization of fibroids has a characteristic clinical picture. So, myoma, located on the anterior wall of the uterus, as a rule, provokes painful sensations similar to the symptoms of renal colic. At the same time, urination is disturbed and there are problems with the functioning of the kidneys, which provokes the appearance of pain in the lower back.
The formation of fibroids on the back wall leads to constipation, the appearance of pain in the back with the transition to the buttocks and lower limbs. Some fibroids are located on a thin base, which as a result of its mobility often leads to the twisting of the node and its subsequent death. The clinical picture is clearly pronounced: the patient has complaints of sharp pain, nausea, vomiting, chills, dry mouth, a violation of the stool and urination. This requires emergency hospitalization and surgery, since this condition is very dangerous for a woman’s life.
The nature of pain in the form of fibroids
Pain - a specific symptom, in each situation manifests itself in different ways. It depends on the patient's sensitivity threshold, her psychological attitude, the size of fibroids, localization and other factors. However, women cannot always clearly describe how it hurts and where. The following sensations arise:
- sharp pains
- cutting pains
- dull pains.
Can occur with pressure (or without) in the lower abdomen, to the left or right of the navel, from the side, behind. The patient experiences discomfort due to a number of reasons. Myomatous node, reaching a certain size and transforming, begins to put pressure on neighboring organs. This situation is accompanied not only by pain, but also by disorders in the gastrointestinal tract, the urinary system (problems with urination, defecation) of a woman.
The neoplasm may cause complications in the process of rejection of the endometrium during menstruation, which is accompanied by acute, pulling pain. Increased discomfort is observed due to increased levels of sex hormones in a woman's body. Clotted blood discharge comes out of the uterus, acyclic bleeding appears. Some patients complain that their chest begins to hurt.
Pain syndrome appears in case of malnutrition of myoma node (squeezing, leg twisting, nodular bend). Characteristic of subserous formation that develops into the abdominal cavity. Most often occurs during sharp corners of the hull, bends, during pregnancy. Accompanied by tissue necrosis, edema.
Submucous type pain
A tumor that develops under the mucous membrane of the uterus (endometrium) lining the internal surface of an organ is called submucous or submucosa.
Even an insignificant neoplasm of submucous type is accompanied by constant aching or cramping pain. The larger myoma node, the stronger the discomfort.
Symptomatology is exacerbated when myoma reaches a significant size and begins to squeeze blood vessels, which are many in the mucosal layer. Impaired blood flow causes necrotic processes.
Often in patients with submucous myoma the question arises whether the lower back can hurt. If you do not start treatment in time, the disease begins to progress, the level of estrogen in the blood of a woman rises, which contributes to the growth of endometrial cells, the chaotic formation of its “lumps” that later exfoliate. This process is accompanied by sharp pains radiating to the lumbar region.
Another painful phenomenon characteristic of submucous fibroids on a thin peduncle (stalked) is the “birth” of the node into the vagina. Arises sharply, crampingly, in the lower abdomen, often when lifting weights, menstruation, physical exertion. This pathology is eliminated surgically.
В процессе развития стебельчатой миомы, ножка может перекрутиться у основания, что приводит к нарушению кровоснабжения и питания опухоли. Патология сопровождается сильными, острыми головными болями и внизу живота, тошнотой, рвотой, высокой температурой.
Боли при субсерозном виде
In case of subserous myoma, which originates on the outer part of the genital organ, the size of the formation and its location are of particular importance. At the initial stage, the pathology develops asymptomatically, and painful sensations appear when the tumor reaches a critical size.
Localization of such a node on the anterior wall of the uterus causes compression of the bladder, unpleasant manifestations, as in renal colic. The urge to urinate becomes more frequent, the process becomes difficult. Prolonged stagnation of urine leads to urolithiasis, disrupts the liver and kidneys.
Attaching to the back of the outer part of the body, accompanied by pressure on the rectum, where many nerve endings, constipation and constant pain in the lumbar spine, buttocks, coccyx, and even the legs and chest. In this case, the tumor can pinch the blood vessels that feed the lower limbs.
If the node grows on the leg, its torsion causes pain, and subsequent pathological processes, gives the woman additional health problems.
Pain in interstitial uterine myoma
Myomatous nodes developing inside the uterine walls (muscle layer) cause uterine hyperplasia. Reaching significant volumes, cause compression of nearby organs. In this case, the woman feels like pulling the lower abdomen. Interstitial uterine myoma pain may radiate to the sacrum and lower back. Often a woman takes these signs for the manifestation of another disease.
Elimination of pain syndrome
To get rid of the negative symptoms of uterine fibroids, the patient needs to undergo a comprehensive examination. Only on the basis of the results obtained can the doctor determine which treatment course to choose, prescribe medications or instrumental procedures. Independent searches, than to anesthetize, can have negative consequences.
Moderate pain can be removed with nonsteroidal anti-inflammatory drugs (Ibuprofen, Paracetamol). Such analgesics are available in any pharmacy without a prescription, but do not forget about contraindications, side effects and adherence to the treatment regimen. Long-term use of such medications adversely affects the gastrointestinal tract, causing gastritis and ulcers.
Hormone therapy is the main treatment for benign tumors in the uterus. Usually, they are prescribed Goserelin, Triptorelin, Leuprorelin, Mifepristone, Buserelin, which affect the hormones of a woman, induce artificial menopause and help to stop the development of fibroids.
In some cases, you may need to use sedatives. They do not have an analgesic effect, but reduce psychological stress, stabilize the emotional state of the patient. Appointed before surgical procedures.
Heat applied to the lower abdomen promotes rapid muscle relaxation, increased blood circulation, and anesthesia. To do this, you can use an electric heating pad or rubber with warm water, a compress. Heat exposure lasts on average 10 minutes, after which the skin needs a short break to cool. You can take a warm (not hot!) Bath. But any massage with the use of warming rubbing like Menovazin, undesirable with myoma.
General overheating of the body (ultraviolet, bath, sauna), increases metabolic processes. This leads to an active metabolism in the tumor cells, which accelerates its growth and increases the painful manifestations. Particular care should be taken by women with the arrival of summer. Open sun with uterine myoma is contraindicated. On the beach you can only be under a canopy, an umbrella or in the evening (morning) time.
Diet and healthy lifestyle
A healthy lifestyle is not only a preventive measure, but also an effective aid to women who have myoma education already diagnosed. Proper nutrition and sports raise the overall tone and maintain a normal weight of the patient. Overflowing intestinal loops cause additional pressure on the tumor and constipation.
Alcohol, red meat, sugar, carbohydrates should be excluded from the diet. It is better to give preference to vegetables, fruits, low-fat varieties of meat and fish, dairy products.
Exercise should be treated with caution. Women who suffer from pain, is contraindicated in severity of more than three kilograms. Raising more weight causes the abdominal muscles to tighten and increases intra-abdominal pressure. This will lead to malnutrition of myoma node subserous and interlinked type.
As an additional therapy, decoctions and infusions of medicinal herbs (hemlock, boron uterus, Rhodiola, and flaxseed) are used.
Sex as a treatment
Normalization of blood circulation in the pelvic organs improves the overall condition of the patient, helps relieve pain. Therefore, it is very important for a woman to have a regular sex life and make sure that sexual contact ends with an orgasm. Otherwise, there is no outflow of blood from the genital organs, which only provokes the development of tumors.
This advice makes sense when a woman does not feel discomfort. If pain occurs during intercourse or pressing on the lower abdomen - this is an alarming symptom, which must be reported to your doctor.
Relaxation and meditation
Simple relaxation will help to relieve tension and unpleasant feelings. It is enough for a woman to lie on her back, putting a pillow or a roller out of a blanket under her knees. Watch your breathing, it should be smooth and deep, the muscles relaxed.
More complex methods include meditation, visualization, auto-training, biofeedback. It is better to master these techniques with a trainer so that they bring maximum benefit.
Peace of mind and inner harmony will help a woman accept the fact of the disease and cope with it. This is good yoga therapy, but here it is important to choose the right set of exercises. Not all postures (asanas) are suitable for women with uterine myoma.
Modern medicine offers women minimally invasive methods of dealing with myomatous nodes: uterine artery embolization and FUS ablation. In addition, held:
- radiofrequency ablation.
If a woman has been diagnosed with uterine fibroids, it is better not to wait for her to resolve, but to begin treatment immediately. The bigger the tumor, the harder it is to get rid of it. Pathology is especially dangerous for future mothers, causing not only difficulties in the process of gestation (uterus tone, miscarriages), but also abnormalities in the development of the child (hip dysplasia, skull deformity, etc.). Regular gynecological examination and ultrasound of the pelvic organs will help in time to detect and eliminate fibroids.