Violations of the menstrual cycle are the main signs of low progesterone levels: pain in the lower abdomen during menstruation, scanty and insignificant discharge, lack of menstruation. Low levels of this hormone can be the main reason why a woman cannot get pregnant. Progesterone deficiency is accompanied by the following symptoms: irritability, weight gain, hair loss, breast swelling, constant fatigue, mood swings, headaches, and excessive body hair growth.
The level of hormones in the female body may vary depending on the phase of the cycle, low values are observed before menstruation. If progesterone is low throughout the cycle, this should be a cause for concern. The reasons for reducing the level of hormones can be mass: stress, unhealthy diet. But mainly chronic diseases of the genitourinary sphere, taking certain medications (birth control pills including) have an effect.
For a natural increase in the level of this important hormone, you need to take vitamins B, E and C. No less important is zinc, which is found in large quantities in nuts, rabbit meat, sunflower and pumpkin seeds, wheat bran, beef liver and beans. Watch your own diet, it should be saturated with protein. Include in the menu more fish and meat products, soybeans and cereals, because the lack of progesterone can cause malnutrition.
Some herbs have a good progestogenic effect. To increase the content of this hormone in the blood, use the seeds of plantain and grass cuff. Get the right ingredients at the pharmacy. Mix a tablespoon of the cuff with a teaspoon of plantain seeds, cover with a glass of boiling water. Cover the dishes with a lid, wrap a towel, insist for half an hour. Strain, take 1 tablespoon three times a day.
Mix in equal proportions dry raspberry leaves and wild yam, put in a glass dish. 1 tablespoon of the cooked collection pour a glass of boiling water, leave in a thermos for several hours. Strained infusion take three times a day and 1 tablespoon before meals. After a few months of such treatment, an increase in progesterone level is observed.
Prutnyak's fruits will help to raise the level of the hormone. They need to wash, chop. Brew a couple of tablespoons of Prutnyak with a glass of boiling water, let it brew for 40 minutes, strain. Drink during the day in small sips.
Changes in progesterone levels
The concentration of this hormone in the blood varies depending on age. An increase in the level of the hormone begins in girls at puberty. In women of reproductive age, it remains approximately unchanged. The increase in concentration begins in early pregnancy, which allows the fertilized egg to firmly consolidate in the uterus. In the second half of pregnancy, the hormone is produced by the placenta.
During menopause (after about 45 years), progesterone levels begin to decline. With the extinction of the ovaries, the woman loses the ability to reproductive function.
Before deciding to increase the performance of the hormone, you must make sure that the negative symptoms and the deterioration of the psychological state are associated with its lack. For this, a woman receives a referral for a blood test. It is handed over on the 20th day of the cycle in the morning on an empty stomach. For an irregular menstrual cycle, for better confidence, you need to repeat the analysis.
If abnormalities are detected, treatment is prescribed.
The use of hormone replacement therapy
The patient may be recommended to review the lifestyle and quality of nutrition. But these measures are often not enough. To raise the level of progesterone hormone replacement therapy is used.
The most effective drugs that quickly stabilize the hormonal balance include:
- Natural progesterone. Form release - ampoules for intramuscular injection. Assign in the absence of menstruation, ovarian dysfunction, with the threat of miscarriage in early pregnancy.
- Utrozhestan. The release form - capsules for internal or intravaginal administration.
- Duphaston. It is a synthetic analogue of the natural hormone. It is used to normalize the menstrual cycle, eliminate premenstrual syndrome, with the threat of miscarriage in the early stages.
- Crinon gel for vaginal administration. Used to treat infertility caused by hormonal imbalance. The gel is administered in the evening from 18 to 22 day of the cycle.
- Inzhesta. Used to treat the absence of menstruation, dysfunctional uterine bleeding, endocrine sterility, miscarriage. The drug is intended for intramuscular or subcutaneous administration. Contraindicated in pathologies of the liver and kidneys, hepatitis, susceptibility to thrombosis, nervous disorders, malignant tumors.
It should be noted that taking progesterone drugs is contraindicated in the presence of malignant tumors, diabetes, cardiovascular diseases, mental disorders, obesity, as well as women who abuse smoking.
Preparations containing progesterone are available without a prescription, but before they are consumed, it is obligatory to consult a doctor who determines the duration of therapy and dosage. Self-medication can cause the opposite effect and be dangerous!
To normalize women's health, they also use herbal preparations.
Form release - pills or drops. It contains extracts of Abraham tree, cyclamen, chilibuch, iris and lily. The use of funds eliminates the negative effects of premenstrual syndrome, contributes to conception, regulates the menstrual cycle. In appointing the drug should be borne in mind that it contains ethyl alcohol.
Mastodinon take 30 drops or one tablet 2 times a day without interruption for the time of menstruation. The duration of treatment is three months, the first results are noticeable after six weeks of use.
Mastodinon contributes to the onset of pregnancy, but after the pregnancy has come, the method is canceled. The drug is not prescribed to adolescents, women with malignant tumors and lactose intolerance.
The drug is plant-based. The main active ingredient is Prutniak ordinary. Additional components - sorbitol, peppermint, ethyl alcohol, magnesium stearate, talc, purified water. The course of therapy is three to four months, 40 drops or one tablet per day. Reception is desirable to carry out in the morning. Sometimes, on the recommendation of a doctor, you need to extend the reception.
The drug is effective during pregnancy planning (increases fertility) and during menopause. In some cases, side effects may occur: headaches, nausea, skin rashes and itching, disorders of consciousness. If at least one of the symptoms listed above appears, Cyclodinone should be stopped and the doctor should feel unwell. The tool is not used in case of individual intolerance of its components, during pregnancy and lactation.
How to increase progesterone folk remedies?
After accurate diagnosis of a hormone deficiency with a slight decrease in it, medicinal herbs can be used.
It should be noted that it is better not to take herbal decoctions for women suffering from uterine bleeding, thrombosis, and oncological diseases. With care and under the supervision of a doctor, herbal treatment is practiced by pregnant women and women in the post-abortion period.
Minus the use of herbs - the inability to accurately calculate the dosage. In addition, the use of folk remedies will have patience, since the result of such treatment will be noticeable only a few months.
It is not recommended to carry out herbal treatment simultaneously with hormonal drugs.
Herbal infusions or decoctions are drunk in the second half of the menstrual cycle, from 15 to 25 days. To prepare the infusion take water temperature 80 ° C. The use of boiling water is undesirable.
The most common herbs that increase progesterone include:
- the nagil - normalizes hormonal balance, improves the functioning of the liver and endocrine system, prevents the development of stagnation in the pelvis,
- peony (marin root) - traditionally used to treat mastopathy, uterine fibroids, menopause symptoms,
- raspberry leaves - infusions of the plant eliminate the disruptions of the menstrual cycle, improve the psychological state, contribute to the growth of the endometrium necessary for successful conception, do not apply after the onset of pregnancy,
- cuff - relieves pain during menstruation, contributes to conception, the effectiveness of the plant increases in complex application with plantain extract,
- Borovoy uterus - used to treat fibroids, thyroid disorders, menstrual disorders and other diseases caused by lack of progesterone.
Pregnancy with low progesterone and how to increase it?
In the gestational period, there is a natural increase in progesterone levels. If in the first trimester its indicators are 90.0 ng / ml, then in the prenatal period they increase to 422.5 ng / ml. Lack of hormone adversely affects not only the well-being of women, but also on the development of the unborn child.
The deficiency leads to the fact that the woman's body begins to perceive the fetus as a foreign body, from which it is necessary to get rid of. In addition to spontaneous abortions, hormonal imbalance causes delayed fetus, lack of milk produced after birth.
For more information on how progesterone behaves during pregnancy and what its increase or decrease indicates, read our link here.
Signs of hormonal deficiency:
- painful feeling of pulling character
- hypertonus of the uterus,
- bleeding from the vagina of varying intensity,
- severe nausea, vomiting, dizziness.
Not all the recipes of traditional medicine are applicable for future mothers, so their appointment is carried out only by the attending physician!
Is it possible to increase progesterone naturally during pregnancy?
You can adjust the concentration of progesterone by adjusting the diet. The menu should always include dairy and dairy products, meat and fish, vegetables, nuts.
Products that increase progesterone do not contain it in its pure form, but they stimulate the body to produce its own hormone. If the deficit is insignificant, its level is well adjusted by a properly chosen diet.
A balanced diet should include foods rich in vitamins C, B6, magnesium, zinc in the menu:
- legumes (lentils, beans, peas, chickpeas),
- nuts (hazelnuts, peanuts, pistachios, cashews),
- lean meat, as a source of cholesterol (chicken, turkey, rabbit meat),
- dairy and dairy products, including hard cheeses and cottage cheese,
- fatty fish, fish oil,
- egg yolks,
- vegetables containing starch (radish, potatoes, cabbage, rutabaga, asparagus),
- foods high in vegetable fat (avocados, olives, corn),
- spices (oregano, turmeric, thyme),
- foods rich in zinc and magnesium (sunflower seeds, sprouted wheat, chocolate, seafood).
Semi-finished products, fast food are excluded from the diet. It is not recommended to eat products from plastic packaging, since such packaging promotes the penetration into them of substances that suppress the production of progesterone. Instead of plastic dishes should prefer glass or ceramic.
Of great importance to increase the concentration of progesterone is the use of a sufficient amount of vitamin E. Its reception should be mandatory for irregular periods, pregnancy planning, as well as during menopause. Vitamin E is used to reduce the severity of symptoms of premenstrual syndrome, disorders of the endocrine system, improve skin, hair and nails, improve immunity and protect against rapid aging.
To normalize the hormonal background should observe the following rules:
- Give up bad habits (smoking, alcohol).
- Avoid stressful situations and overwork.
- Limit contact with sources of xenoestrogens (paints, varnishes, plastics, products containing pesticides).
- Normalize the mode of work and rest.
- Minimize the use of coffee, carbonated beverages, sweets.
- Exclude promiscuous sexual relations that increase the risk of infection and, as a result, the oppression of the ovaries.
Careful attention to one's health, a balanced diet, refusal of bad habits and compliance with the regimen will have a positive effect on women's health. This means a happy motherhood, female attractiveness, the preservation of well-being over the years.
What is progesterone for a woman?
The main function of this progestogen is to ensure the normal course of pregnancy in the early stages. It performs the following tasks:
- starts the secretory stage of the formation of the endometrium for the successful implantation of the blastocyst,
- thickens the vaginal epithelium and cervical mucus, making them impermeable to sperm,
- reduces the mother's immune response to the attachment of the ovum so that it is not rejected,
- reduces the contractile activity of uterine myometrium (a decrease in the concentration of the hormone triggers labor activity),
- inhibits lactation during gestation (a decrease in the concentration of the hormone gives a signal to start milk production).
Where does the hormone come from and can it come from the outside?
Where is the hormone secreted? After the follicle is ruptured and the egg is released, a yellow body (VT) begins to form in the ovary. This is a temporary endocrine gland that produces progesterone. This progestogen in the woman’s body begins to be secreted in the luteal phase of the menstrual cycle, making fertilization possible. If conception did not occur, the corpus luteum regresses, and by the beginning of menstruation, the progestogen secretion is completed.
After fertilization, the corpus luteum continues to function and remains in working condition until the placenta is formed around the embryo. In the future, it is the placenta that assumes the function of the production of the progestogen, and the VT disappears.
What if a woman has progesterone deficiency? Doctors recommend taking progesterone. There are special drugs containing synthetic analogues of natural gestagens. In addition, some plant and animal products can increase the production of progesterone in the body.
How does progesterone deficiency affect the ability to conceive and pregnancy?
Lack of progesterone is one of the common causes of infertility and chronic miscarriage. Low progesterone has the following effects:
- the inability to conceive (the endometrium is not ready for the attachment of the blastocyst, and the fertilized egg, not entrenched in the uterus, is removed from the body),
- early miscarriages due to hypertonicity of the uterus or rejection of the embryo,
- premature labor caused by hypertonia.
Treatment of progesterone deficiency with medications
You can suspect progesterone deficiency by the accompanying symptoms:
- painful menstruation,
- breast swelling
- weight gain before menstruation,
- chronic fatigue.
The table contains a list of drugs to increase progesterone:
How to raise hormone levels in natural ways?
Is it possible to increase the content of gestagen in the body without resorting to drug therapy? Hormonal balance is largely dependent on the power system. Certain foods and medicinal herbs can increase progesterone, while others, on the contrary, reduce it. With a small imbalance phytopreparations and proper nutrition will help to establish hormonal balance.
Progesterone Production Products
To increase the content of gestagen in the body should adjust your daily diet. What foods contain progesterone? Natural progesterone is not found in food, it is produced exclusively by VT, the placenta of the fetus and partly by the adrenal cortex. However, some foods contribute to the production of a hormone. The three main groups of products that increase the level of progesterone: containing animal protein, cholesterol and starch.
Natural progestogen is produced through the use of dairy products. Fresh milk, fatty cheeses, cream - all this will help raise the level of the hormone. A sufficient amount of cholesterol is necessary for the synthesis of the hormone, so foods that are rich in cholesterol will contribute to its production. A woman needs to eat fatty fish, egg yolks, vegetable oils, nuts, olives, avocados. Повышению гестагенов способствуют крахмалистая пища. В первую очередь это картофель, а также бобы, рис, топинамбур.
Какие продукты нужно исключить из рациона?
Недостаточно добавить в рацион блюда, которые повышают уровень гестагенов. Для стабилизации гормонального фона необходимо снизить потребление продуктов, которые этот уровень понижают.
На содержание гормона негативно влияет мята. A woman who is having difficulty conceiving should refuse mint tea. Also do not drink broths and infusions of mountain ash and cloves. Despite the fact that carrots are incredibly useful, its consumption should also be reduced.
Herbal medicine (recipes)
To increase the number of gestagens in the female body by using decoctions and infusions of herbs. Recipes for traditional medicine include plants that best contribute to the production of hormones.
- Infusion prutnyak. For the preparation will need 2 tablespoons of chopped prutnyak fruits and 2 cups of boiling water. Fruits need to be filled with water and allowed to brew for 1 hour. After the infusion has cooled, you need to drink it in small portions during the day.
- Broth cuff. 1 tablespoon of dried grass cuff and a teaspoon of psyllium seeds need to pour a glass of boiling water. After the remedy is infused, you need to drink it 3 times a day, 1 tablespoon.
- Infusion of raspberry. Not only raspberry berries are useful, but also its leaves. To prepare the broth, you need to take 2 tablespoons of dried raspberry leaves and the same wild yams and pour two cups of boiling water. For 1 hour, remove the infusion in a dry place, and then drink during the day.
Ingredients for decoctions and infusions can be collected independently in your garden. If there is no summer cottage, the majority of herbal remedies can be bought in pharmacies or shops specializing in herbal medicine. Progesterone-lowering plants such as mandrake, mint, clover, and licorice should be avoided.
Vitamins that help progesterone secretion
Normalize gestagens in the body in a natural way to help not only foods and medicines, but also vitamins and minerals. For treatment, a woman can use special vitamin supplements or add dishes containing the required elements to the diet - the decision is made jointly with the attending physician.
The table contains vitamins and trace elements that increase the level of progesterone:
Products that increase progesterone levels.
This hormone is not in any food. But studies show that some foods can increase its quantity by stimulating production in the body.
Magnesium is the fourth most abundant mineral in the body, but almost 70% of the population has a deficit. Not only does magnesium help the body absorb calcium, it also has a regulating effect on the main hormone gland, the pituitary gland, which in turn regulates the level of all hormones.
The pituitary gland produces follicle-stimulating hormone FSH, luteinizing hormone LH and thyroid stimulating hormone TSH, on which the production of estrogen and progesterone depends. With magnesium deficiency, the pituitary gland produces less of the necessary hormones that keep the reproductive system in good shape.
Foods high in magnesium.
- Dark green leafy vegetables. Per 100 g of spinach 79 mg.
- Nuts and seeds. In 100 g of pumpkin seeds 534 mg.
- Buckwheat, 100 g 250 mg.
- A fish. Per 100 g of mackerel 97 mg.
- Whole grains. 100 g of brown rice 44 mg.
- Dark chocolate. In 100 g dark chocolate 327 mg.
How much vitamin C should I get?
- Minimum: 85 mg per day.
- Recommended for increasing progesterone: 250-500 mg per day.
- Restriction: do not take more than 1000 mg per day, because high doses of vitamin C acidify the body. In this case, the cervical fluid becomes acidic, inhibits the activity of spermatozoa and prevents the woman from becoming pregnant.
Foods high in vitamin C (mg per 100 g).
- Currants, sea buckthorn - 200.
- Leafy greens - 120-170.
- Bulgarian pepper - 128.
- Broccoli - 90.
- Persimmon - 66.
- Kiwi - 64.
- Oranges, lemons - 60-70.
- White cabbage - 50.
Remember that it quickly collapses when boiling. For example, a study shows that when boiling broccoli for 5 minutes, it loses 36-55% ascorbic acid. Therefore, it is important to eat fruits and vegetables with a high content of vitamin C raw.
Increase progesterone with drugs
If a low hormone level is detected, medication therapy is prescribed or progesterone secretion is activated in a natural way.
Medications for hormone replacement therapy
In the presence of physiological causes of hormone deficiency, hormone therapy is prescribed or the pathology that causes the secretion failure to be eliminated.
Insufficient production of progesterone leads to infertility, increases the risk of miscarriages, fetal anomalies. In some cases, the growth of the hormone level is carried out with the use of drugs. They are presented in different pharmacological forms - tablets, capsules, solutions for injections, suppositories, creams, gels.
The popular drugs include Natural progesterone, Utrozhestan, Inzhesta, Duphaston and others. Herbal medicines are popular - Cyclodinone, Mastodinon. Prescribes hormone replacement therapy only a doctor. Self-medication leads to severe side effects and dangerous complications.
(Solution for intramuscular injections)
(Capsules for internal and intravaginal administration)
(Gel for vaginal administration)
(Solution for intravenous and intramuscular injections)
Preparations with progesterone have a number of contraindications.
- oncological diseases,
- pathologies of the heart and blood vessels
- mental disorders,
- smoking abuse.
Methods to increase progesterone during pregnancy
During pregnancy there is a natural increase in the level of the hormone. The lack of active substance negatively affects the general condition of the woman and the development of the fetus.
To increase the concentration of the hormone, you can use diet. The menu should include foods rich in magnesium, zinc, vitamins C, B6, E. Traditional medicine recipes are far from suitable for increasing the level of the hormone. They can only be used as directed by the doctor.
If progesterone is low, you should seek qualified medical attention. Based on data from a laboratory analysis of blood, the individual characteristics of the patient, the state of the body, the doctor will prescribe the best option for correcting the hormonal background.
Another vitamin, which was definitely confirmed that it allows you to increase the level of progesterone in women in a natural way. Getting enough of it is vital for normal hormonal levels.
Studies have shown that taking high-dose vitamin B6 reduces estrogen levels and raises progesterone levels and leads to an improvement in the symptoms of premenstrual syndrome (PMS). Women with high consumption reduce the chance of miscarriage by 50% and increase the chance of becoming pregnant by 120%.
Products with a high content of vit. B6 (mg per 100 g).
- Sunflower seeds - 35.
- Pistachios - 1.12.
- Beans, soybeans - 0.9.
- Walnuts 0.8.
- Fish - 0.1-0.2, in tuna 1.04 (cooked).
- Meat products - 0.3-0.5, beef liver 0.7, in turkey - 0.81 (cooked).
- Dried fruits (prunes) - 0.75.
- Vegetables and fruits - 0.1-0.2.
During processing and preparation, about 50% of vitamin B6 is lost.
Zinc, acting on the pituitary gland, stimulates the production of follicle-stimulating hormone FSH, which in turn causes ovulation. It also stimulates the ovaries to produce estrogens and progesterone.
Products with high zinc content (mg per 100 g)
- Boiled oysters - 78.6.
- Lean beef - 12.3.
- Sprouted wheat - 16,7.
- Pumpkin seeds - 10.3.
- Sesame - 7.
- Sunflower seeds - 5,3.
- Lentils - 4.8.
- Peanuts - 4.
- Beef liver - 4.
- Walnuts, almonds, soybeans, cheese - 3.
Reduce the amount of stress.
During stress, the concentration of two hormones increases - cortisol and adrenaline. During this biological process, the body uses progesterone to produce these hormones from it. This means that stress steals your precious progesterone and converts it into adrenaline and cortisol. Moreover, to speed up the response, stress depletes the reserves of magnesium, the importance of which I wrote above. Fortunately, physical and emotional stress are manageable and there are many ways to deal with it.
Maintain a healthy weight.
The loss of excess weight increases the level of progesterone and can even resume ovulation lost due to obesity. A study was conducted on women with moderate obesity aged 18 to 35 years, about which there was no ovulation. Weight loss is 10% renewed in 87% of women. Scientists conclude that even a small weight loss can raise progesterone levels. Remember one thing that it does not work for women with normal weight.
About two ways to increase the amount of progesterone in women in the next article, "Vitamin E and L-arginine increase progesterone."
If the article seemed useful to you, share with friends on social networks.