A child can be bathed when coughing, if bathing does not harm his health. Therefore, first determine the causes of coughing. Not all cases of cough are indicative of a cold. Some forms of allergy are accompanied by coughing (animal allergies, medical preparations, plant pollen, etc.) act as allergens. During the period when the first tooth appears, a cough helps the baby to get rid of excess moisture in the body caused by active salivation. Coughing attacks can be the result of diseases such as heart disease or the nervous system. Therefore, the issue of bathing during this period, it is important to carefully study, be sure to make an appointment with a pediatrician, who will establish the main cause of coughing.
You can find out whether to bathe your child when you cough by how the baby reacts to the water. A child with poor health is likely to resist immersion in water, although at first glance it may look healthy.
If there are suspicions that the baby is sick, and he refuses to swim, it is better to stop bathing, so as not to worsen the health of the baby.
How to bathe a child with a cough?
Bathing rules in each case distinguish their own:
- Viral diseases (ARVI). It is possible to bathe a child with cough and runny nose, but it is necessary to follow the following recommendations: If cool water is usually used for bathing, then the temperature should be increased by several degrees. It is recommended to add sea salt, leaves of pre-steamed plants (eucalyptus, needles) to the bath with water. Doors in the bathroom must be covered.
After completing the water procedures, wipe the child dry, wrap with a rug or blanket. After fifteen minutes to put the baby in warm clothes. It is useful after bathing to give him hot tea or boiled milk. Sweating baby needs to change clothes.
- Gastroesophageal Reflux Disease (regurgitation of food due to abnormal stomach function), accompanied by coughing. Bathing takes place normally with the addition of relaxing broths to the bath.
- Acute laryngitis (rude, "barking" cough). It is useful to humidify room air with an ultrasonic inhaler, but it is better to postpone bathing in this period until the critical state passes.
- Dry cough (bronchitis, tracheitis). A warm and not long shower is recommended, only for hygienic purposes.
- Moist cough. A child can be bathed, always in warm (even hot) water, with the addition of a decoction of herbs with anti-inflammatory properties (sage, plantain, etc.) to the water.
- Pneumonia. During this period, bathing should be replaced by wiping with a damp, but warm towel. It is recommended to start bathing when the child begins to recover (not earlier than in two weeks) and from a sitting position.
In what cases you can not bathe a child with a cough?
You can not bathe a child with a cough at:
- high temperature
- feeling unwell, accompanied by chills or aches,
- weakness of the body.
Answering the question whether it is possible to bathe a child when coughing, the pediatrician warns parents against bathing if the baby’s body temperature reaches 37.5 degrees and above. The doctor explains that during the period of bathing the blood is not distributed in the body in a natural way - it flushes to the skin at the moment when it should flow to other important places. In addition, bathing with a dry and acute cough helps sputum production, and this is dangerous for the life of the child.
Is it possible to bathe a child at body temperature up to 37.5 degrees? During the period of illness, even at an elevated temperature, Komarovsky advises not to bathe the child, but to water him with a warm shower in order to clean the skin of the child by placing secretions and bacteria. If the child is feeling unwell, it is better to wipe him with a damp warm towel.
If the child is still sick, but needs washing very badly, then it is necessary to rinse very quickly in the shower.
It is possible to bathe a child when coughing without temperature, while observing simple but mandatory safety rules. In particular, the child should feel well, be ready for water procedures, bathing itself should be organized in an organized manner with the necessary measures. Water is an excellent means of getting rid of many diseases, particularly colds, if used correctly.
What is the difference?
Another important thing is that it is necessary to distinguish between two such concepts as “bathe” and “wash”.
"Wash" in this case means that the child should be washed in a simple manner directly under the shower, after which it is rinsed quickly. In this case, you will be able in the shortest possible time to save your baby from excess dust and sweat, of course, if your child is not constantly in a lying state due to a severe stage of the disease. Now doctors often talk about the benefits of washing during an illness, since it allows not only to cleanse themselves of sweat, but also to cool the heat. That is why it is recommended to wash with some warm water. It is worth noting that it was proved that with a prolonged absence of washing in the routine of a sick child, his condition can only worsen, because the main criterion is directly the persistent excretion of sweat due to the fight with temperature.
"Bathe" - means that the baby will spend some amount of time in the water. This event can be held and benefit from it can only be when the child is not experiencing fever. With a good general condition, a cough or runny nose can not be a reason for refusing to swim. On the contrary, bathing will only improve the mood and well-being of the child and will raise his spirits. At the same time, bathing in warm water, and later after bathing and warm wrapping, will help the baby to warm up well, which is also one of the conditions for recovery.
In what cases can not bathe?
Should I bathe my child when coughing, if it is caused by an acute respiratory illness? The answer is unequivocal - in the initial stage of the disease and in those moments when the temperature is elevated, you can not bathe the baby under any circumstances. After all, even an ordinary cold, and even more so something more serious, for example, the flu, is quite difficult in childhood. In the case of fever, weakness, headache, feeling unwell, chills and aches throughout the body - the child needs bed rest and will have to stop bathing for a while. If there is a special need, then instead of swimming, you can always take a rubbing with a wet towel or a wet napkin. After a few days, if there is an urgent need for bathing, but there is still no certainty that bathing will be beneficial, you can simply rinse the child under the shower.
What you need to know
At the first signs of recovery and when the fever drops, even if there is a cough, the child can be bathed in a bathtub filled with warm water. But it is necessary to follow certain rules and take into account some nuances. During this procedure, the temperature of the water in the bathroom must necessarily be constant - 37 ° C. In addition, it is very important to isolate the baby while bathing from drafts and to maintain the temperature in the bathroom just above 25-26 ° C. In addition, swimming for the first time after an illness should not last more than two or three minutes. This period of time can be increased gradually by 2-3 minutes, thereby somewhere in a week, bringing the bathing time to fifteen minutes, but this is on condition that the child has confidently gone on an amendment and his temperature is normal.
Coughing and bathing during a cold: harm or benefit
In search of an answer to the question whether it is possible to bathe with a cough, we must remember that bathing is a hygienic procedure. The body must breathe freely, and for this it is necessary to open the pores on the skin. With a cold in the body accumulates a lot of bacteria. The products of their vital activity accumulate on the mucous membrane, causing coughing episodes. There is an internal cleansing process when sputum is excreted. If the cough is dry and the sputum is too viscous or there are very few of them, the body is not able to be cleansed. Microbes enter the bloodstream and already through the skin, along with then go out. This is especially pronounced if the temperature rises. In this case, you need to wait until the temperature returns to normal, and then consult with your doctor.
Children can be bathed if the cough is in the final stages of treatment. Then a warm shower or bath with the addition of healing herbs, essential oils will cleanse the children's body and speed up the healing process.
In preparation for carrying out water procedures, the child is slowly immersed in a bath. Doubts of parents is it possible to conduct hygienic procedures will be confirmed when the behavior of the baby is unusual. He will begin to resist, cry. This procedure is a confirmation of his poor health, accompanying a cold at the initial stage. Bathing children in this case is not worth it, because water procedures can aggravate the situation.
You may also be interested in an article about whether it is possible to bathe a child with a cold.
Rules for bathing infants when they cough
Particular attention should be paid to children up to a year. After all, they cannot tell about their state of health, but their bright emotions and reaction to water, they say a lot.
If the causes of the disease, which passes in infants without fever, are clarified, then coughing with a bath will not prevent bathing. Whether it is possible to bathe, will be prompted by a pediatrician who is supervising the baby. But when embarking on water procedures, you need to know a few important rules:
- With ARVI and the presence of a cold or cough, the temperature of the water prepared for bathing the baby should be much warmer than usual. Sea salt is poured into the bath, a few drops of eucalyptus or coniferous essential oil are added. Then the child is quickly wiped, wrapped in a warm blanket, and 15 minutes after washing, they put on dry clothes. If the baby is sweating again, he will have to change clothes. So that at the same time with bathing he was treated at home. Folk remedies will be a good addition to the hygienic procedure. Baby give warm herbal tea or milk.
- If the baby suffers from gastroesophageal reflux (regurgitation of food), accompanied by coughing attacks, bathing is carried out without restrictions. In the water, you can add decoctions of herbs (series, chamomile, eucalyptus), which will relax the child's body. He will sleep well.
- Bathing time is determined by the type of cough. If cough with bronchitis is unproductive, only light showers and fast warming are recommended. When coughing with sputum discharge, warm or even hot baths with medicinal decoctions of herbs will become part of the treatment for any colds.
When you can bathe your baby when you cough
Doctors confirm that bathing with a cough is even useful for a baby’s health if the cough is of physiological origin (microscopic particles or smoke have got on the mucous membrane), not catarrhal symptoms (allergy, worms invasion, etc.) are observed.
Sometimes children cough with heart failure. At the same time, cough attacks are accompanied by increased sweating, so it is very important to redeem the baby in a timely manner. Having breathed the moist warm air during the water treatment, the baby will relax and will sleep more calmly.
In children, their health often worsens, cold symptoms appear during the period when milk teeth are cut. The baby becomes very nervous. No means of coughing will not help if you do not find out the cause of cold symptoms. In this state, the washing process will only improve health and relieve the cough reflex. The body of the baby will get rid of excess moisture that is excreted through the mucous membranes.
After visiting the doctor, who will consider the obvious symptoms and causes of the disease, you can finally decide on bathing the child.
When you can not bathe a child
In what cases it is impossible to bathe the child, parents are advised by the attending physician. In each case, the decision is made individually. But still, there are general rules that must be followed if the baby has a cold and coughs:
- There are cases that children suffer from diseases of the throat, cough. The cough becomes sharp, barking, sometimes the temperature rises. Doctors diagnose inflammation of the upper respiratory tract (laryngitis, tracheitis, pharyngitis). In such cases, you can not provoke a disease. You should refrain from swimming, watching the state of the child.
- Inflammation of the lungs immediately becomes a prohibition for swimming. Bath and shower replace wet rubbing the body. Bathing is allowed only at the stage of recovery, when the child's normal state is normal.
- The ban for water procedures are periods of exacerbation of inflammatory processes in the bronchi, accompanied by wheezing and shortness of breath.
Experts explain the reason for the prohibition of bathing at body temperature above 37. The fact is that at this time the blood should be directed to active work in the foci of inflammation. And water causes a rush of blood to the skin, which weakens the body's struggle with the cause of the disease. With different types of coughing, bathing activates the secretion of mucus, which can be dangerous for children (especially in infancy). They do not know how to expectorate sputum.
Recommendations of Dr. Komarovsky
Dr. E. Komarovsky, an acquaintance of the popular TV show for parents, believes that bathing should not be prohibited during coughing episodes and even when the body temperature rises to 37.5. Unless, it is better to replace a bath by dousing with warm water with a light body massage. The pores on the body must be opened, says Komarovsky, in order to prevent intoxication of the body. We must do everything necessary to ensure that the baby’s body does not cool down after a shower or bath. They wipe it dry, put on clean clothes and cover with a warm rug.
Before bathing you need to watch the mood of the children. If the child shows discontent and he categorically does not want to wash, you need to take into account such a desire. After all, the vagaries may indicate a poor state of health of a baby who does not know how to tell his parents about it. Then the child can simply wipe with a towel, moistened with warm water.
Adhering to simple rules, water procedures, according to Komarovsky, should be carried out. The main thing is that the child is positive, then bathing will be beneficial for the body. A cold and cough go unnoticed. They will wash away the water used properly.