Gardnerellosis in men is not a major disease, since an increased activity of a dangerous pathogen called Gardnerella vaginalis is more often observed in a woman’s body. Infection occurs through sexual contact, and the symptoms of the disease progress when immunity is weakened in a man.
What is Gardnerella
This disease in men has a bacterial nature, requires medical treatment for symptoms in men. Its development begins with the appearance in the body of a dangerous anaerobic microorganism, the incubation period of which lasts from several days to 3-4 weeks. Gardnerella itself is the causative agent of bacterial vaginosis, with its activity in the body, inflammation occurs.
Concentrated pathogenic flora in the mucous membrane of the vagina of a woman, gets its rapid development in violation of the microflora. Detection of Gardnerella in men is an accident or a consequence of severe symptoms. The decisive factor in this case becomes the real state of the immune system, since, with its weakness, the body is doubly susceptible to pathogenic attacks.
The patient may not even be aware of the infection that has occurred, since the real state of immunity makes it possible to suppress the pathogenic flora. If a person has recently had a disease, or dysbacteriosis develops in his body, symptoms of Gardnerella. They reduce the quality of life, so you need to promptly contact your doctor for diagnosis. The main symptoms of Gardnerella in men are presented below:
- greenish discharge from the urethra,
- darkening of the glans penis,
- unpleasant smell of discharge
- skin rash on the skin of the penis,
- burning of the vulva,
- violation of temperature, fever,
- internal discomfort, itching,
- pain when urinating.
Causes of Gardnerella
Since the pathological process is caused by increased activity of pathogenic bacteria, we can safely talk about the infectious disease gardnerellosis, which is prone to recurrence. It is possible to get infected with this venereal disease from a sick sexual partner, and for a long time it does not even know about it. The main reason for the appearance of Gardnerella in men is unprotected sexual contact with a carrier of bacteria. If, after infection during the first day, the immunity was overcome by pathogenic flora, the harm to the male body is minimal.
Other pathogenic factors that trigger the appearance of gardnerella in the male are presented below:
- the presence of emotional and physical stress,
- a sharp decline in immunity,
- past urogenital diseases, chronic diagnoses,
- long-term treatment with drugs, especially antibacterial drugs,
- the presence in the body of a man of other sexually transmitted diseases,
- frequent change of sexual partners
- chronic vaginosis in a sexual partner.
If there are signs of gardnerella vaginalis in men so that the disease does not become chronic, it is necessary to begin the road to recovery with a detailed diagnosis. The main goal of clinical and laboratory research is to determine the nature of the bacterium, the stage of the pathological process, to predict therapeutic measures for the final extermination of the harmful parasite. The main analysis is a smear from the urethra, which just reveals the presence of gardnerella. Only in this case, effective treatment of gardnerella with conservative methods is possible.
Intensive therapy necessarily involves taking antibiotics that violate the integrity of the membranes of Gardnerella, contribute to their productive removal from the body naturally. Without this, the ailment cannot be cured, otherwise the microbes will continue to cause the unpleasant symptoms of Gardnerella. Effective treatment of Gardnerella drugs includes several pharmacological groups. It:
- antibiotics: Clindamycin, Vilprafen, Unidox Soljutab, Doxycycline, Azithromycin,
- antiprotozoal drugs: Ornidazole, Metronidazole, Tinidazole, Osarbon, Tiberal,
- local antiseptics: Miramistin solution, Chlorhexidine, McMiror, Hexicon,
- antifungal drugs: Pimafucin cream, Terzhinan (tablets), Fluconazole,
- probiotics: Hilak forte, Bifilact, Laktovit, Bifidumbakterin.
Treatment regimen for men with Gardnerella
A sick man can recover, if treated correctly, do not engage in superficial self-treatment. An effective treatment regimen for Gardnerella with men provides the following complex therapy with valuable recommendations. It is important not to forget about vitamins to strengthen the immune system of a sick person. Medications and recommendations from Gardnerella are as follows:
- Take 1 tablet of Tricaside twice a day, additionally take 1 pill of Fluconazole.
- The doctor prescribes the drug Glutargin, and daily doses are negotiated individually with the doctor.
- Drink antibiotic Doxycycline in the amount of 2 tablets in the morning and 1 tablet in the evening, always on an empty stomach.
- To normalize the intestinal microflora, use Hilak in the amount of 30 drops three times a day.
Terzhinan with gardnerelleze
Bacterial vaginosis in men is treated with drugs - pills and creams. In the first case, it is about oral administration, in the second - about topical administration up to 4-5 times per day. Terzhinan with Gardnerella in women prescribed in the form of vaginal suppositories, whereas the stronger sex is better to use the pills. It is important not to disturb daily doses.
The active ingredient is ternidazole, neomycin sulfate destroys not only the structure of gardnerella, but also ureaplasma, is appropriate for use in vaginitis, other infections of the urinary tract of a man. If you take 1 tablet three times a day, in 5-7 days there will be normal laboratory test results. Such an antibiotic helps to effectively get rid of the increased concentration of Gardnerella. In general, such intimate health problems should be avoided.
The causes of the appearance of pathology in men
Despite the fact that Gardnerella vaginalis is on the mucous membranes of both sexes, in men the bacteria are supplanted by other species that live in the same places. The development of the disease begins after a malfunction of the body. In addition to transmission during sexual intercourse, there are also other reasons for the increase in the number of microorganisms:
- reduced immunity
- inflammation of the genitourinary system,
- more number of sexual partners
- violation of the normal intestinal microflora,
- hormonal changes.
Occasionally, Gardnerella in men appears after the use of intimate hygiene. They disturb the balance of microflora and contribute to an increase in bacteria. The causes of Gardnerella in men can be covered in the absence of personal hygiene.
Important! The man's body controls the number of Gardnerella independently, therefore, cases of its manifestation are rare.
Symptoms and treatment of Gardnerella in men are different. First, there is a slippery coating on the coronary sulcus and "fish" smell. Erythema of the head, as well as the foreskin, is mild. In the urethra, inflammation begins, when urinating a burning sensation is felt, cramps.
If the patient has vesiculitis or prostatitis, then the symptoms of these pathologies join Gardnerellosis (there is a photo in this article) after the bacteria begin to spread through the urinary system. Bacteria are dangerous because they often provoke complications.
The most serious are abscesses, sepsis. In addition to them, there may be other complications than the dangerous Gardnerella. It depends on the propagation speed of the bacteria.
In carriers of gardnerella vaginalis, the disease is hidden, and there are almost no signs of illness. Therefore, another partner gets a certain “portion” of bacteria during sexual intercourse. If the pathogens cause the disease, the first symptoms will appear 7 days after infection. First of all, the head of the penis and the mucosa will become inflamed
Gardnerella urethritis in men usually begins to develop due to existing bacteria - mycoplasma, ureaplasma, chlamydia. Their numbers will also increase. If the treatment of Gardnerella in men is not started on time, the inflammation can also affect other internal organs:
- pyelonephritis, which is manifested by muscle pain, fever,
- epidimitis is accompanied by pain in the testicle.
Together with the main causative agent of the disease, ureaplasma and other viruses often appear. Against gardnerelleza begins cystitis. The symptoms of the inflammatory process are greatly exacerbated. Urination becomes an even more painful procedure.
Attention! The severity and duration of the course of Gardnerella is due to the structure of the male reproductive system, which is initially able to extinguish the reproduction of bacteria and stop further inflammation.
Diagnosis of the disease
During the diagnosis of the disease, an external examination is done first. Then tests are performed for the presence (or absence) of all venereal ailments, pcr-diagnostics are performed. Analyzed the allocation and recorded, if they found Prevotella.
Gardnerella symptoms are noted in men, the condition of the prostate gland is checked, an ultrasound examination is performed. Under the microscope, prostate secretion is checked. If there is a suspicion of prostatitis, then drugs for its treatment (for example, doxycycline) are included in the general scheme.
Causes of Gardnerella in Men
The main reason for the occurrence of this disease in the stronger sex is intimate contact with an infected woman. Gardnerellosis is not transmitted by household and contact by (with kisses, with skin contact, through common household items).
In the male body, Gardnerella does not linger long, leaving it on the third day after infection. This is explained by the anatomical features of men. But if the infection remains in the male's sexual environment for more than five days, then the disease may well appear or the person will become a carrier of Gardnerella.
Gardnerellosis in men can develop against the background of such provoking factors:
- antidepressant treatment
- weakening of immunity against the background of chronic pathologies, emotional shocks and physical overwork,
- Gardener nodules in men may appear in the background of previously urogenital diseases,
- the occurrence of the disease is more likely if a person has other venereal pathologies (chlamydia, gonorrhea, trichomoniasis, ureaplasmosis, mycoplasmosis, etc.),
- gardnerella vagin in men may appear due to promiscuous sexual contacts without barrier methods of protection against STIs,
- if the partner has chronic vaginosis, then she can give relapses even with adequate treatment (during the relapse, the partner risks getting infected).
If the doctor suspects the presence of gardnerella vagin, treatment in men is carried out only after the diagnosis has been confirmed by laboratory methods. To do this, conduct a study of urine and sperm, be sure to take an analysis of scraping from the urethra.
Important! In diagnostic terms, the most accurate method is considered to be a method for examining scraping by PCR. The accuracy of the results is 98 percent. Normally, there should be no foreign cells and their RNA in the smear.
If this disease is detected in a sexual partner, then a laboratory study may not be carried out, and both sexual partners undergo therapeutic treatment. Gardnerella in men and its treatment are within the competence of the urologist.
The patient must undergo a comprehensive treatment using special medications, herbal medicine and physiotherapy procedures. The choice of drugs depends on the severity of the disease, the characteristics of its course, the patient's condition and the body's response to therapy.
First of all, an antibacterial drug is prescribed to the patient, which has a detrimental effect on gardnerella. This is usually the antibiotic Doxycycline. But with a negative reaction of the body to this drug, another antibacterial agent may be selected.
The treatment of gardnerella in men is a long process, unlike the treatment of this disease in women. This is due to the fact that in the female body there is the possibility of a direct impact on the pathogen by antiseptics (vaginal suppositories, solutions, etc.). In the case of the stronger sex, therapy is carried out only with the use of pills, so it is more prolonged.
Important components of complex therapy are:
- physiotherapy activities,
- measures to strengthen the immune system (multivitamin preparations, exercise).
During treatment, the patient must adhere to the following rules:
- It is necessary to refuse sexual contacts.
- You can not drink alcoholic beverages (even low alcohol). It is advisable not to smoke.
- It is forbidden to visit the sauna and bath.
- It is important to avoid physical overwork and stressful situations.
Prevention of Gardnerella
In order to prevent this disease, men should adhere to the following recommendations:
- With a large number of sexual partners need to use barrier methods of contraception. It is desirable for sex to choose the only reliable partner.
- Strengthen immunity. It is necessary to give up any bad habits, play sports, harden, walk in the fresh air. Eat properly and fully.
- Some doctors recommend that after unprotected sex use solutions of antibacterial drugs that are injected into the urethra with a syringe, removing the needle. However, in some men, even a weak solution due to increased individual sensitivity can cause damage to the urethral mucosa and subsequent stricture, so this method is best not to use.
A man should regularly visit the urologist for preventive examination. And with the appearance of the slightest symptoms and discomfort, you should not self-medicate. Only a specialist can identify the cause of the pathology and conduct therapy.
Why do men diagnose gardnerellosis?
Consider where the pathology comes from. It is believed that gardening in men is the result of unprotected sexual contact with an unverified partner. However, not all physicians support this opinion, since there is no irrefutable evidence of the transfer of gardnerella during coition. But it is impossible to exclude the ingress of bacteria on the mucous layers during sex, especially since other infectious pathogens often penetrate into the body along with gardnerella vaginalis.
Gardnerellosis in men rarely exhibits pronounced symptoms, in 90% of bacteria are washed out from the mucous layer of the urethra by the flow of urine and removed from the body. In the remaining 10%, the representatives of the stronger sex become carriers, infecting their sexual partner during sexual intercourse. For this, it is necessary that the bacterium remains in the body for up to five days. Often, gardenenella causes such a disease as balanoposthitis.
But even if Gardnerella vaginalis is present in men, the development of pathology is not mandatory, since the bacteria are not able to multiply when the immune system is in good condition and the pH is normal in the mucous layers. It should be noted that these bacteria are conditionally pathogenic microorganisms, because normally they do not cause harm. However, under the influence of a number of reasons, gardnerella in men can be activated. In this case, bacteria from the category of conditionally pathogenic microorganisms become pathogens.
Consider why Gardnerella in men makes itself felt:
- Failure of the functionality of the immune system, that is, the presence of immunodeficiencies of both congenital and acquired properties. Stressful states, lack of physical activity, poor nutrition contribute to the deterioration of immunity.
- Diseases developing in the digestive system.
- Other infectious pathologies forming in the reproductive system, including the development of HPV (human papilloma virus) or chlamydia, thrush and gonorrhea.
- The cause of the development of pathology can be inflammatory processes occurring in the urogenital system.
- Hormonal disorders.
- Severe hypothermia.
- Long-term treatment of various diseases with antimicrobial drugs, their uncontrolled use.
- Use of antidepressants.
- Gardnerellosis in men provokes a constant change of partners and sexual contact with them without the use of barrier contraceptives.
- The partner has a chronic form of vaginosis, the relapses of which are present even with systematic therapy.
You can see that all of the above causes of the disease contribute to the weakening of general or local immunity. The result is an impaired microflora balance in the reproductive system and the activation of bacteria.
Important. Gardnerella in men is not transmitted by the contact-household method - through kisses or handshakes, through dishes, when visiting the public toilet, swimming pool or sauna.
Accompanying the development of pathology symptoms
Symptoms and treatment of any pathology are related, and gardnerellosis in men is no exception. Despite the fact that the signs of the disease in the representatives of the stronger sex are blurred, which often makes it difficult to diagnose, there are a number of phenomena that should be given increased attention:
- The development of balanoposthitis, with redness and patches on the head of the penis.
- The symptoms of the development of Gardnerella in men are also scanty greenish hue. Usually their appearance occurs in the morning, and a small number does not always allow to notice this violation in a timely manner.
- On the urinary system infection indicate the increasing desire to visit the toilet for a small need.
- The characteristic symptoms of Gardnerella in men include the appearance of an unpleasant smell, like the stench of rotten fish. It usually appears during urination.
- A sign of infection can be urethritis, in which pain and burning sensation appear n only when urine is removed, but also when the victim is at rest.
Usually, the bacterium lingers and resides in the urethral canal or between the foreskin and the head of the penis. Accordingly, when the treatment is ignored, the external signs appear quite clearly. As can be seen in the photo, there are erosive lesions and redness of the penis against the background of inflammatory processes - this is how balanoposthitis demonstrates its presence.
Now, what complications and unpleasant consequences can be observed in the formation of pathological processes. First of all, the danger to sexual partners should be taken into account, especially if a woman is carrying a child or planning to conceive. Without presenting a danger to men in most cases, in women without timely treatment, the pathology can cause inflammatory processes in the appendages, increased desire to urinate, development of urethritis, weakened immunity, which is manifested in the formation of the HPV and exacerbation of other pathological phenomena.
Now, how a disease, for which no therapeutic methods are applied, can affect a man:
- In the prostate gland, inflammatory processes begin, prostatitis develops.
- Vesiculitis may be formed - in this pathology, the seminiferous tubules become inflamed.
- Cystitis may appear, which is a disease of the bladder.
- Quite often pyelonephritis is formed - this process is a kidney damage.
- The urge to empty the bladder is becoming more frequent.
- A man is not immune from the appearance of urethritis, in which pain and burning sensation are present on a permanent basis.
In addition to these complications, abscesses or sepsis are not excluded, although they occur in very rare cases, if there is a strong weakening of the immune system and the lack of adequate therapy for a long time.
Important. To avoid complications, one should not engage in self-diagnosis and treatment, even if the symptoms manifest themselves quite clearly. Consultation with a urologist and confirmatory diagnostics is necessary.
How to diagnose suspected pathology
If you suspect the development of Gardnerella in men before treating the pathology, it is necessary to confirm the assumptions that have arisen, even if the symptoms are sufficiently obvious. A survey is required for the presence of sexually transmitted diseases, which are transmitted sexually. Such diseases include thrush, candidiasis and gonorrhea, chlamydia and other negative phenomena.
The condition of the prostate gland is checked by rectal palpation, and an ultrasound can also be prescribed. Determining the pathology itself, in order to then prescribe and conduct a proper treatment of Gardnerella with men for a specialist, is usually not difficult. Representatives of the stronger sex should contact the urologist or venereologist, depending on the factors that provoked the development of the disease and comorbidities.
To begin with, the doctor interrogates the victim and assesses the existing symptoms. Discharges with an unpleasant smell of rotten fish, rather clearly indicate gardnerellez. However, with dim severity of symptoms, laboratory analysis is necessary - and usually not one. Can be assigned:
- Analysis of the presence of gardnerella vaginalis, which is a common smear, which is then examined under a microscope. Examination of the sample with a multiple increase shows that the cells are covered with a layer of bacteria.
- A study is being conducted regarding the pH of secretions, since the presence of pathology creates an alkaline environment.
- A study is being conducted that determines the response to isonitrile - it is this component that gives the discharge an unpleasant odor.
- As an additional study, a blood test can be prescribed - in the presence of bacteria, there is a low level of white blood cells. However, it should be borne in mind that a similar result can be obtained in the presence of other pathologies.
Interestingly, such analyzes as bacteriological culture, PCR in the diagnosis of the disease under consideration are rarely used. Using these methods gives an understanding that a certain microorganism is present in the body, but does not determine its quantity. And as mentioned above, gardnerella vaginalis can be present in the body without harm and being the norm.
Traditional ways to eliminate pathology
Consider how to treat men when they have Gardnerella. First of all, it should be understood that the presence of bacteria in analyzes is not always the reason for therapeutic measures. Observance of two basic conditions is required for subsequent therapy:
- The bacterium is defined in titer and exceeds 10 4 CFU / ml.
- There are clearly expressed symptoms of the inflammatory process occurring in the body.
How to treat the disease using traditional methods? It is necessary to attend to the competent selection of antimicrobial drugs and immunomodulators. Vitamin complexes, bifid preparations may be involved. The used tools can be produced by pharmacists in the form of injectable preparations, solutions for droppers and tablets. Alternative methods include physiotherapy or instillation directly into the urethral canal.
The most popular antibiotics for treatment are Clindamycin, Doxycycline, Metronidazole with analogues, Levofloxacin and Azithromycin, and other drugs that are in the group of Azolides. It should be borne in mind that Clindamycin, produced in the form of a cream, contains oils that can weaken the protection of condoms. A positive effect was observed with the use of Chlorhexedin. To improve the state of immunity Bifilact or Hilak Forte is used. A common scheme to cure pathology is as follows:
- In the morning and evening hours should be taken on a tablet of Fluconazole and Trikasayda.
- The Clindamycin tablet is drunk four times in 24 hours, the duration of administration is seven days.
- It is required to drink 2 Doxycycline pills in the morning and one pill in the evening.
- Assigned to use Glutargin.
- Three times during the day, drip 30 drops of Hilak Forte on the head of the penis.
- For seven days, you must take a daily pill of Azithromycin.
It should be borne in mind that Gardnerella is often accompanied by other pathologies of a venereal nature, because drugs for treatment must be selected and used in a complex, along with other ways of eliminating diseases.
Important. Usually, therapy is required for both partners, with the treatment of Gardnerella in men, as well as in women, is developed individually.
Diet and traditional medicine
There may be cases when the infection is not amenable to elimination by traditional methods, and the progression of the pathology continues. It is possible that this condition is due to intestinal dysbiosis or insufficient sensitivity of the bacteria to the means used. In this case, the selection of drugs is reviewed.
It should also be noted that patients are most effectively treated for Gardnerella with a diet and with a parallel rejection of harmful nutrients. Thus, alcoholic drinks, smoked meats, pickles, spicy and fatty dishes, sweet desserts and pastry baked goods are removed from the diet. Some plants and herbs have an antibacterial effect, so it does not hurt to include them in the menu. We are talking about cloves and chamomile, beetroot and carrots, cabbage and potatoes. The use of vegetables provides an influx of essential fiber, and herbs guarantee the introduction into the body of vitamin C, other important components.
Many say - I am treated with herbs and do not recognize the traditional therapy. But it is necessary to understand that the recipes of traditional medicine are unlikely to cope directly with the bacteria, although they are able to strengthen the immune system and stimulate its work.
If negative symptoms appear that indicate the development of the pathology in question, home treatment may include extracts from pine buds, the use of tea tree oil. Well strengthen the immune system of black currant leaf tea. Antibacterial effects can have a decoction on the orange peel.
Regardless of how effective and safe the healer's recipes look, they must be approved by the attending physician before being applied. In addition, the use of infusions and decoctions should be as a supplement, and not as the main treatment.
The causes of the disease
Photo manifestations of Gardnerella in men
And what are the causes of the disease Gardnerella in men? Gardnerella vaginalis (gardnerella vaginalis) is a pathogen that is transmitted only sexually. Almost always, such a disease is diagnosed in the female.
There is no consensus among specialists regarding the pathological properties of this condition, but most agree that gardnerella vaginalis is not a complete sexually transmitted infection. This uncertainty leads to the fact that not always carried out a full treatment. Often, only local treatment of gardnerella in men is implemented. This contributes to the fact that the infection appears again and is becoming more common among people.
How to treat a disease?
Photo of Gardnerella Symptoms in Men
So, how to treat gardnerella in men? A thorough and complete examination of the patient precedes the implementation of therapeutic treatment. To identify the disease is necessary to examine a smear from the urethra. Further, it is determined whether it is necessary to treat gardnerellosis in a man or not.
Currently, the treatment of the disease uses antibacterial drugs of the new generation. Submitted drugs are assigned on the basis of the study of secretions. The total duration of treatment of the disease is approximately 2-3 weeks. During this period, you must completely abandon sexual relationships and adhere to a dietary diet.
Next is the study of microflora in order to exclude the possibility of re-occurrence of the disease. It is mandatory to treat both partners, only this allows to achieve maximum results.
In the process of treating a disease, specialists most often use drugs such as Levofloxacin, Clindamycin, Doxcycline.
Prevention of the disease consists in following the rules of personal hygiene of personal hygiene.
It is necessary to avoid casual sexual intercourse, use contraception. In the case of even minor signs of illness, you should immediately contact a specialist.
Consider the basic rules of compliance with preventive measures in order to prevent such diseases as gardnerellosis in men:
- If any gynecological disorders are detected, the partner should be required to undergo an examination,
- If your partner has such a diagnosis as Gardnerellosis, you also need to be examined,
- treatment of the disease is not mandatory, but its occurrence may be associated with other pathologies.
It is mandatory for representatives of the male field to carefully monitor their health, since the urinogenital system is characterized by high sensitivity to various kinds of infections. In case of the slightest signs of discomfort in the process of urination, it is necessary to consult a specialist, and not to look for similar problems with the photo, since only the doctor is able to assess the real picture of what is happening. Be healthy!