Alcohol during menstruation
Most of the representatives of the beautiful half of humanity periodically experience discomfort and quite strong pains before menstruation and during it. Trying to cope with this problem on their own, patients often ask female counseling specialists if they can drink alcohol during their periods.
The use of alcoholic beverages as a means of anesthesia has its origins since ancient times. Recently, however, the attitude to the regular intake of strong drinks in the medical environment has changed significantly. The harm of significant doses of alcohol is proven for the body. Women need to be clear about the mechanism of the effect of alcohol-containing beverages on their physiology and biochemistry.
Read in this article.
Alcohol and its effect on the menstrual cycle
The question of the effects of alcohol and various alcoholic beverages on a woman's body is well studied and described in the special literature. However, there are no clear criteria about the possible doses of alcohol during this period and more preferable for the health of the patient drinks.
What does alcohol use lead to?
- Most experts say that if you drink alcohol during the month, their duration increases by an average of 2 to 3 days.
- A common symptom of relieving PMS with alcohol is a delay in the onset of menstrual bleeding for several hours or even days.
- Alcohol in 100% of cases increase bleeding. If a woman loses up to 250 grams of blood during a period of menstruation, then after trying to treat pain syndrome with vodka or brandy, blood loss can reach up to 600 grams. This will necessarily affect the patient's condition.
- Many women during menstruation are fluctuations in blood pressure. Alcohol strengthens such symptoms even more, as alcohol expands the blood vessels first, and after a while causes their spasm.
Some experts are of the opinion that this drink has a positive effect on the coagulation system in women and restores the volume of circulating blood in their vessels. If the doctor gives the woman such recommendations, he must take into account that the mechanism of the influence of red table wines on the hormonal background of the patient during this period has not been sufficiently studied. Therefore, its use during menstruation requires some caution. In this case, of course, we can not talk about sweet or fortified wines.
What is harmful alcohol for women
In the medical environment, there has long been a widespread belief that female alcoholism is very difficult to treat. Indeed, due to the hormonal and physiological characteristics of the body of the beautiful half of humanity, addiction to the use of alcoholic beverages occurs much faster than in men. It is also much more difficult for patients to get rid of this pernicious habit, since the absorption of alcohols in the tissue is regulated, including female sex hormones.
Alcohol in the life of a woman
Since the psyche of the weaker sex is more labile, many women use alcohol to relieve various stresses. Given the characteristics of the female body, the dose of wine or spirits to obtain a sufficient effect, must constantly increase.
Almost all organs and systems of a woman suffer from excessive use of alcohol. In the area of particular risk are the gastrointestinal tract, liver, kidneys and central nervous system.
Under the influence of alcohol there is a complete imbalance of the hormonal and immune systems of a woman. The period of menstruation is rather an aggravating factor in the development of a similar pathology.
Alcohol and menses: the combination is harmful
Quite often, young women try to improve their general condition during menstruation with the help of alcoholic beverages. Similar recommendations can be found on various pseudoscientific sites and forums.
And if the question of whether it is possible to drink wine during menstruation is still quite controversial, then when choosing the other options, the consequences of drinking alcohol during this period should be recalled:
- The main problem for a young woman at this time is the fact that alcohol causes spasm of the capillaries and blocks the flow of fluid from the tissues into the bloodstream. In addition to possible edema, it often leads to a decrease in blood pressure against the background of bleeding and deterioration of the woman’s condition.
- Relief of pain in PMS and menstruation can be considered just a legend. The peculiarity of the effect of alcohols on the nerve endings lies in their short-term blocking of the conduction of nerve impulses. Indeed, for 15–30 minutes the pain becomes less intense, but after the termination of the effect of such “anesthesia” the situation worsens dramatically.
- The mental health of a woman during menstruation depends on the balance of progesterone and estrogen in the patient's body. Violation of the hormonal background leads to changes in mood, depression, irritability and other manifestations of psycho-emotional disruption. Alcohol only reinforces such violations.
- The use of alcoholic beverages for the treatment of PMS to a large extent can affect the regularity and duration of the menstrual cycle. If a woman is interested in whether it is possible to drink alcohol before a monthly delay, then she should understand that the use of such drinks can significantly change the time of arrival of menstruation.
There are quite a few methods that allow most women to calmly experience the possible discomfort on these difficult days, without resorting to the services of alcohol. It should be remembered that if a woman’s bleeding is usually abundant, then alcohol should be permanently banned for her.
See the video about the effects of alcohol on a woman's body:
Alcohol on critical days: a few simple tips for women
In the life of any woman there are situations when the period of menstrual bleeding falls holidays, followed by a feast. The correct solution to the problem of alcohol during menstruation would be a complete rejection of the use of alcoholic beverages, but you can pamper yourself and slightly.
The main thing is to strictly adhere to the following rules:
- Experts consider it possible to use no more than 150 - 200 grams of light red wine per evening. Stronger beverages, such as whiskey or brandy, should be completely abandoned.
- Champagne can lead to distention of the bowel, which during menstruation is contraindicated for young women. Colon loops can have a physical effect on the uterus, which often leads to increased bleeding.
- Often interested in young girls and whether it is possible to drink beer during menstruation. But even in this case, the answer is no. This drink provokes fermentation in the intestine, while the low alcohol content can cause a feeling of security, which often leads to an excessive increase in the amount of beer drunk.
- At the party should completely abandon physical activity. Quick dances and various competitions related to the movement, it is better to leave for the period after menstruation.
- It is strictly forbidden to smoke. Alcohol and nicotine have the opposite effect on the vascular wall, which can increase bleeding. At the same time, tobacco provokes a spasm of cerebral vessels, which often leads to central nervous system problems.
Well, of course, if a woman had to take part in a feast, she is recommended to drink all the dishes with plenty of liquid. Water and juices enhance the work of the kidneys, increase the volume of liquid blood, thereby reducing the possibility of the effects of alcohol on the body of patients.
Critical days: basic rules of behavior
Gynecologists have long developed basic guidelines for reducing the patient's pathological symptoms during PMS and menstruation. These rules are simple enough, but their meticulous implementation will help many to survive this difficult period with minimal losses.
Here is what experts recommend:
- The main thing with menstruation is diet. A woman should completely refuse fatty and spicy food. It is not recommended to enter into the diet fried foods and a large number of pastries. All products that can cause problems with the digestive tract, especially constipation, should be completely excluded at this time.
- During menstruation, excessive drinking is recommended to compensate for blood loss. Some patients are interested in whether it is possible to drink beer during menstruation to restore water balance in the body. This low alcohol drink in large quantities is not recommended for healthy people, and for girls on critical days, drinking it will only increase bleeding and cause upset stool.
- Constipation and urinary retention in general are a big threat to women during their menstrual periods. Any physical impact on the uterus can lead to the stimulation of blood excretion, and an enlarged intestine or bladder can affect it.
- Excessive exercise is not recommended. To maintain a normal psychological state, experts advise walking or favorite home activities.
We recommend to read an article about diet during menstruation. From it you will learn about nutrition during menstruation, recommendations, the effect of diet on the delay of menstruation, the reasons for the termination of menstruation.
Many ladies with the help of alcohol are trying to solve this problem. The destructiveness of such actions should not be in doubt. In case of severe pain, any woman can seek help from a specialist, since only in 15–20% of patients expressed pain is the physiological manifestation of menstruation. Most often this can be a symptom of various inflammatory diseases of the female genitalia that require appropriate treatment.
Alcohol during menstruation refers to quite controversial issues of medicine, but the overwhelming number of experts do not recommend taking even alcohol-containing drugs during this period. Red wine to restore blood loss is better to start drinking on 2 - 3 days after the end of the bleeding. It is better to refuse other alcohol in general. If you have any questions with the regimen during your period, you should seek advice from your doctor in the antenatal clinic.
Alcohol intake during menstruation
There are many situations when drinking alcohol is almost the rule. Meetings with loved ones, holidays, visiting, a date. In all these cases, alcohol is, as it were, an attribute of the event. If the celebration or meeting occurred on critical days, awareness of the question of whether to drink alcohol during menstruation will help to do the right thing and make the appropriate choice.
Sometimes women or girls are tempted by alcoholic beverages to reduce the discomfort that occurs during menstruation. Speech about PMS. Unpleasant features of this syndrome are not a secret. Pain, dizziness, weakness, nervous breakdowns, the appearance of atypical manifestations of the gastrointestinal tract - diarrhea or constipation - it is sometimes difficult to endure. And to deal with painful menstruation, an innocent way is chosen, as it may seem, to drink some alcohol. But this is a dangerous delusion, especially if alcohol intake occurs on the very first days of menstruation or on the eve of menstruation.
The process of follicle maturation and egg formation is regulated by the reproductive system, which includes such parts of the brain as the pituitary and hypothalamus, as well as the genitals. Starting from adolescence to menopause, the menstrual cycle is accompanied by bleeding on critical days. From 12-13 years old, sometimes earlier, every month there is a process of preparing for pregnancy. When the conditions created for carrying the fetus are unclaimed, there is a process of thorough cleaning of the body from accumulated unwanted substances and tissues. At the same time numerous violations can be observed:
- heavy discharge
- sharp pains in the lower abdomen,
- jumps the duration of the individual phases of the menstrual cycle,
- nervous disorders
- digestion fails, constipation is possible,
- weakness, dizziness.
Obviously, in this state, the woman or girl will experience discomfort. Her body is affected by many changes in the functioning of various systems. Every factor that can aggravate the condition of a woman during menstruation will be undesirable.
The effect of alcohol on menstruation
It is considered the norm when menstruation occurs regularly after a certain time and always the same number of days. The average length of the menstrual cycle is 28 days. But a deviation from this value is acceptable. No pathology is found if this indicator, if it is consistent for a given woman or girl, is in the range of 20 to 35 days. In this case, menstrual discharge is given from 2 to 7 days in a cycle, the first day of which begins with the appearance of menstruation.
Due to the use of alcohol changes the clearance in the blood vessels.
- First, alcohol allows the vessels to expand. At this point, blood begins to flow into the uterus with a vengeance.
- But after a few minutes the vessels narrow. Blood supply to the uterus may decrease.
- If alcohol was drunk before menstruation, narrowed vessels will not allow the endometrium rejection process to develop. Blood discharge lingers until the vessels recover, the cycle becomes longer.
- Alcohol, taken in the first days of menstruation, when the endometrium has already begun to exfoliate, makes menstruation unusually abundant.
- Endometrium is difficult to complete detachment when alcoholic beverages were consumed at the end of menstruation. Therefore, the critical days last longer than usual, the cycle is lost.
Why alcohol is better not to touch, and how alcohol affects your period, you can understand, if you learn more about its effects on the condition of a woman during menstruation.
- Physical activity. Improving mood, the appearance of relaxedness after taking wine, vodka and similar products causes the desire to move a lot and actively. With menstruation, this is not recommended due to the subsequent increase in bleeding.
- Against the background of alcohol intake, there is a craving for smoking, and more than usual, which is not indicated during menstruation, since nicotine leads to a narrowing of blood vessels.
- When the effect of alcohol passes after a short time, all negative symptoms accompanying PMS occur with double force:
- pain, abdominal cramps,
- bad mood, headache, weakness, migraine, dizziness,
- disruption in digestion, nausea.
- Alcohol accepted at the beginning of the menstrual cycle will remain in the form of traces and residues until the beginning of the next menstrual period, all the while poisoning the body.
In addition, the effect of alcohol leads to such violations:
- Complication of renal activity. If, during menstruation, the kidneys do not cope with the process of filtering fluid, sometimes swelling appears. Alcohol also increases the already large load on the excretory system, increasing the accumulation of harmful substances in the tissue fluid.
- The nervous tension increases. During menstruation, the emotional state is not stable and is characterized by irritation, tearfulness, intolerance, and very sharp emotional reactions. Alcohol aggravates them, shaking nerves even more.
- Uncontrollability of hormonal fluctuations. Estrogen and progesterone levels, key hormones that affect the flow of menstruation, are constantly changing on critical days. Alcohol, disrupting the normal activity of the brain, knocks the process of regulating their hormonal levels. This adversely affects the reproductive system. Involuntary contraction of the uterus or swelling of the breast may occur.
- Pressure jumps towards its increase or, which happens less often, decrease.
- Disrupted egg maturation process.
- Observed chromosomal changes.
- In fallopian tubes reduced patency.
- The size of the uterus is reduced.
Harm from alcohol during menstruation
If it is impossible to refuse alcohol consumption during menstruation, you should figure out how to reduce the harm of alcohol and what you can drink during menstruation. The most dangerous are drinks containing a higher percentage of alcohol - vodka, whiskey, brandy. They well expand vessels. Sometimes this can be useful. But since the effect of alcohol and all changes during menstruation aggravate each other, taking strong strong drinks, even in medicinal ones, seems to be unacceptable. Moreover, very quickly the alcohol ceases to have a positive effect, only negative consequences remain that worsen the situation even more.
Alcohol is not indicated during menstruation due to such negative reactions of the body when it is taken:
- the kidneys are affected,
- an overload gets the heart,
- blood vessels have to either expand or contract sharply, which causes their destruction,
- the brain loses its ability to control many functions
- кровь меняет свое состояние, эритроциты как бы склеиваются и сбиваются в «гроздья»,
- затрудняется поступление крови к нейронам, и они отмирают,
- печень страдает из-за необходимости очищать кровь от большого количества ядов,
- выработка гормонов меняется, репродуктивная система получает сбой.
Those who refused to vodka, but still drink beer, are also susceptible to the harmful effects of this drink. In beer, many components that cause fermentation, changing metabolism and hormones. As a result, acne appears on the face, fat deposits build up in the belt area, gas is formed in the stomach.
Those who are sexually active may have a delay due to pregnancy. But it will be difficult to determine the reason for the lack of menstruation, especially if alcohol was taken before the delay. Indeed, in the case of receiving alcohol before menstruation, blood discharge may be delayed by 2-3 days.
It is very harmful to influence menstruation in order to delay it or lengthen the discharge time. So deteriorates sexual function. But due to the large loss of blood, it is sometimes permissible to drink some red wine, contributing to the formation of new red blood cells. Do not drink large amounts of drink. In addition, red wine should be dry or semi-dry, high-quality. An exception is Cahors, you can drink it, even if it is sweet. In any case, the dose should be minimal. To improve blood formation, take the wine once a day, for example, during breakfast, a maximum of 35-40 grams, complementing it with honey and nuts. Drink in this case is possible only at the end of menstruation.
Why do you need to give up alcohol during menstruation
Despite the recommendations of many doctors, women, at times, continue to combine wine and menstruation. The fact that drinking alcohol during menstruation is impossible, they either do not know, or consciously violate this rule. But it always leads to a deterioration in life. First, there is a risk of acquiring the disease. If you drink alcohol during menstruation, failure of the reproductive system can lead to diseases such as
- inflammation of the appendages,
- loss of function of the fallopian tubes,
- ovarian extinction,
The second reason why you can not drink during menstruation, is a change in its course, the deterioration of the general condition of women. Especially if there are the following types of pathology of the reproductive system:
- the duration of the menstrual cycle is constantly changing, jumping,
- abundant periods or very few suddenly appear,
- during the period of menstruation, discharge does not change in volume, normally they should gradually decrease by the end of critical days,
- blobs appear in secretions
- on critical days severe pains are observed, the discharge changes color, smell, composition, volume,
- monthly delays of more than 3-4 days occur too often.
It should also be borne in mind that alcohol changes the effect of many drugs. If painkillers or other drugs prescribed by a doctor are taken, their effect can be reduced to zero. Negative mutual influence of drugs and alcohol can lead to allergies. In addition, due to alcohol, the symptoms of diseases can be blurred, illegible, which will lead to the loss of the optimal moment of the start of treatment.
To put the final point in the question, is it possible to drink alcohol during menstruation, has not yet succeeded. Most commonly, red wine is considered permitted. Disputes about whether alcohol can affect and cause a delay, virtually no. Everyone agrees that there is a direct connection. But data on whether red wine can cause menstruation is missing. There are only reports that during menstruation it increases the flow of discharge.
Doctors believe that drinking beer on critical days is impossible. The reason lies in the fact that a small percentage of alcohol leads to a large volume of consumption of the drink. But beer in any quantity causes hormonal failure, delayed bowel movements, gas formation in the intestines. This drink helps to eliminate fluid. Therefore, there may be dehydration, failure of water-salt balance.
To reduce the effect of alcohol, you need:
- take adsorbents, for example, activated carbon, as well as Polysorb,
- drink more pure water or green tea,
- eat a light meal with a minimum amount of fat, salt, sugar,
- reduce the consumption of bread, pasta, muffins, rice,
- eat beets and prunes.
Since it is not always the features of female physiology are the same for all the fair sex, the influence of alcohol can be manifested in each one in different ways. If discomfort occurs, unusual sensations, you need to contact a specialist for inspection. But if you already know about the presence in the body of the pathology, before taking alcohol on critical days, you need to find out from your doctor what you can eat and when.
There are a lot of reasons why people sometimes drink alcohol on critical days. But always alcohol has a detrimental effect on menstruation. Someone is the delay of menstruation due to alcohol. The other has an unusually heavy menstruation. The most harmful thing is to drink spirits and beer, without waiting for the end of menstruation. Cognac and vodka ultimately weaken the body, although at first it seems that everything happens the other way around. But it is not. Cocktails can be especially harmful. Mixing strong drink and carbonated, such as "ruff", is especially aggressive for the body. And during menstruation, when a calm, measured rhythm of life and lack of stress is necessary, such a shake has the most destructive effect on the state of all organs.
Sometimes, during the holidays, you may have to drink a small amount of good wine. But first it is worthwhile to weigh the possible consequences if during this period there is a menstruation. After all, on such days the body needs care. Therefore, it is better to wait for a quiet end of menstruation, it will help to maintain women's health.
Features of the passage of menstruation
The main indicator of women's health is the regular menstrual cycle. This indicates that the body is functioning properly and is ready for fertilization.
The main indicators of the health of the female body are the following factors:
- The monthly cycle should be 20–35 days. This is a period that starts from the first day of the critical days to the beginning of the next menstrual period. It must be continuous.
- The duration of bleeding should be 2-7 days.
Menstruation should have a pure scarlet color. Minimal blood clots are allowed.
- During the period of critical days, a woman loses about 250 ml of blood.
- There are no discomfort (severe pain, etc.).
The passage of critical days is influenced by a huge number of factors, including:
- stressful environment
- changing of the climate,
- leading a wrong lifestyle
- dirty environment
- overworking with physical exertion.
All this provokes unstable periods. Many girls complain of intolerable pain and other unpleasant symptoms that accompany them for months. Illegal drugs or alcohol help them to cope with them.
We will try to describe all the negative effects of alcohol during menstruation.
Abstain from alcohol or drink
The desire to facilitate the time of critical days is quite explicable. It is important to know for sure whether drinking alcohol will actually relieve a lot of unpleasant symptoms. Doctors have several opinions in this matter, which is confirmed by specialized scientific material.
During the period of critical days it is allowed to drink alcohol, but only in small doses. It will be enough to have one glass of wine (semi-dry or dry red) to reduce pain and relax. The type of drink consumed is also of great importance. In no case should you drink vodka, brandy, as well as other drinks of a similar strength.
According to another opinion, any alcohol during menstruation and in the premenstrual period is strictly prohibited. Experts answer the question why you can not drink during menstruation is very simple. It tends to intensify the bleeding. This should be noted by those girls who already have heavy periods.
After getting alcohol in the body of a woman, she may notice that the discharge has stopped. But after a certain period they will be resumed with greater intensity, which is quite dangerous.
Doctors are of the same opinion - beer is forbidden during menstruation. The main reason lies in the following: a small amount of alcohol in beer contributes to an increase in its use. In addition, an imbalance of hormones is provoked, gases form in the intestines, defecation is disturbed. This can lead to water and salt imbalances, or dehydration.
Often, women violate the recommendations of specialists about abstaining from wine on critical days, not paying attention to the deterioration of their sexual function. You can drink wine during menstruation only if it is dry or semi-dry red. It is not recommended to use it in large quantities. Enough to drink 35-40 grams of wine after breakfast and eat nuts with honey.
The effect of alcohol on menstruation
Does alcohol affect menstruation? Clearly, alcoholic beverages have an adverse effect, because because of them the clearance in the vessels of the circulatory system changes. Let us consider the mechanism of the influence of alcohol:
- alcohol dilates the blood vessels, after which blood with double force enters the uterus,
- after a couple of minutes, the vessels begin to narrow, and the rush of blood to the uterus decreases,
- in the case when alcohol is drunk before the period of menstruation, the vessels that have narrowed interfere with the process of rejection of the endometrium, blood excretion is delayed until they recover, and therefore the cycle becomes longer,
- Taking alcohol in the first days of menstruation, when the endometrium exfoliates, the profusion of the discharge increases.
The impact of alcohol on the female body
Increases the level of activity. There is a cheerful mood, easy looseness and a desire to move a lot. During menstruation, high activity is undesirable, because it can increase bleeding.
The use of alcoholic beverages causes the desire to smoke, which is also undesirable, because nicotine contributes to the narrowing of blood vessels.
After alcohol intoxication, all the symptoms of PMS (spasms and pain in the abdomen, dizziness, headaches, nervousness and worsening of mood) are doubly aggravated.
In addition, alcohol leads to other problems of a negative nature:
- Complication of renal activity. When, during menstruation, the kidneys cannot cope with their function of filtering fluids, women develop edema. Accordingly, this leads to the fact that harmful substances accumulate in the tissue fluid.
- There is a nervous tension. The irritation and the whining mood are aggravated, and the emotional state is shaken even more.
- There is a hormonal fluctuation, which is explained by the violation of the stable activity of the brain. This will adversely affect the female reproductive system. In certain cases, involuntary contraction of the uterus and swelling of the breast may occur.
- Rides pressure.
- The natural process of maturation of the female egg is disrupted.
- Changes appear in the chromosomes.
- Patency in the fallopian tubes is reduced.
- May decrease sexual desire.
- Excessive use of alcohol can cause infertility.
- A potential mother increases the likelihood of miscarriage.
- Alcoholism provokes many female diseases. Excessive consumption of alcoholic beverages leads to a tightening of the menstrual cycle, or vice versa - to its delay. Both of these cases will entail unpleasant consequences for women.
The reactions of each woman to alcohol may be different, but the most common is increased bleeding, due to the expansion of blood vessels and increased blood flow to the pelvic organs.
Based on the above, the answer to the question of whether it is possible to drink alcohol during menstruation is clearly negative. But, in our life there can be various circumstances, when it is not possible to refrain from drinking alcohol because of the upcoming celebration and long-awaited holidays. In this case, it remains only not to aggravate the situation and adhere to the following rules:
- it is better to drink red wines and limit one drink to a glass, especially you should not drink champagne,
- it is not recommended to drink homemade tinctures from various fees and herbs, because their use can increase the intensity of blood secretions,
- you need to try to limit your activity,
- for snack alcohol you need to use only non-greasy food, salads, fruits and vegetables, seafood is also allowed,
- it is necessary to exclude smoking or reduce the number of cigarettes smoked,
- less nervous, because during this period a person is so emotionally unstable and has shaky nerves,
- drink activated carbon or other types of adsorbents,
- consume more fluid.
The reasons for drinking in this special period for each woman may be different. It is worth remembering that, regardless of them, alcohol adversely affects the body of the weaker sex. Sometimes, this is accompanied by a delay in bleeding, and in another case - too heavy monthly.
It is not allowed to use such strong drinks as vodka or brandy until the end of menstruation, because they weaken the body. Mixed cocktails can provoke a particular hazard, which have a rather aggressive effect, as well as champagne, because it will contribute to bloating, the pressure on the uterus will increase and the bowels will get worse.
Before you drink alcohol during critical days, you need to weigh the pros and cons, because the girl's body during the month requires care. The information provided on our website should be enough to make an informed decision that will help to preserve your female health.
Features of female physiology
To begin with, we will make a small digression and consider what menstruation is, and what factors influences it.
The first critical days occur in girls at the age of 12-14 years old, at this very time their reproductive stage begins, which ends with the last menstrual periods of approximately 50-55 years. The presence of menstruation suggests that the female reproductive system is working properly, and the woman herself has every chance of getting pregnant and carrying out the child.
The average duration of the menstrual cycle is 28 days, but it can vary between 21-35 days and this is the norm, because not the duration of the cycle, but its regularity is important. During critical days, the female body is renewed, the uterus gets rid of excess endometrium, which comes out in the form of blood and clots. The process of "cleansing" lasts 3-7 days. He is under the control of the pituitary gland, which synthesizes hormones necessary for the work of the female body.
Many factors can influence the duration, volume and intensity of pain during menstruation:
- general health of a woman
- psychological and emotional state
- atmosphere at home and at work
- ecological situation,
- bad habits, especially the effects of alcohol and cigarettes,
- improper nutrition.
In normal menstruation pass with mild discomfort, without any pronounced symptoms. But with a certain combination of the above factors, there can be excruciating pains in the sacrum and lower abdomen, weakness, drowsiness, and poor health.
Alcohol consumption on a monthly basis
Women can drink alcohol during menstruation with a different purpose. Sometimes this period simply overlaps with the celebration of an important event, and some women use alcohol as an anesthetic for severe pain during menstruation. Each of these reasons is not significant, because in any case alcohol has a negative effect on the body. Consider how alcohol affects a woman during her period.
If a woman drank a light alcohol or beer during menstruation, then definitely it will increase the intensity of discharge. If alcohol was drunk not on the first, but on the penultimate-last critical day, then the monthly can last for another 1-2 days.
When menstruation occurs, women may experience various symptoms caused by hormonal changes. It can be headache, pain in the lower abdomen and in the back, which are also caused by changes in the nervous tissue and contractions of the uterine muscles, poor health and breast swelling. If a woman is sure that it is symptoms of critical days, and not another pathology, then it is quite acceptable to drink a glass of wine to relieve stress and improve emotional state. If the pains are very strong, then you should not blunt them with alcohol, since they may indicate the presence of diseases of the uterus or its appendages. Alcohol can cover up the exacerbation of a disease, and miss the moment to cure it.
You can not combine alcohol with painkillers, since the reaction of each organism may be different. Such a combination can cause allergies, an increase or decrease in blood pressure and other consequences, which we will discuss further.
Consequences of drinking alcohol
Последствия употребления алкоголя во время месячных могут быть самыми разными, ведь спиртное влияет на весь организм женщины без исключения, особенно в период, когда его защитные функции существенно снижены. Спиртное, выпитое в критические дни, может стать причиной следующих патологий и негативных процессов в женском организме:
- alcohol can lead to vasospasm, which can block the release of fluids from the tissues. As a result, swelling occurs, blood pressure drops, and the woman’s well-being deteriorates significantly,
- Alcohol is really dull pain for a short time, but not more than half an hour, while the passage of nerve impulses is blocked along the nerve endings. But with a decrease in the effect of alcohol, the woman’s condition deteriorates dramatically, because the pain does not go anywhere, but only disguises,
- during menstruation, a woman has an imbalance of estrogen and progesterone in the body, which causes emotional distress, depression and irritability, and drinking alcohol only increases psycho-emotional imbalance,
- If you treat the pain of premenstrual alcohol with alcohol, this can significantly affect the cycle. However, it may become as irregular, and its duration will change,
- alcohol has a diuretic property, and during menstruation it is possible exacerbation of chronic cystitis, or simply frequent and painful urination occurs, thus, alcohol can only worsen the woman’s well-being.
In some cases, the use of even small doses of alcohol during menstruation is strictly prohibited:
- abundant and long periods,
- frequent delay of menstruation,
- small duration of the period between critical days,
- inflammatory processes in the urea,
- severe pain during menstruation, the cause of which can be not so much a delicate period as a serious illness.
How alcohol affects your period
No specialist has any doubt that alcohol during menstruation is harmful to the female body. This question is repeatedly discussed in the specialized literature and is confirmed by a multitude of studies, but at the moment there is no reliable information about the specific allowable dosage of alcohol consumption during the menstrual period. Consider how alcohol can affect a woman who uses it during critical days:
- due to alcohol, the duration of menstrual flow may increase by 2-3 days,
- if a woman tries to cope with the pains caused by premenstrual syndrome by drinking alcohol, then there can be a delay in menstruation for a period from several hours to several days,
- the use of strong alcohol unambiguously becomes a cause of increased bleeding. Studies show that normally a woman loses up to 250 ml of blood in one menstruation, but after trying to eliminate the pain syndrome with vodka, brandy or any other strong alcoholic drink, the blood loss reaches 600 ml. This is a significant amount of blood, the loss of which can greatly affect a woman’s well-being,
- During menstruation, many women may experience blood pressure spikes, because of alcohol, such a condition can only get worse, because alcohol causes dilation of blood vessels and then their spasm, especially when combined with smoking cigarettes, which is very often accompanied by drinking excessive amounts alcoholic beverages.
If we talk about wines, then there are still disagreements among specialists, since some consider them to be useful and even necessary for blood loss, while others refer to alcoholic and, therefore, forbidden to drink during monthly drinks. In fact, the mechanism of the effect of red wine on the hormonal background of a woman during menstrual flow has not been studied enough, so even though it helps to improve blood clotting and restore its circulation in blood vessels, it is better to drink wine in limited quantities, with great care and only dry.
Alcohol Use Rules
The activity of the female body does not depend on the festive dates in the calendar, it has no days off, so it often happens that the period of menstruation is at the time of the festivities with feasts and, of course, drinking. The best option would be a complete rejection of the use of beer and strong alcohol, but sometimes a woman just wants to pamper herself a little. In such cases, the following rules for drinking alcohol during critical days should be taken into account:
- According to experts, red wine has a beneficial effect on the recovery of the body after blood loss, but this does not mean that you need to drink a whole bottle of wine. To activate the recovery function, it is enough to consume a glass of red wine, preferably dry or semi-dry, for the whole evening. Wine is useful only in small quantities, you can drink no more than 0.15-0.2 liters per evening,
- the use of whiskey, brandy, rum, vodka should be strictly limited, as strong alcoholic beverages adversely affect the female body. Also, you can not drink cocktails based on them,
- you should not drink champagne during this period, since it can cause intestinal distention, which is highly undesirable during menstruation, because enlarged colon loops can put pressure on the uterus and thereby increase bleeding,
- drinking beer during critical days is also not worth it, although it is not a strong alcoholic drink, but it causes fermentation, and excessive consumption of beer with an inopportune emptying of the bladder can cause pressure on the uterus and increased bleeding,
- during parties and holidays you should be calm, dance slow dances, not take part in competitions related to excessive physical activity,
- no way to smoke. The combination of alcohol and tobacco adversely affects the walls of blood vessels, which leads to increased bleeding. Cigarettes can provoke spasms of blood vessels in the brain and, as a result, to problems with the central nervous system,
- when drinking alcohol during critical days, a woman needs to drink an extra large amount of water and juices in order to increase the work of the excretory system and increase the volume of liquid blood. Such measures help to reduce the impact of alcohol on the female body,
- On drinking feasts, you need to eat lean fish, meat with steamed vegetables, or vegetable salads, that is, food should be light and quickly digested.
Rules of conduct during critical days
To reduce the manifestation of the unpleasant symptoms of premenstrual syndrome and menstruation itself, you need to practice some tips from gynecologists. Their recommendations are very simple and with careful observance they really help to cope with the discomfort associated with the onset of menstruation. Experts give the following tips:
- during menstruation, it is desirable to follow a diet. A woman should not eat fatty and spicy food, fried foods and pastries are not recommended. You also need to exclude from the diet those foods that can cause fermentation, bloating and increased gas formation, as well as cause constipation or diarrhea,
- to compensate for blood loss during menstruation, it is imperative to adhere to the drinking regime. It is best to use juice, pure water or green tea. Some women have a question, is it possible to restore the water balance with beer, the answer is definitely “no”, because beer belongs to low-alcohol beverages, which do not benefit even healthy people, not to mention the weakened body of a woman during critical days. Drinking beer can only increase blood loss and cause problems with the stool,
- Stagnation of feces and urine should not be allowed, because during menstruation, any problems with excretion of waste products may cause an effect on the uterus and, as a result, cause an increase in bleeding,
- It is not necessary to push the female body to excessive physical exertion, to keep the body in shape you can walk on foot and do your favorite household chores.
Some women think that alcohol can relieve menstrual pain and other manifestations of critical days, but this is a misconception that can, on the contrary, harm health. With a pronounced pain syndrome during menstruation, you should definitely seek medical help, because in 15-20% of cases this may be a sign of a woman having problems in the genital area that require special treatment.
In this delicate time, a woman should not even use drugs with an alcohol content, and not something that alcoholic beverages. To restore blood loss, you can drink a glass of red wine, but not earlier than 2-3 days after their termination. If a woman has any controversial questions regarding diet, drinking and other aspects of life during the onset of menstruation, the advice is better to ask a specialist in female consultation.
The whole truth: how alcohol affects your period
The fact that alcohol (especially beer and spirits) negatively affects the female body is irrefutable. Some exceptions are permissible for dry red wine. And the safe dose for an average female weight is 70 ml per day. But often women during the period of PMS and during menstruation consume alcoholic beverages in much higher dosages. The reason for this - the desire to reduce pain in the abdomen and normalize mood. Unfortunately, it is not always safe.
To the question whether it is possible to drink alcohol during menstruation, there is still no definitive answer. Some doctors absolutely forbid it during this period of the female cycle. Others cannot forbid something that supposedly helps patients reduce pain. There are experts who, on the contrary, recommend taking 100-200 grams of alcohol to women whose periods are too painful.
The main effects of alcohol on a woman’s body during menstruation can be described as follows:
- Expands vessels of smooth muscles. This especially applies to cognac and vodka. Moreover, if brandy first expands the lumen of blood vessels, and then spasms it, then the use of vodka leads to a persistent expansion of the vessel, and the resultant blood supply to the body. In the case of a bleeding uterus, this can lead to even more discharge and even true bleeding. Moreover, at first it may seem that the monthly have stopped, and then they will begin with even greater force (they will become abundant monthly).
- Toxic effect of ethanol on the liver. One of the stages of the transformation of estrogen (the main female hormone) occurs in the liver. Permanent damage to its tissue will lead to the woman losing a significant part of her body's estrogen. Namely, this hormone is responsible for beauty, youth and visual appeal.
- Intake of hormones from the outside. In the production of certain types of beer, a small amount of free estrogen is produced. If you excessively consume this drink, you can face the negative effects of a high concentration of estrogen in the body: abdominal obesity, pathology of the kidneys and pancreas.
- The effect of addiction to alcohol. Its constant use to facilitate the flow of menstruation leads to the fact that the woman becomes unable to continue to endure the critical days without doping in the form of alcoholic beverages.
On the one hand, with such a number of terrible side effects of alcohol, it becomes clear the answer to the question "is it possible to drink alcohol during menstruation". But, how to be to those representatives of the fair sex, for whom alcoholic beverages during PMS and on critical days are a real salvation?
Hello, Angelina, 20 years old. Why not drink alcohol during menstruation? A glass of brandy helps me a lot before a meal on the first two days of menstruation.
Good afternoon, Angelina. I would not recommend you to use strong alcohol to relieve pain, especially in such volumes. There are other ways to eliminate pain. Please contact your gynecologist for a specialist to select an effective method of pain relief for you.
Is it possible to drink strong alcohol during your period?
You can definitely answer that during menstruation you can not drink strong alcohol. Such alcohol is generally contraindicated for the female body. Its detrimental effect on prolonged use affects every organ.
Some women with a very severe PMS (premenstrual syndrome) resort to the use of strong alcohol to reduce the symptoms of the disease, normalize mood and remove excessive anxiety before menstruation. Often, such a desire leads to the opposite effect of increasing the symptoms of PMS. The use of strong alcohol is a trigger for sudden mood swings, headaches and, conversely, aggravates the condition of a woman.
In addition, during the period before menstruation, a woman may already be pregnant. There is no delay yet and she may not be aware of her interesting position. And the use of alcohol is one of the main reasons for termination of pregnancy in the early stages, as well as the birth of children with anomalies that are incompatible with life.
Good afternoon, Tatyana, 26 years old. A week ago I went too far with taking strong alcohol. Now there is a delay of menstruation for 3 days. Tell me, can you not go for periods because of alcohol? Thank.
Hello, Tatiana, the cause of failure of the menstrual cycle and delays can be, as an unplanned pregnancy, and excessive alcohol consumption. I recommend you to do an ultrasound of the pelvic organs, as well as in the case of a weekly delay, to conduct a rapid pregnancy test.
During menstruation: pro and con
Despite the fact that beer, to a lesser extent than strong alcohol, has a negative effect on the nervous system, it is also not recommended for menstruation. There are cases when women take warm beer to reduce pain. Perhaps this drink and helps to cope with pain. But due to the fact that hops (the main ingredient in the production) is rich in phytoestrogens, the constant regular use of this drink leads to the following consequences:
- dry and flaky skin, brittle nails and loss of hair shine,
- type C gastritis, peptic ulcer,
- thyroid pathology,
- violation of mineral metabolism (including the main feature - osteoporosis),
- diseases of the liver and biliary tract (hepatitis, cholestasis),
- reproductive impairment and infertility.
It is worth remembering that women, who often drink beer, almost always face an irregular menstrual cycle, lack of ovulation and painful critical days.
Hello, Victoria, 19 years old. Can I drink beer during menstruation? If a few glasses a day to remove the pain in the abdomen.
Hello Victoria Beer with menstruation can reduce pain. But doctors do not recommend drinking this drink on critical days.
Doctors recommend drinking red wine during menstruation.
Menstruation is a natural process that does not have to restrict a woman these days. And of course, you should not cancel an important event, where you need a few drinks, you should not. In this case, of all the alcohol is better to give preference to dry red wine.
In general, when dealing with painful menstruation, you can choose one of several options:
- endure the pain while doing meditation
- take a pharmacological agent (pain reliever),
- drink 1 dose of dry red wine.
The harm that can be caused by painkillers is not always the same as or less than the harm from an alcoholic beverage. If you take into account the beneficial properties of dry red wine, then use 1 dose of this drink (50-100 ml) once a day during menstruation is no worse than a strong medical anesthesia.
Hello, is it possible to drink red wine during menstruation? Maria, 34 years old.
Hello Maria. Allowed to take one dose of dry red wine a day during menstruation.
General information about menstruation
Menstruation is a natural physiological process that occurs in a woman’s body every month. It begins at 11 - 15 years and ends with menopause at 45 - 55 years. Normally, the menstrual cycle should meet the following characteristics:
- be from 20 to 35 days (it is about the cycle, and not about the monthly, that is, the period from the first day of the beginning of the month to the first day of the next menstruation),
- the cycle should be constant (the error is allowed in one direction or another in 1 - 3 days),
- menstruation itself should have a duration of 2 to 7 days,
- discharges during menstruation are scarlet blood, small blood clots may be present in small quantities,
- blood loss during one period should be from 50 to 150 ml,
- menstruation should not be accompanied by discomfort for women in the form of pain, etc.
However, too many factors affect the course of menstruation: poor ecology, lifestyle, general health, stress, physical exertion, abrupt climate change, unfavorable psychological atmosphere and other negative factors can lead to the fact that menstruation begins to proceed with deviations from the norm. При любом из отклонений необходимо показаться гинекологу, чтобы избежать проблем со здоровьем в будущем. Патологией считаются:
- менструальный цикл, который длится менее 20 или более 35 дней,
- цикл нерегулярный, сопровождается частыми задержками, или, наоборот, месячные наступают существенно раньше срока,
- menstruation lasts less than 2 days or more than a week, while the bleeding either has the same intensity throughout the entire period (that is, does not decrease), or “smear” is observed,
- the amount of discharge during menstruation is less than 50 or more than 150 ml,
- secretions are blood clots,
- menstruation is accompanied by severe pain, loss of strength, weakness, dizziness, etc.,
- menstruation is very scarce or, conversely, very abundant, or does not occur at all (in the absence of pregnancy and menopause).
The vast majority of modern women can not boast easily and imperceptibly flowing menstruation. To cope with unpleasant or painful symptoms, each woman uses her own recipes. One of the most common is the use of alcoholic beverages before and during menstruation. But can this be done?
How to behave during menstruation
Simple recommendations of gynecologists will help every woman to easily and imperceptibly endure critical days, get rid of unpleasant symptoms:
- You need to drink as much fluid as possible. Excellent options are juices, green tea, pure water.
- You should not eat fatty, spicy, spicy foods, sweets, and you also need to limit the consumption of chocolate and coffee.
- It is not necessary to lie during menstruation, but at the same time, excessive physical exertion should be avoided. Light exercise in the morning is an excellent option, but running, swimming, cycling, shaping and other active workouts should be abandoned.
- It is necessary to regularly empty the bladder and intestines to prevent excessive pressure on the uterus.
- It is necessary to take care of positive emotions: for example, to watch a favorite movie or take a walk in nature, in the park. A leisurely walk, a calm environment - this is exactly what will help to cope with the tearfulness, touchiness and other mood swings.
- If you suffer severe pain, do not need to self-medicate. This is a good reason to turn to a gynecologist, because in normal menstruation should not cause discomfort to a woman, especially such strong painful sensations. If the pain is unbearable, you can drink painkillers, but as soon as the menstrual period passes, you should definitely consult a doctor. Medicines prescribed for themselves, not a panacea in this case.
If you plan any feast, then you can afford to drink no more than one glass of dry red wine. But only those girls with monthly periods accompanied by scanty or medium discharge can afford it. Girls with heavy bleeding should abstain from alcohol altogether.
What if alcohol was consumed during menstruation?
Life dictates its own rules, and it is possible that for a period of critical days a girl may plan some kind of celebration, corporate party, meeting, date, etc. Of course, if a girl refuses alcohol, this will not be perceived as something strange, compared with the refusal of the man. And it will be the right choice for her. But if a girl nevertheless decided not to deny herself the pleasures of life and have fun from the heart, it is important to adhere to certain rules so that alcohol does not have a negative effect on the body, which already experiences some stress during menstruation.
- Prefer red wine. If this drink is not on the table, you can drink champagne or light wine. Very strong drinks should not be drunk categorically. These include vodka, brandy, rum, gin, whiskey, etc.
- Drink in very moderate quantities. During the evening, you can drink 1 glass of wine or champagne, so it is best to drink it slowly, stretching to last for the whole evening.
- No matter how great the desire to dance, but from the fast dance should be abandoned, preferring slow. The fact is that active movements will increase blood flow to the small pelvis, which can further enhance blood circulation and increase blood loss.
- It is necessary to give up smoking, because in combination with alcohol it represents a dangerous “cocktail” for vessels: alcohol expands the vessels, and nicotine narrows. This may also adversely affect the course of menstruation.
- If possible, give preference to light dishes that are quickly digested: lean meat, fish, salads, stewed vegetables.
These simple rules will help reduce the negative impact of alcohol on the course and nature of menstruation, as well as to prevent possible serious consequences. But the most important of these rules is moderate drinking, otherwise the whole body will be damaged.
Physiology of the female body
Nature has endowed women with “critical days” for a reason — this is due to reproductive function. Spotting is necessary in order to clear the uterus from already dead eggs and sperm that have accumulated there (if they got there), as well as unsuccessful embryos that failed to attach to the epithelium.
Menstruation is over, and the body begins to prepare for a new cycle to ensure normal conditions for fertilization. Conception is planned or not, nature is not interested - the body should be ready for it every month.
Ideally, such cycling for women is a routine for which she prepares each time. Menstruation should be painless, not abundant and bring the woman light inconvenience within 3-4 days. In reality, everything is more complicated - pain in many people begins to appear even before the menstrual cycle begins. Cramps affect not only the stomach - the headache also hurts (some even have pressure).
In such a situation, some women try to rest in critical days, while others (if they are not very bloody) continue to lead an active lifestyle. In this rhythm, trips to visit or a restaurant, or friendly gatherings with girlfriends over a glass of wine can arise. But is it possible to take alcohol during menstruation, or is it fraught with consequences?
The influence of alcohol on the body
The influence of alcohol on the woman's body
Drinking alcohol is in itself a bad habit, but there are situations in life when you don’t get around this point. A wedding, anniversary or just a name day traditionally do not do without taking alcohol. Here we are not talking about whether to drink or not to drink, the main thing is to know the measure in order to enjoy the holiday.
In other situations, women with alcohol relieve stress or try to relax in such a way after intense events. This is not a crime if there is no abuse that develops into a strong habit.
At each of the situations described, the onset of menstruation may occur, but women rarely think about whether to drink alcohol during menstruation or not. But alcohol in this period can have a negative impact, making the days even more critical.
- Alcohol promotes the expansion of blood vessels, thereby accelerating blood circulation. Such drinks can increase menstruation, turning it into bleeding.
- Ethyl alcohol affects the work of the kidneys and inhibits the elimination of excess fluid from the body, which already adversely affects the metabolism. Periods also have an effect on this process, so brute force on critical days can end in puffiness.
- Any change in the hormonal background adversely affects the psycho-emotional state, with which a woman sometimes tries to cope with the help of alcohol. But alcohol only acts excitingly in the first few minutes, then comes the “reaction of suppression”.
Red and white wines
Once at the holiday table, a woman during menstruation can afford to consume a small amount of alcohol. But here's what you can drink, and what better to give up - this nuance should not be ignored.
- When the pressure rises, it is recommended to "take on the chest" a little brandy. He, indeed, quickly expands blood vessels and relieves headaches. But at the same time, menstrual bleeding will increase. It should be borne in mind that the short-term vasodilator effect - as soon as cognac disappears from the body, the vessels narrow very quickly, which can lead to rupture of the capillaries.
- Vodka, brandy, whiskey and other similar beverages with a high alcohol content are not only a blow to the kidneys, but also to the heart. This alcohol clogs the blood vessels, making the blood "poor quality". Since he was taken at the beginning of the monthly cycle, the remains of alcohol will circulate throughout the body until the next menstruation, bringing negative to all organs.
- Beer at any stage does not have the best effect on metabolism - from here, fans of this drink have excessive fullness, acne on the face. Menstruation = is also a failure, and when 2 factors overlap each other, the effect is enhanced. In addition, during menstruation, a woman may have signs of intestinal upset, which is exacerbated by beer fermentation.
Wines are an easier option, but here there are some nuances. It should be a quality drink, not a cheap “waggle”. In this case, preference should be given to red varieties - they are credited with medicinal properties.
A number of recommendations
After finding out how alcohol affects menstruation, and which drinks should be discarded, a woman will be more circumspect on critical days. Once at the holiday table, it is advisable to follow the recommendations below.
- Of all types of alcoholic beverages, the choice should be stopped on a good red dessert wine - it has the lowest percentage of negative impact on the female body.
- Limit should be a small amount of alcohol - 1-2 glasses of wine for the whole day will be enough.
- You can not mix alcoholic beverages, and it is also desirable to abandon cocktails (especially the so-called ruffs) - each component in its own way affects the body, which can introduce it into a stressful situation.
- You need to be more careful in the choice of snacks - during menstruation, it is desirable to spare your digestive system, which is already subject to failure due to critical days. Vegetable salads, fish dishes, light cold cuts, cheeses - the best option.
- Nicotine is another malicious element that can complicate critical days. In combination with ethyl alcohol, cigarettes become a dangerous mixture that can provoke painful uterine spasms.
- When consuming alcohol during menstruation, you should exclude coffee - too much stress will go to the brain vessels and the heart.
- Absorb the effects of alcohol on the body will help green tea. It also has a positive effect on the psycho-emotional state, relieves spasmodic symptoms and helps to slightly slow down blood secretion.
Assessing the degree of negativity on your body, you should refuse to take alcohol during menstruation, so as not to harm your condition. But after they stop, some red wine will be a good remedy for blood recovery. It is recommended to drink 2 tbsp before breakfast for 3-4 days after the critical days. l red wine with lemon juice (a few drops) or add honey and walnuts to the drink.